Preps for a Contested Election in November

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Preps for a Contested Election in November

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 am
I am contacting my insurance agent to ask about the impact of civil disturbances on my home insurance. I recommend others do the same. Does any of your insurance help with damage from riots? I have no idea, and that's a FAIL for me. What about your car? I drive a 25 year old honda civic that's not worth insuring (but I have good medical coverage for me and passengers in it). But some people here drive much more valuable cars. Might be worth checking with your insurance agent.
Excellent question :D

Your standard HO policy (Broad form) usually cover the following list of perils:

Accidental leakage of plumbing or heating system
Collapse of building ( not settling damage)
Explosion
Fire & Lightning
Freezing of plumbing or heating system
Glass breakage
Non-owned vehicles of Aircraft damage
Riot or Civil Commotion
Smoke
Theft
Vandalism
Weight of ice, sleet, and snow
Windstorm & Hail

With 3 exceptions I recall (Earthquakes, Floods, & Hurricanes), weather events are usually covered. These exceptions are due to how widespread & catastrophic those events are.

When it comes to riots, the exception that I remember is when it becomes an attempt to overthrow the current Government. "The War Clause" is a standard exception for in almost all types of policies, (property, health, life). Same with all types of Nuclear incidents.

Always check with your agent for the latest info.

ETA: Here is a page that come the MP seal-of-approval for excellent, detailed info on covered perils: Which disasters are covered by homeowners insurance?

EETA: Always check with your agent for the latest info. :wink:

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 am
But this could be a different game now. This last year most of the fighting I have seen and perceived has been extremists from one "side" fighting the moderates of the same "side." The fighting over this election could potentially bring the "other side" into the fighting in a whole new way. I'm not arguing this is reality or is what will happen. I'm admitting my concerns and acknowledging others may have good cause for concern.

Suddenly I'm concerned about my extended family having enough ammo, backup cooking abilities, emergency lighting, medical supplies, etc. I'm in pretty good shape for myself, but my ability to support loved ones in time of trouble is limited.

I'm trying to help them become more resilient to times of trouble without sounding like a paranoid lunatic.
Your observations match with my own, for what it's worth.

I am also trying to get family more spun up and it is not easy.

For me, I am planning on moving back with family. The advice I received which makes the most sense to me is to get close to clan/tribe. Mostly that means getting close to family, even if values don't quite align, and I got a dose of that over the holidays. Oh well. I may move into the apartment my parents are building, or I may pursue other options. It depends on what the situation looks like at the time. But I'm planning on making it happen this year.

For those who can't/won't connect with family tribe, there is always "tribe of choice." Results will likely vary, but that can be said of almost anything.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am
For those who can't/won't connect with family tribe, there is always "tribe of choice." Results will likely vary, but that can be said of almost anything.
ZS IS my tribe of choice. :awesome:

So, whose basement are the wife and I moving into? Oh, and our three cats. :mrgreen:

On the more serious side, we'd already been planning a move to my wife's hometown in Idaho. That got stepped on by the Covid restrictions. It's still a plan though and I think I may have suddenly gotten a lot less fussy about the size of the property we'd buy. I'd been looking for max acreage and distant neighbors, making a private range possible. I think I want closer neighbors now.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm

On the more serious side, we'd already been planning a move to my wife's hometown in Idaho. That got stepped on by the Covid restrictions. It's still a plan though and I think I may have suddenly gotten a lot less fussy about the size of the property we'd buy. I'd been looking for max acreage and distant neighbors, making a private range possible. I think I want closer neighbors now.
I'm the same. I was wanting space. I changed my mind. Likely for similar reasons.

For prepping, I think I need to re-tool my professional skills. EMT, welding, CNC machine, and robotics. Just in case. If this goes pear shaped, I was thinking Serbia, Ukraine, Colombia, they all have life after The Event. Life doesn't stop, it keeps going.

(Edit: Mexico & Ukraine are more accurately examples of life during the event)

And let's face it, my booty doesn't look like it used to. I haven't been hit on in over a decade.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Once an unthinkable taboo has been broken, it quickly becomes the first choice. School shootings, driving cars through crowds, firebombing, etc. And each time the goal is to be bigger.
I fear things things are just beginning.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm

NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

So, whose basement are the wife and I moving into? Oh, and our three cats. :mrgreen:

If your wife didn't dislike Texas, I'd say y'all would be more than welcome in my AO.

Pretty sure I could find you some acreage in my county that'd have enough space for a private range and still be close to neighbors. :D

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:01 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

If your wife didn't dislike Texas, I'd say y'all would be more than welcome in my AO.

Pretty sure I could find you some acreage in my county that'd have enough space for a private range and still be close to neighbors. :D
I appreciate that but, more than her dislike for Texas weather, her need to be near her mom is what's really driving her to move, and that means Idaho.

