It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:17 am 

Because we know all the weaknesses...don't let them bite you, destroy the brain, type of thing...I mean even my 4 year old nefew know that!

I was thinking about the chance of something like that trying to spread, and it hit me that it would have a very hard time...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 am 

Yep pretty much the reason why most zombie movies and TV use the whole alternate universe where no one knows what a zombie is trope. So you get zombies being called all sorts of other things instead of zombie.

Even in those shows and movies though there tends to be a learning curve and by a certain point the zombies themselves aren't that big of a threat and the threat is turned to other humans. Walking Dead is a good example of this due to how long it has been running. The crew is pretty used to dealing with the zombies by now. They don't just freak out and shoot. They take their time use knives and save their bullets. It is the people they worry about. And it is the people who end up being the threat. if it wasn't for the Gov they would still be sitting pretty in the prison. If it wasn't for the Terminites being cannibals they would have taken over that place and made it home. If the Hospital wasn't a slave labor camp Beth would not have been killed. If it wasn't for the Wolves Alexandria would have been a lot safer. Etc....

And as I have said discussing zombie killing weaponry a bunch of wood chippers turned on would grind up a lot of zombies. They would feed themselves into the wood chippers and solve a lot of problems. Then there are mine sweepers, brush clearing devices, and so many other vehicles that could literally mow down herds of zombies.

Would zombies be inconvenient? Sure they would. But it is unlikely in our universe that they would be as big a problem as the movies make them out to be.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:54 am 

ineffableone wrote:

Terminites

Never heard them called that. :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:05 pm 

Only if you are willing to shoot your four year old nephew in the face if he becomes infected. They don't really play that up enough in the movies. Those that die early on in the movies are the ones that can't make the hard choices like that. Since Zombies aren't real, you will never have to find out the answer to that question.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:
Only if you are willing to shoot your four year old nephew in the face if he becomes infected. They don't really play that up enough in the movies. Those that die early on in the movies are the ones that can't make the hard choices like that. Since Zombies aren't real, you will never have to find out the answer to that question.

Agree up to a point. However your personal zombocalypse could involve job loss, storm caused loss of basic services, family drug addiction - there are many scenarios where you might have to make hard choices.

Does your 14 year old nephew get addicted to meth and hold a knife to your daughter's throat? Shoot him in the face then?

What if here's rioting after the elections and your family members are taking part and you're a volunteer state defence or national guard?

I'm mindful of both tinfoil hat and politics territory, so I'll just observe that there are internet memes about soldiers firing on preppers designated "domestic terrorists" or "hoarders" by their chain of command. Will you obey such orders? How will you tell if they are lawful or not in the middle of MOUT?

In real life: Rwandan genocide saw family members on either side of the conflict. A contractor I work with was a cop in Cyprus during their civil problems: he was inside the palace shooting out at his best mate who was outside shooting in.

All I'm saying is, these things happen and convincing yourself they won't is a good way to make you freeze instead of react when confronted by a reality you don't like.

and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia in paperback, ebook or kindle:
http://Www.lulu.com/spotlight/JustinLuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:18 pm 

Most Zombie stories follow the classic zombie story line. Shambling, slow , after the initial outbreak you only turn into a zombie if bit. The zombies are portrayed as predators but without any natural predator behaviors. The hordes are infrequent and usually manageable. Which if you stop to think about it, a zombie apocalypse with small groups of survivors would mean gigantic mega hordes. It's just all a good yarn with no actual basis on the realities that would ensue if something like that were to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Does your 14 year old nephew get addicted to meth and hold a knife to your daughter's throat? Shoot him in the face then?

I'd argue that a 14 year old zombie is a little easier to shoot than a 4 year old. A teenager can easily be a deadly threat in normal times but a four year old lacks the capacity to be a deliberate threat to anyone.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm 

First: The real "Zombie Apocalypse" has already happened in my mind; it's not a matter for me what I should do "when it happens"; it's a matter of "What should I do NOW that it has happened?!" The world as we knew it ended over a decade ago; not with a bang, but with a whimper. The Zombie Plague was a disease called Corruption; it slowly worked it's way into this Host Organism known as civilization, and has been slowly eating it's way to the heart and mind of the creature.

Second: A stereotypical "classic" zombie apocalypse is actually even MORE possible these days than it used to be. Ever hear of Biological Warfare? One little artificially engineered super-virus that sends the amygdala into a frenzy could be launched on an unsuspecting population at any moment. Only there would be no "magical immunity" as portrayed in the movies; you'd be just as much a mindless animal as your neighbor would be. The only hope you would have is if you were one of the scientists who actually BUILT the cursed virus and had the foresight to concoct a vaccine and inoculated yourself in advance. It'll be up to the people who launched the attack who gets to be a human being and who gets to be a mindless, flesh-hungry zombie.

