Covid -19 Weirdness

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Covid -19 Weirdness

Post by raptor2 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm

We have seen the pictures of the vacant streets and malls.

We are going through a time that is both horrible and historic.

I set up this thread to capture images of these weird events.

Please do feel free to add things that seem weird to you so long as they are virus related

These are my contributions:
Cruise ships with captive crews and no place to go except into a holding pattern until further orders arrive.
BTW most of the crew members will not be paid for this time. Under maritime law this is both legal and normal. The crew has be fed, housed and have medical care provided on board the ship until they are disembarked. Since no nearby port will allow then to disembark the ship has to keep them on board, but it does not have to pay them.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... out-at-sea
As of May 5, there were over 57,000 crew members still aboard 74 cruise ships in and around US ports and the Bahamas and the Caribbean, according to the US Coast Guard. Many more hundreds were stuck on vessels elsewhere across the world's oceans.

https://flightaware.com/

BTW there are still a lot of flights from JFK to China despite the closed borders.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCA634
JFK to Peking
Air China 634
CCA634 / CA634
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CSN300
China Southern Airlines 300
CSN300 / CZ300 JFK to CAN (GUANGZHOU, CHINA)

A lot have been cancelled but a lot continue to fly.
https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Re: Covid -19 Weirdness

Post by boskone » Fri May 08, 2020 5:28 pm

I almost wish I was willing to be one of those annoying people who take pictures constantly and post them on the internet, because the guys outside the smoke shop the other day standing 5-6 feet apart, wearing masks, and smoking made me chuckle.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat May 09, 2020 12:15 am

Today I realized that I've become accustomed to my workplace being empty. Normally there's over 300 people working in nearly a dozen buildings on our campus. I'm now accustomed to being one of less than a dozen scattered across those buildings. It was a very weird experience to realize I had become accustomed to it.

I'm not going to share a pic of my workplace, but the parking lot being empty is eerie when I stop to think of it. Every weekday feels much like coming in on a Saturday.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat May 09, 2020 11:34 am

TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 pm

This was weird only because I didn't understand what was happening for a few days. The day after the stay at home order as declared at the state the cheap drug hotels emptied out and were essentially vacant for about three weeks. Then suddenly, inexplicably they came roaring back. The parking lots were full and there were plenty of drugged up drivers on the road. Overdoses jumped at the hospital as well. When making arrests a lot of the dopers were flush with cash which is of course an unheard of rarity. That was when I figured it out. It was the stimulus money. It simply had not occurred to me that people who who didn't hold jobs would get a check to blow on dope and hookers. Most of them have run dry by now so the brief wave is over but there is talk of more stimulus.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:34 am
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/df2b4c26 ... f2060ee61a
my biggest worry - packs of feral dogs...
Agreed.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Feb 2018

March 2020

Same supermarket aisle
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 pm
TacAir wrote:
Agreed.
Just a quick FYI based on experience volunteering on a reservation. Feral dogs can and do kill wanted animals and children. That should make feral dogs "persona non grata" in any situation and should lead to social acceptance of eradicating them. However, because people's personal pets will mix with feral dog packs and join/leave at their own leisure, it can become difficult to eradicate the feral dog packs because you risk killing someone's pet and that can make them rather homicidal.

On the other hand, I have to imagine if I lost any of my children to a dog pack, I'd be on my own streak. But it sounds like the family who had recently lost their child felt they had to cope using other means.

I grew up with wild dog packs in the woods. So when I could, I started carrying a weapon.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 09, 2020 9:23 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Agreed.
Just a quick FYI based on experience volunteering on a reservation. Feral dogs can and do kill wanted animals and children. That should make feral dogs "persona non grata" in any situation and should lead to social acceptance of eradicating them. However, because people's personal pets will mix with feral dog packs and join/leave at their own leisure, it can become difficult to eradicate the feral dog packs because you risk killing someone's pet and that can make them rather homicidal.

On the other hand, I have to imagine if I lost any of my children to a dog pack, I'd be on my own streak. But it sounds like the family who had recently lost their child felt they had to cope using other means.

I grew up with wild dog packs in the woods. So when I could, I started carrying a weapon.
If it's on my land and it's a threat to me and mine, it dies.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Agreed.

I got my first CCP in Washington state after being chased by a feral pack while doing a radio install on a rural farm. After that, I carried a .357 full time. I have no problem shooting strays, my late FIL was a sheep rancher...SOP was to shot any loose dogs on the property.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 11, 2020 6:51 am

TacAir wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 pm
woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Agreed.

I got my first CCP in Washington state after being chased by a feral pack while doing a radio install on a rural farm. After that, I carried a .357 full time. I have no problem shooting strays, my late FIL was a sheep rancher...SOP was to shot any loose dogs on the property.
I've heard that from a lot of people who keep livestock.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon May 11, 2020 6:58 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Feb 2018

March 2020

Same supermarket aisle
this is what keeps hitting me as the weirdest thing. I was so used to the store shelves being full every time I shopped I snapped a few pictures of the isles.

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 am

I've had several 'wake me up in a panic' nightmares about being in situations with lots of people not wearing ppe masks who won't get away from me and I can't get away from them. They're not aggressive or anything and mostly don't even notice me at all.

