So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:43 pm

On an average year here we decorate the front of the house to some extent (like that year where our two fog machines fogged out a 1/4 mile circle around the house) and we hand out the usual candy/snack treats. This year though, that could have consequences for us. Both my wife and I have breathing issues, and I'm in my middle 60s. Do we dare hand out treats this year or do we post a sign saying, double treats next year?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Black Beard

Re: So, what the heck do we do about Halloween?

Post by Black Beard » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Please don't do it. Kids are usually unaffected but they still can carry it. Double treats next year sounds reasonable.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pm

I've seen "remote treat dispenser" projects online. But around here, businesses are doing "drive through" treak-or-treats. (Which is really "drive up", but whatever.)

If it were me I'd see if your area has a similar Halloween project, and if so decorate but put up a sign saying something like "Due to current conditions, we will not be giving treats this year. Please go to $otherplace for safe and sanitary Halloween treats."

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Same thing I do every year. Turn off the intercom and leave a SS bowl of candy outside the gate.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:46 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm
Same thing I do every year. Turn off the intercom and leave a SS bowl of candy outside the gate.
We don't have a gate... or even a moat. :ohdear:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:04 pm

So I was going to suggest a Zombie/Biohazard theme. Which is not quite on topic, but a few decorations and a polite or fun/scary sign might be perfect!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Same thing I do every halloween. Turn off every light and hide in the basement.

Seriously though, if you'd like to hand out candy, maybe consider something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGiPUv ... =emb_title
Last edited by Confucius on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:50 pm

You already had one close call, right? Why push your luck... put a 5 gallon plastic bucket of candy out and let them self-serve.
If there's anything left next day, just dump it in the trash and sanitize the bucket before you put it back in the garage. :awesome:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm

Confucius wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:30 pm
Same thing I do every halloween. Turn off every light and hide in the basement.

Seriously though, if you'd like to hand out candy, maybe consider something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGiPUv ... =emb_title
Hmmm. No basement and the distance is just down two brick steps to the walkway. :?

Now, if we'd moved in April like we'd planned I could have used my AR and a can cannon upper to deliver treats down to the fenceline... :crazy:

Might have to rig up something with PVC pipe out the kitchen window...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Might have to rig up something with PVC pipe out the kitchen window...
See, I think you could definitely do something clever like that, stay safe and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The truth is, trick or treat traffic is going to be way down this year, no matter what.

Another thing to consider is I've noticed in recent years trick or treaters using a candy receptacle that's a plastic skeleton arm with a fabric bag hanging down from a hole in the skeleton's hand. It's about two feet long and the little monsters hold it out at arms length and expect the household greeters to deposit the candy rather than them fishing around in a bowl.

You could do something like that in reverse: tape off some neutral territory on your porch or walkway, brush up on your best Vincent Price impersonation and extend (or lower from a rope and pulley) a container of candy while voicing instructions for the kids to come up one at a time and wait for the candy to come to them.

Kids are getting a f*cking raw deal out of this pandemic. If there's any way you and your wife can [safely] help them salvage some semblance of a normal Halloween, you'd be doing a good thing.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Maybe glue a clear bowl or the bottom of a clear plastic cup in a plastic skeleton hand, wear a skull mask, and stick the skeleton hand out through a cracked door? The palm would be up, then you could just turn it and dump the goodies into their bucket or whatever.

Bonus points--if you have enough hand cleaner--if you first retract the treat and visibly disinfect it. It'd reassure the parents, and you could just say something like "Careful, child, it's not your time...yet."

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Just eat the candy yourself.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:35 pm
Just eat the candy yourself.
I like how you think. :awesome:

Speaking of how people think, how are all you folks going to handle Halloween this year?

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 pm

"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:00 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 pm
https://www.orbitonline.com/product/yar ... aEQAvD_BwE

This works pretty well for me. :twisted:
Yeah, no. :lol:

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 am

My kids may or may not go out, if we hand out candy there will be masks and some social distancing measures in place. I love Halloween but you can't expect much in 2020.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am

The answer to the question is deeper than Halloween. The 'rona isn't going away anytime soon, so only you can decide how much or how long you will curtail your activities out of precaution. Covid may well be in general circulation for decades.

