What WILL/DID you do with that stimulus check? (Round 2)

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: What WILL you do with that stimulus check?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 pm

I just filled out the form on the IRS website. Now I just have to wait and see if they'll accept or deny my application.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:34 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 pm
I just filled out the form on the IRS website. Now I just have to wait and see if they'll accept or deny my application.
Citizens who receive VACP (like me) needed to go there & fill out the form. Citizens who receive SSDI (like me) are not to fill out the form. :? :roll:

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:31 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:45 pm
CrossCut wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:41 pm
I'm considering a Yaesu FT-450D. Installing the antenna looks less of a challenge than convincing the wife however.
Not a bad rig though.
Thanks. Challenge #1 overcome, now for my first (real) HF antenna... Looks like it's going to be an endfed 80-10M half wave semi-super-sloper, 35' at the apex, with an 1/8 wave inverted V at the far end.

Time to practice with the wrist rocket and fishing line before it arrives.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:10 am

CrossCut wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:31 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:45 pm
CrossCut wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:41 pm
I'm considering a Yaesu FT-450D. Installing the antenna looks less of a challenge than convincing the wife however.
Not a bad rig though.
Thanks. Challenge #1 overcome, now for my first (real) HF antenna... Looks like it's going to be an endfed 80-10M half wave semi-super-sloper, 35' at the apex, with an 1/8 wave inverted V at the far end.

Time to practice with the wrist rocket and fishing line before it arrives.
Good choice on the antenna. I went with a Gap Titan and never really did well with it on any band. Meanwile, a G5RV strung at 33' worked like gangbusters for hitting the Middle East/Asia. Hamsticks on my truck also worked well for hitting most of the Northern hemisphere (including one station in Norway that worked me long-path while trying to work South America long path). I now keep a G5RV and a Carolina Windham in a pair of kitty litter buckets with my ham emergency gear. The buckets work great for storing the antennas and associated hardware, guys, etc. neatly and compactly, ready for transport.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:33 am

New plan: the bill for the birth of the new little one showed up. 100% of stimulus money goes towards her birth. Fortunately my sales of unneeded gear has gone well enough and I still have my job for now so we will be again 100% debt free pretty soon here.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:24 am

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:33 am
New plan: the bill for the birth of the new little one showed up. 100% of stimulus money goes towards her birth. Fortunately my sales of unneeded gear has gone well enough and I still have my job for now so we will be again 100% debt free pretty soon here.
Sounds like a good plan :D

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 pm

I'm paying off this fancy new pistol that I have been wanting for like 6 months, I recently won some money on a scratch ticket that I used some as a down payment and I am going to be more "responsible" with the balance of the stimulus... I am going to find some dividend stocks and buy in a couple hundred and leave the rest in the bank for now.
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:40 am

And... we have our Apocabucks. $150 went for a scope mount on my BM59. That rifle and my day/night vision scope will make a formidable combination. Another $250 is earmarked for improving our long-term food stores (ie: freeze dried). The remainder will probably be used to pay down debts but we need to look at that carefully.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 am

The IRS launched an online portal to check the status of your stimulus payment. 80 million payments are being processed today.

The IRS web site is obviously overwhelmed and it may or may work properly due to 80 million+ people checking the site.

So you may simply want to check your bank account.

Also be very careful to use only the IRS web site and not a fake web site. They will ask for SS# & other details that you likely do not want to share on the darkweb.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Again your bank site may be faster and safer.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

CG

Post by CG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Ours hit. Into savings it goes, until this mess is generally over. Hubby is talking about using it to build the back deck eventually.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

CG

Post by CG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Oh, and the conversation with hubby on the phone, so the kids only heard my side:

Him: When you said it hit, I didn't think our bank account was going to be THAT stimulated.
Me: How much did you think it was going to be?
Him: $1200?
Me: That's per adult. And $500 per kid.
Him: That would explain the excessive level of stimulation.

The 16-year-old, very wide-eyed: I don't know what we're talking about, but it sounds expensive.

Me: Oh, it'll be your children and grandchildren that'll have to pay.

*followed by conversation about what it is*
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:44 pm

CG wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:33 pm
Me: Oh, it'll be your children and grandchildren that'll have to pay.
Also me speaking w/my Father today, referring to Grandchildren and such.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Seeing as how I no longer have a bank account, I'm likely going to be issued a paper check. Which is fine.

Speaking of which, is the stimulus deal just the 1200 bucks one time or did the Feds agree to the second check for another 1200 ?

Everything I'm finding just says "Americans to receive $1,200 from government" and nothing else.

Either way, I'm ok with it. 1200 bucks will help out a lot no matter if it's a one time thing or an additional one.

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:54 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Speaking of which, is the stimulus deal just the 1200 bucks one time or did the Feds agree to the second check for another 1200 ?

They are sending 2 checks, a month apart. Actual checks will take a lot longer than deposits, especially now that HE is having his autograph added to the checks.

I did not get a deposit. I don't think I'm getting one, the website isn't even giving me an answer.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:11 pm

LtCmdLeia wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:54 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

They are sending 2 checks, a month apart. Actual checks will take a lot longer than deposits, especially now that HE is having his autograph added to the checks.

