"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Lambykins » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Looks like the supply chain is rather bogged down again.
The store I work at ordered 1,219 *pieces. (a *piece* is a case of whatever)
We received 439 *pieces*.That's in dry goods, nothing refrigerated, no produce, etc.....those are separate orders.
Still doing well on dairy. Doing fine on meats/seafood, but we buy a great deal of those from more local suppliers.
Produce is kind of sketchy. Some weeks we can get plenty, the next week those same things are not available.
We have plenty of toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
What are we short of?
Stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, almost all canned tomato products.
Haven't seen any Alpo dog food (canned) in two months.
Pasta is getting low again.
Some brands of frozen pizza and frozen meals.
Canning supplies, especially lids and the more popular sizes of jars.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:37 am

Lambykins wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:52 pm
Looks like the supply chain is rather bogged down again.
The store I work at ordered 1,219 *pieces. (a *piece* is a case of whatever)
We received 439 *pieces*.That's in dry goods, nothing refrigerated, no produce, etc.....those are separate orders.
Still doing well on dairy. Doing fine on meats/seafood, but we buy a great deal of those from more local suppliers.
Produce is kind of sketchy. Some weeks we can get plenty, the next week those same things are not available.
We have plenty of toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
What are we short of?
Stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, almost all canned tomato products.
Haven't seen any Alpo dog food (canned) in two months.
Pasta is getting low again.
Some brands of frozen pizza and frozen meals.
Canning supplies, especially lids and the more popular sizes of jars.
I order my groceries online & then pick them up at the store. I can't remember the last time my order was complete. The order before the last one was about 1/3rd complete.

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Building now covid infected. Began in apt just feet from mine. So have just reconnected WiFi in apt since isolation is now the name of the game.

Sure glad you're here, ZS. The days ahead of me would be more challenging were you not.

(On the other hand the physical comfort of being on the Internet in my apartment is an enjoyment I`ve quite missed)
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area" - YT vid only

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:46 pm

scuffedboots
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the Living Dead

Post by scuffedboots » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Starting to see less and less soda. I don't drink a lot of it but it's a treat on occasion. I'm guessing this is the double whammy of C02 shortages plus aluminum?

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:05 pm

August 28, 2020 Friday
Kansas
Douglas County

- On Aug. 17, a long-term care facility reported a cluster of cases.
- At the time, one employee and three residents had tested positive. - The facility had a round of mass testing on Aug. 18, and everyone received negative results.
- Another round of mass testing conducted on Aug. 26 resulted in two more positive cases among employees.

- COVID-19 cases at KU increase to 474. Friday’s test results showed an exponential increase in the number of cases among students belonging to a fraternity or sorority since the last data release on Tuesday. In that time frame, KU reported testing 265 greek life members, and 137 of them tested positive — a percentage rate of 51.7%

- Douglas County has reported 1,303 cases as of today, an increase of 42 cases since Thursday.

- The county has averaged about 31 new cases per day over the last 14 days.
- The current average of 31 new cases per day is down slightly from a recent high of 36 cases per day in mid-August
- And up significantly from a recent low of about eight cases per day in early August.

- 869 out of the 1,303 cases are inactive or beyond the infectious period, according to Douglas County Public Health.

- Nine patients at Lawrence’s hospital had COVID-19 on Friday, two more than Thursday.

- The Douglas County Community Scorecard noted three new outbreaks of COVID-19 in Douglas County this past week.
- 24 cases from this past week were due to community transmission; that is, the cases could not be linked to a known case, an outbreak or travel.

On the other hand...

since choosing to self isolate on Aug 17, when we were notified COVID was now in our large apartment building, and discovering two cases are on my floor, one being one of the anti-masker covidiots living two doors from me (there are four more whose doorways are within 30 feet of mine).... I have had at least a brief respite from the high anxiety I get every time I suit up in protective gear and dodge the 'flat earthers' as I've begun referring to them, to exit from and return to my apartment to access wifi or take walks.

- in the last two weeks I have awakened in panic from more COVID dreams of non-maskers surrounding me.

- since I reconnected wifi IN my apartment I've spent significantly more time in the fresh air on my balcony. Sometimes typing on my Kindle.

- Because I anticipated research would indicate COVID would go past droplet spread to airborne aerosol spread in inclosed spaces like my hallway I put air inflow mitigation around my apartment door in early March I have been making daily air exchange measures using my balcony door.