Personally I view risks to my life based on likelyhood, I'm way more likely to die from an accidental fall than covid, in my demographic. If I thought it was a significantly significant risk, I guess I'd walk around in a helmet all the time. Only you can evaluate the risk factors in your life and decide what you are willing to do and what you are willing to give up.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 pm
Speaking of how people think, how are all you folks going to handle Halloween this year?
Same way I always do: turn off the lights and act like I'm not home.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 am
The answer to the question is deeper than Halloween. The 'rona isn't going away anytime soon, so only you can decide how much or how long you will curtail your activities out of precaution. Covid may well be in general circulation for decades.

Personally I view risks to my life based on likelyhood, I'm way more likely to die from an accidental fall than covid, in my demographic. If I thought it was a significantly significant risk, I guess I'd walk around in a helmet all the time. Only you can evaluate the risk factors in your life and decide what you are willing to do and what you are willing to give up.
Great point:
BTW remember pre and post covid we have these risks that we face daily. We did not and will not shut down the world to avoid them.
AIDS/HIV.
Hepatitis A, B & C.
STDs too numerous to list.
Food poisoning by bacteria too numerous to list.
Other blood borne pathogens too numerous to list.
annual flu
Pneumonia
BTW exposure to the vast majority of these (assuming you are NOT stuck with an infected needle) are greatly mitigated by the simple act of washing your hands and not touching your face.

Never mind these conditions which can be exacerbated by the choices you make.
diabetes
High blood pressure
Other illnesses related to morbid obesity

The single most dangerous thing statically that we all do is get into the car drive someplace (like a fast food take out window) to get something.

As for Halloween I nominate this as the best answer thus far based upon the last sentence.
boskone wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Maybe glue a clear bowl or the bottom of a clear plastic cup in a plastic skeleton hand, wear a skull mask, and stick the skeleton hand out through a cracked door? The palm would be up, then you could just turn it and dump the goodies into their bucket or whatever.

Bonus points--if you have enough hand cleaner--if you first retract the treat and visibly disinfect it. It'd reassure the parents, and you could just say something like "Careful, child, it's not your time...yet."
Because folks, death comes to us all and you are better off dealing with that fact than being afraid of that fact.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:29 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am
boskone wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Because folks, death comes to us all and you are better off dealing with that fact than being afraid of that fact.
That's way more philosophical thought than I put into it. :lol:

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 pm

I have ignored Halloween for years, and just turn out the lights and avoid the kids. No reason to do anything different this year.
The level of mindless fear over the ‘rona though, is mind boggling.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Mannlicher wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 pm
I have ignored Halloween for years, and just turn out the lights and avoid the kids. No reason to do anything different this year.
The level of mindless fear over the ‘rona though, is mind boggling.
Considering the risk factors for my wife and me due to our ages and medical conditions, concern for proper distancing and protection isn't a "mindless fear".

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:00 pm
Mannlicher wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 pm
I have ignored Halloween for years, and just turn out the lights and avoid the kids. No reason to do anything different this year. The level of mindless fear over the ‘rona though, is mind boggling.
Considering the risk factors for my wife and me due to our ages and medical conditions, concern for proper distancing and protection isn't a "mindless fear".
No, it's not, and that is said for a number of illnesses.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm

I live in a neighborhood full of kids, I have 4 of my own as well. We plan to treat it like any other Halloween, with us going out trick or treating and then sitting in our driveway with the fire-pit roaring and handing out treats. Our church is having a trunk or treat, our local fire department is having a truck or treat and a haunted house. Masks are mandated at all the events, but that's not a problem. The only kid that doesn't really want to wear it is my oldest son who's going as Sloth from Goonies this year, but to bad if he want's candy it'll happen. :D :D :D

Return to “All Things COVID-19”