I'd come visit though. :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:28 pm

From Fox News:
Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick could lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington after sacrificing his life in the line of duty trying to fend off rioters who breached the building earlier this week.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/capitol-poli ... or-rotunda

Officer Sicknick was a veteran who had served overseas.
"Officer Sicknick was a product of South River [N.J.] and a graduate of Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools. Before joining Capitol Police, he was Staff Sergeant Sicknick with New Jersey Air National Guard," Murphy said.

"He was a Fire Team Member and Leader with 108th Security Force Squadron, 108th Wing, at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, and his six years of service included overseas deployments in support of Operation Southern Watch and Operation Enduring Freedom," the governor added.
https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-e ... r-who-died
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:01 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I appreciate that but, more than her dislike for Texas weather, her need to be near her mom is what's really driving her to move, and that means Idaho.

I'd come visit though. :mrgreen:
Being closer to her mother is something I totally understand.

And y'all are more than welcome to come visit whenever you want. :D

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
I want to strongly emphasize this. There's a common saying that you can choose your friends, but not your family. That stops being true as soon as you turn 18. You get to choose who you invest your time and energy in, and you get to craft your family.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm
woodsghost wrote:
I want to strongly emphasize this. There's a common saying that you can choose your friends, but not your family. That stops being true as soon as you turn 18. You get to choose who you invest your time and energy in, and you get to craft your family.
Agree. Woodsghost's comment really struck me too. I'm not part of a nuclear family anymore and the nearest of my brothers and their families is almost 1000 miles away. Not estranged from them or anything but if national events keep headed in the direction I think they could go, my planning doesn't involve a cross country trek to get to them. And I certainly don't expect them to come to me.

I do have close friends in the area however. Including a family of four that are very dear to me. I doubt they have a full week of food in their house. I've never told them I'm a full-on prepper, but they've always known me as the guy who always seems to be prepared. Wife might sheepishly ask me if I have a particular type of tool or know how to do X (insert household repair here). When I always say yes she just looks at me and says "Of course you do."

Husband is disabled, one of the sons is ADHD and the other is a sulking teenager who's really struggling with social isolation in the pandemic. The wife is hands-down the hardest working human being I know. They are the closest I have to what I'd call a tribe. If the SHTF, I will feel responsible for them. Can't say I've been prepping for five, but the resources I have will be shared with them. I could even see moving into their far larger residence if security becomes a concern. If that means my food supplies run out in four weeks instead of four months, then so be it. Whatever I lose in material preps, I'd more than gain in mental support.

I have zero intention of going lone wolf.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Single YT vid - 90 sec length

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 am

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:48 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Agree. Woodsghost's comment really struck me too. I'm not part of a nuclear family anymore and the nearest of my brothers and their families is almost 1000 miles away. Not estranged from them or anything but if national events keep headed in the direction I think they could go, my planning doesn't involve a cross country trek to get to them. And I certainly don't expect them to come to me.

I do have close friends in the area however. Including a family of four that are very dear to me. I doubt they have a full week of food in their house. I've never told them I'm a full-on prepper, but they've always known me as the guy who always seems to be prepared. Wife might sheepishly ask me if I have a particular type of tool or know how to do X (insert household repair here). When I always say yes she just looks at me and says "Of course you do."

Husband is disabled, one of the sons is ADHD and the other is a sulking teenager who's really struggling with social isolation in the pandemic. The wife is hands-down the hardest working human being I know. They are the closest I have to what I'd call a tribe. If the SHTF, I will feel responsible for them. Can't say I've been prepping for five, but the resources I have will be shared with them. I could even see moving into their far larger residence if security becomes a concern. If that means my food supplies run out in four weeks instead of four months, then so be it. Whatever I lose in material preps, I'd more than gain in mental support.

I have zero intention of going lone wolf.
Very moving. Inspiring.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am

NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I remember that "hilltop" thread! I thought you bought it, no? I'll have to go read it again... I remember thinking it looked like a good place. :words:

Found it, re-read it. Sorry for the lost opportunity. Cost of property here continues to skyrocket, so it's a damned shame you were not able to jump then; but now the cost for building it would be much higher, too. Hopefully something will shake lose for you ~2022 (after the bubble bursts).
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am
NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I remember that "hilltop" thread! I thought you bought it, no? I'll have to go read it again... I remember thinking it looked like a good place. :words:

Found it, re-read it. Sorry for the lost opportunity. Cost of property here continues to skyrocket, so it's a damned shame you were not able to jump then; but now the cost for building it would be much higher, too. Hopefully something will shake lose for you ~2022 (after the bubble bursts).
I'm seeing a lot of noise about housing and land becoming buyer's markets in 2021. If that's the case, land prices should drop rather precipitously.

Now, what that might mean in terms of real purchasing power after whatever level of inflation we see is a different question. That seems somewhat less sure aside from "up"; I'm seeing articles anywhere from "barely above normal" to "world-economy destroying hyperinflation".

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:43 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm
"world-economy destroying hyperinflation"
Please don't tease :clownshoes:

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

I'm seeing a lot of noise about housing and land becoming buyer's markets in 2021. If that's the case, land prices should drop rather precipitously.

