Fortitude Ranch

A place for prepping related news stories, video channel links, podcasts, and other media not covered elsewhere in the forums

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Fortitude Ranch

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

Article in the Washington Post about a survivalist camp in WV:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/at ... story.html

Interesting article. The comments at the bottom remind us one again that there's nothing worse than an ignorant pedant. People are judging the guy's years-long efforts and plans based on the 10 seconds of thinking and no research that they have done on the subject. That being said, amidst all the dross and BS, there are some valid criticisms. Given his stated position of turning away at the gates a mother with a starving child in a disaster scenario, what are the odds he's going to let his members in (or 'survival timeshare owners' as one commenter called them)?

I'm imagining myself showing up with a car almost out of gas and shouting out at the guard post 'Hey - it's me! I'm all paid up on my $1,000 dues this year - lemme in so I can start eating your food.' Answer - a warning shot.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Stercutus

Re: Fortitude Ranch

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

Actually I had the same idea about five or six years ago. There were two problems though. One I didn't actually want to do it and two Raptor thought it was a terrible idea. I think the first one probably weighed most heavily.

I am going to go ahead and take a guess and say that those shelters are not certified for any kind of human occupation.

Oh boy. Instead of a brief Bio this article written by the unquestioned leader who will be required to make life and death decisions for everyone is required reading. Politics, ranting and oaths of fealty to block chain currencies are all mainstays of the article.

https://fortituderanch.com/wp-content/u ... p-govt.pdf
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am
...and two Raptor thought it was a terrible idea.
That advice was for this group. I actually contacted them for information and the price to value ratio seem out of proportion.
I have not heard of this featured development. (I do not remember your plan...sorry)

http://terravivos.com/

...and no I do not think a disaster time share as described above makes sense for me. I would not be comfortable relying on this group in a disaster.
It may work for someone else but the simple fact it is featured in an article like this would really bother me a lot if I had "invested' in it.

My $.02 ...YMMV.
Stercutus wrote:
I think the first one probably weighed most heavily.
Good!
Based upon your history here I know you are more than knowledgeable on relevant subjects.
This a site to share knowledge and opinions but in the end everyone has to make their own decisions.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Actually I had the same idea about five or six years ago. There were two problems though. One I didn't actually want to do it and two Raptor thought it was a terrible idea. I think the first one probably weighed most heavily.

I am going to go ahead and take a guess and say that those shelters are not certified for any kind of human occupation.

Oh boy. Instead of a brief Bio this article written by the unquestioned leader who will be required to make life and death decisions for everyone is required reading. Politics, ranting and oaths of fealty to block chain currencies are all mainstays of the article.

https://fortituderanch.com/wp-content/u ... p-govt.pdf
Wow. It looks like copy-pasta that he didn't even bother to put all in one font at the end. I wonder how much of it is plagiarized? Also, I can't figure out whether I'm supposed to know or not know that he got Rohan from the Riders of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings? Is it an open reference, or does he think we're too dumb to notice that he cribbed his freedom loving, horse riding nation from Tolkein?

I love the idea of a group of people preparing together (a large group has much better odds than individuals), but I don't think you can manufacture/buy the network of human relationships and trust that are necessary for such a community to persist in the absence of the present frameworks of laws and rules and order.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 pm

I love the idea of a group of people preparing together (a large group has much better odds than individuals), but I don't think you can manufacture/buy the network of human relationships and trust that are necessary for such a community to persist in the absence of the present frameworks of laws and rules and order.
You can engrave all of that in stone.

It looks like their leadership model is something along the lines of a Ricktatorship.

I also wonder about their SEC letter and their odd adherence to crypto currency given they are preparing for grid down situations. If 1/3 of their sold crypto coins were "stolen" then they are about as compromised as it comes. The criminal could come back, buy out their place from underneath them and then move a gang of gypsies and hoodlums in. Maybe they already have?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 am

I always wonder how to keep spys and raiders out of large communities. Someone could infiltrate PRE PAW and be known to the people. But have ulterior motives. Such as their own group a few miles away who plan to double their resources with a small timeshare investment in your BOL. Or something along those lines.

And then what about POST PAW? People leave or die, and you would need to keep your population level at optimum as far as workers, skills, trades and security. So you consider letting random nomads who knock on your door into your community. Can you ever trust them?

And then what about trade between groups. How can you trust that the group over the next hill that has corn, will trade fairly for your kale, or set you up for a raid?

Yeah TWD does it but, they always make the wrong decision, and so IRL if something bad happens to the resources of one trade group, will the other groups 'have' to help to stop that group from turning rogue, or will they immediately turn rogue and try to take over a more successful group.

And what about rule of law? There's going to be criminals in any group, so there has to be a plan for judgement and punishment. A constitution maybe, that every member must swear and oath to.

Anyhow, remember 'lights out' ? In the beginning they had a plan for a sustainable group, but then people kept bringing in their relatives, which kind of stretches some resources, and some relationships, and patience.

As far as Fortitude Ranch, I think going public was a bad idea and I'm with Raptor that if I had invested and then that story came out I'd be livid. But maybe there is a marketing paragraph in the contract. So they would have known in advance.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Somehow or other, wagon trains and Western towns in early America made it all work. I suspect everything would work out once leadership was settled and sensible people were in place.

I don't think "raiding" is popular in situations where the opponent has a respectable amount of firepower and a willingness to use it. "It is appointed to men to die once..." Real life death tends to temper the raiding spirit in most people. I think people have to be in a position of "die if I do, die if I don't" before that raiding spirit stirs and becomes attractive.

Just some opinions.

And to be clear: just because some guy declares himself "leader" does not mean he/she will wear that title for long after any "event."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:28 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 am
As far as Fortitude Ranch, I think going public was a bad idea and I'm with Raptor that if I had invested and then that story came out I'd be livid. But maybe there is a marketing paragraph in the contract. So they would have known in advance.
Any time I seen "communities" like this being discussed I think back to several Home/Condo Owners Association meetings I have attended. I envision this type of mentality being used to run such a community in a SHTF situation... at least initially.

BTW here is their web site.

https://fortituderanch.com/

https://fortituderanch.com/about-the-ra ... r-designs/

Return to “Prepping News”