"COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ever

"COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange"

Post by Ever » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:40 pm

Hands dry beyond bearable from the COVID-19 Event hand washing?

Here's my decade of experience with cold&flu season 20 seconds hand washing excessive dryness:

White Vinegar

I have an empty hand sanitizer pump container filled with white vinegar sitting on each of my sinks alongside my hand soap.

After washing hands for 20 seconds with soap, then rinsing thoroughly, I do a second 20 second wash and 'rub' using only white vinegar. Then rinse again.

I have excessively dry skin anyway, and for me, for ten years now, I have only needed hand lotion on the rarest occasion throughout the entire season.

Including right now during this COVID-19 event when my hand washing has increased exponentially.

If, as one of us mentioned, your hands are cracked and bleeding, I strongly urge trying this for several days to a week to see some improvement. (if it stings a bit on broken areas, it will also quickly stop when rinsed well)

Using hand lotion after the white vinegar wash is absolutely find. Doesn't effect the vinegar part at all.

And, no, your hand won't whiff of vinegar 😄 😄
Last edited by Ever on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Re: COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange

Post by Ever » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm

Now then, someone mentioned cooking rice and lentils in a thermos??!

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Re: "COVID-19 Bug In tips exchange"

Post by FlashDaddy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 pm

I use 100% white petrolatum aka Vaseline for my well washed, well sanitized hands. My hands we’re getting pretty bad and that stuff, as always, has been a great moisturizer/healer.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 pm
I use 100% white petrolatum aka Vaseline for my well washed, well sanitized hands. My hands we’re getting pretty bad and that stuff, as always, has been a great moisturizer/healer.
Aquaphor is the same thing. It's not necessarily cheaper, but always worth comparing to Vaseline in case one's on sale or something.

I also use it--like Vaseline--on small wounds. Clean the wound, cover with a bit of Aquaphor/Vaseline/whatever, and it's kept moist and protected under a band aid...or piece of tape, whichever.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:48 pm

]
Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm
From the Video I linked "Simply preheat the thermos with a bit of boiling water, remove it, introduce the food (think rice, pasta, lentils) and fill it up with four parts of water for each part of food. Tighten the cap, shake a bit and that's it. Let it sit for some time. For rice and lentils it can be 8 to 10 hours"...

I've done this once or twice on the railroad with rice when it was wintertime and was on a long haul and needed the energy. Pour it out into a bowl with some hot sauce, spam or whatnot for meat, and enjoy it...

Thermos Cooking...

And white vinegar is amazing for many things...

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
I have Vaseline, so question: you wash 'with' the Vaseline as a soap? Or wash well, then sanitize with [some prodict], then use Vaseline?

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Brekar wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:48 pm
]
Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm
From the Video I linked "Simply preheat the thermos with a bit of boiling water, remove it, introduce the food (think rice, pasta, lentils) and fill it up with four parts of water for each part of food. Tighten the cap, shake a bit and that's it. Let it sit for some time. For rice and lentils it can be 8 to 10 hours"...

I've done this once or twice on the railroad with rice when it was wintertime and was on a long haul and needed the energy. Pour it out into a bowl with some hot sauce, spam or whatnot for meat, and enjoy it...

Thermos Cooking...

And white vinegar is amazing for many things...
Thanks. I'm going to try this with rice in the next couple of days or so..

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:
Aquaphor is the same thing. It's not necessarily cheaper, but always worth comparing to Vaseline in case one's on sale or something.

I also use it--like Vaseline--on small wounds. Clean the wound, cover with a bit of Aquaphor/Vaseline/whatever, and it's kept moist and protected under a band aid...or piece of tape, whichever.
Where (in a future non-Event time) could I find that product?

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 am

That was me with the thermos cooking. I use a plastic microwaveable one as it means that I can preheat with everything together and reheat after a while (with the top off) to speed it up a bit. Don't overfill or the food may expand and try to break your thermos.

It is a good idea to match cooking rates- lentils cook slower than white rice but the same as brown. I also put in half a stock cube to make it taste better. You can also throw in vegetables.

It has the advantage that you are not burning gas to keep it simmering and you don't need to be around to make sure nothing goes wrong. It works really well with dried bulk foods. Potential disadvantage is that it is harder to clean unless you get a wide thermos.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am

Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:
I have Vaseline, so question: you wash 'with' the Vaseline as a soap? Or wash well, then sanitize with [some prodict], then use Vaseline?
Hi Ever! Before the pandemic I gently rubbed a little Vaseline on the back of my hands and on the skin under my eyes, after my morning shower. Since the beginning of my increased hand washing and hand sanitizing pandemic habits I now put it on my hands two or three more times during the day and just before sleeping. It justs takes a small amount to make a big difference!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am

Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 am
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:

Where (in a future non-Event time) could I find that product?
Amazon, or at least around here (TX) at almost any place that sells OTC medication. It's in the hand lotion section. White tub, dark blue lid.

There's also a "baby" version, but I don't know if it's actually functionally/chemically different from the regular version, or just relabeled.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 am

Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm
FlashDaddy wrote:
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream and it's doing the job fine for now. I usually have at least one container of it around anyway because I get very dry knees and elbows, which it helps with.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Black Beard wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 am
That was me with the thermos cooking. I use a plastic microwaveable one as it means that I can preheat with everything together and reheat after a while (with the top off) to speed it up a bit. Don't overfill or the food may expand and try to break your thermos.

It is a good idea to match cooking rates- lentils cook slower than white rice but the same as brown. I also put in half a stock cube to make it taste better. You can also throw in vegetables.