I've begun hearing comments in media here and there about COVID dreams so presume that's what mine are. It's somehow embarrassingly & selfishly comforting this isn't unique to me.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Ever wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 am
I've begun hearing comments in media here and there about COVID dreams so presume that's what mine are. It's somehow embarrassingly & selfishly comforting this isn't unique to me.
All you have to do is google "covid dreams" and numerous articles appear. You are not alone.
There are many explanations provided including stress and anxiety. I cannot imagine this current situation not being stressful.
Duco Ergo Sum

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:30 pm
Ever wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 am
All you have to do is google "covid dreams" and numerous articles appear. You are not alone.
There are many explanations provided including stress and anxiety. I cannot imagine this current situation not being stressful.
I am not having dreams, but I'm having the worst eczema I've ever had, by an order of magnitude. The other time I had bad eczema I was in grad school. I didn't connect it to stress then, but I'm now sure it was stress related then and stress related now.

I thought I was pretty chill with all this. Then I was breaking out in eczema. Now I'm done reading news stories. 100% of my info comes from ZS now and all of my internet time is spent looking at things I think are fun. And I'm investing in makers of Cortisone. (Not really, but I should)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 pm
I thought I was pretty chill with all this. Then I was breaking out in eczema. Now I'm done reading news stories. 100% of my info comes from ZS now and all of my internet time is spent looking at things I think are fun. And I'm investing in makers of Cortisone. (Not really, but I should)
Permit me to start you on your Journey Into Fun...

(the whole "Irish people try..." series is quite entertaining to me... maybe because I'm a little less than half Irish? :mrgreen:)

Current Weather in My AO

M813

Post by M813 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 am

My wife has had several vivid dreams that have woken her up. She's finally settling down and they are less frequent.

I served on submarines where every single day was filled with tension and frustration. Because our daily routine was very erratic, we learned to sleep on a dime. As a result, my brain shuts off less than 5 minutes after my head hits a pillow. She's never seen anything like it. I rarely dream, even now.

I wear masks all the time, everywhere that it is appropriate to do so. My brain has not yet become accustomed to seeing *other people* wear masks. Every time I run into a co-worker, there is an initial "???" and then I remember why they're wearing it. Weird.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am

woodsghost wrote:
I am not having dreams, but I'm having the worst eczema I've ever had, by an order of magnitude. The other time I had bad eczema I was in grad school. I didn't connect it to stress then, but I'm now sure it was stress related then and stress related now.
Stress can truly cause and facilitate a myriad of mental and physical health issues which can cause long term physical health issues. There are also different levels of stress and their impacts can vary a lot even on the same individual. I live in a results oriented, "what have you done for me lately a.k.a.hero to zero world". Stress in my world is a daily adventure that results in a high rate of professional burn out. It is very unhealthy in the long run. Unfortunately you cannot avoid stress while remaining alive. However, you can learn to recognize it and modify your behavior to deal with it.

The best thing that can happen is to ID a symptom/warning so you can at that point dial down the stress level if possible. It sounds like you have found that personal indicator.
Duco Ergo Sum

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am

raptor2 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am
woodsghost wrote:
Stress can truly cause and facilitate a myriad of mental and physical health issues which can cause long term physical health issues. There are also different levels of stress and their impacts can vary a lot even on the same individual. I live in a results oriented, "what have you done for me lately a.k.a.hero to zero world". Stress in my world is a daily adventure that results in a high rate of professional burn out. It is very unhealthy in the long run. Unfortunately you cannot avoid stress while remaining alive. However, you can learn to recognize it and modify your behavior to deal with it.

The best thing that can happen is to ID a symptom/warning so you can at that point dial down the stress level if possible. It sounds like you have found that personal indicator.
Great points.

I think my stress can be separated into "controllables" and "uncontrollables."

New kid and job instability due to virus? Uncontrollable. Maybe manageable, but not "controllable."

Stress due to reading headlines? Controllable.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Thu May 21, 2020 3:24 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am
Great points.

I think my stress can be separated into "controllables" and "uncontrollables."

New kid and job instability due to virus? Uncontrollable. Maybe manageable, but not "controllable."

Stress due to reading headlines? Controllable.
Don't forget exercise as a controllable thing. I spent time in a HIGH stress job. To manage, I ran 10-15 miles / week to keep from killing people.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am
woodsghost wrote:

Stress does funny things. After a deployment to Iraq I developed a stress related heart issue. I didn't know it was stress related at the time. I think the doctor knew he just never said anything, simply prescribing meds that I didn't take (I'm a terrible patient). During the next deployment I realized that was what was causing it on my own and a little research in to it. It was kind of life changing to realize that my conscious mind had that much control over my body down to the autonomic level. Now, no more stress related heart condition. Because after that tour I found it kind of hard to get worked up about anything short of people actively trying to kill me. And even then.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am
Great points....Stress due to reading headlines? Controllable.
(serene & tranquil emoji)

M813

Post by M813 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 am

Stercutus- What was the heart issue, if you don't mind my asking?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm

M813 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 am
Stercutus- What was the heart issue, if you don't mind my asking?
PVC's. These typically are not dangerous unless you get a lot of them. I was getting them near continuously giving me an irregular heart beat. They are commonly related to stress. The doc put me on a beta blocker even though my BP was normal and I had no other symptoms. At least he tried to put me on it. It lowered my BP so much I was getting spots in front of my eyes so I quit taking them.

The weird thing was I thought I had TB or something because to me I kept coughing and the cough would not go away. The cough was my body's way of breaking the PVC cycle and resetting the heart beat.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “All Things Pandemic”