What are you doing to strengthen your immune system?

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: What are you doing to strengthen your immune system?

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Added 400 IU of vitamin E to my daily meds now. For a guy who hates taking meds and pills I sure take a bunch of 'em these days.
  • 200 mg Lyrica every 8 hours
  • 60 mg propranolol every 12 hours
  • 10 mg ezetimibe daily
  • 50 mg losartan pot. daily
  • 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide daily
  • 81 mg aspirin daily
  • 5,000 IU D3 daily
  • B-Complex 50 daily
  • 1,000 mg taurine daily
  • 1,400 mg fish oil daily
  • 1,200 mg lecithin daily
edit: yeah, I don't care who knows stuff like this
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:40 am

Blast wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm
Simple things like this go a long way. Do you harvest the elderberries yourself?
-Blast
Yes, I harvest myself and make a syrup for the winter. I've also started growing some in my yard since it's very easy to get elderberry cuttings to root. I don't really trust commercial elderberry products because I've gotten nauseous after using them. Most of the elderberry plant is toxic so cutting corners on separating from stems and not cooking throughly enough is a recipe for disaster. My aunt also makes elderberry jelly which is amazing.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Andimia wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:40 am
Yes, I harvest myself and make a syrup for the winter. I've also started growing some in my yard since it's very easy to get elderberry cuttings to root.
Nice! Yep, elderberry bushes are really easy to start from cuttings and become practically invasive given enough water. The syrup is easy to make, too!
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:47 pm

Me personally nothing because the Lupus and boosting my immune system means sending myself into a flare. However, the kids and hubby are on A, C, D, Elderberry, Oregano oil, Zinc and Magnesium to boost theirs.

For those that haven't already, Saint Jude's did some research that showed that Vitamin A had some effect on corona type viruses. You may want to consider adding it. I did for those 3 since they're all out in it each day. Figured better safe than sorry on it.

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:48 pm

I started my family on C, D, and Zinc in late January. Hopefully we will never have to find out if it is/was helpful

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:49 pm

I got my flu shot and my pneumonia vaccine. Immune system upgrade in progress! Also if you have a condition that makes you a candidate for the pneumonia vaccine before the age 65 I highly recommend getting it in your non-dominant shoulder because it hurt a lot more than a tetanus booster.

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 am

My wife been feeding us multivitamins, vitamin-c, and everything else for years. Me...I've been keeping my mind sharp with a shot of bourbon every night.
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm

WillyWinchester wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 am
Me...I've been keeping my mind sharp with a shot of bourbon every night.
Bourbon...the essential oil of tough people! :D
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Flublock Quadrivalent - the flu vaccination for this season covers four strains, including two influenza A viruses and two influenza B viruses.
They say it takes a couple weeks to become effective.
Tony D Tiger

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:32 am

Blast wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm
WillyWinchester wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 am
Me...I've been keeping my mind sharp with a shot of bourbon every night.
Bourbon...the essential oil of tough people! :D
-Blast
Exactly. Picked up a new bottle of Bulleit earlier. It's my old standby.
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Picked up a couple new bottles of zinc supplement to add to my daily regimen of Rx and OTC's.
So: vitamin D 5000iu; centrum multivitamin; zinc; magnesium; glucosamine; and fish oil... more pills than Carter! :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:16 pm

2,000 mg of Vit C a Day.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:21 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 pm
[*]1,000 mg taurine daily
Is there a manufacturer you recommend for this? I was about to offer a warning against taurine, fact checked myself on google first, and discovered I've been wrong for years and am now thinking of trying some myself. I know there can be huge differences in quality and bioavailability of supplements made by different companies.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:06 am

Nearly two years ago I started taking nicotinamide riboside (NR), which is an NAD+ precurser. I learned about it from listening to Dr David Sinclair talk about his research on NMN.

Every spring my allergies hit and I'm fighting off sinus and lung infections. It commonly turns into pneumonia. This year I had some annoying allergies, but never had a hint of any infection. I realized I didn't last year either. I can't prove it, but I strongly believe the NR is a huge part of that.

The first 2 weeks I used it, I thought I felt an energy boost, but suspected it might be placebo effect. Then I faceplanted and slept two and a half days with the most insane vivid dreams. I assumed I was sick and having fever dreams, but checked my temp every time I woke up and never once had a fever, nor did I have the sweats that I always get from breaking fevers. I had no symptoms of illness other than extreme exhaustion and psychedelic dreams. Late afternoon of day 3 I woke up feeling the best I had felt since adolescence, and my baseline mood has been cheerful ever since. Never in my adult life has my baseline mood been cheerful. I continued having crazy dreams for months afterwards, but I sleep far better than I used to.

I think that near 3 days of sleep was my body going into a healing cycle prompted by taking the NR. Friends, family, and coworkers noticed the difference in me too.

I got some for my Dad last year, and his chess scores jumped two weeks after he started taking it (he plays extensively online) and his general mood abruptly changed for the better as well. Enough so my Mom stopped threatening to kick him out of the house. They believe it's due to the NR.

Disclaimer: I bought stock in the only company that legally makes it for US distribution, but that's not why I recommend it to people.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:16 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:21 pm
NT2C wrote:
Is there a manufacturer you recommend for this? I was about to offer a warning against taurine, fact checked myself on google first, and discovered I've been wrong for years and am now thinking of trying some myself. I know there can be huge differences in quality and bioavailability of supplements made by different companies.
I get mine on Amazon under the Now brand. All I can say is that it makes a marked difference in my perceived pain levels from my post-herpetic neuralgia.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

CG

Post by CG » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:10 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:06 am
Nearly two years ago I started taking nicotinamide riboside (NR), which is an NAD+ precurser. I learned about it from listening to Dr David Sinclair talk about his research on NMN.

Every spring my allergies hit and I'm fighting off sinus and lung infections. It commonly turns into pneumonia. This year I had some annoying allergies, but never had a hint of any infection. I realized I didn't last year either. I can't prove it, but I strongly believe the NR is a huge part of that.
I'll have to do some more research on that one, as someone who regularly has issues with allergies turning into sinus infections and bronchitis.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:16 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:21 pm
NT2C wrote:
I get mine on Amazon under the Now brand. All I can say is that it makes a marked difference in my perceived pain levels from my post-herpetic neuralgia.
Thanks. I'm making an Amazon order soon for other things. I'll add that and give it a try.
--Raptor

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:24 am

CG wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:10 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:06 am

I'll have to do some more research on that one, as someone who regularly has issues with allergies turning into sinus infections and bronchitis.
I highly recommend looking into it if you're older (it does nothing for young healthy people), even though it's not specifically for allergies. I think I'm just healthier now so allergies aren't hitting me as hard. If you enjoy listening to podcasts or interviews, there's some great ones with Dr David Sinclair on YouTube. He mostly works with NMN (another NAD+ precurser) and speaks real clearly on the science behind it. I went with NR over NMN cause at the time there were more human trials with NR. That may have changed by now. I've thought about taking both, as it seems the body processes each one differently, and I'm curious if that would allow their effects to stack.
--Raptor

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:57 am

BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:57 am
Figured this is topical;

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/mo ... -1.5162396
On the subject:

1 cup of whole milk (in the US, fortified with vitamin D) contains roughly 1/4 the US RDA for vitamin D. Orange juice, soy milk, and some cereal products are also frequently fortified.

Several types of fish (salmon comes to mind), eggs, and mushrooms are good natural sources.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”