Covid -19 Weirdness

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Covid -19 Weirdness

Post by raptor2 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am
Great points....Stress due to reading headlines? Controllable.
(serene & tranquil emoji)
Yes just relax and watch the sunset...what could go wrong with that?

BTW one way I cope with stress is humor... You can either laugh or cry about some things...I prefer laughter to tears. That said sometimes tears also helps with stress. The worst thing for stress is alcohol and recreational drugs.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm

My wife just notified me that she will be working from home till mid July. Booze is starting to look good. And I don't drink.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm
My wife just notified me that she will be working from home till mid July. Booze is starting to look good. And I don't drink.
Dear liver,

Buckle up, we're going for a ride!

Brain
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm

my wife is now working from home from now on as well. So I end up with a lot more honey-do work than I'd like...

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Maybe y'all need to invest in yard offices? But or build a little shed, fit it out, then go hide in the garage while your wives think you're in your office?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:22 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am
Great points....Stress due to reading headlines? Controllable.
(serene & tranquil emoji)
Yes just relax and watch the sunset...what could go wrong with that?

BTW one way I cope with stress is humor... You can either laugh or cry about some things...I prefer laughter to tears. That said sometimes tears also helps with stress. The worst thing for stress is alcohol and recreational drugs.
:rofl: :clap:

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm

brckmrphy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:35 am
Everyone is getting different symptoms. I was also infected with this stupid virus. But the symptoms I got were mild and I am lucky that I am not dead already. The symptoms I got were, smell and taste senses were dead and had a little bit dry cough
Congrats on surviving the 'rona! :clap:
Are you through then, or still in treatment? I got questions, for an actual survivor:
-Did you do temperature checks - any fever?
-Has your sense of smell/taste returned?
-What kind of Rx treatment (if any) were you prescribed?
-Are you donating (is it plasma?) antibodies for therapeutic purposes now?
-Any unusual cravings? Brains, perhaps? :awesome:
Tony D Tiger

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:10 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
😁 😂 😄
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Ever wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:10 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
😁 😂 😄
I wondered if that slipped by... :clownshoes:

So, now another survivor question: Newsies recently reported a survivor that was re-infected; has anyone else experienced this?
Tony D Tiger

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 pm

This article came onto my radar and has so many bits of weirdness: https://www.mlive.com/coronavirus/2020/ ... pilot.html
The state is putting $10 million dollars into a new COVID-19 testing plan. Only this testing method doesn’t involve spit or a Q-tip up the nose. Instead of waiting in long lines, all people have to do is...poop.

“Since nearly 70 percent of Michigan residents rely on public wastewater systems, this COVID-19 surveillance program has the potential to provide critical, life-saving data on COVID-19 transmission within a large portion of Michigan’s population,” said department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy Director Liesl Clark.
Sivy and her team have been testing seven wastewater plants around the Great Lakes Bay Region, but now they are likely going to add the Saginaw Correctional Facility, and more sites in the Thumb and Arenac County, she said.

They’ve also been testing SVSU’s wastewater for the last few weeks to make sure there isn’t a spike in cases as students return to school. At the University of Arizona, similar testing allowed the university to figure out not only which dorm coronavirus cases were coming from, but the two students that were positive.

“It’s a good way to do kind of a community testing, without individual testing but yet being able to, hopefully, isolate where it’s coming from to better gear your testing on individual humans,” Sivy said.
“The ability to predict outbreaks on college campuses, at nursing homes, prisons, and other congregate care facilities could be game-changer in our mission to slow the spread of this virus," said Clark.

The plan is for EGLE to coordinate sample collection, lab analysis, data reporting, and communication with local monitoring teams across Michigan.
On the one hand, science is cool. Less painful than swabs, plus increased knowledge about what areas are active with virus. On the other hand, whole can o worms with implications and precedent and inability to consent to testing or provide info.

I guess my takeaway is if you poop and your poop goes into a wastewater facility, and in your area's wastewater plant the virus is noticed, then regardless of if whether anyone infected is isolated or not (I doubt there's a way to tell this from everyone's gathered poop all combined), your whole area might be targeted for enforced isolation if that's the way officials want to go with it. The article also doesn't mention time periods, like whether wastewater is tested daily with fresh material, how tests and results are related to real-time. But how creepy would it be hearing something like "We've detected traces of virus in the wastewater in your county, but we can't tell you any details or who is contagious or whether they're isolated."

I'm assuming it's impractical to ask universities and nursing homes to get their individual waste water tested separate from the rest of the area that the wastewater plant services. This might narrow things down to a general area, but there's so many not-answered, unmentioned questions.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:37 pm

manacheck wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 pm

I guess my takeaway is if you poop and your poop goes into a wastewater facility, and in your area's wastewater plant the virus is noticed, then regardless of if whether anyone infected is isolated or not (I doubt there's a way to tell this from everyone's gathered poop all combined), your whole area might be targeted for enforced isolation if that's the way officials want to go with it.
Great point.

IMO it is a good census tool if used wisely.

However as you point out it is pretty indiscriminate and could easily be used as an excuse to isolate a large geographic regions.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Return to “All Things COVID-19”