"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by boskone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm
Tomorrow I am "fully vaccinated".

Whatever that means :roll:
Same thing it means every year, Pinky...I mean, MP.

You're OK until the next go-round with COVID.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

Pinky was always cooler than Brain. :rofl:

My company has already opened up one of our offices in a rural state that rolled out the vaccine well. Tonight an email came out saying they expected to start opening most of our other offices over the next two months, but everyone gets up to 30 days from an office opening to start coming regularly. So the period of people gradually trickling back in will make it easier to slow down or reverse course. And they were clear about being willing to slow or reverse course based on a mix of both regional conditions and feedback from staff.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:00 pm

boskone wrote:
I needed a laugh more than a 'lil bit :D

Thanks bos.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:24 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 pm
boskone wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Pinky was always cooler than Brain. :rofl:

My company has already opened up one of our offices in a rural state that rolled out the vaccine well. Tonight an email came out saying they expected to start opening most of our other offices over the next two months, but everyone gets up to 30 days from an office opening to start coming regularly. So the period of people gradually trickling back in will make it easier to slow down or reverse course. And they were clear about being willing to slow or reverse course based on a mix of both regional conditions and feedback from staff.
We're all-hands back in like a month and a half.

Which I think is pretty dumb, for the most part. Manufacturing and a few others necessarily have to be on-site, but most of the company could perfectly well work from home.

Of course, it's far from the least efficient thing my employer does, so I can't say as I'm actually surprised.

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Friday April 23, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ↗ Average daily case count. 8.5
- ↘ Average positive rate. 2.7%
- ↗ Current active cases. 197
- ↘ Current hospitalized. 2
- ↔ Total deceased 87
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 98.93
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:22 am

Monday April 26, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ↗ Average daily case count. 9.07
- ↗ Average positive rate. 3.0%
- ↗ Current active cases. 217
- ↗ Current hospitalized. 4
- ↔ Total deceased 87
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 105.58

🤔

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:37 am

Any veterans hesitant to stand in a long line at the Dallas VA, and likely any other VA in North Texas, can come get their shot now. For at least the last week the line has dwindled to only a handful of people at any given time, and the VA's restrictions have been lifted as follows:

As of two days ago, all veterans, caregivers, spouses, and CHAMPVA beneficiaries are eligible to get the vaccine.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:37 am
Any veterans hesitant to stand in a long line at the Dallas VA, and likely any other VA in North Texas, can come get their shot now. For at least the last week the line has dwindled to only a handful of people at any given time, and the VA's restrictions have been lifted as follows:

As of two days ago, all veterans, caregivers, spouses, and CHAMPVA beneficiaries are eligible to get the vaccine.
👏 👏 👏

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:07 pm

India is obviously having an issue with COVID. This reminds me of last year around this time albeit with the PRC not India.

Heads up for a potential shortage of produced goods and tech support.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/2 ... es-run-out
India’s death toll from COVID-19 has crossed the grim milestone of 200,000 as the country continued to face shortages of hospital beds, medical oxygen and other essential supplies.

A calamitous second wave of the coronavirus has seen at least 300,000 people test positive each day for the past seven days, overwhelming health facilities and crematoriums and prompting an increasingly urgent response from allies overseas sending equipment.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:07 pm

India is obviously having an issue with COVID. This reminds me of last year around this time albeit with the PRC not India.

India’s death toll from COVID-19 has crossed the grim milestone of 200,000 as the country continued to face shortages of hospital beds, medical oxygen and other essential supplies.

A calamitous second wave of the coronavirus has seen at least 300,000 people test positive each day for the past seven days, overwhelming health facilities and crematoriums and prompting an increasingly urgent response from allies overseas sending equipment.
Duco Ergo Sum

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:02 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Heyyyy. I had already noticed hydrogen peroxide completely missing from my grocery for a week now, which though I am still nicely stocked still had me wondering if something is going on.

But today I went to pick up another box of disposable gloves and replenish my disposable mask stock a bit. Their stock of gloves and masks gone. And I thought to myself something's up somewhere.

<face palm> Of course. India.

