COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheUnpossibleRalph

Re: The Coming Civil War - (Warning: No Politics)

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:22 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:06 pm
TheUnpossibleRalph wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:18 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:07 pm
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:09 am

True but difference there was they weren't making unsubstantiated claims about things. They observed things, formed hypothesis, tested it, etc. I'm talking about the village idiot/town drunk now given a wider audience to annoy with their patently false claims. There's a big difference between Cletus the full time drunk and part time alien abductee that "ain't gonna wear no mask because covid is made up!" and Copernicus proving a heliocentric solar system.
And for every Copernicus or Marie Curie advancing the world against resistance, we have a few hundred or thousand obnoxious jerks. Like most power in the world, a balance is best. Societal pressures do harm, and societal pressures keep a lot of negative aspects of people in line.

Social media has been used to do a lot of good. It's also let a lot of people act out without societal feedback that used to keep them in line. 24/7 Even before the loudmouth in the bar got punched out, there was a chance for him to see firsthand that he had upset someone. That reigns in a lot of people. Then his buddies might tell him to cut it out. Or someone might get in his face. There was a ton of societal feedback from the people around him even before he might get punched out.

Social media stripped a lot of those feedback mechanisms away. Right now, I feel the bad aspects in that are outweighing the good. I hope that changes and that someday I look back and think it was a silly fear.
Good points and I agree there. I'm not saying these idiots don't have a right to fire off their shit cannon, but they might get other people around them riled up enough that they get punched in said shit cannon. Good point about the other societal pressures. I'm not saying always go with the crowd but it is a good survival mechanism to not piss off the entire tribe/village/town with your antics. Being eccentric is one thing and can make you endearing to others, being a horse's ass gets old really quick and wears out your welcome.

I'm not even against social media so much that it just allows people to say things without any form of fact checking or even consequences barring something extreme like threatening someone or posting something illegal. I think it's very dangerous that mentally ill people are on there in echo chambers instead of getting help for their problems.

Price of free speech I guess.
The other problem I have is the misinformation spread right now is legit killing people by convincing people not to do things like socially distance themselves, wear masks, or even get the vaccine when it's more widely available. Anti-maskers are going to be the anti-vaxxers of next year.

My point here is that the possible civil war we are seeing here is that both sides aren't listening to each other any more. Instead they just sit in their echo chambers, egg each other on about how awful the other side is and make it a point to 'stick it' to the other side despite it having negative consequences for everyone. We're seeing Balkanization here that is ratcheting up with the new attack in Nashville. Something's gonna give and it's gonna be ugly.
So, when I am "out in public" and see someone not wearing a mask, I give them a wide berth. If outdoors, it's usually mutual since I too am unmasked when out for a walk (but have a bandana around my neck in case of unavoidable necessity).

Indoors I "cover up" in public - which is not often.

What are you (and the world health organization; center for disease control; FED/STATE/local GOV) basing the effectiveness of masking on - and do you recognize the walls of your own convenient echo chamber?
Masks have worked in the past for similar diseases. Notice we have a pretty small flu season this year? The masks and social distancing is what is helping with that. If you go read up about the Spanish Flu this is playing out a lot like it. There were anti-maskers back then. Why anyone is opposed to masks is beyond me. It's not even that bad to wear one all day. I do it every day and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think the big thing about people not wanting to wear masks is a sort of selfishness that is rampant in our current society. Egotistical people think they are too important to be arsed to wear a mask and keep a distance from each other.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:22 pm
Masks have worked in the past for similar diseases. Notice we have a pretty small flu season this year? The masks and social distancing is what is helping with that. If you go read up about the Spanish Flu this is playing out a lot like it. There were anti-maskers back then. Why anyone is opposed to masks is beyond me. It's not even that bad to wear one all day. I do it every day and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think the big thing about people not wanting to wear masks is a sort of selfishness that is rampant in our current society. Egotistical people think they are too important to be arsed to wear a mask and keep a distance from each other.
Yeah, except the actual report on the Spanish Flu from 2008, of which Fauci is a credited contributor, calls out improper use of facial coverings (which is also happening today, nobody is doing masks right according to clinical guidelines) contributed to bacterial pneumonia which killed more than the flu itself.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... a-pandemic

Do you know why we don't have a lot of flu deaths this year? Because everything is written off as covid and because people are staying home from work and school way more.

