So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Phil
* *
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.
Location: Mid-Atlantic region

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Maybe set up a barrier where kids can stand about 10 feet from your door. Then throw the candy at them. For high schoolers, throw eggs and toilet paper at them. Don't actually do the last one, but I was a high schooler out in rural America once...

What we're doing for Halloween this year is to take down the "Deliveries Please Knock" sign, turn off our lights, grab some popcorn and watch a movie or three. Halloween in South Philly sucks. It's a combination of well meaning, well intentioned parents, with good kids, going out and having a fun walk, meeting neighbors; AND a bunch of kids going around knocking on doors at all hours, smashing pumpkins, smashing pumpkins in cars, vandalizing cars, the occasional acid etch tag on a window or spray paint tag on a wall, door or window. This is not rampant, but it does happen a lot here.
As for zombies, we have our own normally shambling hordes in town, Halloween, and every other day of the year...

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Phil wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Maybe set up a barrier where kids can stand about 10 feet from your door. Then throw the candy at them. For high schoolers, throw eggs and toilet paper at them. Don't actually do the last one, but I was a high schooler out in rural America once...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What we're doing for Halloween this year is to take down the "Deliveries Please Knock" sign, turn off our lights, grab some popcorn and watch a movie or three. Halloween in South Philly sucks. It's a combination of well meaning, well intentioned parents, with good kids, going out and having a fun walk, meeting neighbors; AND a bunch of kids going around knocking on doors at all hours, smashing pumpkins, smashing pumpkins in cars, vandalizing cars, the occasional acid etch tag on a window or spray paint tag on a wall, door or window. This is not rampant, but it does happen a lot here.
As for zombies, we have our own normally shambling hordes in town, Halloween, and every other day of the year...

Phil Forrest
This reminded me of"Devil's night" or "Mischief night" - I think anyways, we've become desensitized to that now though it may be worth looking out for it - that'd be a Friday night this year (30 OCT).
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6429
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Phil wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Maybe set up a barrier where kids can stand about 10 feet from your door. Then throw the candy at them. For high schoolers, throw eggs and toilet paper at them. Don't actually do the last one, but I was a high schooler out in rural America once...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What we're doing for Halloween this year is to take down the "Deliveries Please Knock" sign, turn off our lights, grab some popcorn and watch a movie or three. Halloween in South Philly sucks. It's a combination of well meaning, well intentioned parents, with good kids, going out and having a fun walk, meeting neighbors; AND a bunch of kids going around knocking on doors at all hours, smashing pumpkins, smashing pumpkins in cars, vandalizing cars, the occasional acid etch tag on a window or spray paint tag on a wall, door or window. This is not rampant, but it does happen a lot here.
As for zombies, we have our own normally shambling hordes in town, Halloween, and every other day of the year...

Phil Forrest
This reminded me of "Devil's night" or "Mischief night" - I think anyways, we've become desensitized to that now though it may be worth looking out for it - that'd be a Friday night this year (30 OCT).
Are the kids still torching buildings to celebrate (current events excluded).

User avatar
Phil
* *
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.
Location: Mid-Atlantic region

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 pm

No one is torching anything here. The worst riots we have in Philly are not those of protest, but of celebration. When the Flyers won the Stanley Cup back in the late 70s, when the Phillies won the World Series in 2008. That's days of drunken mischief. The protests of late haven't been as bad.
Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

RoneKiln
* * * * *
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:33 am

I think MPMalloy is referring to a tradition of people in the rust belt, especially Detroit, burning abandoned buildings on Halloween. The lore I grew up with was that "Devil's Night" is referring to the arson.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Night

Looks like it's significantly declined.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
Barr
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Holy Trilogy of Dawn, Night and Day, Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, hell all of them really
Location: Texas

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Barr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm still giving out candy.

I'd like to use a slingshot to give it out from a distance, however I've been reliably informed that it may be frowned on by parents/authority figures. So instead we will be packaging individual baggies with candy and leaving them in batches on a table in the driveway while we watch zombie movies in the garage.