Now, what that might mean in terms of real purchasing power after whatever level of inflation we see is a different question. That seems somewhat less sure aside from "up"; I'm seeing articles anywhere from "barely above normal" to "world-economy destroying hyperinflation".
That is an interesting statement. I have been doing a lot of research on this subject. I remember 2008 when 18 to 24 months later the RE market was in shambles in some areas and booming in others. As always in RE it is location, location, location that matters.

We still have not seen the end fallout from the forced recession in a lot of places.

This typical of the data I have seen:
https://www.blackknightinc.com/black-kn ... gage-data/
December 21, 2020 Data & Analytics
Despite seasonal headwinds, mortgage delinquencies improved for the sixth consecutive month in November 2020, falling to 6.33% from 6.44% in the month prior

The national delinquency rate is now down 1.5 percentage points from its peak of 7.8% in May but remains a full three percentage points (+93%) above pre-pandemic levels

While early-stage delinquencies – borrowers one or two payments past due – have fallen back below pre-pandemic levels, seriously past-due (90+ days) mortgages remain 1.8 million above pre-pandemic levels

Foreclosure activity remains muted as widespread moratoriums remain in place

November’s 4,400 foreclosure starts and 176,000 loans in active foreclosure are both at their lowest levels on record since Black Knight began reporting the metrics in 2000

Prepayments fell 11% from October’s 16-year high; however, with interest rates at record lows and refinance incentive at an all-time high, prepay activity is likely to remain elevated in the coming months
With eviction & foreclosure halts still in place there still a lot of uncertainty. The banks have been modifying loan terms a lot and people have been refinancing their mortgages also.

BTW the 5 states with the highest non current mortgages are LA, MS, HI, NY & OK. The 5 states with lowest non-current mortgages are OR, MT, WA, ID,CO.

That said the RE market in the area near my farm in rural MS has been booming even with new housing going up. I actually had someone (with a NY plate) drive down my driveway and offer to buy our place from my wife. She was neither pleased nor impressed with the intrusion. She also strongly suggested that these folks not do this to our neighbors on the road.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 pm
That said the RE market in the area near my farm in rural MS has been booming even with new housing going up. I actually had someone (with a NY plate) drive down my driveway and offer to buy our place from my wife. She was neither pleased nor impressed with the intrusion. She also strongly suggested that these folks not do this to our neighbors on the road.
The market here's pretty busy, though the typically-unpredictable-but-wet weather's put a short term stop to it 'til spring.

I only wish someone would offer to buy my place, sight-unseen. Of course, my driveway's only about 40ft long and I live in a pretty generic suburban subdivision, so "driving down my driveway" isn't a terribly impressive feat.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm
raptor2 wrote:
The market here's pretty busy, though the typically-unpredictable-but-wet weather's put a short term stop to it 'til spring.

I only wish someone would offer to buy my place, sight-unseen. Of course, my driveway's only about 40ft long and I live in a pretty generic suburban subdivision, so "driving down my driveway" isn't a terribly impressive feat.
I keep getting unsolicited offers for my place and my parents. I offered them ocean front property in Arizona a couple times as an alternative, and they were very interested. So if anyone wants offers on their houses, feel free to send me your contact info and I'll set you up with the next people to annoy me. If they'll try to buy ocean front property in AZ, they'll offer to buy anything. Except maybe in Detroit. :rofl:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:59 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 am
boskone wrote:
raptor2 wrote:

I keep getting unsolicited offers for my place and my parents. I offered them ocean front property in Arizona a couple times as an alternative, and they were very interested. So if anyone wants offers on their houses, feel free to send me your contact info and I'll set you up with the next people to annoy me. If they'll try to buy ocean front property in AZ, they'll offer to buy anything. Except maybe in Detroit. :rofl:
:lol:

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 am

RoneKiln wrote:
boskone wrote:
raptor2 wrote:

I'm actually tempted. If they're that dumb, maybe I could sell to 'em at like a 2x markup.

Call it an experiment: my neighbors are pretty much all good people...but would they be if you blow their property taxes into the goddamned stratosphere? :lol:

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 am
RoneKiln wrote:
boskone wrote:
raptor2 wrote:

I'm actually tempted. If they're that dumb, maybe I could sell to 'em at like a 2x markup.

Call it an experiment: my neighbors are pretty much all good people...but would they be if you blow their property taxes into the goddamned stratosphere? :lol:
My wife likes to leave the gate open (probably because I ask her to keep it closed for her security :roll:)
IMO it was good lesson to her on why there is a gate and why the gate should closed when not in use.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Single YT vid - OT

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 am

It's late & I really don't know what to add. As we know, there was a death in my family. Uncle Jim passed. In this case, it truly was a blessing. His final days were painful & not pretty. I am traveling about 2.5 hrs away for the funeral Mass. The BOHM will be well loaded. I have more than one kitten sitter, & hard cash on hand, should I need to get a room. A good-sized winter storm in moving in, & I will be going into it.

In addition to all else, I will be taking one long gun. I am uncomfortable about that.

Caio

Return to “Civil Disorder”