--Pliny the Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm 

Quote:
First: The real "Zombie Apocalypse" has already happened in my mind; it's not a matter for me what I should do "when it happens"; it's a matter of "What should I do NOW that it has happened?!" The world as we knew it ended over a decade ago; not with a bang, but with a whimper. The Zombie Plague was a disease called Corruption; it slowly worked it's way into this Host Organism known as civilization, and has been slowly eating it's way to the heart and mind of the creature.

Said by every generation since Ogg the cave man invented speech

Quote:
Second: A stereotypical "classic" zombie apocalypse is actually even MORE possible these days than it used to be. Ever hear of Biological Warfare? One little artificially engineered super-virus that sends the amygdala into a frenzy could be launched on an unsuspecting population at any moment. Only there would be no "magical immunity" as portrayed in the movies; you'd be just as much a mindless animal as your neighbor would be. The only hope you would have is if you were one of the scientists who actually BUILT the cursed virus and had the foresight to concoct a vaccine and inoculated yourself in advance. It'll be up to the people who launched the attack who gets to be a human being and who gets to be a mindless, flesh-hungry zombie

There has never been ( and isn't likely to be ) any virus that can reanimate a dead body. So that being determined, shooting the infected is nothing short of murder.
Human targeted Biological warfare is considered a crime against humanity . It is designed to quickly incapacitate and kill off a population leaving the infrastructure intact. Any nation committing this kind of genocide would quickly find itself an outlaw among nations. A much more likely biological attack would be a attack that decimates our crops or livestock. Think wheat blast, African swine fever among others
Here's a list of what is considered a danger of being used as weapons
https://www.selectagents.gov/SelectAgentsandToxins.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 am 

flybynight wrote:
Said by every generation since Ogg the cave man invented speech

I bet so. It's a cycle after all; society is born, it builds itself up, then collapses, rebuilds from the ashes, rises again, often stronger than the last time, collapses, rebuilds, collapses, and so on and so forth. I think we're in the middle of Falling once again. Things'll be better in fifty years or so, but then our grandchildren will have to start preparing for their generation's Fall. ....It's kinda beautiful in a way.....like a heartbeat.

flybynight wrote:
There has never been ( and isn't likely to be ) any virus that can reanimate a dead body. So that being determined, shooting the infected is nothing short of murder.
Human targeted Biological warfare is considered a crime against humanity . It is designed to quickly incapacitate and kill off a population leaving the infrastructure intact. Any nation committing this kind of genocide would quickly find itself an outlaw among nations. A much more likely biological attack would be a attack that decimates our crops or livestock. Think wheat blast, African swine fever among others
Here's a list of what is considered a danger of being used as weapons
https://www.selectagents.gov/SelectAgentsandToxins.html

Ah, indeed; I don't believe in viral re-animation of the dead; didn't realize the OP was talking about THAT kind of "classic" haha, (I just kinda assumed everybody here knew that was bullshit. =P ).

Haha; indeed, human targeted biological warfare is indeed a crime against humanity. It's happened before, probably will happen again, if it's not already happening right now; some people just don't give a flying fuck about playing by the rules anymore than they care about becoming an outlaw among nations; just look at Sudan, Syria, Iran, Uzbekistan even; they've hated our infidel guts with a passion their entire existence; I can't assume that they give a shit about being liked by anyone in this world. Yet, our own country has aided them on numerous occasions, hoping for a civilized and diplomatic relationship with those fucking whack jobs. They accept our money and our weapons, use them to fight all their own little wars, blowing up our guys in the crossfire no doubt. You'd think our nations leaders would finally get it through their thick skulls that there's just no reasoning with some people, we oughta let them hate us for free instead of giving them shit, and then we oughta just turn the place into glass and string up any of the stragglers before they can spread their filthy dogmas elsewhere to inspire more little jihadists looking to make a name for themselves in the Holy War. =P

I dunno; maybe things will be different under President Trump, I kinda doubt it though. Sure, he was preferable to the opposing party, but at the end of the day, he's just another egotistical megalomaniac wanting to make a name for himself in America's own personal Holy War. Like I said; people are animals; even the nicest ones. Push someone hard enough, take away their food for a few days, keep them up too late past there bedtime, or what-have-you, the former oh-so-civilized exterior falls away and the raw human carnality is laid bare for all to see. We're all products of our environment; creatures of instinct, and self-preservation. In the end...it's kinda hard to see the world in terms of right and wrong; "rules" and "laws" just kinda lose their weight, ya know? I mean sure, we hold such boundaries dear and close to the heart right now...but eventually everyone's got a breaking point. Given the right circumstances, a man can do anything.

PS: Haha, here's another fun thought: With the new advances in robotics, weaponized nanotechnology is just around the corner. Theoretically, an itsy bitsy teeny tiny robot could be programmed to fly in your ear/up your nose/crawl into your mouth in your sleep, maneuver itself into your brain, then sends out sonic vibrations which make you start to lose your mind. Hallucinations, mood swings, blind rages, delusions of grandeur, the whole friggin' works hahaha.

PPS: Check out your local meth-heads; there's some Zombie Apocalypse action for ya right there haha; straight up. XD

--Pliny the Elder