It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What percentage would you give your home on being able to withstand a zombie attack?
1. I give it 100%, we're impervious! ..... As well as delusional. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2. I give it 80% or more, we're pretty well covered. 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
3. I give it at least 65%, not perfect but we have the bases covered. 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
4. I give it a 50/50% chance, could be better but it could be worse. 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
5. I give it 30%, I live on the ground floor with lots of windows and surrounded by idiots! 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
6. I give it 25%, I MIGHT have a chance of making it. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
7. I give it less than 20%, zombiefication is almost guaranteed! 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
8. I give it 10% or more but at that level its irrelevant, I'm doomed to wander the land as a meat puppet :( 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 am 

LowKey wrote:
The cabin we're building is on an island over 500 miles from any major cites. There are no roads within 3 miles of our home, so the only access is either by water (and the marine life would eat zed like hotcakes), or over very vertical terrain through heavy growth...in which we have an amazingly high number of very large bears (who would also eat zed like hotcakes).
No windows or doors on the "ground" floor, which is actually the basement, and only one set of wooden exterior stairs up to the wrap around covered porch.

So, for zed to come get us he has to travel 500 miles or more from civilization (I only have 150 "neighbors") , cross waters that are more than a few hundred feet deep with very strong currents and active wildlife, then avoid the land based predators while they moan and look 12 feet up at th only entrances to the interior of the home. While I poke them in the head with a pointy stick and prepare to use them for bait.

Not worried about Zed.

Must be hell getting a pizza delivered.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm 

First off I live near Los Angeles so I'm going to have hordes of hordes going on, no way my house would withstand that. It's an older house, decent doors but too many weak windows. It's on a raised foundation which could be bad or good, lots of bodies pressed up could crack it and eventually drop it but it does give the quick drop and slip out the grate option for a quick escape. Though again, being in L.A. there's likely nowhere to go. I do have a detached garage that might serve a better purpose for safe-housing in but it has glass doors as well.

*FIDO*

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:34 pm 

I picked 80% Because I'm not delusional ( :crazy: ). My house ( the main part ) is over one hundred years old made of limestone rock 16 inches thick. Two story with one staircase. Nearest house is several hundred yards away and I'm situated a mile and half from a town of 700. Most if not all of my neighbors are armed and at least occasional hunters. My Property is a small acreage , mostly open with tree wind screen on three sides with a five foot field fence surrounding the property. I have stored in the barn or lying the yard around everything I would need to barricade the house in a short time. I feel pretty safe. ( Especially since in the history of mankind there never has been a zombie )

No mercy has the sea

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 pm 
BANNED

wellllll I would think zombies couldn't get into most buildings or homes. from wut i've seen in movies they aren't that forceful, they don't pick locks or even use doorknobs, they just slowing limp along so I think as long as you keep your doors n windows closed and maybe board up windows just in case there's enough zombie force pressing on one window to break it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 am 

Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
The cabin we're building is on an island over 500 miles from any major cites. There are no roads within 3 miles of our home, so the only access is either by water (and the marine life would eat zed like hotcakes), or over very vertical terrain through heavy growth...in which we have an amazingly high number of very large bears (who would also eat zed like hotcakes).
No windows or doors on the "ground" floor, which is actually the basement, and only one set of wooden exterior stairs up to the wrap around covered porch.

So, for zed to come get us he has to travel 500 miles or more from civilization (I only have 150 "neighbors") , cross waters that are more than a few hundred feet deep with very strong currents and active wildlife, then avoid the land based predators while they moan and look 12 feet up at th only entrances to the interior of the home. While I poke them in the head with a pointy stick and prepare to use them for bait.

Not worried about Zed.

Must be hell getting a pizza delivered.

There's a term used to describe it, the "$150 Pizza".
Call the float plane company and order the pizza through them. I could have one on the beach of my property about an hour after ordering.

While not quite delivery, I could also ask a "neighbor" who does live on the road system and who happens to work at a pizza place on the other side of the island to bring one home with him at the end of his shift, then meet him at the public dock that's 5 minutes from his house by land and 20 minutes from our place by boat. Really not something I'd do with pizza, but possible for needed OTC meds or small plumbing repair items. Islander's tend to cover with that sort of favor for each other...never know when you may be the one in need.

Finally in the realm of silly, have the islands ferry captain set one from the ferry's snack bar adrift as they pass in front of our place. :clownshoes:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:51 pm 

As it stands, I'm screwed. Single story ranch house with picture windows.

Given a couple of days, I can buttress the south fence (neighbors refuse to do any maintenance), block off two windows big enough to climb through and a glass patio door. After that, I might make it through.

Given a couple of weeks, I can install security/hurricane shutters, put in roof access, and wait it out