COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
cbare
*
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days
shaun of the dead
Location: Santa Fe

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by cbare » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 am

FYI: I was able to find the N95 respirator, along with other gear such as gloves and eye protectors, hand sanitizer my local dollar store.
Demented and sad, but social...

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2778
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Confucius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:13 am

Haven't seen a lot of info on the recent deaths, but the latest report from Beijing has a bit...

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4465486845009579?


Google translate is a little wonky:
eight new cases of pneumonitis infected with the new coronavirus were found in the city, including one who was a close contact with previously confirmed cases, and has been sent to municipal designated medical institutions for treatment. One case of death was a male, 50 years old. He went to Wuhan on January 8 and developed fever after returning to Beijing on the 15th. He went to the hospital on the 21st and was diagnosed on the 22nd. His condition worsened today and he died of respiratory failure due to respiratory failure. As of 20:00 on January 27, the city has accumulated 80 confirmed cases, of which 2 were discharged, 63 were stable, 12 were critically ill, 2 were critically ill, and 1 died.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17053
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 pm

cbare wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 am
FYI: I was able to find the N95 respirator, along with other gear such as gloves and eye protectors, hand sanitizer my local dollar store.

In my area there are still a lot of N-95 masks and disposable gloves on the shelves.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by moab » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Maybe this was already posted. Here's a dashboard with map that shows realtime updates on the coronavirus.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2247
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Here is a little update on the US Consulate in Wiuhan. Assuming no hold up s from the Chinese ministry, a 240 pax charter jet will arrive tomorrow. In addition to the regular crew it will have some in flight medical personnel for monitoring and limited care. The entire consulate is closing operations. Remaining seats are supposed to be offered to AmCits based on their vulnerability to the virus.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm
Here is a little update on the US Consulate in Wiuhan. Assuming no hold up s from the Chinese ministry, a 240 pax charter jet will arrive tomorrow. In addition to the regular crew it will have some in flight medical personnel for monitoring and limited care. The entire consulate is closing operations. Remaining seats are supposed to be offered to AmCits based on their vulnerability to the virus.
1st stop after wheels up in China?

Anchorage AK.

Ain't we lucky?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm
Here is a little update on the US Consulate in Wiuhan. Assuming no hold up s from the Chinese ministry, a 240 pax charter jet will arrive tomorrow. In addition to the regular crew it will have some in flight medical personnel for monitoring and limited care. The entire consulate is closing operations. Remaining seats are supposed to be offered to AmCits based on their vulnerability to the virus.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17053
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm

1st stop after wheels up in China?

Anchorage AK.

Ain't we lucky?


Never mind that this reads like the prelude plot device of every ZPAW and EOTWAWKI movie.

What could possibly go wrong!?


:clownshoes:


Oh yeah thats right...
majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:33 pm



User avatar
Elusive Despot
* * *
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:01 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Elusive Despot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 pm

There are currently 4,295 confirmed cases worldwide, including 106 fatalities.

2714 of the 4295 are in Hubei province.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/t ... rus-cases/
A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.- Proverbs 22:3

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2574
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm
Here is a little update on the US Consulate in Wiuhan. Assuming no hold up s from the Chinese ministry, a 240 pax charter jet will arrive tomorrow. In addition to the regular crew it will have some in flight medical personnel for monitoring and limited care. The entire consulate is closing operations. Remaining seats are supposed to be offered to AmCits based on their vulnerability to the virus.
1st stop after wheels up in China?

Anchorage AK.

Ain't we lucky?
I just saw that.... Also gonna be great if they pull people off it in AK due to unforeseen illness at boarding. Then there a 50% chance of me seeing them at the hospital....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm
TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm
Here is a little update on the US Consulate in Wiuhan. Assuming no hold up s from the Chinese ministry, a 240 pax charter jet will arrive tomorrow. In addition to the regular crew it will have some in flight medical personnel for monitoring and limited care. The entire consulate is closing operations. Remaining seats are supposed to be offered to AmCits based on their vulnerability to the virus.
1st stop after wheels up in China?

Anchorage AK.

Ain't we lucky?
I just saw that.... Also gonna be great if they pull people off it in AK due to unforeseen illness at boarding. Then there a 50% chance of me seeing them at the hospital....
Sounds exciting :clownshoes: . Seriously you got this.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6448
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:09 pm

The Wuhan Virus channel on YT is gone. The message is "This channel does not exist." YT also shows that I'm still subbed.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:29 am

First confirmed human to human transmission in Europe

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/euro ... hina-virus
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Virus Cases Jump 60% overnight; Hong Kong Limits Travel from Mainland

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/worl ... e=Homepage

Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6448
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:07 pm


User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Chinese villages are cutting themselves off from the world with makeshift brick walls to try to stop outsiders from giving them the Wuhan virus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-vill ... 23691.html
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

max v
* *
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror
Location: Lowlands

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by max v » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:17 pm

I get the feeling we're better off watching the Simpsons than any of the talking heads out there.
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Dabster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm

It sounds like the Wuhan corona virus is fairly flu-like, some people are dying but not a massive number (reported yet). What seems to make it unusual is that it is (I think this is the term) asymptomatically contagious, where you can catch it from someone who shows no symptoms. From what I've heard, this is really new and if real -really frightening.

If My understanding is right, could you indulge a (probably paranoid, uninformed and generally stupid) theory? What if this fairly mild virus was released to test this new capability? Will we then have to anxiously watch for them to combine this with something more lethal?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6448
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Dabster wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm
It sounds like the Wuhan corona virus is fairly flu-like, some people are dying but not a massive number (reported yet). What seems to make it unusual is that it is (I think this is the term) asymptomatically contagious, where you can catch it from someone who shows no symptoms. From what I've heard, this is really new and if real -really frightening.

If My understanding is right, could you indulge a (probably paranoid, uninformed and generally stupid) theory? What if this fairly mild virus was released to test this new capability? Will we then have to anxiously watch for them to combine this with something more lethal?
So a test run for "The Stand" kind-of-a-thing?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6448
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:03 pm


absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Wuhan people keep out: Chinese villages shun outsiders as virus spreads

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZR1CX

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Dabster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:46 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm
So a test run for "The Stand" kind-of-a-thing?
Yeah... Sorta?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Dabster wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:46 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm
So a test run for "The Stand" kind-of-a-thing?
Yeah... Sorta?
Why do a test run on your own country? If this was planned we wouldn't hear of it until it had spread across most of our country.
Right now , the scariest part of this is it's mostly centered in a country known for its secretive and censoring ways. How do we know only about a hundred people have died ? If it was no more deadly than the flu, why are villages walling themselves shut to keep others out? A deadly illness that is spread asymptomatically is the zombie apocalypse. ( minus the zombies). We could wake up tomorrow to find large portions of major cities infected. With no vaccine to inoculate the uninfected , the only recourse would be quarantine entire regions. Not leave your homes. The economy would crumple.

ETA If only single digit amount of the U.S became sick , The loss of life would still be staggering because of the lack of preparedness of most people who could not buy food.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 pm

well shit howdy

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/KDHE- ... 62621.html

KDHE investigating possible coronavirus case in Douglas County
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Post Reply

Return to “All Things Pandemic”