There's a ton of reasons other than selfishness to resist mask wearing. If you're interested in my thoughts on the topic you're welcome to read the whole bunch of words I've written on it here:
https://steemit.com/covid/@pistolpete/h ... arm-people
It's way too much to share here and has scores of citations, which would be a pain to copy over.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

TheUnpossibleRalph

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:52 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Yeah, except the actual report on the Spanish Flu from 2008, of which Fauci is a credited contributor, calls out improper use of facial coverings (which is also happening today, nobody is doing masks right according to clinical guidelines) contributed to bacterial pneumonia which killed more than the flu itself.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... a-pandemic

Do you know why we don't have a lot of flu deaths this year? Because everything is written off as covid and because people are staying home from work and school way more.

There's a ton of reasons other than selfishness to resist mask wearing. If you're interested in my thoughts on the topic you're welcome to read the whole bunch of words I've written on it here:
https://steemit.com/covid/@pistolpete/h ... arm-people
It's way too much to share here and has scores of citations, which would be a pain to copy over.
Interesting, I'll give them a read. Either way, I'm wearing a mask and keeping away from large gatherings. This is a boon for introverts like me who don't care for large crowds of people.

Well that and I'm required for my job. Kinda don't want to lose it and hey, it keeps people from seeing my ugly mug! Win win for everyone!

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 pm

This statement is making an awful lot of assumptions about people and their motivations. Frankly, I think you are wrong. However, my brother would think you are 100% correct and has vented this opinion to me on multiple occasions. As for me, the data in mask wearing is not convincing since I've seen data which says there is no difference in rates of contracting COVID between those who wear masks and those who do not. The pushback is "but *I've* read stuff that says mask wearing is essential." And that leaves people at a bit of an impasse.

I don't judge those who wear or don't wear. I know people who cannot wear a mask due to respiratory disease or injury. Then there are people who have contracted it and are immune. There are people who have got the vaccines. As far as I'm concerned, none of them need to wear masks. Then, in addition, there are people who live in bum f*ck nowhere with no cases and they are told to mask up?

But the issue here is not "masking vs not masking." The issues are 1) who gives someone the right to make assumptions about the motivations of other people? And 2) how much social control are we going to surrender to other people just because they tell us to? For me, that is a rather big issue and if I was big into surrendering control to those who claim "authority" I would not be a Prepper.

Again, I don't judge people for making choices. I also don't appreciate people forcing me to act in a certain way and I'm highly concerned about moving toward a totalitarian society.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TheUnpossibleRalph

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:12 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 pm

This statement is making an awful lot of assumptions about people and their motivations. Frankly, I think you are wrong. However, my brother would think you are 100% correct and has vented this opinion to me on multiple occasions. As for me, the data in mask wearing is not convincing since I've seen data which says there is no difference in rates of contracting COVID between those who wear masks and those who do not. The pushback is "but *I've* read stuff that says mask wearing is essential." And that leaves people at a bit of an impasse.

I don't judge those who wear or don't wear. I know people who cannot wear a mask due to respiratory disease or injury. Then there are people who have contracted it and are immune. There are people who have got the vaccines. As far as I'm concerned, none of them need to wear masks. Then, in addition, there are people who live in bum f*ck nowhere with no cases and they are told to mask up?

But the issue here is not "masking vs not masking." The issues are 1) who gives someone the right to make assumptions about the motivations of other people? And 2) how much social control are we going to surrender to other people just because they tell us to? For me, that is a rather big issue and if I was big into surrendering control to those who claim "authority" I would not be a Prepper.

