It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Zombie Fort.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:02 pm 

In the spirit of concealment being the best defense and as a cheap bug out location I offer the 50$ house http://www.richsoil.com/wofati.jsp. Scroll down to the pictures of the finished house. When shtf you just cover up the windows with cut out squares of grass and soil and you're basically invisible. Taking a hint from nature think foxes den as in multiple exits.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:20 pm 

feanor wrote:
In the spirit of concealment being the best defense and as a cheap bug out location I offer the 50$ house http://www.richsoil.com/wofati.jsp. Scroll down to the pictures of the finished house. When shtf you just cover up the windows with cut out squares of grass and soil and you're basically invisible. Taking a hint from nature think foxes den as in multiple exits.

Seems legit. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:05 am 

Hey everyone sorry, I've been away for awhile. So the walls built around Alexandria in TWD gave me an idea... if I could fortify the fence behind the apartment and possibly get some supplies to build some makeshift walls around it, would that help to keep zombies out and fortify the perimeter instead of it just being wide open for zombies/zeds/walkers to wander around the apartment and to keep people out who would attempt to take or steal my goods and supplies? Let me know what you think about the idea, I could probably get people to help. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

jlc87 wrote:
Hey everyone sorry, I've been away for awhile. So the walls built around Alexandria in TWD gave me an idea... if I could fortify the fence behind the apartment and possibly get some supplies to build some makeshift walls around it, would that help to keep zombies out and fortify the perimeter instead of it just being wide open for zombies/zeds/walkers to wander around the apartment and to keep people out who would attempt to take or steal my goods and supplies? Let me know what you think about the idea, I could probably get people to help. :)

In a Walking Dead scenario, I'd rather have a chain link fence like the prison than the solid walls of Alexandria... only because I am not an engineer nor contractor and do not have heavy equipment. Building a wall to keep zombies out would take more than what would be easy by hand.

I'd rather be able to keep zombies in check through the fence than trying to disperse them from above a wall.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:19 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
jlc87 wrote:

In a Walking Dead scenario, I'd rather have a chain link fence like the prison than the solid walls of Alexandria... only because I am not an engineer nor contractor and do not have heavy equipment. Building a wall to keep zombies out would take more than what would be easy by hand.

I'd rather be able to keep zombies in check through the fence than trying to disperse them from above a wall.

True good sir, but fences are flimsy... and early on in Season 4 they 'herded' up and almost toppled the fence over and got through the fences in Internment and Rick and Carl had to deal with them... I'm just saying walls would be preferable if you could manage to build some... but Rick took Morgan's idea and put some spikes in front of the prison entrance and made a pulley system so someone could open the gate they built... so yeah. But the two story apartment seems ideal for a ZPAW, or a castle. If you could even find one still intact... or are lucky enough to live in Europe. You know? xD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:55 am 

jlc87 wrote:
.., or a castle. If you could even find one still intact... or are lucky enough to live in Europe. You know? xD

Poenari Citadel in Romania. Three sides of near unclimbable precipice, and a steep narrow approach on the fourth. One angled fence, and the zeds will walk themselves over the edge of a cliff.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 am 

Close_enough wrote:
jlc87 wrote:
.., or a castle. If you could even find one still intact... or are lucky enough to live in Europe. You know? xD

Poenari Citadel in Romania. Three sides of near unclimbable precipice, and a steep narrow approach on the fourth. One angled fence, and the zeds will walk themselves over the edge of a cliff.

I just googled it, seems legit. Looks perfect TBH. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:03 am 

As I have said before.

I would NOT have left Georgia.

You know the area.
4 seasons of farming. Just plant and harvest. Plant some of those Huge farm fields.Who is going to steal it? The Zeds?
Military bases. A good source of weapons and supplies to start out.
https://www.nps.gov/fopu/learn/index.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:36 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I just read this entire thread and as I read it I kept thinking how silly many of the ideas are.

But I also kept thinking that it was threads like this that brought me to Zombie Squad in the first place. :lol:

OP, I hope you keep refining your zombie plan. While you're doing that, I hope you also give some thought to some more likely disaster scenarios. But I hope you keep having fun. It stopped being fun for me and I'm hoping to recapture some of that.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm 

MacAttack wrote:
As I have said before.

I would NOT have left Georgia.

You know the area.
4 seasons of farming. Just plant and harvest. Plant some of those Huge farm fields.Who is going to steal it? The Zeds?
Military bases. A good source of weapons and supplies to start out.
https://www.nps.gov/fopu/learn/index.htm

Well, there is the slight problem of psychopaths and marauders. Unless you have a facility set up for hydroponics and airponics, a reliable power source, and the know-how to run it, any agricultural operation big enough to self support is going to be too big to hide.

Against Zeds, the most basic of medieval defenses will be effective: Ditches, sturdy walls (recall the number of mass casualty crush incidents in current events. Mechanically disabled is almost as good as killed twice), anti-cavalry stuff like Cheval DeFrise and Abatis, and natural barriers like rivers and cliffs. The problem, as history provides plenty of examples, is getting besieged by an enemy. You're only as good as your remaining stores, or as unlucky as their heavy weapons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:54 am 

In a Walking Dead situation.....

How are bad guys going to harvest crops when they are not ready to harvest?

And how are they going to harvest 100+ acres of crops spread out over several abandoned farms? Without operational combines and harvesters?

I don't know about you but I am not standing around watching and guarding the wheat as it grows.

Plus look at all the land around the fort I linked. Plant that also.
Everything around that land is also woodland. Harvest what you need.

If Ricks Walking Dead group had moved into the fort instead of the prison they NEVER would have had to leave.But then again the story would have been pretty short.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm 

I hope this isn't thread-jacking.
How cool would this house be for a PAW?

When I first saw it, I imagined having acreage in a place where zoning laws allowed, and putting one of these in every corner. Or at least two, on opposite ends of a main house. :P

First floor

Second floor

Top floor

The design tends to come up in my "if I win the lotto" daydreams.
Build a few of these around a homestead and rent to noob preppers.
Or maybe employee housing for farmhands and security.

Hmm. I also wonder what I'd do if building this solely as a watchtower. Dedicated firing ports for starters.
Change the third floor's shower to a urinal for efficiency?
Or maybe instead of a third floor, it could just be a rooftop deck.
Keep the kitchen for an employee lounge, but convert the bedrooms to locker/changing areas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:59 pm 

Grain bin house Image

Might already be on that acreage ready to convert to habitation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 pm 

There are some great Owen Geiger Earthbag house designs for towers and yes even castles. For those that don't know Earthbags are a very easy form of construction using tube you stuff with local earth to build with.

Castle tower design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/castle-tower-house/

Fortress tower design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/fortress-tower/

Guard tower design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/guard-tower/

Observation tower and guard house design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/observation-tower-and-round-guard-tower/

Taking the towers and combining with other buildings and walls and you get forts and castles

Castle design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/earthbag-castle/

Dome fort design https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/earthbag-dome-fort/

The site also includes some survival shelter designs https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/tag/survival-shelter/ and mentions how these can be added under many designs to include a survival shelter to plans.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm 

Hey everyone. Anyone still around or check this thread? And great ideas. A castle is ideal, of course :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:18 am 

jlc87 wrote:
Well, not really... more like an apartment on top of a garage made of brick. Give me opinions, I'm considering renting it one day. Image

Looks like a small (soon to be smelly) box to get trapped in

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 pm 

Hay bale fort. Easy to build . If you live in farm country the materials are readily available and let's face it. Not like the zombies are going to catch it on fire. :crazy:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6