Is COVID-19 Leading to More Gardening?

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Is COVID-19 Leading to More Gardening?

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm

People Are Planting More Vegetable Gardens
linky: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... iveupdates
...There has been a surge of people interested in growing their own food. Oregon State University's Master Gardener program noticed this, and made their online vegetable gardening course free through the end of April. Their post on Facebook was shared more than 21,000 times.
"We're being flooded with vegetable orders," says George Ball, executive chairman of the Burpee Seed Company, based in Warminster, Penn.

Ball says he has noticed spikes in seed sales during bad times: the stock market crash of 1987, the dotcom bubble burst of 2000, and he remembers the two oil crises of the 1970s from his childhood. But he says he has not seen a spike this large and widespread.

A group of college students, residents, and activists in Cleveland have crowdfunded a community garden. They have been running a free meal delivery service for those in need, are running out of donated fresh vegetables, and are planning for the long term. They say they were thinking of Victory Gardens, which started in World War I when President Woodrow Wilson asked Americans to plant vegetable gardens to prevent food shortages...
MORE AT LINK
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

CG

Re: Is COVID-19 Leading to More Gardening?

Post by CG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I need to find a resource specifically for victory gardens in desert areas.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Maybe in theory. In actual practice I drove by Lowes last night and they have stockage spilling out covering half their massive parking lot. Nobody is buying gardening stuff and the trucks are still coming.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:07 pm

CG wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm
You should check out "keyhole gardens". My parents--down around Abilene--had a modified one for a few years to almost ludicrous success.

Modified, as they used a cattle tank and didn't have direct access to the compost, but dad could reach in from the edge and just pitched the compost into the middle.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 pm

Similar message from the land down under:
Coronavirus food shortage fears prompt shoppers to target seeds and country stores
Posted 17 Mar 2020, 9:18pm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-18/ ... g/12065776
...An Adelaide nursery is reporting a significant increase in vegetable seed sales in the past fortnight. Golden Grove nursery manager Steve Neale said people had shown an interest in growing their own fruit and vegetables as a precautionary measure. "We've been selling a lot more seeds than normal … it's intensified over the last few weeks, there's no doubt about that," he said. "Certainly things like lettuces — and things like that that are quite quick growing, [such as] radishes — there's quite a lot of things you can grow that you can harvest in a few weeks, and herbs that may not be readily available. "Broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbages and silverbeet, things like that. Baby spinach as well … we've been selling quite a lot of mint and parsley and thyme."

Other garden centres have reported the same trend."We're ridiculously busy … veggie seedlings and seeds have been one of the big, big increases," said Barossa nursery owner Erica Bartsch. Ms Bartsch said some of the interest was also being driven by people looking for something to do should they be required to self-isolate...

The phenomenon is not confined to Australia, with reports of similar purchasing patterns in the United Kingdom...
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm

More seed sales, ramping up home food production, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-19- ... eed-sales/
...Alex Augustyniak, the general manager of West Coast Seeds, said his company is managing an “overwhelming number of seed orders. Hopefully we will see a continued amount of interest over the next few years once people realize how easy it is to grow your own food 12 months a year.” The owner of Spectrum Gardening in Burnaby said he’s seen an uptick in orders recently, but is worried about work cancellations as spring goes on. “A lot of the people that are looking for raised beds are worried about ‘the end of the world,'” said Theo Korolev-Barber.

More than 130 people replied to a Postmedia News post on a Facebook page dedicated to gardening in the Fraser Valley to say they were ramping up their food production because of COVID-19
- Flash

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm
More seed sales, ramping up home food production, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-19- ... eed-sales/
...Alex Augustyniak, the general manager of West Coast Seeds, said his company is managing an “overwhelming number of seed orders. Hopefully we will see a continued amount of interest over the next few years once people realize how easy it is to grow your own food 12 months a year.” The owner of Spectrum Gardening in Burnaby said he’s seen an uptick in orders recently, but is worried about work cancellations as spring goes on. “A lot of the people that are looking for raised beds are worried about ‘the end of the world,'” said Theo Korolev-Barber.