If we're diverting to their crisis I'm glad we can help. (I had begun playing fast and loose with my mask and gloves supplies. Time to notch up the prepper belt for awhile.)

Good luck, India, if any of you are out there reading this.

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat May 01, 2021 3:00 pm

Went to grocery to pick up cans of chicken because of the news mentioning a possible shortage with chicken production for a bit.

Am not yet seeing any stock of disposable gloves/masks or hydrogen peroxide. Hand Sanitizer stock is out now too (except for some off off off brand I've never seen or heard of heard of.

Though, restock of everything may be right around the corner.

Checked out cleaning isle - full.

Was looking there for a cleaning product I needed and found a 40 count box of nitrile disposable gloves. Looks and feels identical to surgical with minor shorter wrist cut.

CG

Post by CG » Mon May 03, 2021 8:37 am

I actually just picked up hydrogen peroxide on Thursday or Friday and there seemed to be plenty at the grocery store. Nonstick gauze pads seem to be in short supply everywhere, but I've been able to find a pack or 2. Will stock up on more of those and the rolls of stuff that looks like an Ace bandage but sticks to itself once stocks seem to be replenished. Here's hoping I don't need them again for a while!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm

I have not noticed any shortages that said I have noted significant price increases on a lot of products.

You should look at your stores and any routine use items especially anything with a long shelf life (i.e. The aforementioned gauze) you may want to replenish and perhaps stock a little deeper than usual. Prices are going up. especially anything that involves fuel & shipping.
The White House said inflation is likely to settle back down after a temporary acceleration in the next few months
Note politics at the link.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... transitory
Duco Ergo Sum

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed May 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Wednesday May 5, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬇ Average daily case count. 7.86
- ↘ Average positive rate. 2.86%
- ↘ Current active cases. 204
- ↗ Current hospitalized. 5
- ↔ Total deceased 87
- ⬇ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 91.45

Still looking pretty good in my neck of the woods.

Enjoying the outside and more and more selective conversations with those who have been and continue to be respectful of contagion hygiene curtesy.

Pest control in this multi floor of multi residences building has begun again after more than a year. It was shut down because of our age demographic's vulnerability if the virus was carried in by workers.

A few of us did get it, a few of us died, but it could have been way worse. My door air flow macgyver possibly worked as hoped with the small outbreak on my floor, with the hospital confirmed COVID death of the tenant across from me who swore he did not have it, and masks had been half-ass if at all used by those who became infected on my floor.

Now that all adults can be vaccinated, as soon as pest control got their shots, pest control was reinstated. We all, management & tenants alike, knew we were walking a wire with a halt that long because it is quite easy for pests to proliferate if they get a foothold in a building like this, and we have had a smattering of the usual suspects, including over the past five years, yearly low level bed begs in an apartment or three here and there. (my luck has held so far re bb) But the building held, we've been thoroughly inspected, and we're back on track to catch critters when they show up again.
Last edited by Ever on Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 am

Another negative test result for me today (and all my family in the last couple of days, somehow we've got out of sync).

Hoping to meet my parents this weekend, for the first time since August 2020 (we've spoken and Zoomed, but haven't actually *met* in that time).

Local area: the 7-day COVID rate is flat, 30 cases in the area, 17 cases per 100k population.

National: the 7-day case rate is currently 22 per 100k, down again slightly on last week. The national death rate is 0.1 per 100k, with 90 COVID-linked deaths reported in the past 7 days.

Currently, UK-wide, we have administered 34.8 million first vaccinations and 15.9 million second vaccinations. 66.1% of over-18-year-olds have received at least one dose, and 30.2% have received two doses. It's suggested that 70% might be sufficient to achieve "herd immunity" so we're getting close, but not quite there yet.

All the above stats taken directly or indirectly from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Sat May 08, 2021 4:17 am

If you look at the numbers of deaths in the UK and divide it by the fatality rate and the population you get a rough estimate of the proportion of people who have had Covid. I think this is 35-40% of the population. It is probably an under estimate for the unvaccinated people as the people who need to be more careful get the vaccine first.

You can probably add about 12% on to the vaccinated numbers because of the people who are unvaccinated but who had the virus. So we are well into herd immunity territory for the current UK situation.

