"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ever

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Ever » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:15 pm

September 22, 2020, Tuesday
Global
- around 30,000,000 COVID-19 cases
- close to 1,000,000 deaths

It's a banner day for my country: 201,130 deaths from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths.

My beloved home, my beloved country, my beloved United States of America, wtf?
- we have 4% of the world's population
- we have 6,682,988 of the world's aprx 30,000,000 'recorded' cases.
- - - and (drum roll please) - - -
- we have 20% of the world's 'recorded' deaths from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths. w.t.f., mi amor?

Kansas
-54,510 confirmed, 600 deceased

Douglas County
- 2,118 confirmed cases (+223 in the last 8 days )
- 782 confirmed active cases (+30 in the last 8 days)
- 1,336 are presumed inactive or beyond the currently used infectious period (+193 in the last 8 days)

Remains the same: ( 👏 👍 )
As of this date 10 have died from COVID-19 or with the virus as a contributing factor in their deaths.
- 3 residents in their 70s
- 5 residents in their 80s
- 2 residents in the 85+ range

Two patients ( 👏 👍 ) at Lawrence’s hospital had COVID-19 as of today.

As of today, University of Kansas' cumulative confirmed case total is 938. The KU community also tested positive at a slightly higher rate than the week prior.

"It’s important to recognize the limitations of any forecast of COVID-19 on a university campus. The reality is, there is no precedent for our current situation, meaning there is no pre-existing model or set of assumptions that neatly fit our circumstances.

“Like universities across the country, we are learning every day about transmission patterns and mitigation strategies, and we will continue to respond to new information accordingly.”

The current number of students in isolation and quarantine has fallen to 97 ( 👏 👍) — 23 of whom have the virus and are isolating, and 74 of whom are quarantining due to having been in close contact with a confirmed case.

Given that there are always delays in reporting multiple data sources, it’s not possible to accurately calculate daily numbers.

😷
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

CG

Post by CG » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:51 am

2 thoughts on this:

1. I’ve seen info stating that in places that had an exceptionally light flu season, COVID is killing more people - basically, the ones that probably would have died of the flu had they caught it this year.

2. This is what happens when what drugs (and supplements, and vitamins) can be used gets politicized. I don’t really see other countries blocking info on the possibility of using vitamin C intravenously or telling their doctors they flat out can’t try something that has seen success in other countries. It might be there, but I haven’t seen it and don’t think it’s to the extent of the censorship the US companies and organizations have decided to do.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am

I don't trust the official mortality numbers. There have been too many cases of someone who dies and just happens to have COVID, so COVID is declared the cause of death. There was a news report several weeks ago about a 30-something guy in Colorado (I believe) who died with a BAC of .55 and the coroner listed cause of death as alcohol poisoning, but because the victim tested positive the health department changed the diagnosis. The coroner was not pleased and took it to the media. The report hit national news for a day or two and then got buried.

Who is to say how many cases like this have happened and were NOT reported.

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:12 am

Once again literally nothing of note has happened here, other than our governor wanting yet MOAR restrictions for places not having issues.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:15 am

If you divide raw deaths (assuming literally every report is a valid COVID death) by population, you get a death rate of .061%.

Call me when something relevant comes along.

And CDC states that only 6% were Cooties only deaths. The other 94% had an AVERAGE of 2.6 comorbidities. Which means those people had 3.6 illnesses including COVID. The average age of death is 81. The current average life expectancy is 78.8.

It's very bad for old, sick people. So is rhinovirus, so is Influenza A. So is going to sleep at night.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

CG

Post by CG » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:22 pm

mzmadmike wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:15 am
And CDC states that only 6% were Cooties only deaths. The other 94% had an AVERAGE of 2.6 comorbidities. Which means those people had 3.6 illnesses including COVID. The average age of death is 81. The current average life expectancy is 78.8.
If you watch ZDoggMD, he goes through those numbers. His opinion is that the 6% were certificates filled out incorrectly, because some of the comorbidities are what causes the actual death in COVID cases - ie, pneumonia, heart attack, dyspnea, etc. So, it's not necessarily that the other 94% actually had another illness to start with, but that the mechanism itself is listed on the death certificate.

And I love that auto-correct decided to call it Cooties.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm

HarlequinHal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am
I don't trust the official mortality numbers. There have been too many cases of someone who dies and just happens to have COVID, so COVID is declared the cause of death. There was a news report several weeks ago about a 30-something guy in Colorado (I believe) who died with a BAC of .55 and the coroner listed cause of death as alcohol poisoning, but because the victim tested positive the health department changed the diagnosis. The coroner was not pleased and took it to the media. The report hit national news for a day or two and then got buried.