I did not get a deposit. I don't think I'm getting one, the website isn't even giving me an answer.
Ok. Thanks for the info.

I tried to find info on it myself, but all I found was a few places talking about how to fill out for the stimulus package. Nothing on if folks will be getting just the one 1,200 dollar payment or an additional one.

And since I'm likely to get a physical check, I'll probably be one of the last folks to get the payment. Which is fine with me since it'll come in handy whenever it arrives.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:31 pm

LtCmdLeia wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Everything I've been able to pull up online indicates this is untrue. Is it being discussed and considered? Yes, absolutely, but no such decision has been made so far. If you have a link to a government site that says this, please share it with us.

Current Weather in My AO

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What WILL/DID you do with that stimulus check?

Post by LtCmdLeia » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I'll try to find a link. Ladies in another group I'm in were talking about it.

I admit I may be wrong
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:38 am

Earlier versions of the stimulus called for two payments, but the version that passed only has one payment. So many people would have read at one point that it was two payments and may remember that.

There are now bills being discussed that would offer additional payments.

The issue of the POTUS wanting his signature on checks was also rumor reported as news. I wouldn't be surprised if he was heard making jokes about it, but it's not a factor in the delays of checks being issued. It's just a hurculean effort to get that many one time transactions processed.

I received my stimulus deposit this last Tuesday. If we go into a prolonged recession after this, I'll use it to pay skilled tradesmen to work on my house. If I'm completely wrong about where the economy is going and the economy takes off again after this, I'll save it till the economy really does need stimulating. Either way it's going to the trades when they'll need it most.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 am

LtCmdLeia wrote:
Actual checks will take a lot longer than deposits, especially now that HE is having his autograph added to the checks.

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:38 am
The issue of the POTUS wanting his signature on checks was also rumor reported as news. I wouldn't be surprised if he was heard making jokes about it, but it's not a factor in the delays of checks being issued. It's just a hurculean effort to get that many one time transactions processed.
We need to avoid politics.

That said a point of fact here:
I have to point out 80 million individual payments (not $ but rather payments that varied in amount) were made this week and all of these were made by ACH (electronic payment)...in other words there were no checks and thus no signature needed. These payments to the greatest extent possible are being made by ACH/direct deposit thus no check will be needed for those payments. In addition an ACH typically takes 24 hours to post unlike a wire transfer that posts the same day.

Only a small proportion of people will receive a check. It actually defeats the purpose of a stimulus if people have to wait for the mail to get a check to cash or deposit.

https://wgno.com/news/health/coronaviru ... is-week-2/
Duco Ergo Sum

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 am

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 am
unlike a wire transfer that posts the same day.
I had a wire take three days to reach me. The fees were outrageous!

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:59 am

Put it into savings account.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 am
raptor2 wrote:
Wires typically cost me $20 both ways. If you ask you can often get the fees waived...but you gotta ask... and sometimes the answer is no.

In my experience wire transfers can be a wild card.

A lot depends upon the bank that is sending the wire and the one receiving it. If you use a national bank like Chase, B of A or Wells Fargo to send it to another similar national bank, if you you include the SWIFT code, it normally hits the same day. BTW if you send a wire always get the "Fed Funds #" for the wire. They will send this to you once the wire is sent (fun fact this # will have the date and sequence # of the wire when it was submitted to the fed for processing). This will aid you in tracking a wire that goes missing. I have had wires disappear for days and fortunately had the # to prove it was sent properly and timely. These days they also have to 3rd party confirm a wire so that will slow down transmission of the funds.

In this case it is the federal reserve sending the ACH so that is why there is no fee ...ACHs are generally free.

On the other hand if the recipient is a small local bank or credit union, they typically process wire through a 3rd party correspondent bank who in turn will process wires through one of the national banks. If the sender is using a similar bank/credit union even with a SWIFT code the funds still have to go through 4 banks before they reach the destination so yes 3 days is not unusual and good luck getting those fees back. Someone in that chain will say no to the request.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 am
raptor2 wrote:
Wires typically cost me $20 both ways. If you ask you can often get the fees waived...but you gotta ask... and sometimes the answer is no.

In my experience wire transfers can be a wild card.

A lot depends upon the bank that is sending the wire and the one receiving it. If you use a national bank like Chase, B of A or Wells Fargo to send it to another similar national bank, if you you include the SWIFT code, it normally hits the same day. BTW if you send a wire always get the "Fed Funds #" for the wire. They will send this to you once the wire is sent (fun fact this # will have the date and sequence # of the wire when it was submitted to the fed for processing). This will aid you in tracking a wire that goes missing. I have had wires disappear for days and fortunately had the # to prove it was sent properly and timely. These days they also have to 3rd party confirm a wire so that will slow down transmission of the funds.

In this case it is the federal reserve sending the ACH so that is why there is no fee ...ACHs are generally free.

On the other hand if the recipient is a small local bank or credit union, they typically process wire through a 3rd party correspondent bank who in turn will process wires through one of the national banks. If the sender is using a similar bank/credit union even with a SWIFT code the funds still have to go through 4 banks before they reach the destination so yes 3 days is not unusual and good luck getting those fees back. Someone in that chain will say no to the request.
And if Terry Doolittle is involved, things can get nuts.

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “All Things Pandemic”