It has the advantage that you are not burning gas to keep it simmering and you don't need to be around to make sure nothing goes wrong. It works really well with dried bulk foods. Potential disadvantage is that it is harder to clean unless you get a wide thermos.
I used a large Thermos like this when I was on the road with the rail road. I used one like this because every train will 85-99% of the time have a hot plate in the nose (Which may or may not work), and I could use that to reheat if needed. I used one of these titanium spook/fork combo's to eat out of the thermos or the lid/bowl combo.

Aquaphor is commonly found in Walmart pharmacy isles and in the baby care isles. I've never used it, but working outside a lot I've used Vaseline quite a lot to keep my face from being completely wind chapped...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Not sure if it's a bug-in tip or not, but I've got a little (1/2 oz, or so) pocket-sized spray bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Or I did, until it ran out today. So I've refilled it with the denatured alcohol I use in my Traangia alcohol stove. It doesnt't smell of lime much anymore, and I may need supplementary hand cream, but it should still kill germs.

On the topic of hand cream, I'm a fan of Norwegian Formula, but have found Lidl's Cien SOS Hand Cream (pictured) to be just as good and 1/4 the price.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm

My bug in has developed a problem if, as is suspected, COVID-19 is proving airborne.

The building has a hall ventilation system connected to all floors that is strong enough to create a breeze 8 feet into my apartment from around and under the door.

Back in the beginning i was counting on sheeting the outside frame with plastic. Only now that much plastic may prove to infectious since COVID is staying viable on plastic for days.

I now considering taping around & under the door for an easier less contagious exit when needed.

Does anyone have experience or ideas ?

I discarded the idea one of those fit across the bottom of the door cloth/textile things

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 am

sheddi wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm
Not sure if it's a bug-in tip or not, but I've got a little (1/2 oz, or so) pocket-sized spray bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Or I did, until it ran out today. So I've refilled it with the denatured alcohol I use in my Traangia alcohol stove. It doesnt't smell of lime much anymore, and I may need supplementary hand cream, but it should still kill germs.

On the topic of hand cream, I'm a fan of Norwegian Formula, but have found Lidl's Cien SOS Hand Cream (pictured) to be just as good and 1/4 the price.
I have heard that pure alcohol is less effective than having a bit of water in it because of the way it works on the virus.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:25 am

Black Beard wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 am
sheddi wrote:

I have heard that pure alcohol is less effective than having a bit of water in it because of the way it works on the virus.
No worries there. Take a good read of the label on the alcohol you buy in a pharmacy and you'll see most of them aren't 100% pure alcohol. Three guesses what makes up the difference. :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:59 am

Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm
The building has a hall ventilation system connected to all floors that is strong enough to create a breeze 8 feet into my apartment from around and under the door.
...Does anyone have experience or ideas ?
you might start by calling maintenance and asking if the hall way should be positive to negative in regards to the apartments.

OR have you considered assisting the building with their air balance issue by removing the inlet, and tapping some cardboard to restrict the air flow in the vent?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:04 pm

emclean wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:59 am
Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm
...Does anyone have experience or ideas?
you might start by calling maintenance and asking if the hall way should be positive to negative in regards to the apartments.

OR have you considered assisting the building with their air balance issue by removing the inlet, and tapping some cardboard to restrict the air flow in the vent?
If your apt is healthy & the hall/other apts are 'sick', you should have positive pressure (overpressure), if your apt is sick & the hall/other apts are healthy, then your apt should be negative pressure.

If sick/sick, maintain positive pressure. It's kind of a shitty thing, but life isn't perfect.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:25 am
Black Beard wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 am
sheddi wrote:

No worries there. Take a good read of the label on the alcohol you buy in a pharmacy and you'll see most of them aren't 100% pure alcohol. Three guesses what makes up the difference. :wink:
You both make good points :) I could probably add a little more water to make it go further, it seems 80% is plenty good enough for coronavirus, although others might need the full 95%.

My source for that is this article, with more info than I ever really wanted about alcohol-based hand sanitizer:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513254/
Including the snippet:
A concern about using ABHS that is not a concern for soap and water is unintended pediatric ingestions. Ethanol-based hand sanitizers can cause alcohol poisoning if a person swallows more than a couple of mouthfuls. US poison control centers received nearly 85,000 calls between 2011 and 2015 about hand sanitizer exposures among children. Several studies have found that the ingestion of ethanol from hand sanitizers can induce intoxication and hypoglycemia in children. Older children have been known to swallow hand sanitizers to become drunk purposefully.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade sanitizer that doesn't include Aloe? Since Aloe is absent from store shelves. And alternately is there a substitute for rubbing alcohol?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:56 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:14 pm
And alternately is there a substitute for rubbing alcohol?
Not really. Although since the bars are closed several distilleries are switching to making sanitizer. It kind of reminds of WWII, not that I was around for it but my parents were kids back then and I heard the stories.

Supply will catch up eventually.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Baking Through the Pandemic: Sourdough Soft Pretzels

https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/bakin ... c-s-2.html

On a related note: mandatory work at home + cancellation economy has given me time to go through my preps top to bottom. One find in the back of my refrigerator was a sealed jar of baker's yeast, circa 2012. I proofed it and while slow to take it did start bubbling. So I attempted to bake some bread. Note to self: it apparently takes far less biological activity to produce bubbles in a diluted flour solution than it does to actually leaven bread. I ended up with what could charitably be called a pair of "wheat bricks".

I also made some soup with two very old cans of asparagus that I'd sooner starve than eat straight up. The soup turned out delicious however. And I discovered that wheat bricks, once sliced, toasted and slathered with butter, are quite palatable as long as you dunk them in delicious homemade potato-asparagus soup. Bon appetit!

Return to “All Things Pandemic”