I can give you 1, that I know about 100%. Long term friend's Mom passed from a stroke. When the death certificate came back, Cause of death listed as COVID. I trust this person 100%, and have seen the paperwork myself...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm
I can give you 1, that I know about 100%. Long term friend's Mom passed from a stroke. When the death certificate came back, Cause of death listed as COVID. I trust this person 100%, and have seen the paperwork myself...
COVID is a disease of the endothelial cells. One of the 2nd-tier (meaning less common than the SARS bit but still fairly common) presentations of COVID is stroke without precursor. If she tested positive for COVID post-mortem and she had no other risk factors nor a history that would raise the likelyhood of stroke it's a reasonable conclusion that COVID caused the stroke.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 pm

SCBrian wrote:
HarlequinHal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am

I believe you.

The CDC recommendations for reporting COVID as a cause of death is very broad. Different states have different rules about cause of death on the death certificates but as far as the CDC is concerned a "reasonable suspicion of COVID" is enough to warrant inclusion as a COVID death. If you can test it and confirm it that would be great...but otherwise a suspicion will do.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf
In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID–19 cannot
be made, but it is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances
are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it
is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as
“probable” or “presumed.” In these instances, certifiers should
use their best clinical judgement in determining if a COVID–19
infection was likely. However, please note that testing for
COVID–19 should be conducted whenever possible.

However it does not really matter since the deaths are reported by the states and they cannot seem do simple math. Double counting and miscounts are common.
Colorado had negative negative deaths at one point...not zombies or resurrections just poor bookkeeping by the .state.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 198485002/
Pennsylvania had the same issue
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 00423.html

So yes the death counts are wrong and will continue to be wrong. In many many cases they based upon estimates, opinions and "reasonable presumptions".

The real number is not likely to be known because there are competing agendas and no one seems interested in the truth.

The fact is that COVID is deadly to some people, can be deadly to others but is not deadly to the vast majority who contract it.
COVID mortality is not polio, small pox, rabies or ebola. So far it is not even the 1918 Spanish flu.

We went from "OMG we need ventilators cuz everyone will be one for weeks" to not needing them in most cases.
The biggest problem with COVID is not disease but the irrational behavior of those "trying to keep everyone safe" by shutting down the world.

The people in the world have dealt with a lot more deadly diseases for all recorded history.
COVID in LA has a 3.2% mortality rate from 162,000 cases based upon the official stats. That puts the official death at .1% of the total population. That is less than all cancer deaths in LA. Yesh not an apples to apples comparison but still some perspective.

For the record here the state is "officially" going to stage 3 opening although everyone has been at stage 3 for quite some time.
I finally had someone I know with COVID. He had he said minor chest cold symptoms but was confirmed with COVID and is over it...BTW he is morbidly obese,has high blood pressure and is in early stage diabetes ... but no COVID complications.

On the other hand we have Hepatitis A going around. I am not worried about COVID ...blood borne pathogens on the other hand, that scares the hell put of me.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_fd595 ... 1fca4.html
The source of the illness (hepatitis A) has also not been made public, but the cases are among the 1,244 the state of Louisiana has recorded since Jan. 1, 2018. Four people have died since the outbreak in the state was first declared.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:26 pm

williaty wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 pm
SCBrian wrote:
COVID is a disease of the endothelial cells. One of the 2nd-tier (meaning less common than the SARS bit but still fairly common) presentations of COVID is stroke without precursor. If she tested positive for COVID post-mortem and she had no other risk factors nor a history that would raise the likelyhood of stroke it's a reasonable conclusion that COVID caused the stroke.
Indeed.

It is a truly elegant virus. A full body cellular opportunist. Easy to dismiss when presenting mildly. Emerging research on the increasing massive numbers of the mildly effected initially, now into months of low grade negatively life altering recovery with no end in sight. Punctuated for some with periodical return of covid symptoms. Emerging evidence suggesting the virus possibly harboring long term in the gut.

I remember when people in a large area of my country were stereotyped as slow thinking, even slow witted. Then emerging evidence suggested, later confirmed, that a parasite harboring in the gut was the cause.

At this time what we don't know about this disease of the endothelial cells is far greater than what we do know.
Last edited by Ever on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:18 pm

williaty wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 pm
SCBrian wrote:
Plenty of risk factors, overweight (not obese), old age (75-80), life long smoker, sedentary lifestyle, etc. Declining health in the last few years...
She was apparently asymptomatic for covid.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 pm

boskone: YT video

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am

This is NPR's lead story for the day: Internal Documents Reveal COVID-19 Hospitalization Data The Government Keeps Hidden

I read it. I didn't read into it.

(exasperated emoji)

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:50 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am
This is NPR's lead story for the day: Internal Documents Reveal COVID-19 Hospitalization Data The Government Keeps Hidden

I read it. I didn't read into it.

(exasperated emoji)
This is raw data that is provided by the states...the same states that have revised the data to the point where it is garbage...well in a way I guess it could save lives...several states reported negative deaths ... they clearly have the cure since they raising people from the dead...and evil people are not sharing this miracle cure. :clownshoes:
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:10 am

October 31, 2020
Kansas

My county is one of the two dozen out of 105 that mandated public nose and mouth covering, and we & the others are currently experiencing around 50% less of the rise in the counties that didn't. With factored in population and projected need and ability to physically distance, still around 50%.

