Preps for a Contested Election in November

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Preps for a Contested Election in November

Post by goofygurl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 am

Doing one last pre-20th shopping trip tomorrow to restock pet food, some last minute grocery restocks, sale items, batteries etc. Also need to replace a handful of flashlights that are no longer (and suddenly) dead. Have had my dehydrator running for a week straight working through frozen veggies in my freezer. They're back on sale this week so making room for more. My diet depends on high antioxident fruits and veggies. If I don't have them, inflammation builds body wide very rapdily so I'm not risking not having them b/c I didn't have room.

Also need to pick up prescription refills. Not at all happy about that because they make me so sick but I stand a better chance of keeping my wits about me should anything go sideways if my body is not wracked with pain.

After tomorrow and one errand early Saturday morning, me and mine are staying home except for the girls going to school. Still deciding whether they will be going on the 20th or not.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am

I'm expecting violence on the 20th, but I think it'll be largely, if not exclusively, restricted to DC and the state capitols. My heart goes out to folks who live in those cities and/or whose jobs require they be there anytime between now and the 20th. For everyone else, best to stay the f*ck away.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am
^*THIS*^ will keep you alive when others die needlessly.

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm

My sister, nephew, and mother are coming down from DC to stay with me for a few days.

I live down in southern maryland away from the city.

I don't think much if anything is going to happen.

But, always be prepared.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm

CorpsmanUp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm
My sister, nephew, and mother are coming down from DC to stay with me for a few days.

I live down in southern maryland away from the city.

I don't think much if anything is going to happen.

But, always be prepared.
A few gallons of gas is a perfectly reasonable cost, to be out of the area in case the balloon goes up.

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 pm

I spent most of my life within about an hour's drive of downtown DC.

I am not at all upset to live 1000 miles away from it now.

Even my state capital is about five hours' drive.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 pm

airballrad wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 pm
I spent most of my life within about an hour's drive of downtown DC.
So, Bethesda? During rush hour?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am
I'm expecting violence on the 20th, but I think it'll be largely, if not exclusively, restricted to DC and the state capitols. My heart goes out to folks who live in those cities and/or whose jobs require they be there anytime between now and the 20th. For everyone else, best to stay the f*ck away.

We are close enough to Ft. Worth for it to concern me. Add to that the 3 larger - but not Ft. Worth size - cities that make the triangle around us and it's enough for me to be concerned about any violence moving inward toward us at some point. 2 of the 3 saw pretty decent sized protests over the summer complete with armed counter protests. They're 12 miles or less from my home.

I am sore and worn out but I managed to get what I needed to today. Actually glad I went b/c I hit major meat markdowns at 2 of the 4 stores I went to. Picked up $750 in all kinds of meat, including ribeyes, whole hams and ground angus for less than $300. Filled the tank for $1.17/gallon thanks to Kroger fuel points, took the girls to dinner and got the meds.

We are staying close to home from here on out until I see how things are going to go. I have too much meat to get processed anyhow to be out and about and since I'm not 100% from being out and about all day and evening, it will take me a couple of days to get it all taken care of.

Did see some evidence of panic buying starting again but nothing major yet. I feel like it will increase over the next week or so as we get closer to the 20th.

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 pm
So, Bethesda? During rush hour?
I avoided the area altogether during rush hour when I could help it. :lol:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 am

After speaking w/a good friend of mine, I am hunkering down next week, with the ability to leave within minutes.

I am >0.5 miles from the Statehouse. I don't see trouble here, but I am told that I haven't always been correct in my predictions :wink:

Good luck everyone :D

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Local TV is airing more stories about people boarding stores & homes up in advance of Inauguration.

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Went thru my stores last night to see what I'm low on, to get prepared.

Let's see; the English virus varient due to make a big splash soon and not my turn for vaccine any time soon due to delays. Then we have the expected civil violence coming with a bang in four days. And a possible S.African varient that is hinting it doesn't like the vaccine distributed as much, coming down the road.

In March 2020 I'd prepared for 42 weeks good fixins, 52 with easy belt tightenin'.

March 2021 is closen' in now, I predict the pandemic will be a real and present danger until I'm vaccinated, and predict this variant and the English one are going to dog us into 2022. With unrest and violence maybe periodically interrupting supply chains for a couple years at least.

So yeah. I did some major shopping today to fill in the holes in preps that 9 1/2 months of SIP have created.

Will finish with one more trip tonight or early tomorrow. Then ready to hunker & now also learn to duck, for another year if need be, as best I can be, by tomorrow night.

Thanks for teaching me ZS. And a shout out to MJotZY for demonstrating it all.
Last edited by Ever on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 pm
Thanks for teaching me ZS.
That right there is what makes keeping this place running worthwhile. :D

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 pm

I just commented to my Dad that I need more popcorn to watch all this. I'm planning to make a last run on Monday for some odds and ends I want that are more about comfort than need. I'm still really well stocked on my core basics, and I got an amazing spice kit for Christmas.