It's like I was taught on this board: "You practice doing these things before you need to do them"

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm

August 31, 2020 Monday
Kansas
Douglas County

- 1375 recorded cases
- an increase of 72 cases since Friday

- 465 of these cases are active, 910 are inactive

- at this date 8 have died from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths

- as of today the county is averaging 29 cases a day over the last two weeks, down from mid August high average of 37 a day, significantly higher than early August average of 8 a day

- Lawrence hospital remains at eight hospitalized COVID-19 patients

- currently, I am experiencing much less stress being in isolation than in the weeks leading up to it when I was 🏃 the gauntlet of covidiots a couple of times a day every day from my door to get to the outside for awhile and walk, then again to return home.
Last edited by Ever on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:42 am

When this comes from the WH, you know it's bad:

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:44 am

September 2, 2020
Kansas
Douglas County

- 1,420 recorded cases (+45)

- 487 active (+22)

- 933 are inactive or beyond the infectious period (+23)

- Seven patients at Lawrence’s hospital had COVID-19 on Tuesday (-2)

- as of this posting, knowing it's now here, I have comfortably slipped into my well rehearsed isolation plan.

isolation, is more peaceful, calmer, with a dramatic reduction of stress and anxiety.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 pm

Costco has BEAUCOUP TP but none of the GSD's preferred canned dog food. Not sure what to make of that, but it's going on three weeks now. Maybe there was a recall, I'll check dogfoodadvisor.com - they've always been ahead of the curve on food recommendations.

We were trending down but the county health department shows a recent uptick... might be old cases that weren't previously reported though, a jump of 200 reported cases in 3 days. :ohdear: I sure hope that's it!

All-in-all, we're doing okay, just minor changes to social plans.

Time to start the winter preps.
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:30 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 pm
At the risk of alienating PN, I recommend a flu shot.

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:29 am

September 3, 2020, Thursday
Kansas
Douglas County

- 1,508 recorded cases (+35 since Wednesday)
- 533 active cases (+46)
- 977 are inactive or beyond the infectious period (+44)

At this date 9 have died from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths
- 3 residents in their 70s
- 5 residents in their 80s
- 1 resident in the 85+ range

Four patients at Lawrence’s hospital had COVID-19 on Thursday, one fewer than Wednesday.

The county has averaged about 27 new cases per day over the last 14 days, according to a 14-day moving average graph updated weekdays by the health department.

I will be getting my flu shot, the high dose recommended for my age.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Costco has BEAUCOUP TP but none of the GSD's preferred canned dog food. Not sure what to make of that, but it's going on three weeks now. Maybe there was a recall, I'll check dogfoodadvisor.com - they've always been ahead of the curve on food recommendations.
Try Petco or a local feed store.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm

tony d tiger wrote:

We were trending down but the county health department shows a recent uptick... might be old cases that weren't previously reported though, a jump of 200 reported cases in 3 days. :ohdear: I sure hope that's it!

Perhaps related? Louisiana at center of nationwide pet food recall

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 pm

September 4, 2020, Friday
Kansas
Douglas County

- 1,566 recorded cases (+58 since Thursday)
- 570 active cases (+37 since Thursday)
- 996 are inactive or beyond the infectious period (+19 since Thursday)

At this date 9 have died from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths.
- 3 residents in their 70s
- 5 residents in their 80s
- 1 resident in the 85+ range

Five patients at Lawrence’s hospital had COVID-19 on Friday, one more than Thursday.

The county has averaged about 25 new cases per day over the last 14 days, according to a 14-day moving average graph updated weekdays by the health department.

There have been three new outbreaks of COVID-19 in Douglas County this past week. An outbreak is defined as two or more cases not from the same household with the same identified source of exposure.

35 cases from this past week were due to community transmission; that is, the cases could not be linked to a known case, an outbreak or travel.

25,886 Douglas County residents have been tested for the disease so far. The county’s testing rate per 1,000 people is 211.7.

Douglas County has the second-highest testing rate out of Kansas’ counties, following Ford County, which has a testing rate of 260.1 people per 1,000.

Personal:
Today I got my high dose flu shot recommended for my age.

Since I was already at the grocery (pharmacy flu shots are there) I saw the powered milk had been restocked so I picked up 6 more bags that make 2 gallons each.

