Vargo BOT

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NGshooter17

Vargo BOT

Post by NGshooter17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Has anyone seen this or picked up one yet? I think it would be a perfect to put in one of my water bottle pockets and free up some space inside my bag (removing the existing pot)...Plus you can also carry water inside it as well. It is rather pricey though @ $99.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-BOT-Bottle-Pot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”

TacAir

Re: Vargo BOT

Post by TacAir » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Ah

GSI 18 oz stainless steel cooking cup - 9 bucks. Fits on existing Nalgene water bottle, taking a tiny bit more space.

With the 90 USD 'saving' I can buy a lot of other - needed - items.

Neato? Sure enough. One liter cook-pot and Ti to boot.

Worth the 100 USD to me? No, not even close. But then, folks love to buy Mercedes autos....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm quite fond of my $40 Snowpeak 700 titanium mug... it nests a nalgene perfectly inside it for storage, I don't see what this Vargo bottle/pot would give me over my current setup... If I were to want hot liquids on the go I'd just supplement with a thermos as the Vargo bottle/pot doesnt appear to be insulated anyways.

So for $20 you could get a GSI stainless steel cup w/ nalgene like TacAir or you could go the 'benz route for $50 with a titanium cup w/ nalgene like I have and you're still spending half of what they want and imho getting more functionality... I personally think a $100 could get you a lot more than what's being offered with the Vargo bottle/pot.
The more you know, the less you need.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

NGshooter17

Post by NGshooter17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I do think $100 is really steep so i appreciate the input.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm

GI Canteen cover, GI Canteen cup (Stainless), GI type Nalgene,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PLWE2E/?ta ... B002PLWE2E

And one of these nifty covers:http://www.heavycoverinc.com/usgi.html

Is what I carry every day.

All together was about 30 bucks. And I have an extra canteen in another cover as well.

I prefer the small mouth canteen as it's easier to dring from and less bulky
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Believe it or not I had an idea for something very similar to this a while a go. And the WHAMO! vargo beats me too it!
Dang them and their funding for new projects and their acess to bunches of titanium.

After a while though I realized that I dont need something like this anyway.
On the 15th( payday) I'm picking up a stainless wide mouth 40oz kleen kanteen.
You can use it as its intended use( water bottle). You can also boil water in it.
This actually consolidates several pieces of gear into one.
It takes a water bottle and cook pot and water purifier into one.
If you are going the route of the dehydrated meals then you will be eating out of the bag and the stainless bottle will never get dirty.
These things are tough enough that you can put them directly into a camp fire. This eliminates the need for a camp stove.

Consolidating these three items into one not only simplifies your pack but also lightens your load.

::Make sure you remove the lid before placing it in the fire::
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

NGshooter17

Post by NGshooter17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Ducky wrote:::Make sure you remove the lid before placing it in the fire::

Kaboom?! :gonk:

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 am

I like the screw top lid. But $100 is very steap.

I usually carry a 32oz nalgene and an aluminum space saver cup around it. I like the idea of having 2 cups plus being able to boil contaminated water without having to use the same cup as my clean water is already in.
I think I picked up the nalgene on sale for $7 at REI and the cup was about $10 at amazonwith free prime shipping.

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:49 am

kaligaran wrote: I like the idea of having 2 cups plus being able to boil contaminated water without having to use the same cup as my clean water is already in.
In the Army you carry 2 canteen cups for this reason, one to drink out of and one to wash your nuts out of... try not to mix them up, mmk? :wink:
The more you know, the less you need.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm

The Omega Man wrote:
kaligaran wrote: I like the idea of having 2 cups plus being able to boil contaminated water without having to use the same cup as my clean water is already in.
In the Army you carry 2 canteen cups for this reason, one to drink out of and one to wash your nuts out of... try not to mix them up, mmk? :wink:
Note made. :)

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 pm

I have one and it is not what I would call a "must need" peice of kit as others have already stated. Mine rides in a very compact "get me home" shoulder bag.

Pros:
Yep, it's cool.
Weighs 5.05 ounces on my digital scale.
The lid could be used to make a small bannock since it is approximately 1.75 inches deep.

Cons:

If you did make said bannock you would be digging it out since the threads and undercut in the lid would make a mechanical hold.
You need a pot holder or multi tool to use it making it difficult to manipulate on the small base of my alcohol stove.
Price.
Where to put your stove/pot holder/fuel bottle/scrubbie/spices/etc. once you fill the thing with water.
I get worried about losing the o-ring every time I remove it for use. (not strictly required but I fear damaging it with my pot lifter in use)

In summary: Nice, but my money would have been better spent elsewhere. I am a gear whore though :)

Take care,
Dave
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

Return to “Bug Out Gear”