Also pretty sure the various Devil's Night activities have significantly declined due the the various abandoned building being torn down, and plenty of people just having left Detroit altogether
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Fuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9155
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:09 pm

Well, my "Redneck Engineering Meets Covid Halloween - Hands-Free Trick or Treat" setup has been dubbed the hit of the neighborhood. :awesome: :rofl:

Image

I've had people I've never met before coming from blocks away to see my setup and tell us how "innovative" and "creative" it is. I think it was more because we had to go with full-size candy bars to get them to slide down the pipe.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
Phil
* *
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.
Location: Mid-Atlantic region

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Phil » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm

That is hilarious and awesome.
Last night was pretty tense here. Multiple gunshots in this neighborhood (which is uncommon in these few blocks), a huge fight and one single shot just a few doors down, cops on the block a few times during the night. The 9pm curfew was a good idea. The National Guard might not be the best idea but they are here until after the election, so we'll see.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6429
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm
That is hilarious and awesome. Last night was pretty tense here. Multiple gunshots in this neighborhood (which is uncommon in these few blocks), a huge fight and one single shot just a few doors down, cops on the block a few times during the night. The 9pm curfew was a good idea. The National Guard might not be the best idea but they are here until after the election, so we'll see.

Phil Forrest
Pics? What is the NG rockin?

User avatar
Phil
* *
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.
Location: Mid-Atlantic region

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Phil » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 pm
Phil wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm
That is hilarious and awesome. Last night was pretty tense here. Multiple gunshots in this neighborhood (which is uncommon in these few blocks), a huge fight and one single shot just a few doors down, cops on the block a few times during the night. The 9pm curfew was a good idea. The National Guard might not be the best idea but they are here until after the election, so we'll see.

Phil Forrest
Pics? What is the NG rockin?
Looks like the weekend warriors are carrying M4s, some shotguns, riot shields, the entire PASGT kit.
One problem is that the day before yesterday, the city council banned the use of less-lethal means of crowd dispersal and engagement. This means that they have to get within range of a taser to be effective against one person, but it automatically bumps the ladder of force up to using firearms instead of pepper spray, CS gas, rubber bullets, beanbags. Those things are awful, but real bullets are worse. So they backed themselves into a corner where an officer would be forced to use deadly force to protect themselves.
I don't like going outside these days. I get to work from home, we have groceries delivered, Amazon, et al. Ammo comes via UPS, so that's cool. We really want to get out but right now the city seems like a pressure cooker in some places, with large swaths of streets blocked off to prevent looting.
Here's what I just looked up online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=philade ... 66&bih=625

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6429
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:30 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 pm
Phil wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm
That is hilarious and awesome. Last night was pretty tense here. Multiple gunshots in this neighborhood (which is uncommon in these few blocks), a huge fight and one single shot just a few doors down, cops on the block a few times during the night. The 9pm curfew was a good idea. The National Guard might not be the best idea but they are here until after the election, so we'll see.

Phil Forrest
Pics? What is the NG rockin?
Looks like the weekend warriors are carrying M4s, some shotguns, riot shields, the entire PASGT kit. One problem is that the day before yesterday, the city council banned the use of less-lethal means of crowd dispersal and engagement. This means that they have to get within range of a taser to be effective against one person, but it automatically bumps the ladder of force up to using firearms instead of pepper spray, CS gas, rubber bullets, beanbags. Those things are awful, but real bullets are worse. So they backed themselves into a corner where an officer would be forced to use deadly force to protect themselves. I don't like going outside these days. I get to work from home, we have groceries delivered, Amazon, et al. Ammo comes via UPS, so that's cool. We really want to get out but right now the city seems like a pressure cooker in some places, with large swaths of streets blocked off to prevent looting. Here's what I just looked up online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=philade ... 66&bih=625

Phil Forrest
I have *opinions* about why protesters want Non/Less-lethal options banned. All appearances seemed to be the NG is prepped & deployed for riot duty.

I didn't recognize the heavy-ish(?) trucks.

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Got home last night after a week away; dark house for Halloween.

@NT2C nice setup.
Tony D Tiger

User avatar
PistolPete
* * * * *
Posts: 6648
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by PistolPete » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 am

We had nice weather in STL, so us and several neighbors on the street sat out front of our houses. To be respectful to people who were afraid of contact, we set a bowl of candy 6' away from us at the top of the stairs so kids could help themselves. We figured that would keep people from having to come all the way to the door and make that door knob germ central. Out of a few dozen parties, only two parents kept their kids from going up to any of houses outside, they only took candy from bowls on the curb.

Overall I was happy to be able to give kids a normal Halloween in an abnormal year.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

IAmOne
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Outside
Location: A smallish island to the West of Europe.

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by IAmOne » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:06 pm

We had two little groups... I just gave them sweets.
Insert here a quote, Hemingway or Orwell, maybe Atwood that will really, really irritate someone.

Post Reply

Return to “All Things Pandemic”