"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ever

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Ever » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:40 am

sheddi wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm
Hello everyone, good to see this thread is still active!

Here in the UK we're five (or is it six?) weeks into our latest national lockdown, with the end at least two weeks away. (Supposedly the Gov't will give two weeks notice of the schools returning,and we've not had that.) It's not quite as strict at the March 2020 one but schools and most retail businesses are firmly closed.

My two children (teens now, although the oldest was a pre-schooler whren I joined ZS, where has the time gone?) have been schooling from home all calendar year. The schools have been much better organised at giving lessonss via MS Teams etc. than I had expected; back in March-July 2020 they received essentially no schooling at all.

I'm splitting my time between the (socially distanced) office and home working. There are some things that require IT tools that can't be done from home; the corporate CAD and ERP platforms, for example.

Regarding COVID, the UK had a crazy spike in cases, hospitalisations and deaths through December and January. At the peak we had 80k cases and almost 2k deaths daily, in a country of ~65 million. The lockdown has brought those figures down a lot; cases are down to 10k daily, and deaths a little under under 1k.

Grocery stores are still open and well stocked. Mask wearing is mandated in most indoor spaces (not your own home) and, from what I've seen, is widely practiced. I would guess that of 20 random people in a store, 16 will be wearing masks effectively, 3 wearing them less ineffectively (eg. only over their mouth, leaving their nose exposed) and only one will be maskless. Young children are an exception; they aren't required to wear masks, more for practicality reasons than anything else.

One interesting side-effect of almost a year of COVID restrictions is very low rates of other infections. Rates of infection with two enteric viruses, norovirus and rotavirus, are at historic lows (see link) while influenza has been pretty much wiped out.

On a personal note, the stockpile of canned and shelf-stable goods I purchased in February 2020 was largely not required during Lockdown 2020 and the similar stockpile I prepared for Lockdown 2021 was also unnecessary. Fortunately it's all stuff that we eat routinely as a family and so we ate through the 2020 stocks in autumn/fall 2020 and are now making a start on the 2021 one. Similarly the gasoline, diesel and LPG haven't been needed yet, although the winter isn't over and I might yet need to fire up the generator if we get a bad storm or some other event to interrupt the grid.

So far this calendar I've visited my office and the supermarket several times, the gas station and the pizza place twice each, and have bought takeout coffee once. And I think that's it for travel.

One unexpected finding last year was that, with there being much less travel, car batteries were going flat while the vehicles were on my driveway between uses. I've invested in an additional battery charger (a smart one, that can be left connected indefinitely) and it seems to be working well.

Finally, my parents and in-laws, all in their 70s, have received the first doses of their COVID vaccinations. My wife and I are in our 50s so, if everything goes as the national plan suggests, we should get our first shots by the end of March.
It is good to hear from you. I, well many here (US), follow closely what's happening where you are.
On a personal note, the stockpile of canned and shelf-stable goods I purchased in February 2020 was largely not required during Lockdown 2020
Had similar experience with some of my own canned and shelf-stable. Which in my case has left some 2021 restock funds that can fill in the holes and gafs of my 2020 stores.
Regarding COVID, the UK had a crazy spike in cases, hospitalisations and deaths through December and January. At the peak we had 80k cases and almost 2k deaths daily, in a country of ~65 million. The lockdown has brought those figures down a lot; cases are down to 10k daily, and deaths a little under under 1k.
👍 Have watched with concern. Now relief as the numbers improve.
One interesting side-effect of almost a year of COVID restrictions is very low rates of other infections. Rates of infection with two enteric viruses, norovirus and rotavirus, are at historic lows (see link) while influenza has been pretty much wiped out.
Our statistics are mirroring yours.
Finally, my parents and in-laws, all in their 70s, have received the first doses of their COVID vaccinations. My wife and I are in our 50s so, if everything goes as the national plan suggests, we should get our first shots by the end of March
Happy to hear this.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:21 am

Thursday, Feb 18, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬇ Average daily case count. 18.14
- ↗ Cumulative case count. 8,533 (+23 since Tuesday)
- ⬆ Average positive rate. 4.1%
- ↘ Current active cases. 500
- ⬇ Current hospitalized. 6 (-4 since Tuesday)
- ↔ Total deceased 71
- ↘ 14 day incidence rate per 100,000. . . 211.16

We are about out of the extreme temps. No broken water pipes in the building I've heard about. Have raised the apartment heat to comfortable today.