Again, I don't judge people for making choices. I also don't appreciate people forcing me to act in a certain way and I'm highly concerned about moving toward a totalitarian society.
If you are out in public inside a building and not wearing a mask, you're selfish and that's fine but don't act like there's a legit reason to not be masked up indoors. You can cite your health all day long but if it's that bad to the point a cloth masks is kicking your ass, you shouldn't be in there to begin with. Indoors is the worst place to be during a pandemic because you are at a high risk of being killed by it. Either get someone else to do your shopping or man the fuck up and wear a mask for 10 minutes while you get what you need. I know people who have heart issues and even a guy with one lung who are wearing one all day. If they can do it, you can as well.

I honestly don't see how having to wear a mask in public during a pandemic is anywhere near a totalitarian government. Go talk to some people who have fled them, they might slap the shit out of you for suggesting wearing a cloth mask is in the same league as being jailed for speaking your mind or even just being accused by someone. Or they might just curse you out, I don't know.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:50 pm

^^ This reminded me of an incident today ^^

While outdoors, walking the doG through a grocery store parking lot today, (bandana tied around my neck "cowboy-style" and at the ready) I witnessed an older woman (probably mid 60's; obese but not really bad... "portly" is apt) berating a man a full three parking spaces away for smoking a cigarette. She was upset that he would be so inconsiderate as to stand by his car smoking while she was forced to be exposed to his second hand cigarette toxins as she loaded groceries from cart to car. She was wearing some variant of N-95 mask and visibly agitated. That he just shrugged it off only increased her vitriolic display.

After she drove off, he leaned back against his car and took another drag, finally turning toward me as we (doG and I) approached to within ~10 feet or so. "You gonna say something too?" He asked. I replied "it seems to me she was pretty upset about the cigarette smoke. I wonder if that mask was providing any protection from COVID?" and we both smiled. Talked a little about the weather, and beaver felt hats, then he complimented the doG's good behavior... and we left him by his car.

Point being, these stupidfish who feel it is their duty to "correct" another person's behavior are relying on social mores and values that really depend on courteous, civil treatment of others. You never know what folks are going thru at anytime; and added stressors are not helpful.

As the saying goes, "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar" ...
Tony D Tiger

TheUnpossibleRalph

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:11 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:50 pm
^^ This reminded me of an incident today ^^

While outdoors, walking the doG through a grocery store parking lot today, (bandana tied around my neck "cowboy-style" and at the ready) I witnessed an older woman (probably mid 60's; obese but not really bad... "portly" is apt) berating a man a full three parking spaces away for smoking a cigarette. She was upset that he would be so inconsiderate as to stand by his car smoking while she was forced to be exposed to his second hand cigarette toxins as she loaded groceries from cart to car. She was wearing some variant of N-95 mask and visibly agitated. That he just shrugged it off only increased her vitriolic display.

After she drove off, he leaned back against his car and took another drag, finally turning toward me as we (doG and I) approached to within ~10 feet or so. "You gonna say something too?" He asked. I replied "it seems to me she was pretty upset about the cigarette smoke. I wonder if that mask was providing any protection from COVID?" and we both smiled. Talked a little about the weather, and beaver felt hats, then he complimented the doG's good behavior... and we left him by his car.

Point being, these stupidfish who feel it is their duty to "correct" another person's behavior are relying on social mores and values that really depend on courteous, civil treatment of others. You never know what folks are going thru at anytime; and added stressors are not helpful.

As the saying goes, "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar" ...
Indeed and I'm not suggesting going around and berating people for not wearing a mask. I am just annoyed by folks who are not going to wear one when it is needed to stick it to some political boogeyman. The lady in your story is irrational and just as damaging as someone who is going to "own the XYZ" political group they don't like. It's very disturbing we can't just act like adults and behave. People are their own biggest enemy.

Honestly who the hell gets worked up about someone smoking outside that far away from them? I don't smoke anymore but man did I hate people who would act like I was blowing it in their face when I was a good 20 feet away from them.

Like Carlin said, "Think of how dumb the average person is, now realize that half the people are dumber than that!".

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: COVID-19 Chat Thread

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:27 am

Admin Warning:

If y'all want to discuss mask use, do it in the right area. That is not the "Civil War" thread. Next time, I might just RSB them all instead of being nice and moving them for you.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:27 am
Admin Warning:

If y'all want to discuss mask use, do it in the right area. That is not the "Civil War" thread. Next time, I might just RSB them all instead of being nice and moving them for you.
Thank you(?) :|

I went looking for an applicable quote (the "Armed society" one came to mind in regards to belligerent citizens) and stumbled across another gem: "There is nothing in this world so permanent as a temporary emergency."

Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the purpose of preparing for the zombies. Because maybe the belligerents aren't the exception anymore; maybe they're in the majority.

Anyways, we are still aiming for compliance with state and federal guidelines. We avoid unnecessary trips to the store; support our favorite "mom and pop" restaurants using takeout (for a while they were allowed to have seated dining - but we continued to do takeout, because lower exposure=lower risk), and I continue to avoid folks that represent unnecessary risk... whether by not wearing their mask in confined areas or thru other types of non-conforming (one might even say protesting) behavior.

I need to get a good scanner. :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:43 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:30 pm
I went looking for an applicable quote (the "Armed society" one came to mind in regards to belligerent citizens) and stumbled across another gem: "There is nothing in this world so permanent as a temporary emergency."
I am giving serious consideration to using this as a sig line.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:45 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:43 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:30 pm
I am giving serious consideration to using this as a sig line.
Especially, given our common experience.
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just a YT video, but an important one

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:52 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 am

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Single YT video

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:15 pm

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 am

Results of a clinical trial of 606 COVID positive patients treated with PVP-I just released.

Effect of 1% Povidone Iodine Mouthwash/Gargle, Nasal and Eye Drop in COVID-19 patient, January 2021.
ABSTRACT: Background: The sudden onset of COVID-19 began in late 2019 caused by a novel coronavirus (SARS-COV2) and on 11th March, WHO declared it to have developed pandemic status. There is still no specific treatment and vaccine available for COVID-19; causing wide spread health problem and concern of the globe. Povidone iodine (PVP-I) is an antiseptic that has been used for over 150 years. It is already proved that different concentration of PVP-I can deactivate COVID-19 virus. Methodology: In this randomized controlled clinical trial, out of 1113 patients 606 patients
were enrolled and divided in 2 groups by randomization after taken consents. In Gr-A, 303 patients underwent mouthwash/gargle, nasal drops and eye drops with 1% povidone iodine 4 hourly for 4 weeks as well as symptomatic treatment according to need. In Gr-B 303 patients were advised mouthwash/gargle, nasal cavity and eye wash with lukewarm water 4 hourly for 4 weeks and symptomatic treatment according to need. RT-PCR test done every 3rd, 5th and 7th day and Thyroid hormone level (TSH,T3, T4, FT4) at 4th week for follow up. Results: The group of patients used 1%
PVP-I have shown tremendously reduced mortality, morbidity and hospital as well as financial burden in this covid situation. Conclusion: Administration of 1% PVP-I as mouthwash/gargle, nasal or eye drop is simple, rapid and cost effective in reduction of mortality and morbidity by COVID-19.
Preparation and Method of Application of 1% PVP-I –
10% PVP-I is found all over the country. But 1% commercially available PVP-I is found only in a few cities or town. Most of the 1% PVP-I was formed from 10% PVP-I in the following manner - Povidone Iodine 1P 10% v/w in purified water 1P q.s. Therefore, use 1 mL of PVP-I in 10mL of sterile water/purified water. 1% PVP-I is introduced into oral cavity as mouth wash. Care is taken to ensure the solution is distributed throughout the oral cavity for 30 seconds and then gently gargled or, held at the back of the throat for another 30 seconds before spitting out. Then 4-5 drops of 1% PVP-I is introduced to wash the nostrils by dropper and 2 drops in each eye. This application is done 4 hourly for 4weeks.
In our study, patients of Gr-A (those who used 1% PVP-I) are tremendously improved over Gr-B (those who used only lukewarm water) in terms of RT-PCR test result, mortality, hospitalization with or without oxygen support (Table-2&3). In table-2, only 11.55% patient’s show RT-PCR test positive in Gr-A on 3rd day where as 96.04% is positive in Gr-B. On the other hand, 2.64% patient is positive on 7th day in Gr-A and 70.30% positive in Gr-B. So, it is clear that 1% PVP-I can vigorously reduce the viral
load in oral cavity, nasal cavity and naso-oropharynx.
Long rant deleted, fuggit, I'd probably just be preaching to the choir here anyway. I'll just say that I think it's fucking criminal that this isn't part of the treatment regimen already. There's more trials underway, some testing it as a preventative and some others as a treatment, a couple completed (without results posted) and some more that have already run past their expected completion dates. None terminated, which they would if adverse effects were found. And PVP-I is still $22 a gallon at Amazon.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 am
... And PVP-I is still $22 a gallon at Amazon.
^^^^ --- Good data. ---- ^^^^

