It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:00 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Don't you just love guns?

So do we. Some of us think guns are pretty cool. Feel free to post about your favorite guns in this forum. Show off your gear if you want. Tell us about your experience at the range.

Of course, there are a few things you should remember. First, Zombie Squad recognizes that responsible gun ownership is a great thing. In that vein, please observe all local laws governing the use and ownership of firearms. If you have questions about the legalities of gun use and ownership, the fine folks in here can point you in the right direction, but you should contact your local police department or a local lawyer who specializes in firearm laws for the facts in your community.

Go take a firearm safety course. We can't encourage this enough. Firearm safety courses by a licensed instructor will help you develop good habits from the beginning.

Second, do not post ways to circumvent gun laws in this forum. ZS supports legal and responsible gun ownership. We don't want advice on how to break the law on our forums.

Lastly, don't be a dipshit. Don't post firearm advice based on the last video game or movie you saw. Don't post idiotic things to do with a gun. Don't post about stealing your parents' guns. Don't post about shooting people. Jesus Christ, there's a long list of stuff I could put here, but I shouldn't have to.

Remember, we will ban you.

With that said, below are some good places to check out in the ZS Firearms forum if this is your first time here. Enjoy!

- Firearm safety - This is a must to check out first - ESPECIALLY for new shooters. If you only read one firearm related thread in this forum, this should be it. ZS highly recommends that you take a firearm safety class and practice good safety habits from the beginning!

- Proper firearm cleaning/maintenance - Failure to properly maintain your collection can damage them, rick endangering yourself and ruin a good investment.

- Proper firearm storage - Information on protecting your firearms and protect people from your firearms.

- ZS Postal Match - The official ZS shooting competition. It's fun. It's FREE. It's a good way to test yourself. Do it! The current match and rules for competing are always here: http://zombiehunters.org/postmatch.php

- Ammo Price Watch - Ammo is expensive if you shoot as often as you should to stay in practice. Post good deals you find or read what others have found.

- Show off your firearms - This is always a favorite. Please do not post comments here. This is for pics only. Start a new thread if you want to make comments on anyone's hardware.

- How can I love guns and not break ZS rules at the same time? - Some Pro Tips on how to deal with our "No Political Discussion" rules.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:49 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

doctor_ocks wrote:
"SAFETY FIRST! SAFETY ALWAYS!" needs to be the creed of any firearm owner or anyone handling a firearm. It doesn't matter if you're a novice or a pro, the basic rules for safe gun handling must be followed at all times. Pound these rules into your skull and then pound them into your skull some more! A lot of negligent discharges happen to folks who've been around firearms their entire life and begin to take these rules for granted. It only takes a split second to make a mistake that will last forever. Don't be that guy.

The fundamental rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.
    Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

4. Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these rules:

Know how to use the gun safely.
    Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
    Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
    Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
    Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
    Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Cleaning
    Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.
    A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.

**The above was taken directly from the NRA's webpage www.nra.org and from Cooper's firearm safety info found here http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Training

Get training! There are some folks out there who seem to be naturals when it comes to shooting. Good for them. Even they need training. Almost every gun range I've ever been to offers some kind of basic training courses. You should sign up for those at the time you purchase you first gun.

If you're not sure where to get training, here's the NRA's link to finding classes in your area.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

I'd also reiterate what was posted in the rules above that you should try to be as educated about firearms as you can, but specifically YOUR firearm. Know the parts, how it works, and how to clean and care for it. Don't be too proud to ask someone more experienced than you. We all had to start somewhere.

Negligent Discharges

This is what happens when you ignore the safety rules mentioned above - specifically "Keeping your finger off the triger until your ready to shoot". It can happen to the experienced and the novice alike. No one is immune to it except those who remember and practice the safety rules every time they handle a firearm.

Here's a webpage put up by an experienced shooter who had an ND and shot himself in the leg.

WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

Along these same lines, you should always be careful to not allow anything to come in contact with your trigger - not just your finger. An example of this would be when someone is reholster their hand gun and the retension strap or a piece of clothing snags the trigger. Not good.

The 2nd Amendment grants us the right to keep and bear arms. Along with that right comes a HUGE responsibility to be careful owners. Firearms are created to destroy - take that seriously - firearm safety is very literally a matter of life and death.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:16 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

It's hard to find the line sometimes between talking about guns and talking about the politics of guns. Many people feel very strongly for or against what has been labeled "gun control". Since we don't talk politics here, that's not an appropriate topic for the public forum. To help, I've outlined a couple examples of what good posts (one's in compliance with our rules) and bad posts (ones that break our rules) look like. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me on this.

For instance, an acceptable post is:
Quote:
In CA/DC/Germany/wherever we have stricter gun laws than many parts of the country. What can people suggest I do to be as prepared as possible to protect my family while not breaking the law.

Quote:
Yes, in Massachusetts we have similar laws to Cali. I just bought my ass a Saiga/Mini-14/SKS/M1A that's 95% as badass as a tacticool AR without the legal hassles. I wrapped it in blue phone cord and now it's awesome.

An unacceptable one is:
Quote:
Gun control is bullshit! You need to join an organization to promote gun rights! And vote that way too!

That's political activism. Political activism is prohibited here. You can feel as passionately about the NRA or the GOA as you want, you can put that you're an endowment member in your sig, but please don't use the forums as a recruiting tool.

Speaking of the NRA and many other organizations that do many things, a good post is:
Quote:
Go to the NRA's website, they offer lots of great training and probably have some classes in your area.

Quote:
Egad, I finally joined the NRA 'cause I got a coupon when I bought my Remington 870. I swear to Gaga those people send me a lot of junk mail now.

A bad post is:
Quote:
If you aren't a life member of the NRA, you must be one of those gun hating commies.

Does everyone see the difference? Good, I'm ever so pleased. :)
I hope this help define what we consider to be political discussion. As mentioned, if you have any questions, drop me a PM.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]