Community:
Places serving alcohol now have a 9pm curfew.

Building:
All four cases in the building I was aware of are considered inactive and past point of infection period.

Am currently unaware of any others though two of 'them' had refused to wear face coverings or observe physical distancing or only 2 residents in an apartment at anytime.... anywhere in here up to the time of being in quarentine.

And the apartment management doesn't seem inclined to do mass testing....

So I'm not inclined to think it has whooosh, just disappeared from the building.

Absence of evidence is definitely not evidence of absence under those circumstances.

And tonight starts another long holiday where the covidiots will surely be out in mass numbers too.

Quite a few from this building will also be attending family & friends gatherings.

Then in 4 to 14 days the local, state, and national statistics will be interesting. Interesting as in that curse said like a blessing: "May you live in interesting times."
Last edited by Ever on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:10 pm

Grocery stores in my area are pretty much normal. I hear Costco still has limits on buying many products, but nobody else seems to be having any trouble keeping stocked.

Canning supplies are nonexistent. Luckily I had a literal carload of canning supplies handed down to me from an elderly mother of a good friend that used to can extensively but hasn't for years now.

I noticed eerie gaps in the shelves of Home Depot today. I don't think it was just seasonal changes either. There were just too many bigs gaps in very normal stuff. I'm hearing contractors are having a lot of difficulty getting building materials around here as well. I'm not sure how much might be people stocking up for labor day projects or how much might be supply disruptions.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:10 pm
I noticed eerie gaps in the shelves of Home Depot today. I don't think it was just seasonal changes either. There were just too many bigs gaps in very normal stuff. I'm hearing contractors are having a lot of difficulty getting building materials around here as well. I'm not sure how much might be people stocking up for labor day projects or how much might be supply disruptions.
I've seen discussion, and the general sense is supply disruption.

Lumberjacks can't get to the tree yards, those trees which do get into the system are hitting mills which are understaffed, then going on to processing facilities which are themselves understaffed. Also supply disruptions of materials like glues and preservatives which--I suspect, but don't know--are probably sourced from China.

I have been seeing a lot of effort go into alternative, non-tree-based construction materials; anecdotally moreso than usual, though I can't really be sure about that. E.g. some cinderblock-analogs which were made with a combination of regular materials (e.g. cinder and concrete) and recycled EPS.

And construction has been positively booming. People are taking advantage of low interest rates to move up in homes or buy new ones.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm
tony d tiger wrote:

Perhaps related? Louisiana at center of nationwide pet food recall
Nope - that is dry kibble. Thanks though.

There is no recall(since 2012) but, the item is no longer listed on Costco online shopping either. So I guess we'll use this last case to gradually transition to a different brand.
Tony D Tiger

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Try Petco or a local feed store.
Nah, we'll go high-end and visit Mudbay for a similar product. :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:30 am
tony d tiger wrote:
At the risk of alienating PN, I recommend a flu shot.
PN? Never heard of her. :awesome:
I get a flu shot every year - if we should ever meat up, remind me to tell you a story about it. :clap:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:57 pm

So, we had been informed that two patients in my MIL's care facility had tested positive (asymptomatic). My wife just spent two weeks there visiting her mom. We were initially told that the patients were in isolation.

Last night we get a phone call from the care facility giving us an update, because my MIL was one of the two patients. Golly gee, don't you think it would have been nice to tell my wife this when she was there visiting? We're both pretty pissed that her mother didn't tell us herself. We are self-quarantining until my wife gets tested. :vmad:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:41 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:57 pm
So, we had been informed that two patients in my MIL's care facility had tested positive (asymptomatic). My wife just spent two weeks there visiting her mom. We were initially told that the patients were in isolation.

Last night we get a phone call from the care facility giving us an update, because my MIL was one of the two patients. Golly gee, don't you think it would have been nice to tell my wife this when she was there visiting? We're both pretty pissed that her mother didn't tell us herself. We are self-quarantining until my wife gets tested. :vmad:
Any fevers?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:41 pm
NT2C wrote:

Any fevers?
Impossible to assess as my wife is menopausal and my meds screw with my body temperature.

We do, however, both have a great appreciation for good brains. This was pre-existing though.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

CG

Post by CG » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:22 am

NT2C wrote:

Wait - did your MIL test positive while your wife was there? How long did it take them to tell you that it was your MIL after they said there were 2 patients?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”