Since this requires only a 1% solution you can buy 8 ounces of 10% solution and get 80 ounces of solution for $5.20 to try it out.
You should have a decent supply this on hand in your FAK anyway for would treatment.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MWTH4MW/ ... ON6M2&th=1

Note: I mix the 1% solution in with Listerine based upon the results of another study for daily oral hygiene (not eyes or God forbid Listerine nasal passages!).
The Listerine masks the iodine taste but it still tastes awful. If you use it for eye drops and nasal cavities you have to be very careful with the cleanliness of the water used to dilute it.

I cannot and do not offer any clinical proof that it is beneficial in preventing COVID but others have found evidence that, even just in oral hygiene use, it may be beneficial.

YMMV
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 am

raptor2 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm
CrossCut wrote:

Since this requires only a 1% solution you can buy 8 ounces of 10% solution and get 80 ounces of solution for $5.20 to try it out.
You should have a decent supply this on hand in your FAK anyway for would treatment.

Note: I mix the 1% solution in with Listerine based upon the results of another study for daily oral hygiene (not eyes or God forbid Listerine nasal passages!).
The Listerine masks the iodine taste but it still tastes awful. If you use it for eye drops and nasal cavities you have to be very careful with the cleanliness of the water used to dilute it.

I cannot and do not offer any clinical proof that it is beneficial in preventing COVID but others have found evidence that, even just in oral hygiene use, it may be beneficial.

YMMV
Same here with the Listerine/PVP-I for the mouthwash. For the nasal spray I use distilled water and add a little glycerine (USP) first, then add enough PVP-I to make a 1% strength solution.

For the eye drops, I'll use non-medicated eye drops (discount brand Artificial Tears), and use an insulin syringe to measure and transfer the PVP-I into the bottle. The little needle on the insulin syringes fits through the tiny hole in the eye drop bottle. Even new, there's enough extra capacity in the little 15 ml eye drop bottles to hold an extra 1.5 ml of PVP-I. We don't use this regularly as a prevention, just did it once to make sure it'd work.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:57 am

CrossCut wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 am
raptor2 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm
CrossCut wrote:

YMMV
Same here with the Listerine/PVP-I for the mouthwash. For the nasal spray I use distilled water and add a little glycerine (USP) first, then add enough PVP-I to make a 1% strength solution.

For the eye drops, I'll use non-medicated eye drops (discount brand Artificial Tears), and use an insulin syringe to measure and transfer the PVP-I into the bottle. The little needle on the insulin syringes fits through the tiny hole in the eye drop bottle. Even new, there's enough extra capacity in the little 15 ml eye drop bottles to hold an extra 1.5 ml of PVP-I. We don't use this regularly as a prevention, just did it once to make sure it'd work.
I'm afraid to even imagine why you should drip some rubbish into your eyes? Infection with COVID through the eyes will not occur, there is not such a mucous membrane as in the nasopharynx. But to damage vision is quite likely. In the same way, I see no point in rinsing the nose and washing off the protective layer of mucus, which prevents the virus from fixing on the walls of the cavity. You harm yourself by constant washing.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 am

Challenger007 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:57 am
I'm afraid to even imagine why you should drip some rubbish into your eyes? Infection with COVID through the eyes will not occur, there is not such a mucous membrane as in the nasopharynx. But to damage vision is quite likely. In the same way, I see no point in rinsing the nose and washing off the protective layer of mucus, which prevents the virus from fixing on the walls of the cavity. You harm yourself by constant washing.
I've been doing layman research on this topic, including the eye drops, for almost a year now. viewtopic.php?t=84225&start=120 The eye drops specifically after Dr. Li Wenliang in Wuhan believed he may have caught it treating a patient with glaucoma.
https://www.ajmc.com/view/covid19-may-b ... port-finds

