"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by CrossCut » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 am

Two dozen cases with 2 deaths in ours and the nearby neighboring county, combined. Still going to the grocery store only every other week, and added a second trip to town on the off weeks to hit the hardware and feed store. PPE / antiseptic stocks are holding up well, we're getting about 8 hours of use out of each N95 and have a little over a gallon of hand sanitizer left. We continue to decon (UV/ozone) all store bought products and the mail before it enters the house. Personal (personnel?) decontamination before and after each trip using 0.5 - 1% PVP-I mouthwash and nasal spray, purchased these small spray bottles recently for the nasal spray (diluted with distilled water) and we like them much better than the last type we were using. Given recent events I started carrying my little .38 snubby whenever I leave the house. No riots or even protests within 50 miles of us, last week a black bear did try to loot our bird feeder but I don't believe the act was politically or racially motivated.

The July 4th weekend and the influx of tourists it'll bring has me slightly concerned about both an uptick of cases and the possibility of it bringing out-of-town protesters to our little communities. We won't be taking any trips to town or frequenting any of the tourist traps for a few days on either side of the weekend, and think I'll set up the police scanner and recorder so I can listen the next day to any events that happened the night before.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 am

CG wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:43 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:54 pm
Odessa mayor was considering making wearing a mask mandatory and fine folks who don't 1,000 dollars per infraction, but I'm not sure if he's going to go through with it or not. My guess is probably not because he's facing a ton of backlash from pretty much everyone there.
I'm pretty certain the governor has made it where the cities can't actually enforce any sort of mask mandate or lockdown. I've seen several cities saying that they would mandate masks except the governor made it where they can't.
I think he's just blowing a bunch of hot air, to be honest.

On a few of the Odessa based Facebook pages I've seen, dude's getting ripped apart by comments. Let's just say the people of Odessa do not have the greatest faith in their mayor.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm

I live north of Kansas City, and frequent the Liberty - North Kansas City area a lot. Currently you see a pretty even mixture of people wearing masks, and people not. I don't really see anyone using hand sanitizer like crazy, but we still clean the any shopping carts we use, before using it, and hand sanitize once we're back in the car. The only place that makes you wear as mask upon entry that I frequent is Costco.
All of this for us is pretty normal, i.e. masks and all the sanitizing, because my wife has Lyme disease, so she has been wearing a VOG face mask pretty much ever public store we go to since she got it 4 years ago, and we've always wiped down all our carts.

My extended family had 7 people catch Covid-19, 6 in one family. My cousin's husband is a captain for a major airline and he caught it, brought it home and my cousin and her 4 daughters all got it as well. But all of them survived without much issue.
My other cousin was 5'10" 452lbs and damn near died from it. He was in a coma and on a ventilator for close to 2 weeks, and it took 6 weeks total before he was able to leave the hospital and breath on his own. the doctors said lose weight or you'll die next time you catch something bad.

All of them are fine as of now though...

I do wonder if the 4th will cause a surge of cases in this area but only time will tell...

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:41 pm

The day to day stats here are useless but the 2 numbers I am using that appear to be marginally trend line accurate are hospitalized cases which is trending flat with a slight uptick and Ventilator usage which is on a steady decline.

Unfortunately Blaine Kern died yesterday at age 93. He is/was Mr Mardi Gras. He designed and built most of the Mardi Gras parade floats. BTW he did not die of COVID.https://www.facebook.com/16831330657589 ... 9/?app=fbl

Since the start of this garbage in March 2020 I have lost 3 close friends ...none from COVID...unless you include the suicide from the economic fallout and the friend whose heart stint procedure was delayed by L'etat because they did not want to use the medical PPE to perform the "unnecessary" surgery.

I still do not know anyone who has contracted COVID.

On a separate note, the local dweeb who runs the circus is talking about the uptick in cases, but has stated that there is categorically no proof whatsoever that the local violence/protests have anything to with the uptick. This is technically correct in that the stats they keep make any such analysis meaningless.

BTW although the EU remains closed to air travel except for limited "special" flights when it does re-open in July (maybe July 1, maybe not) most US citizens will be barred.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/06/26/most-u-s-t ... c-reopens/
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Masks are now mandatory in my region for everyone in an indoor public place, and outdoors when you're likely to pass within 6 ft of someone you don't live with. You can be fined for failing to comply, but a lot of LEO agencies have publicly stated they refuse to enforce it.