The event could have gone worse for my area, and I was more prepared for the possibility because of tips offered by ZS members when I asked.

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 pm

I was able to go to a yoga class for the first time in over a year this week. Limit of 5 people spread across the huge room and the windows were open making it rather cold. It was worth it.

My climbing wall is planning to open next month.

The microbrewery 3 blocks from my place is open with limited spread out seating.

My county is threatening to sue the state cause they can't get any clear info on vaccine rollout. I don't know of anyone locally getting the vaccine. The county claims we're not receiving any.

Nobody seems to have any useful data on local pandemic stats.

Grocery stores are well stocked.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 pm

Kansas
my county

Public health leaders are loosening restrictions on the local health order in response to fewer COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the community.

(fingers crossed)

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 pm
Kansas
my county

Public health leaders are loosening restrictions on the local health order in response to fewer COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the community.

(fingers crossed)
Good to hear, I guess?

Over here there was a well-publicised government meeting this afternoon where, supposedly, the path out of our latest lockdown was bring discussed. It's strongly rumoured that UK schools will be returning to in-person leasons from 8th March.

There's likely to be an official announcement tomorrow, in keeping with the "2 weeks notice" promised to schools and students.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:33 am

sheddi wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 pm
Kansas
my county
(fingers crossed)
Good to hear, I guess?
I find the method concerning. I believe the open/close down is on paper as a guide, maybe CDC.

After two weeks of X numbers, X things happen.

My concern for my county is around Feb 1st our hospitalizations were slowly moving down, positive testing was at a low of 1.9%, and vaccines were were moving into the second tier.

I am aware this building had already had three deaths and five additional cases.

My concern is that everyone in my county, including myself, is in severe lockdown fatigue. (the country too, but that's not my sitrep area for this thread)

My concern is that extending hours and this much increasing numbers in indoor gatherings, restaurants bars & outdoor gatherings all at the same time is going to see the fatigue swing into I'm free, we're free too fast to restrain our collective good sense that my county has been holding so far.

I would prefer we extend the business hour as planned, but a more incremental increase in indoor and outdoor numbers, to get more vaccines in arms before variant B.1.1.7 gets a good foothold here.

Because on our 14 day rolling average statistics I'm tracking our positive testing is now on an upward trajectory even though my county hospitalizations are holding low. The last time the stats were released we were up to 4.7% positive. B.1.1.7 arrived at the same time we began moving up.

Then we had the weather delays is shipping vaccines.

So, I have concern here about opening too fast 'again', will us to close down 'again'.

I think a slower increase in gathering numbers would have been a better choice for my county.

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:20 am

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬇ Average daily case count. 12.86
- ↗ Cumulative case count. 8,581 (+24 since Thursday)
- ↘ Average positive rate. 3.6%
- ⬇ Current active cases. 391
- ↗Current hospitalized. 8 (+2 since Thursday)
- ↗ Total deceased 76 (+5 since Thursday)
- ⬇14 day incidence rate per 100,000. . . 149.64

report on:
- 35 deaths in the 85-plus age range
- 22 deaths in the 75 to 84 age range
- 13 deaths in the 65 to 74 age range
- 5 deaths in the 55 to 64 age range
- 1 death in the 45 to 54 age range.

Happily looking better than anticipated 👍
It was mentioned that the week of frigid stay at home weather system we just had might have had a small positive impact countering the relaxation of the restrictions.

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:52 am

Have now had my first vaccine dose.

One down, possible three to go.
- 2nd dose
- S.A. variant booster if/when
- in the late fall the yearly flu shot

I like to plan ahead.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 am

Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:52 am

- 2nd dose

I like to plan ahead.
That's great news!

