It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 am 

Do any of you know how to make or where I might find a packable oil lantern or lamp? I was thinking about a hurricane lantern, but am a bit concerned with it getting tipped over and leaking all over the place.

Y.T. wrote:
Gingersam wrote:
There are only four things you need in life.

Supper Glue, Gaffa Tape, Vaseline and a Hammer.
where I come from, that makes one helluva party. ;)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:57 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I can't say that I've heard of a good packable oil lantern. Gas, propane, or a mixture perhaps. Even then they are not usually very lightweight. Are you familiar with the Candle Lantern? I have a couple, and I like them a lot.

http://candlelantern.com/

ETA: As a bonus, you can usually find them at wallyworld or any sporting goods store along with the replacement candles that come in about 4 different flavors (citronella, beeswax, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 am 

Yep seen those. I'm kinda surprised I can't find what I'm looking for. What I'd like to find is something along the lines of a kerosene lamp, with an adjustable wick, that the adjuster knob is a removable key, like on the Optimus Svea 123r stoves, that you can screw a cap onto to cover both the keyhole and the wick. I may end up having to cobble something like that together myself if I can't find something similar.

I'd prefer an oil lamp as I can make oil myself quite a bit easier than I can produce wax or white gas. Though I'm also looking at the possibility of keeping bees, I have a feeling they won't be able to produce the wax as fast as I'd tend to use it up. I've also looked into rendering tallow for candles. I may have to cross post this to the self sufficient living forum.

Y.T. wrote:
Gingersam wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm 

Making an oil lamp out of old soda/beer/seltzer cans is easy and takes only a few minutes. All you need is two cans and a few inches of rope or something similar to use as a wick. I've found using synthetic rope doesn't work out, so stick to natural fibers.

Cut the bottom part off of two cans, at least a few inches worth of each. Trim the edges to reduce the amount of sharp and rough spots. In one of the can bottoms, punch a hole with an awl or something similar, making sure to make the hole wide enough. Then cut a small rectangle of can out of the side of one of the can tops, and wrap that around the end of the rope. Pass the wrapped end of the rope through the hole in the can bottom, leaving the wrapped section in the hole. Then slip the can half with the hole and wick inside of the other can, upside down so the wick points upwards. To make slipping one can inside of the other easier, I usually cut two slits up the side of the inner one. Take some tallow or vegetable oil and fill the can and saturate the wick with it. Apply fire to wick and voila!

Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:55 pm 

I have a candoil candle lantern insert for a northern lights candle lantern that i have. I was never crazy about it. the flame size got bigger as the thing warmed up. I couldn't figure out how to get it not to soot. I also was never comfortable with it in a tent. Then the LED came out and i switched over to it for my flashlights. take the head off of a minimag LED and throw it in the gear loft of the tent. It's plenty of light.

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:36 pm 

I've never seen and oil or kerosene lantern that didn't leak when you tipped it over. You'd need to leakproof the wick adjuster and put a leakproof cap over the wick. It's doable, but is there a market for it?

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 pm 

You could always just pick up a square piece of soapstone and make an inuit style oil lamp, just add oil (commercial or made) to the stone when you run low and when you're packing it up, pour the excess back into the bottle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 am 

There is an oil conversion for the UCO CandleLantern, but I don't think it's going to solve your 'mess' concerns. Messy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have to ask why? I could see making one out of trash and extra oil if needed for light and to hold a flame on the fly so to speak but to actually pack the darn thing and fuel with the intent of using it for light? There are lot better options like LEDs and for flame light a candle lantern. All safer and more UL.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 pm 

There are always the britelyt/petromax lanterns. I've heard good things about them.

http://www.britelyt.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 pm 

airballrad wrote:
I can't say that I've heard of a good packable oil lantern. Gas, propane, or a mixture perhaps. Even then they are not usually very lightweight. Are you familiar with the Candle Lantern? I have a couple, and I like them a lot.

http://candlelantern.com/

ETA: As a bonus, you can usually find them at wallyworld or any sporting goods store along with the replacement candles that come in about 4 different flavors (citronella, beeswax, etc.).

I keep one of those in my car bag.
Seems a lot safer for an enclosed space.

You get light, a source of heat and a way to boil a bit of water.
Three things I want while stuck by the side of the road in a snow storm.