More than 130 people replied to a Postmedia News post on a Facebook page dedicated to gardening in the Fraser Valley to say they were ramping up their food production because of COVID-19
I gotta admit that it's tempting to built a couple garden beds in the back yard. I'm kinda curious if I could reasonably grow plants in something like plastic totes, so when I finally get around to selling the house I could just haul my garden off with me.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:07 pm
CG wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm
You should check out "keyhole gardens". My parents--down around Abilene--had a modified one for a few years to almost ludicrous success.

Modified, as they used a cattle tank and didn't have direct access to the compost, but dad could reach in from the edge and just pitched the compost into the middle.
Interesting. Right now, I'm working on containers because the soil out here generally sucks unless you're a cactus.

Picked up 2 books today; we'll see how useful they are.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:50 pm

CG, maybe hydroponics?
The impetus to grow things right now is not limited to those with yards.

“It’s been crazy, the amount of uptick we’ve seen in the past two weeks,” said Bryce Nagels, the founder of Nutritower, a hydroponic gardening company. (According to Mr. Nagels, the system lets people grow the equivalent of a 30-square-foot garden inside their home.)

Ordinarily, the company’s customers are schools — it’s a way of bringing gardening into the classroom. But in recent weeks the buyers have been home growers. Mr. Nagels said that most start with produce like lettuce and herbs, but “I’m growing eggplant right now and a ton of cherry tomatoes.”
Some other gems from this article, titled "Panic Buying Comes for the Seeds I’m clearly not the only one who is desperate to garden"
Seeds aren’t the only food item in short supply, of course. Good luck finding yeast, flour or a bread mill these days! But those other sudden rarities can produce food right away, while seeds are fundamentally forward-looking.

Gretchen Krusyman, the co-chief executive of Johnny’s Selected Seeds, a large seller of organic seeds for home gardeners and farmers alike, said of the demand for seeds: “Every day it just increases. We think it’s going to slow down, and there’s no sign of it slowing down.”Noah Schlager, the conservation program manager of a nonprofit seed seller called Native Seed Search, said: “I was talking with a colleague who was saying that a lot of elders lived through the Great Depression, and they remember times like this. They’ve been saying, ‘This is the time to be saving these seeds and making sure that we can feed ourselves,’” he added.
link https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/styl ... virus.html
- Flash

CG

Post by CG » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:02 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:50 pm
CG, maybe hydroponics?
That sounds like more than I have the extra brain power to figure out at the moment.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 pm

It is for me we were planning on doing a slow build up. Start this year with compost, worm castings, and chicken shit. Get it all filled in and cover with ground cloth, then cover with cover crop over winter..

Well we’ve decided to go full steam and get things going. Mom is onboard as well and started a bunch of staples yesterday. So by the time we are ready we should be good to go.

Read an article today how countries are starting to hoard food and not export it which is starting to have a major effect in trade relations. We’ll see how this goes.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:42 am

I heard a news report this morning that ethanol plants across the US may close due to the drop in oil prices. This was predicted to lead to a drop in corn prices. That would be bad for farmers who are already struggling. So, at least we won’t see a shortage in field corn.
- Flash

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:42 am
I heard a news report this morning that ethanol plants across the US may close due to the drop in oil prices. This was predicted to lead to a drop in corn prices. That would be bad for farmers who are already struggling. So, at least we won’t see a shortage in field corn.
The only bright spot is that it happened before planting season so they have time to shift to something people can eat.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:
The only bright spot is that it happened before planting season so they have time to shift to something people can eat.
Not necessarily, a lot of farmers order seed well in advance, and take delivery ahead of season. There's a good chance the seed they'd use isn't available, and if it is they don't have the money for it anymore.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Oddly, reports are that ethanol prices have gone through the roof over here in the UK, due to the demand for hand sanitizer.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52126847
BBC wrote:The sanitiser Herts Tools has been selling is made by a UK-based skincare products company called Zidac Laboratories. Its director, Jurica Weissbarth, has been fielding a lot of calls lately. Zidac can make 150,000 bottles of hand sanitiser a day, but for the past two weeks the production line has been down. It hasn't been able to get ethanol, the alcohol it puts in its sanitiser, and which has to make up at least 60% for it to kill viruses (and bacteria) effectively.

Weissbarth used to pay around £700 ($800) for a tonne of ethanol - enough for 32,000 bottles of hand gel. Last week a new supplier offered him a tonne for £10,000 - more than 10 times the ordinary price. He politely declined. But this week he was in celebratory mood after buying a batch on Tuesday for only three or four times more than usual.