So the two dozen are current doing better than the rest of the state which is not doing well at all. How long we'll be safer is only a guess and hope. (that's a weird feeling statement) In my county 100% of the deaths are my demographic, with no care facilities here yet driving the numbers.

Topeka though is beginning to struggle with their care facilities.

Our hospital is at 40% bed capacity, and 20% ventilator use capacity.

At this time I need to resupply my eggs. I will be out in two days. I will again cook and freeze four dozen, and frige store another six. That'll give me a little over 3 months worth, with a resupply maybe New Years Day early morning for another ten dozen if available, to get me through March.

I'm still anticipating getting to May with my stores. If not settling down in March will begin consider moderate but comfortable rationing to get through June.

Would like to get some stocked dehydrated foods but I've only bought from Thrive for years and they've been out of stock forever.

Any brands I could check out with maybe more stock coming in?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:10 am
October 31, 2020
Kansas

My county is one of the two dozen out of 105 that mandated public nose and mouth covering, and we & the others are currently experiencing around 50% less of the rise in the counties that didn't. With factored in population and projected need and ability to physically distance, still around 50%.

So the two dozen are current doing better than the rest of the state which is not doing well at all. How long we'll be safer is only a guess and hope. (that's a weird feeling statement) In my county 100% of the deaths are my demographic, with no care facilities here yet driving the numbers.

At this time I need to resupply my eggs. I will be out in two days. I will again cook and freeze four dozen, and frige store another six. That'll give me a little over 3 months worth, with a resupply maybe New Years Day early morning for another ten dozen if available, to get me through March.

I'm still anticipating getting to May with my stores. If not settling down in March will begin consider moderate but comfortable rationing to get through June.

Would like to get some stocked dehydrated foods but I've only bought from Thrive for years and they've been out of stock forever.

You try Mountain House or Wise Foods yet, Ever ?

I've heard Mountain House is pretty good albeit high in sodium in certain dishes and Wise can be hit or miss on taste. This is all just what I've heard and not what I've found for myself since I've yet to try either company.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:18 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:03 pm
I've heard Mountain House is pretty good albeit high in sodium in certain dishes and Wise can be hit or miss on taste. This is all just what I've heard and not what I've found for myself since I've yet to try either company.
The MH I had in the 80's was excellent, but that was the only time I ate stuff like that.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:48 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:18 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
The MH I had in the 80's was excellent, but that was the only time I ate stuff like that.
I've never tried any MH foods, but I keep wanting to pick up a couple of the smaller packs at Walmart to try before I sink money into the big cans of it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:48 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I've never tried any MH foods, but I keep wanting to pick up a couple of the smaller packs at Walmart to try before I sink money into the big cans of it.
:mrgreen: ...try before you buy...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:17 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I can highly recommend the chicken & dumplings which I bought back in January. Of course, what I paid $27 for (4 pack) and thought was expensive then is nothing compared to the $59 price today
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
They're pretty good, but in my (admittedly relatively limited) experience the indicated amount of water is never right. Offhand, the two I remember are beef stroganoff (needed more water) and breakfast scramble (needed less).

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:10 am
October 31, 2020
Kansas

You try Mountain House or Wise Foods yet, Ever ?

Auguson's supposed to be good, but their stock is pretty spotty recently. And I've never personally tried 'em.

But I do remember seeing their dehydrated scrambled eggs in stock recently-ish. They also have "minuteman" meals, which I'm curious about but couldn't find any info on.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
:mrgreen: ...try before you buy...
Yeah, I can stomach being out 8 bucks for a single serve pack of dehydrated food, but not however much a #10 can goes for now.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:11 am

This thread's been quiet for a while, has everyone died of 'rona or something? :mrgreen:

So here in England (the other nations of thr UK have their own systems) things have been a bit rough for a while. Daily fatalities picked up mid-October, were stabilised (but not really reduced) by a 3-week mostly-lockdown in November, and have ticked upwards again. Since late-November there have been three "tiers" with Tier 1 having fewest restrictions and Tier 3 having the highest.

Until Friday, Berkshire was in Tier 2. Yesterday (Saturday) it was put into Tier 3 due to rising cases. Yesterday, the government introduced a new Tier 4 which is almost-a-lockdown and today (Sunday) Berkshire was placed in Tier 4, together with 17 million other people.

I've not been out and about today but recent experience in supermarkets, takeaway restaurants etc. is that the majority of people have been social distancing and wearing facemasks indoors. Footfall seems low compared to "normal" let alone to the density of shoppers etc. I'd usually expect this close to Christmas.

For us, at least, Christmas is being delivered, largely by Amazon.

I find the FT's charts here to be pretty useful for both absolute numbers and international comparisons.
https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?ar ... ues=deaths

The FT also have charts for US states, and (to my eyes, at least) the traces for the Dakotas are horrifying, although they have inproved recently.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”