Australia becoming a NAS

A place for prepping related news stories, video channel links, podcasts, and other media not covered elsewhere in the forums

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Australia becoming a NAS

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Nuclear Armed State-(NAS): Does Australia need a nuclear arsenal? And what would be the cost?
Nestled in the native bushland of Jervis Bay on the New South Wales south coast are the concrete footings of a nuclear power station that was never built.

The construction, which began during John Gorton's brief prime ministership in the late 1960s, was to be Australia's first foray into nuclear energy generation.

The reactor would have been able to generate plutonium which, under the auspices of the Australian Atomic Energy Commission, could be used to manufacture nuclear weapons.

But the project did not survive an abrupt change of leadership and Australia ended up riding out the remainder of the Cold War as a non-nuclear player.
I read ABC every day & I don't see Aussies leaning this way myself.

Stercutus

Re: Australia becoming a NAS

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

This is chest high politics but I imagine five eyes are wondering what will happen if the China goes gangbusters in the Pacific. Maybe looking for some reassurance?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 pm

It is highly unlikely Australia will go nuclear, even more unlikely we'll make nuclear weapons. We've already had the british drop both atomic and hydrogen bombs on us. with regards to pacific, we're sort of in a bad place. China is our biggest economic ally, America is our biggest military ally.

mind you, there is so much restricted area in the middle of australia (woomera Rocket range) who knows, and we've got the uranium already, just waiting in the ground
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Nuclear devices without a delivery vehicle are basically worthless.

Australia lacks missile delivery systems and with the retirement of the F 111 ( a marginal strategic delivery system at best) it's only aircraft delivery system is likewise gone.

The 18 and F35 may have the capability to deliver nukes but not over strategic ranges even on 1 way missions with aerial refueling.

I guess they could buy ALCMs and retrofit nukes, but I don'r the US would sell them and while the PRC would happily sell them they would likely have kill switchesbuilt into them.

The subs they are having built could be retrofitted with the IAI Popeye nuke missile assuming Israel would admit the capability.

So no power projection systems means having a nuke would be a very expensive ego project or a massively expensive project if nuke and projection systems are desired.

Now nuclear power plants would make sense due to the aforementioned nuclear ores there. But they do not have a large population or production base to really need this expense of constructing a nuke power plant. They also have a lot of coal, so much that they export it.

My $.02 just opinion not claiming it as fact.

Return to “Prepping News”