The BBC called several distributors of industrial alcohol. One woman who answered the phone was close to tears; the company she worked for was closing down due to lack of stock. Others were so busy that staff were overwhelmed and couldn't talk. One website said requests for orders had gone from 300 a day to more than 6,000. None were taking new orders.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm
Stercutus wrote:
FlashDaddy wrote:
Not necessarily, a lot of farmers order seed well in advance, and take delivery ahead of season. There's a good chance the seed they'd use isn't available, and if it is they don't have the money for it anymore.
The much bigger problem will be getting food to market. With restaurants closed the grocery stores can't keep up. The supply chain is being forced down a much smaller funnel. Produce is rotting that would go in to salad bars.

Dairy farmers are slaughtering their cattle due to higher than normal beef prices and they can freeze the meat instead of just wasting the milk that isn't going in to school lunches. Milk is going to be crazy expensive next year.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm
boskone wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm
Stercutus wrote:
FlashDaddy wrote:
The much bigger problem will be getting food to market. With restaurants closed the grocery stores can't keep up. The supply chain is being forced down a much smaller funnel. Produce is rotting that would go in to salad bars.

Dairy farmers are slaughtering their cattle due to higher than normal beef prices and they can freeze the meat instead of just wasting the milk that isn't going in to school lunches. Milk is going to be crazy expensive next year.
That seems weird, because stores here--aside from sanitizers and toilet paper--are pretty well stocked. There was an initial run on groceries, but it seems like the food logistics chain's adapted.

Any sources on the produce and cattle thing?

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Post by Lambykins » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Be aware of what your state is deeming *essential* and *nonessential*.
Some states have designated seeds, seedlings and gardening tools as *nonessential*.
If you plan on having a garden, get your supplies and tools now.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm
Be aware of what your state is deeming *essential* and *nonessential*. Some states have designated seeds, seedlings and gardening tools as *nonessential*. If you plan on having a garden, get your supplies and tools now.
I'm hearing that locally. Kinda surprised, but I don't garden myself so I don't have any 'inside info'.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:14 am

Reminds me that I need to go get more soil.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:23 pm

A Facebook friend has 4 raised beds in his front lawn in small town suburbia. He recently listed his house for sale and has (allegedly) been approached by two neighbours separately via hand written notes asking if he would sell the raised beds before the house sells.

I don't see why someone wouldn't just build their own raised beds, it's like $30 of lumber and some top soil. I also don't see how you would move said bed short of digging out the top soil, relocating the frame and leaving a large patch of earth in need of sod. But he's shared the two letters to Facebook for the lols.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:42 am

I live in a rural area. I put in about a 25 X 65 garden for the first time in probably 12-15 years. Just thought, best case scenario, I have lots of Veggies this summer, Worst case, we have something to eat. I also moved it from where I had it before, so it can't be seen from the road, and I could leave the bedroom window open, and maybe catch folks in it, if they came calling one night.

But what worries me more, is there is lots of pasturage around me, that's normally kept in hay....and I'm, seeing plowed up this year. So I'm not the only having some doubts

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:47 pm

lailr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:42 am
I live in a rural area. I put in about a 25 X 65 garden for the first time in probably 12-15 years. Just thought, best case scenario, I have lots of Veggies this summer, Worst case, we have something to eat. I also moved it from where I had it before, so it can't be seen from the road, and I could leave the bedroom window open, and maybe catch folks in it, if they came calling one night.

But what worries me more, is there is lots of pasturage around me, that's normally kept in hay....and I'm, seeing plowed up this year. So I'm not the only having some doubts
I think there've been some CRP changes. There was something about the family place which--since I'm not directly involved in management--I don't remember the specifics. I'd have to ask, but I want to say the program was changed so you can't leave a field in it longer than some period of time.

Might be related to that.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:47 pm
lailr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:42 am

I think there've been some CRP changes. There was something about the family place which--since I'm not directly involved in management--I don't remember the specifics. I'd have to ask, but I want to say the program was changed so you can't leave a field in it longer than some period of time.

Might be related to that.
I don't know, it's been in hay for 20 years

Return to “All Things COVID-19”