Out walking with my Dad this evening his neighbor, who has been a neighbor since I was a child, asked us if we were ready for inauguration day. He then started sharing the "news" he had heard that was the most insane conspiracy theory lunacy I have ever heard. Bad 60s movie level of crazy. It was a bit disconcerting hearing an otherwise sane, intelligent, and capable adult that had been fed and believed such extreme craziness.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Single YT video - local news

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 pm

TheUnpossibleRalph

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am
NT2C wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am
For those who can't/won't connect with family tribe, there is always "tribe of choice." Results will likely vary, but that can be said of almost anything.
ZS IS my tribe of choice. :awesome:

So, whose basement are the wife and I moving into? Oh, and our three cats. :mrgreen:

On the more serious side, we'd already been planning a move to my wife's hometown in Idaho. That got stepped on by the Covid restrictions. It's still a plan though and I think I may have suddenly gotten a lot less fussy about the size of the property we'd buy. I'd been looking for max acreage and distant neighbors, making a private range possible. I think I want closer neighbors now.
I remember that "hilltop" thread! I thought you bought it, no? I'll have to go read it again... I remember thinking it looked like a good place. :words:

Found it, re-read it. Sorry for the lost opportunity. Cost of property here continues to skyrocket, so it's a damned shame you were not able to jump then; but now the cost for building it would be much higher, too. Hopefully something will shake lose for you ~2022 (after the bubble bursts).
I'm seeing a lot of noise about housing and land becoming buyer's markets in 2021. If that's the case, land prices should drop rather precipitously.

Now, what that might mean in terms of real purchasing power after whatever level of inflation we see is a different question. That seems somewhat less sure aside from "up"; I'm seeing articles anywhere from "barely above normal" to "world-economy destroying hyperinflation".
I bought a condo in November in Austin and my rate was a crazy 2.75%. I honestly think if you have the down payment/closing costs and credit to jump on buying something now. In Austin it's just UP UP UP the way the value goes. Hell my place was assessed above what I offered and after remodeling it probably is an easy extra 10k for what is roughly 500 dollars of material and a lot of work. Removing popcorn ceiling, repainting walls, removing ugly ass carpet and basically doing what is more labor than material intensive on costs. I have a score that is still in the mid 700's after all of it. I hope prices drop because a piece of land outside the city to go shoot and hunt on would be great to invest in.

As they say, "God ain't making more of it."

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:47 pm

TheUnpossibleRalph wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am
boskone wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am
NT2C wrote:

So, whose basement are the wife and I moving into? Oh, and our three cats. :mrgreen:

On the more serious side, we'd already been planning a move to my wife's hometown in Idaho. That got stepped on by the Covid restrictions. It's still a plan though and I think I may have suddenly gotten a lot less fussy about the size of the property we'd buy. I'd been looking for max acreage and distant neighbors, making a private range possible. I think I want closer neighbors now.
I remember that "hilltop" thread! I thought you bought it, no? I'll have to go read it again... I remember thinking it looked like a good place. :words:

Found it, re-read it. Sorry for the lost opportunity. Cost of property here continues to skyrocket, so it's a damned shame you were not able to jump then; but now the cost for building it would be much higher, too. Hopefully something will shake lose for you ~2022 (after the bubble bursts).
I'm seeing a lot of noise about housing and land becoming buyer's markets in 2021. If that's the case, land prices should drop rather precipitously.

Now, what that might mean in terms of real purchasing power after whatever level of inflation we see is a different question. That seems somewhat less sure aside from "up"; I'm seeing articles anywhere from "barely above normal" to "world-economy destroying hyperinflation".
I bought a condo in November in Austin and my rate was a crazy 2.75%. I honestly think if you have the down payment/closing costs and credit to jump on buying something now. In Austin it's just UP UP UP the way the value goes. Hell my place was assessed above what I offered and after remodeling it probably is an easy extra 10k for what is roughly 500 dollars of material and a lot of work. Removing popcorn ceiling, repainting walls, removing ugly ass carpet and basically doing what is more labor than material intensive on costs. I have a score that is still in the mid 700's after all of it. I hope prices drop because a piece of land outside the city to go shoot and hunt on would be great to invest in.

Prices go up, and people buy at the top - sometimes getting upside down in value. Homes are selling way over appraisal here based on speculation and easy credit. It might work - it might not. :words:

There is still plenty of property to be had, just need to be willing to move there, and to put up with the changes. I am not. :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:50 pm

TheUnpossibleRalph wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am
boskone wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
NT2C wrote:

That's kinda my position, except for the actually getting stuff done.

I hate nitpicky cleaning with an absolute passion, enough that I'm eyeing a move-out cleaning service instead.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:36 pm

The election is over, time to move forward.

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “Civil Disorder”