COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: COVID-19 Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:08 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:07 am
People just keeping buying them all, causing other people to buy them all before someone buys them all. :roll:
As funny as it is true. Unfortunately.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am

A good self-care strategy.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 am

Is there is lockdown or sip order in St. Louis?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 am
Locally meat prices have shot through the roof, especially beef. Cube Steak at Publix was $17/lb. Other stores were the same. That indicates there might be some kind of issue; but I am not sure what the issue might be.

I am not going to pay that much and I don't have to.
My guess is that the rate at which meat can be processed and brought to market is limiting. There's an increased demand, but by the time they correct the increased demand, that same demand will likely have tapered off to national averages. In the mean time, they'll make more money off the fewer people who will buy through the next couple of months and use that increased revenue as a buffer when demand drops off.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

dpayette

Post by dpayette » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 am
Is there is lockdown or sip order in St. Louis?
Yes starting on Monday 6pm for the city. The county should sip at 12:01am on Monday, this was announced on Friday the 21st.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/hea ... -top-story

Sorry gave times from memory, and needed to edit for the correct time

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 am
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 am
Locally meat prices have shot through the roof, especially beef. Cube Steak at Publix was $17/lb. Other stores were the same. That indicates there might be some kind of issue; but I am not sure what the issue might be.

I am not going to pay that much and I don't have to.
My guess is that the rate at which meat can be processed and brought to market is limiting. There's an increased demand, but by the time they correct the increased demand, that same demand will likely have tapered off to national averages. In the mean time, they'll make more money off the fewer people who will buy through the next couple of months and use that increased revenue as a buffer when demand drops off.
Some of the issue might be getting the supply system realigned. A lot of meat (and other ingredients) were going to eat-in restaurants. Now that more people are eating at home, the supply chain needs some time to switch up and get foods to stores instead of restaurants.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm

A very quick update while I'm cooking dinnner:

UK:
5683 confirmed cases (+665)
281 deaths (+48)

At face value that's a slowing of the rate of increase from yesterday, but I really wouldn't hang any hopes on that. We've had outliers in the past and I suspect this is another.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Tesla-inspired zombie-proof bunker sees surge in interest after Russian architect adds ‘coronavirus protection’

https://www.scmp.com/business/companies ... rest-after

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:10 pm
Tesla-inspired zombie-proof bunker sees surge in interest after Russian architect adds ‘coronavirus protection’

Zombie proof? I'm not seeing it. Where is the moat and drawbridge? And unless they're tastefully integrated into a harmonious design, I'm seeing a distinct lack of flame throwers or gun turrets. I'm thinking it must be minefields, right? Is that what makes it zombie proof? At least give us a portcullis and some murder holes. :crazy:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:29 pm

There is an online calculator now to address the toilet paper question.

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:29 pm
There is an online calculator now to address the toilet paper question.

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
I was rather bummed (pun intended) that "current value" was what you enter for rolls on hand and not the estimated eBay value of my stash. :(
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:10 pm

I got the results of my covid test from the hospital about an hour ago. Wednesday night I was hospitalized overnight with my temperature spiking to 102.8 and dry cough. I was swabbed and tested for flu a&b, strep and RSV. Those results were negative. I was covid tested with the deep swabs, I believe they poked my medulla oblongata with the swabs. The result was negative. I officially do not have covid, just random double viral pneumonia with ground glass opacity. I am shocked. I must have the worlds worst luck.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Zombie proof? I'm not seeing it. Where is the moat and drawbridge? And unless they're tastefully integrated into a harmonious design, I'm seeing a distinct lack of flame throwers or gun turrets. I'm thinking it must be minefields, right? Is that what makes it zombie proof? At least give us a portcullis and some murder holes. :crazy:
8-) but I have to agree w/my main FBN. No anti-zed features.

What else ya got?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:29 pm
There is an online calculator now to address the toilet paper question. https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
I Am SET!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Holger Danske wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:10 pm
I officially do not have covid, just random double viral pneumonia with ground glass opacity. I am shocked. I must have the worlds worst luck.
Or... it's a mutation. :ohdear:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

TC

Post by TC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:20 am

Holger Danske wrote:
I got the results of my covid test from the hospital about an hour ago. Wednesday night I was hospitalized overnight with my temperature spiking to 102.8 and dry cough. I was swabbed and tested for flu a&b, strep and RSV. Those results were negative. I was covid tested with the deep swabs, I believe they poked my medulla oblongata with the swabs. The result was negative. I officially do not have covid, just random double viral pneumonia with ground glass opacity. I am shocked. I must have the worlds worst luck.
Not sure whether this is good news or bad news, mate. Hope you’re doing better now than you were before though and hopefully a better recovery awaits you.

I also seem to be doing better today. Last two days were a bit of a worry as I was coughing a lot more and almost uncontrollably at points but today seems better. Current advice seems to be that the cough can continue for some time after antibodies are produced but you are no longer contagious. Hopefully this is the case. Presumably this is caused by the shedding of dead cells in the lungs being cleared out and some inflammation remaining?

My only concern now is that I may not have had it at all, as with Holger. I was rather relieved before that I would at least hopefully have less chance of reconstructing the disease if I had already had it (I appreciate the full picture with immunity post infection is not known with certainty yet).
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm
Holger Danske wrote:
I officially do not have covid, just random double viral pneumonia with ground glass opacity. I am shocked. I must have the worlds worst luck.
Or... it's a mutation. :ohdear:
This is the thing that worries me. The Spanish flu pandemic had two distinct waves . The first wave was a really bad flu that killed tens to hundreds of thousands. Then it mutated into a disease so novel and deadly that it would trigger a cytokine storm in people who caught it . It killed by the millions.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:27 am

TC I'm glad you are well. My cough is down by about half. I still have the occasional coughing fit. I have my own personal belief that it's too coincidental for me to blindly believe that I am covid negative. I will continue my self quarantine for the final week. A mutation makes sense, also the internet seems to think that false negatives occur. One poor guy got 3 positive and 3 negative covid test results. I do know that I had a dry cough for a few days followed by a high temperature. Then I developed my first ever viral pneumonia that presented on x-ray and cat scan as classic covid according to the hospital radiologist.

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Post by max v » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 am

Germany to ban gatherings of more than 2 people for at least 2 weeks

From Deutsche Welle
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

Ultra1974

Post by Ultra1974 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:37 am

Question for those in shutdown states (sorry if it is dumb):
I am currently in north Florida. Friday I have to return my son to his mother in central Florida 3 hours away from his spring break. In states that have mandatory shutdowns, is travel limited? Will I run into issues returning him?

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am

Here in Tampa - Travel is AOK so far.

I expect we'll be going into further lock down though. But gas/drive throughs should remain open.

You could consider asking other parent to defer until drama over.

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 am

By the way all! Greeting!!!! Been away for a while - but never stopped prepping. Meant to post this sooner, but distracted by patriot nurse. You know how that goes.... :rofl:

I will say, you guys TOTALLY called this thing. :clap:

Johnnie_T

Post by Johnnie_T » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Holger and TC, I think I speak for everyone here in saying that we are glad you are both COVID-19 negative so far and we wish you both a speedy, healthy recovery.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Ultra1974 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:37 am
Question for those in shutdown states (sorry if it is dumb):
I am currently in north Florida. Friday I have to return my son to his mother in central Florida 3 hours away from his spring break. In states that have mandatory shutdowns, is travel limited? Will I run into issues returning him?
I have positive confirmation that travel is NOT limited from Pensacola,FL all the way to Las Cruces,NM border on I-10.
Gas stations are open and restaurants still offer drive through. Hotels are showing vacancy signs.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”