COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: COVID-19 Chat Thread

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Found on Imgur today:

(click to enlarge)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:47 pm

They have those, as well as a simplified version, splattered all over work.

Aside from one haircut in like April, the riskiest thing I've done is go grocery shopping. However, given my shopping habits (I tend to go in only if there's basically no-one else there), I think I'm still in the low-risk group.

Work is still being cagey about coming back in. Right now it's voluntary, so long as the building overall remains under 50% occupancy and some other stuff. I get the impression they'll want to do away with WFH, but I'm really hoping not; even with the annoyances from the utterly stupid VPN setup, it's a great benefit for me. It's not like my job frequently requires hands-on anymore. :p

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:42 pm
Found on Imgur today:

(click to enlarge)
I did two 7's & a 9 just today.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm
NT2C wrote:
Found on Imgur today:

(click to enlarge)
I wanna do a religious rock concert in a sports stadium and call it "999 - The Anti-Concert"

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

CG

Post by CG » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:36 am

I wonder when that graph was made.

I apparently live in 5 and 7 just by virtue of the fact that I'm still working and our area didn't really shut down like others.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 am

I spotted this on another forum. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I found this interesting.

My interpretation is that COVID tests were deliberately rigged to flag false positives as active infections. Would appreciate comments from those on here who really ARE doctors.
...In August of last year, The New York Times published an article stating that as many as 90% of COVID-19 tests in three states were not indicative of active illness. In other words, they were picking up viral debris incapable of causing infection or being transmitted because the cycle threshold (Ct) of the PCR testing amplified the sample too many times...
https://pjmedia.com/columns/stacey-lenn ... n-n1398857

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm
NT2C wrote:
Found on Imgur today:

(click to enlarge)
The problem I have with simple charts like this is that they lack depth.

For instance attending a full movie theater with every seat taken is a different risk profile from being in a theater @ 10% capacity and everyone sitting 6+ feet away. That applies to all of the items in the red zone of the chart.

A well ventilated area where people are not in close proximity to one other is a much lower risk profile than being in close proximity in a poorly ventilated area. What is the thing that items in the low risk have in common (except perhaps opening mail.)?...Decent ventilation and distance from people.

HarlequinHal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 am
I spotted this on another forum. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I found this interesting.

My interpretation is that COVID tests were deliberately rigged to flag false positives as active infections. Would appreciate comments from those on here who really ARE doctors.
...In August of last year, The New York Times published an article stating that as many as 90% of COVID-19 tests in three states were not indicative of active illness. In other words, they were picking up viral debris incapable of causing infection or being transmitted because the cycle threshold (Ct) of the PCR testing amplified the sample too many times...
https://pjmedia.com/columns/stacey-lenn ... n-n1398857
I am not sure there is an intention to deceive since this has been known publicly for a while but there is certainly a case to be made for negligence since the stats have not been adjusted and addressed for this known issue...and likely never will.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Doctor here. The last time I pointed out the dangerous unreliability of COVID tests, especially the rapid ones, especially early last year, I was suspended from posting on this forum for a week. With that said, to prove intent would be to prove something criminal had been done. NO ONE wants their tests to be inaccurate, or to suck. It's insanely dangerous. False positives or false negatives, either way. Bad Data acts like a 200-shot of nitrous oxide to a pandemic.

In other news, I have decided today that I will not be getting the covid vaccine until it is mandatory. The gym outside my office where they're administering and coordinating (remember, gotta get two doses about a month apart) has a very long line, and that line is filled with your typical VA patient: An elderly man with at least one chronic medical condition.

Both my sisters and many immediate family members have had covid and shrugged it off pretty easily. We know what precautions prevent the spread of the disease without a vaccine, and I have decided not to cut in line in front of anyone that needs the vaccine more than me, which is apparently a huge amount of people.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:46 pm

In other news, I have decided today that I will not be getting the covid vaccine until it is mandatory. The gym outside my office where they're administering and coordinating (remember, gotta get two doses about a month apart) has a very long line, and that line is filled with your typical VA patient: An elderly man with at least one chronic medical condition.

... (snip) I have decided not to cut in line in front of anyone that needs the vaccine more than me, which is apparently a huge amount of people.
That is an excellent reason to wait.

I likewise when presented with an opportunity politely declined for similar reasons.
Duco Ergo Sum

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am

Reports of pretty unpleasant reactions after the SECOND dose of the vaccine are skyrocketing. Fevers of greater than 102 degrees, malaise and fatigue bad enough that people are having to take a day or more off work just to deal with the symptoms of the vaccine. That's all I know for now.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:09 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am
Reports of pretty unpleasant reactions after the SECOND dose of the vaccine are skyrocketing. Fevers of greater than 102 degrees, malaise and fatigue bad enough that people are having to take a day or more off work just to deal with the symptoms of the vaccine. That's all I know for now.
Friend of mine was pretty well laid out for two days following the second dose (healthy doctor in her early 30s), but is back up and at it now.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:54 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Vaccines are new, developed using new technologies. Well, let's be honest, people are now weakened by constant stress. Whatever one may say, but unnecessary experiences affect the general state of the body. And as a result, complications arise after illnesses and after vaccination. In general, these are all interrelated things.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:31 am

I told my boss a month ago that when I get the vaccine, I'm taking the day afterwards off.

I don't mind if I feel like crap for a day. I just don't want to be at work if I do.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 pm

Confucius wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:09 am
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Friend of mine was pretty well laid out for two days following the second dose (healthy doctor in her early 30s), but is back up and at it now.
Day 2 of dose 2: My GF is a whiny-ass mess. Fever to 101, whole body aches, malaise, chills, shivering, and fatigue. She says she feels like she has a mild case of the flu. Additionally, being a forensic pathologist, she's hearing that vaccine reactions and even possible deaths are coming in now. There is a self-report national database for suspected vaccine injuries set up.