I'm not a physician, I stand on the shoulders of giants, but if you have any scholarly references to support your assertion that this is "rubbish" I'd very much like to read it.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am

[Posted in the wrong thread but....still applies]

Just something to consider: we frequently talk about physical fitness here being a prep. I want to give it another plug. It is a good prep no matter WHAT happens (war, natural disasters, alien abduction).

Remember, ideally, you will get old. Everything I've heard says physical exercises help you to go into old age with better muscles, but joints take a beating. Doing "nothing" helps preserve your joints but leads to very weak muscles. The best path will probably be to find a balance between muscle stress and joint stress.

Remember to start small and work up. Personally I have found working with a good coach to provide a lot of benefits in teaching me the basics of fitness and how to do things without permanent body damage.

So please consider getting started if you have not already. And if you have got started, good on you!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am

Just something to consider: we frequently talk about physical fitness here being a prep. I want to give it another plug. It is a good prep no matter WHAT happens (war, natural disasters, alien abduction).

Remember, ideally, you will get old. Everything I've heard says physical exercises help you to go into old age with better muscles, but joints take a beating. Doing "nothing" helps preserve your joints but leads to very weak muscles. The best path will probably be to find a balance between muscle stress and joint stress.

Remember to start small and work up. Personally I have found working with a good coach to provide a lot of benefits in teaching me the basics of fitness and how to do things without permanent body damage.

So please consider getting started if you have not already. And if you have got started, good on you!
I'm never accepting a burpee challenge from you again. :evil:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 pm
woodsghost wrote:

Lol!

Didn't you kick it's butt? It kicked my butt for almost a month as I worked up from 50 to 100. I then coasted at 100 for a few months and got distracted. So I picked up kettlebells, did a lot with 20 lbs for a few months, and just bought a 40 lb kettlebell. That was a bit too big of a jump all at once, but I'm going slow and learning the new weight. I think this will hold me for 6 months or more.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Lol!

Didn't you kick it's butt? It kicked my butt for almost a month as I worked up from 50 to 100. I then coasted at 100 for a few months and got distracted. So I picked up kettlebells, did a lot with 20 lbs for a few months, and just bought a 40 lb kettlebell. That was a bit too big of a jump all at once, but I'm going slow and learning the new weight. I think this will hold me for 6 months or more.
Day 0: I look up burpees on YouTube. That doesn't look hard. "Sure Woods, I'm in! I'll start tomorrow!"
Day 1: I wake up and decide I'll start easy, just a set of 30, then a set of 20. 12 in and I DIE. But I committed to Woods, so I do sets of 10 to 15 through the day. I make it to 50.
Day 2: sets of 10 to 15 through the day, cause I committed to Woods. And I make it to 50.
Day 3: sets of 10 to 15 through the day, cause... :words:
Day 4: 2 sets of 15 and... Fuck that guy. I'm going back to the horrid quality audits I hate to do at work. :lol:

I went back to pushups and pullups.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Lol!

Day 0: I look up burpees on YouTube. That doesn't look hard. "Sure Woods, I'm in! I'll start tomorrow!"
Day 1: I wake up and decide I'll start easy, just a set of 30, then a set of 20. 12 in and I DIE. But I committed to Woods, so I do sets of 10 to 15 through the day. I make it to 50.
Day 2: sets of 10 to 15 through the day, cause I committed to Woods. And I make it to 50.
Day 3: sets of 10 to 15 through the day, cause... :words:
Day 4: 2 sets of 15 and... Fuck that guy. I'm going back to the horrid quality audits I hate to do at work. :lol:

I went back to pushups and pullups.
OUCH!!! Yeah, I ain't no superman. I had to work up to it. Good on you with the pullups and pushups!

And quality control kicks my butt. Right now I'm working on new data tables. It pays the bills and I think it's fairly secure right now.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”