There are still going to be outbreaks in small areas but they won't last long.

Ever

Post by Ever » Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 am

Friday May 7, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬇ Average daily case count. 6.57
- ↘ Average positive rate. 2.2%
- ↘ Current active cases. 193
- ↘ Current hospitalized. 4
- ↔ Total deceased 87
- ⬇ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 76.48

Just look at these numbers. They are amazing me.

As another ZSer and I were talking about the other day, I'm beginning to feel like maybe, just maybe, I've survived this Event.

Last February (2020) I wouldn't have given odds on it. But, even though resigned because I have all the strikes against me with health, age, urban crowded living conditions, I just kept prepping to survive.

Isolating months longer than the other tenants because I'd prepped for a full year if needed. Macgyvering my doorway as best I could so the apartment minimized air intake from the common hallway entrance in cases of infected neighbors. Balcony door feeding fresh oxygen for 8 hours a night. Increasing vitamin D because of the studies showing a high number of those who didn't make it had D deficiency.

Following the data as it broke fast and furiously.

Doing what ZS taught me to assist my efforts and comforts for a long siege if needed.

With my underlying health conditions I am well aware just on any day my life cycle could end anyway. But I didn't want this COVID death, with its lights and tubes and comas, and recovery, if recovery there was, that turned into months of people caring for me.

And maybe, just maybe, I've pulled it off. This thing certainly isn't over yet, with these variants coming down the pike. I know that. But I stay ready with my preps in case I have to go to ground again. I'm vaccinated. Moderna's working on a booster for the S. Am. & Brazilian variants. I'm still cautious. I also have a growing bit of life now without anxiety of this shitfuck virus.

I watch the local numbers and being urban am glad I lived in a mask mandated county. Our numbers were significantly lower than the nonmask mandated percentages.

If nothing else I get to be out in spring before it hits, if it hits again because of the variants and if I feel the need to self isolate again.

Grateful to ZS for following this from the beginning to alert me. Grateful to ZS for having these nonpolitical threads to listen and talk on. Grateful for my years in ZS learning I could prep for a year in my very small apartment.

Just look at those numbers for my county: ↘ ↘ ↘ ↘ Didn't know for many months if I'd live to see them.

We have tornadoes out and about now. My GO bag's ready. With the additional NCB bag ready to grab in case of total evac from them, or fire.

Last edited by Ever on Sun May 09, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Ever wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 am
As another ZSer and I were talking about the other day, I'm beginning to feel like maybe, just maybe, I've survived this Event.
I've never met you and I most likely never will, but I'm sat here with a stupid grin on my face having read this :D

Congratulations Ever, I'm glad that ZS was here for you and I'm really glad that you've made it through.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Ever

Post by Ever » Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 pm

sheddi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 pm
Ever wrote:
I've never met you and I most likely never will, but I'm sat here with a stupid grin on my face having read this :D

Congratulations Ever, I'm glad that ZS was here for you and I'm really glad that you've made it through.
<sitting here thousands of miles away from you grinning back>

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Ever wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 pm
sheddi wrote:
Ever wrote:

Stupid grins... All just part of the ZS service! :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Ever

Post by Ever » Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm
Ever wrote:
sheddi wrote:
Ever wrote:

:clownshoes:

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 am

Ever wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 pm
NT2C wrote:
Ever wrote:
sheddi wrote:

Thanks Ever for your regular and detailed updates.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ever

Post by Ever » Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 am
Ever wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 pm
NT2C wrote:
Ever wrote:

Thanks Ever for your regular and detailed updates.
Thanks for reading them.👍 Ya rarely knows for sure that anyone is listening, and that's okay, it still cathartic for me because ZSers are pretty much the only people I know who might get the need I have to write them down.

Making more room in my head for less troubling things like Adventures in Cooking w Spices using my prepped storage. "I wonder what canned sweet potatoes taste like with cumin and sauteed dehydrated onions." Or rice and pasta with taco seasoning. (actually, not bad at all)

And then tell me what's happening during this shared Event where they are.

😊

Return to “All Things Pandemic”