We both agree that those that are likely to have bad reactions to the vaccine are also more likely to have more severe reactions to covid itself.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 pm
Confucius wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:09 am
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Day 2 of dose 2: My GF is a whiny-ass mess. Fever to 101, whole body aches, malaise, chills, shivering, and fatigue. She says she feels like she has a mild case of the flu. Additionally, being a forensic pathologist, she's hearing that vaccine reactions and even possible deaths are coming in now. There is a self-report national database for suspected vaccine injuries set up.

We both agree that those that are likely to have bad reactions to the vaccine are also more likely to have more severe reactions to covid itself.

All vaccines have some level of negative effects. That said as back up to the above. I saw this article.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/health-ca ... e-was-dead

I am not saying the vaccine killed him and neither does the article. Still like anything the risk to reward balance should be considered.

On a different subject there is now proof of significant reporting irregularities in NY state stats....This is my surprised face. ---> :roll:
Then there is this:
New York Attorney General Letitia James released a report Thursday which found NY had “undercounted” the number of coronavirus-related deaths in nursing homes by as much as 50 percent.
Facility Deaths Reported to OAG 1,914
Total Deaths Publicized by DOH 1,229
Difference (685)
Over/Under Percentage -55.74%
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2 ... report.pdf
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:06 pm

I'mma just leave this here...

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Only makes sense. You ~do~ use the toilet seat liners, right? :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Only makes sense. You ~do~ use the toilet seat liners, right? :rofl:
Well, the way I understand it, they need to swab your brain to do it right. I can see where a large segment of the population might need this method then.

Current Weather in My AO

CG

Post by CG » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 am

Well, the way I understand it, they need to swab your brain to do it right. I can see where a large segment of the population might need this method then.
Particularly up around DC....
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 am

CG wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 am
NT2C wrote:

"Badum-Tish" :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:04 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 am
CG wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 am
NT2C wrote:

"Badum-Tush" :rofl:
FTFY :mrgreen:

Current Weather in My AO

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:08 am

Small clinical trial of PVP-I in symptomatic COVID-19 patients published yesterday:

Povidone Iodine Mouthwash, Gargle, and Nasal Spray to Reduce Nasopharyngeal Viral Load in Patients With COVID-19

Their findings seem to contradict those from these earlier studies:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
http://www.bioresearchcommunications.co ... ew/176/159

And some critical reviews of the study and methodology already: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... -symptoms/

But this latest study seems to have included patients further along in disease progression, so maybe some evidence that PVP-I mouthwash/nasal spray is more effective at early prevention rather than a later stage treatment? All 24, intervention and control, tested negative by day 3 of the trial and normal SARS-CoV-2 viral clearance is 14-17 days so they likely started this study on day 11-14 of the disease.

Regarding their finding that "Thyroid dysfunction occurred in 42% of the patients exposed to PI", it's noteworthy that this study used about 10X the dose of PVP-I used in the earlier studies - 100 ml of 1% PVP-I solution + a small quantity of 10% nasal cream four times a day. The earlier studies used 10 ml of 1% PVP-I three to six times daily.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 pm

From NPR: Why The Pandemic Is 10 Times Worse Than You Think - I dunno what to think about this article. However:
The model has not been published or peer-reviewed yet, but.....
I got that part.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:06 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 pm
From NPR: Why The Pandemic Is 10 Times Worse Than You Think - I dunno what to think about this article. However:
The model has not been published or peer-reviewed yet, but.....
I got that part.
I read the article with the above caveat in mind but taking the thesis presented "as is":

Key Point 1.
Everyone points to the infection rate. Getting COVID while not fun is not necessarily a disaster. The real problem is the mortality.

Key Point 2.
Infection conveys some level of immunity. There is argument over exactly what level but all agree there is some level of immunity.

Conclusion:
The article states that that the level of infections is likely much higher than reported. That said a higher infection level means that COVID has a proportionally lower mortality rate.

Thus while the number of death from undiagnosed COVID cases may be higher, the actual level of COVID in the population people is numerically much higher.
The sustained periods of high transmission in the U.S. also mean that by now, quite a large share of the U.S. population has been infected beyond what the tallies of reported cases would indicate. Nationwide, Shaman estimates that about 120 million people have now been infected, just over a third of the U.S. population.
In short the mortality from COVID as a percentage is likely much lower than the 1% to 5% range citied.

The COVID epidemic is NOT 10 times worse as the headlines states unless you consider getting COVID as a disaster. The disaster IMO is the death rate and taking this "study" at face value and applying the high percentage to the mortality rate COVID is in the probable range of influenza outbreaks.

Note I am not saying COVID is not real, that people do not die from it and/or that reasonable hygiene preps should not be taken. I am saying that there are 26.9 million cases reported to date and 460,000 deaths ~ 1.7ish% mortality call it 2 %. Based upon this study claiming the actual COVID infection rate is 26.9 million x 4 = 107 million +/- so the mortality rate is likely ~ .43% +/-.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+c ... e&ie=UTF-8
Shaman estimates that, on average over the past three months, the official tally has been counting only 1 in 4 infections. In other words, says Shaman, to get a rough sense of the actual number of new cases per day, you should multiply the daily reported number by four.
So taking this data at face value and even using the "official" numbers (which I do claim are flat out wrong in LA) COVID is not the mass killer of people many people feared in 2020.

My $.02.

That said I said in 2020 and will say again COVID is nowhere near as lethal as small pox, yellow fever, polio or even hepatitis.
Duco Ergo Sum

Return to “All Things Pandemic”