I'll probably take it out for the summer. Two years ago
I left my regular candle lantern and after a hot day found
the candle had melted into the casing, covering the class.
(It was lying on its side) Took some work to clean up.

pat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 pm 

Schizm wrote:
There is an oil conversion for the UCO CandleLantern, but I don't think it's going to solve your 'mess' concerns. Messy.

I don't know why the UCO site doesn't show these:

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Insert-Origin ... d_sbs_sg_3

I got a similar one years ago for my "Early Winters" candle lantern. Leaks like a sieve when it's not burning,
but works great while lit.

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 pm 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm 

My candoil insert is VERY one similar to the one in that photo. I didn't ever have a problem with the oil leaking out when it was sealed, but there was a vent hole under the cap that would make it leak if it were not capped and tipped over. I seem to remember that I kept the wick trimmed a lot shorter than the one in the photo. The problem is that even with the wick very short, i found that over time the flame would get a lot larger... even extending out of the top of the lantern. Obviously that could be catastrophic in a tent. This was all some years ago. This thread has inspired me to go dig the bugger up. I'll run a head to head comparison between my candle lantern, my new coleman butane lantern, and a cool little black diamond led lantern i recieved recently as a gift.

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:48 pm 

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable carrying a packable oil lamp. Garret-Wade has some lovely folding candle lanterns with mica windows. I don't own one of those yet, but I will.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:59 am 

Towanda wrote:
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable carrying a packable oil lamp.

Why?? People carry alcohol stoves. What's the diff?? :?

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:01 pm 

I carry an alcohol stove. If my stove fuel -- denatured alcohol -- leaks, it will evaporate completely. It will not soak into my gear and stay there till I have time to scrub it out with Dawn or Tide, nor will it render my gear more flammable and smelling like a refinery.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sharks and turtles and a very few other beasties are freaks of nature in that they evolved to near perfection for their niche hundreds of million of years ago (yes, there's a point)...

The camping candle lantern is a similar freak in that it evolved to near perfection nearly 50 years ago...very few other items in my camping kit are as unchanged for as many years...maybe my optimus stove...

I still can't understand why you want to swim against the logic stream to get a lantern that will do about the same thing, but:

a) cost more to run
ii) possibly leak
3) potentially smoke or flare

just sayin' 8)

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:59 pm 

...maybe he's got a field of corn just aching to be pressed into oil?

But home-made tallow's just as easy as home-made lamp oil. Hmm.

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:19 am 

Yep been looking into the tallow thing too.

Basically it's a sustainability thing. I'm unsure of how to go about producing wax to replace what I've burned in a candle. I know how to go about making pressing oils though. The uco oil insert for the lantern thing looks about like what I was looking for. The wick is likely why it leaks so bad for most people. That cap isn't much bigger than the nipple on the top of it so the wick probably gets caught in the threads some when people are trying to screw it on. And it's a wick, so it'll draw the oil up to the cap, and capilary action probably does the rest of the work for you, leaking the oil into your gear.

As I'll likely be unable to produce my own silnylon out there as well some of my gear for waterproofness may end up being oiled leathers anyway. Well, that or possibly waxed canvas.

I've seen a small oil lamp made out of a film canister, a soda bottle cap, and a wick holder. The wick holder slides up when you want to burn the oil, slide it down in order to put the lid on. A fiberglass wick will not burn but still act as a wick to pull the oil upward.

I've actually been considering something along the lines of putting liquid parafin or olive oil in a trangia burner and getting some wicking material for the inside of it.

In my tent one year I burned olive oil out of a sea shell with a 1" lamp wick drapped up to the edge. Got to be careful with them though, they're very easy to tip over, but durring the whole of the winter, I did manage not to burn my tent down.

There was however an interesting few minutes, when I realized that my propane heater had been leaking a little bit and I flicked my lighter closed to the ground. For about 30 seconds or so I had a foot high flame dancing around the place where the lighter had been while the flame sucked in all the propane that had accumulated in the bottom of the tent. I very nearly pissed myself, but nothing caught, just the little foot high flame eating the propane for about a half minute or so, then it went out. I do not, however suggest this for a method of removing propane from a 4 season tent. I could have quite possibly killed myself in the process.

Y.T. wrote:
Gingersam wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 am 

I have seen them made out of tiny glass Tabasco bottles, the lids where just screwed back on when not in use.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 pm 

. . .

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:17 pm 

spchtr wrote:
I'm unsure of how to go about producing wax to replace what I've burned in a candle.

Bees.

Lovely things. And you get honey too.