"COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ever

Re: "COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange"

Post by Ever » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:23 am

WhoShotJR wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40324&hilit=artisan+bread

Most of you may have seen this, but if not, fun hobby and great bread. I make boules, dinner rolls, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls etc from this. Super versatile.
Thanks. I have it bookmarked to get to soon enough when my bread runs out!!
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:09 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nurse-v ... 41065.html

cross contamination while wearing Gloves
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm

Dentistry

In the UK, the dentists have stopped doing any work. Not just surgery but also check ups. I'm expecting that when they get back to work they will be swamped with emergency cases. In the meantime they are recommending pain control for anyone with problems.

So I've tried to cut the sugar and sweet stuff right down. It isn't worth losing a filling that can't be fixed. There is always saccharin and sugar free sweets.

BB

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Along with Black Beard is saying I would suggest most people stick with low risk routines that they are familiar with. The other night the EMS brought a man with his leg broken in two places. He got bored and was cleaning out the top of his shed rafters and fell breaking his leg. He then crawled inside and passed out on the couch hoping it would go away because he was afraid to go to the hospital due to the virus. 12 hours later his leg was swollen to twice its normal size.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Along with Black Beard is saying I would suggest most people stick with low risk routines that they are familiar with.
Yes, this.

And also wear your PPE. The last few times I've had to visit the ER (not always for me) there's always been someone waiting there who's poked themselves in the eye with a cane while gardening, or put their finger into the wrong end of their brush cutter, or something like that. Eye protection, work gloves, safety boots. There's no point owning it if you don't use it!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Jake832

Post by Jake832 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 am
flybynight wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm
Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:04 pm
If your apt is healthy & the hall/other apts are 'sick', you should have positive pressure (overpressure), if your apt is sick & the hall/other apts are healthy, then your apt should be negative pressure.

If sick/sick, maintain positive pressure. It's kind of a shitty thing, but life isn't perfect.
Here's what I did:
I cut 5' X 8" strips from a clear-ish 65 gallon bag to line the front door jam on the outside, top/bottom/both sides.

The bottom was tricky. I settled on stretching a strip across the bottom connected to left and right jams, reaching 5 inches up and secured with packing tape to the floor with the top loose against the door.

Several places on top & sides were loosely taped to prevent sucking inside when the door opened, but still loose enough to create an air stop when closed.

I worked it until I had no inflow air.

The whole thing stops air into the apartment and allows air to freely flow into the hallway when my balcony door is open.

Is that what you were saying to do?
Have you got a box fan ? (actually any fan with a strong flow of air and can be pointed in one direction ) position it to blow at the door straight out. Turn it on before you open the door and leave it on while you are outside your home. Hallway air will be blown away from your door.
This is basically how researchers work with pathogens in a lab environment. Except of course the whole lab has negative air flow to a Hepa filter system and the pathogens containers are opened and worked on in a BSC with it's own directional air flow to it's own filters.
okay. I tried every which way I can to position my two box fans; one only, both, stacked, high / low on separate stands, near, back further back, together, apart.

I cannot manoeuvre them in a way that doesn't also 'create' an inflow as they blow toward the opening door. (I've been hanging pieces of thread And twine up and down the door frame to track air movement)

As near as I can tell I'm getting less and shorter inflow + intensity from not using them. When I close the door without using them the parimeter plastic barrier described in previous post seals again. Using a fan prevents that seal.

And today's news report regarding finding COVID-19 in the cruise ships cabins 17 days after they were vacated (before decon procedures began) makes me feel more confident about going with a perimeter seal rather than my original plan to go with a sheet, or later thinking a variation of those hanging freezer strips. (placebo effect may be happening but at this point in the game I'm gonna take it)

I had changed my mind after those first reports on how long the virus lasts on different surfaces/conditions because I couldn't figure out a way to avoid self contamination using the door for any reason short of burning my eyes, skin, airways, and lungs with spraying bleach all the time. I 'think' the perimeter seal will take less spraying. It's certainly easier to avoid touching. I'm also more confident of the seal.

Just an idea building on all of the great thoughts above. It's unfortunately dependent on outdoor air temp though.
Also, sorry if this is a repeat, just wanted to add my thoughts. It's an echo of MPMalloy earlier.

Just put a small box fan, on low, in your window, pointing IN. And block off the rest of the opening around the fan with cardboard plastic or tape. This will make your place positive pressure. I do this in reverse when I'm painting a room, to make the room negative to the rest of the house.
Not sure if your situation will allow it, but would bring in more fresh air to your place, and push it out against the hallway. Prevailing wind will mess with you a little, and weather, but again, just a thought. Don't run your bathroom exhaust either, that will make your place more 'negative pressure' and increase chance of pulling in air through the front door.
Hope that helps! Stay safe!

Jake832

Post by Jake832 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Black Beard wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm
Dentistry

In the UK, the dentists have stopped doing any work. Not just surgery but also check ups. I'm expecting that when they get back to work they will be swamped with emergency cases. In the meantime they are recommending pain control for anyone with problems.

So I've tried to cut the sugar and sweet stuff right down. It isn't worth losing a filling that can't be fixed. There is always saccharin and sugar free sweets.

BB
Super good call! Also, when I'm lazy and around home I forget to brush my teeth as often sometimes.
I've been making a note to do it 2-3 times a day, and brush extra well. Kids especially, they don't brush unless you make them, and it's easy to forget when you aren't going anywhere.

Thank you for the reminder!

Return to “All Things Pandemic”