I hear the number of cases have increased significantly, but I don't make any effort to follow the numbers. I have noticed the number of deaths has also drastically declined.

Inventories in grocery stores are mostly back to normal. There are still some short term gaps in inventory hear and there that are just enough to be a little annoying. Sporting goods stores are empty.

The microbrewery two blocks from my place is open again.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am

I'm asking our TX ZS'ers for a boots-on-the-ground SITREP please. I'm getting lots of contradiction from my channels.

Thank you.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am
I'm asking our TX ZS'ers for a boots-on-the-ground SITREP please. I'm getting lots of contradiction from my channels.

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 pm

CG wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Where ever people are. I'm just looking for 1st hand reports.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 pm
CG wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Andrews County, where I live, has only had one confirmed death so far. Total cases of COVID-19 are around 56 with the majority already being recovered from the virus. There's a couple cases pending, but those folks are self-isolating and taking precautions.

You'll see folks wearing masks, but it's mainly the most at risk folks and the very young kids wearing them. No stores are requiring masks to enter and my county is highly unlikely to require folks to wear masks while in public. The city council and mayor's office are following the state guidelines pretty closely and are advising county residents to use common sense in regards to going out in public and gathering anywhere.

There's no lines at the stores, inventory is back to almost normal levels, and stores have been allowing more than 10 people in at a time. I think max capacity for stores is still around 50 or so people at a time, which many stores barely have maybe 15 people in at any one time. Everyone usually just goes to Odessa or Seminole for stuff since both towns have Walmarts (Odessa has two Super Centers while Seminole only has one small one).

Restaurants had to reduce capacity back down to 50 percent, but if Texas can continue to reduce cases (which are typically in big cities like Houston, Austin and Dallas), everything should be back to normal or pretty close within the next month. Bars are once again shut down, but a few have found a loophole and are selling food in order to stay open and serve alcohol. The county seems to have no problem with that so far.

Anything else you want to know, MP ?

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:22 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
CG wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Out in Midland, most people aren't wearing masks. Haven't really heard much about how they're going to hand cutting back capacity again. The protest that was scheduled for Odessa this afternoon was postponed due to coronavirus - apparently they were planning to bus in 5 busloads of people from Dallas and decided it was a bad idea.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm

The protest that was scheduled for Odessa this afternoon was postponed due to coronavirus - apparently they were planning to bus in 5 busloads of people from Dallas and decided it was a bad idea.
I wonder if the professional protestors are getting hazardous duty pay on account of the virus?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Chimp/CG: No, I'm good. TX is in my channels a lot. What was coming across was rather contradictory. Masks are required, now there not. Bars are open, now there not. Schools open, no...there closed.

The same channel would contradict it's self in the very next story it aired.

Thank you for the SITREP.

In Iowa news; the state gov't is going back & forth on whether or not kids will be masked in school this fall.

meh

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
CG wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Shackleford/Jones/Taylor area (basically west of Dallas/Fort Worth, south of the panhandle), there's less than a thousand confirmed cases, a handful deceased. I don't remember the details. At the funeral roughly 2/3 were wearing masks. I visited a couple RV dealers to look things over, probably the same proportion (ignoring those wearing masks for other reasons, like the guys in the shop with full respirators). I didn't stop anywhere else in the area.

I stopped a couple places along state highway 6 (Hico and...er...some little town outside of Waco I don't remember the name of), and probably 50/50 masks there. The little town had a city ordnance that anyone inside had to wear masks, but at the gas station it was not being enforced.

College Station/Navasota, probably 50% of people are wearing masks. Businesses can run open, to some levels I don't remember (25% lobby capacity? Something like that). Masks are not required normally but fairly common, every "public service" person in the area is wearing one but I don't know if that's required. Grocery stores are well-stocked, the Academy is at maybe half-stock levels. They're actually decently stocked for firearms, but very little ammo and what they have is odd calibers; fishing gear is nearly gone, as is camping gear. Not sure about general sporting goods. Grimes county has like 250 cases and 1 fatality (an elderly male), not counting the prison population (which is not included in reporting).