Mrs Sheddi is (it seems) higher on the priority list than me, she's due to have her first dose later this week.

Other than that, thigs are continuing to improve in my corner of the UK (and, more generally, in the UK as a whole). The local case rate is ~60 per 100k population, down from ~90/100k at this time last week.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:15 pm

sheddi wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 am
Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:52 am

- 2nd dose

I like to plan ahead.
That's great news!

Mrs Sheddi is (it seems) higher on the priority list than me, she's due to have her first dose later this week.

Other than that, thigs are continuing to improve in my corner of the UK (and, more generally, in the UK as a whole). The local case rate is ~60 per 100k population, down from ~90/100k at this time last week.
So good to hear this news for your corner of UK, and the UK itself. You've sure had a rough time of it over there.

Really good news about Mrs Sheddi's vaccine.

Overall US numbers are now low, comparatively speaking, though we're currently experiencing another uptick. Being cautioned the variants are moving in as we rush to vaccinate ahead of them with the limited amounts we have available. Two of the three vaccines now shipping are showing limited if any at all protection against the S.African. And last I heard, possible to probable lessened protection against others. Which is why we're being strongly cautioned to stop relaxing restrictions so broadly so quickly. On the whole though, we don't have that good of a record for listening to pandemic advice.

But as of today my state and county are holding low. Especially my county.

Monday, March 1, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬇ Average daily case count. 10.64
- ↗ Cumulative case count. 8,644 (+63 since Wednesday)
- ⬇ Average positive rate. 2.9%
- ⬇ Current active cases. 319
- ↘ Current hospitalized. 7 (-1 since Wednesday)
- ↗ Total deceased 78 (+2 since Wednesday)
- ⬇ 14 day incidence rate per 100,000. . . 123.87
Last edited by Ever on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CG

Post by CG » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:54 am

Well, life's about to get interesting down here: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... 00-percent

I read that Houston ISD is planning to still require masks. Most business up here have the sign that says mask required, but nobody enforces it anyway.

I wonder if he's figuring more people will get vaccinated if they can't rely on other people wearing masks to keep themselves safe?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Ever

Post by Ever » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:42 am

Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ↘ Average daily case count. 10.43
- ⬇ New cases reported. 9 (since Monday)
- ↔ Average positive rate. 2.7%
- ↗ Current active cases. 324
- ↔ Current hospitalized. 7 (±0 since Monday)
- ↔ Total deceased 78 (±0 since Monday)
- ↘ 14 day incidence rate per 100,000. . . 121.37

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 pm

UK is doing a lot better, helped by vaccination. Cases are reducing at a good rate but this is probably being masked by false positives in the testing. When you have over half a million tests a day, the under 1% false positive rate is a few thousand.

Deaths are down and importantly the death rate in the older vaccinated groups is down in relation to the younger age groups. We might be out of this in a couple of months.

Ever

Post by Ever » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Thursday March 4, 2021
Kansas
My county

(14 day rolling average)
- ↘ Average daily case count. 10.14
- ⬆ New cases reported. +26 (since Tuesday)
- ↘ Average positive rate. 2.4%
- ↘ Current active cases. 299
- ↘ Current hospitalized. 6 (-1 since Tuesday)
- ↗ Total deceased 79 (+1 since Tuesday)
- ↘ 14 day incidence rate per 100,000. . . 118.05

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:10 pm

Mrs Sheddi had her first vaccine dose today, no side effects (yet) and a second scheduled for May. Yay for science!

The British schools have been out all calendar year but are due to start returning tomorrow. My son was called in to school today for a COVID lateral flow test (the quick, cheap but not-entirely-reliable one, rather than a slow, expensive and more-reliable RT-PCR test). It came back negative, which is good (and hardly a surprise).

We've got a box of home tests here so there's going to be an outbreak of nasal swabbing sometime at the weekend :shock:

Our local case rate is once again down sharply, now 46 per 100k. (For comparison the national case rate is 84.)

I guess over the next couple of weeks we'll see what effect return-to-class has on those numbers.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Return to “All Things Pandemic”