Of note, in all cases people are actively maintaining social distancing; however, COVID-compliant social distancing isn't that much wider than is the norm around here, so it's really only most notable in stores. Similarly, hand cleaner of various sorts is still common; most people I know prefer to just wash their hands, but if you have errands to run or whatever alcohol-based wipes or sanitizer is just more practical. Also, may places had disposable masks and single wipe packets at the entrances, and the RV places had signs indicating they couldn't guarantee the state of the RVs (which, I think, is fair).

State-wide, RV dealers are selling out of inventory.

Of note, I have a raging sore throat. For some reason going from moist and humid College Station to dry and dusty Abilene seems to do that to me. :roll:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
CG wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Thank you.
Which part of Texas?
Shackleford/Jones/Taylor area (basically west of Dallas/Fort Worth, south of the panhandle), there's less than a thousand confirmed cases, a handful deceased. I don't remember the details. At the funeral roughly 2/3 were wearing masks. I visited a couple RV dealers to look things over, probably the same proportion (ignoring those wearing masks for other reasons, like the guys in the shop with full respirators). I didn't stop anywhere else in the area.

I stopped a couple places along state highway 6 (Hico and...er...some little town outside of Waco I don't remember the name of), and probably 50/50 masks there. The little town had a city ordnance that anyone inside had to wear masks, but at the gas station it was not being enforced.

College Station/Navasota, probably 50% of people are wearing masks. Businesses can run open, to some levels I don't remember (25% lobby capacity? Something like that). Masks are not required normally but fairly common, every "public service" person in the area is wearing one but I don't know if that's required. Grocery stores are well-stocked, the Academy is at maybe half-stock levels. They're actually decently stocked for firearms, but very little ammo and what they have is odd calibers; fishing gear is nearly gone, as is camping gear. Not sure about general sporting goods. Grimes county has like 250 cases and 1 fatality (an elderly male), not counting the prison population (which is not included in reporting).

Of note, in all cases people are actively maintaining social distancing; however, COVID-compliant social distancing isn't that much wider than is the norm around here, so it's really only most notable in stores. Similarly, hand cleaner of various sorts is still common; most people I know prefer to just wash their hands, but if you have errands to run or whatever alcohol-based wipes or sanitizer is just more practical. Also, may places had disposable masks and single wipe packets at the entrances, and the RV places had signs indicating they couldn't guarantee the state of the RVs (which, I think, is fair).

Of note, I have a raging sore throat. For some reason going from moist and humid College Station to dry and dusty Abilene seems to do that to me. :roll:
Thanks bos.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:26 pm
Chimp/CG: No, I'm good. TX is in my channels a lot. What was coming across was rather contradictory. Masks are required, now there not. Bars are open, now there not. Schools open, no...there closed.

The same channel would contradict it's self in the very next story it aired.

Thank you for the SITREP.

In Iowa news; the state gov't is going back & forth on whether or not kids will be masked in school this fall.

meh
Bars were open, now closed. Schools, at least out in this area, have not reopened. We're actually doing virtual public school this next year in anticipation of it being a mess.

This is what the governor sent out yesterday morning.
"AUSTIN – Governor Greg Abbott today issued an executive order limiting certain businesses and services as part of the state’s effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. This decision comes as the number of people testing positive for COVID-19 and the number of hospitalizations have increased and the positivity rate in Texas increased above 10%, which the Governor previously stated would lead to further preventative action. The targeted, measured directives in the executive order are based on links between certain types of businesses and services and the recent rise in positive cases throughout the state.
The order includes the following:
• All bars and similar establishments that receive more than 51% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages are required to close at 12:00 PM today. These businesses may remain open for delivery and take-out, including for alcoholic beverages, as authorized by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
• Restaurants may remain open for dine-in service, but at a capacity not to exceed 50% of total listed indoor occupancy, beginning Monday, June 29, 2020.
• Rafting and tubing businesses must close.
• Outdoor gatherings of 100 or more people must be approved by local governments, with certain exceptions.
“As I said from the start, if the positivity rate rose above 10%, the State of Texas would take further action to mitigate the spread of COVID-19,” said Governor Abbott. “At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is largely driven by certain types of activities, including Texans congregating in bars. The actions in this executive order are essential to our mission to swiftly contain this virus and protect public health. We want this to be as limited in duration as possible. However, we can only slow the spread if everyone in Texas does their part. Every Texan has a responsibility to themselves and their loved ones to wear a mask, wash their hands, stay six feet apart from others in public, and stay home if they can. I know that our collective action can lead to a reduction in the spread of COVID-19 because we have done it before, and we will do it again.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm

boskone wrote:

Actually, that was all good info for me too. I'm going to Abilene late July for a wedding on Aug 1.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 pm

They aren't making any.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 pm
They aren't making any.
They're also selling record numbers. The Grand Design dealer (a higher-end brand) sold 50-something last month, their previous record was 30-something. The Jayco/Forest River (mid-range-ish brands) dealer sold 115 last month, their previous record was 80.

Lack of new production is a definite issue as well, and both dealers mentioned it. But RVs are also just selling like mad this year.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:22 pm

In other Texas news:

San Angelo State Park was open. It's now closed for 2 weeks because they had a case of coronavirus (no word as to whether it was a visitor or an employee).

Mustang Island State Park is only going to be open from Friday through Sunday.

I'm at the point now where I'm booking another park near any state park reservations we have, because I expect the state parks to shut down and reopen randomly.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm
boskone wrote:
Actually, that was all good info for me too. I'm going to Abilene late July for a wedding on Aug 1.
Too bad the wedding's not a month later; I'd be in the area for opening weekend of dove season. :D

If you're not used to chiggers and will be in a wild-ish area, read up on 'em. They're not dangerous, but they're annoying and very thick this year.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm
The protest that was scheduled for Odessa this afternoon was postponed due to coronavirus - apparently they were planning to bus in 5 busloads of people from Dallas and decided it was a bad idea.
I wonder if the professional protestors are getting hazardous duty pay on account of the virus?
You mean, the locals that are supplemented with out-of-town professionals, don't you? :twisted:
Tony D

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Today I visited two little "niche" stores; a German deli and a bakery/coffee shop. Clientele tends toward the 50 - 70+ age bracket. Most customers were not wearing any face covering and exhibited little concern for the "six foot distance" marks on the floors of either store. Employees were wearing surgical procedure masks, at both locations. Compliance is mandatory, but not enforced. :words:

Grocery stores are well-stocked, as far as I can tell. Time to start building preps for the next wave.
Tony D

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:52 pm

This past weekend I was able to go to South Mississippi and stopped in a couple of big box stores on the way.

There was very little mask usage in any of the stores in South MS. The Walmart and Home Depot were very busy but still well stocked. Nothing unusual.
I even went to an open restaurant and while the staff wore masks none of the patron did.

I did stop at Sportsman's warehouse and shocked by the empty shelves. Other than .40S&W there was no pistol caliber ammo on the shelf. Nor was there any .223/5.56, 7.62x39 and only very expensive premium hunting ammo in the typical calibers. The pistols were maybe at 40% of typical stocking levels and the only long arms were bolt action rifles. In short they had been picked clean. Normally this place has a deep inventory of ammo.

That fact tells you about the level of concern by the local population regarding the ongoing violent rioters/peaceful protesters.

In NOLA there is a fair amount of mask usage including a few wearing a mask outside. However wearing a mask in NOLA summer heat and humidity is an ordeal.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:52 pm
This past weekend I was able to go to South Mississippi and stopped in a couple of big box stores on the way.

There was very little mask usage in any of the stores in South MS. The Walmart and Home Depot were very busy but still well stocked. Nothing unusual.
I even went to an open restaurant and while the staff wore masks none of the patron did.

I did stop at Sportsman's warehouse and shocked by the empty shelves. Other than .40S&W there was no pistol caliber ammo on the shelf. Nor was there any .223/5.56, 7.62x39 and only very expensive premium hunting ammo in the typical calibers. The pistols were maybe at 40% of typical stocking levels and the only long arms were bolt action rifles. In short they had been picked clean. Normally this place has a deep inventory of ammo.

That fact tells you about the level of concern by the local population regarding the ongoing violent rioters/peaceful protesters.

In NOLA there is a fair amount of mask usage including a few wearing a mask outside. However wearing a mask in NOLA summer heat and humidity is an ordeal.
Sportsman's Warehouse is a most magical place of Beauty, Style, and Grace. :ooh: :awesome:

Return to “All Things COVID-19”