A QUIET replacement for a roarer burner

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: A QUIET replacement for a roarer burner

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Great info thanks so much. I will order the DAWG-A-NOVA for my Optimus Hiker + next paycheck. Nice also to hear Gary has such good customer service.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:00 am

Interesting. I have an XKG in storage. Still works fine. But when I was flush with cash I bought a whisper light international if only to have quiet when I was brewing up a mug of tea.

I burn gas in my WL for where I am there is no fancy white gas. I thus have to clean the stove often given the dirtier fuel; how is this quieting cap going to deal with dirtier fuel? Is it easy to clean?

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:52 am

I use mine a lot with kerosene. While the caps are sealed, the spaces inside aren't particularly tight. (At least compared to a layer of soot) This might be a question for Gary. I've never had an issue personally.

I'll send him an email.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:26 am

So Gary got right back to me... But I've been quite a slacker as far as passing his reply on to you. I thought about paraphrasing it but I've since decided to just paste his reply here:
So… mostly there’s unlikely ever going to be much in the way of a cap getting dirty if you preheat with alcohol and use clean Coleman or kerosene. And, when using “dirty fuels”, if you run it at full throttle every now and again, the caps generally self-clean - any soot or unburned fuel will simply burn off at the high temps of full throttle.

Mostly the few issues with caps getting dirty have come from folks who didn’t read the instructions and were trying to preheat with gasoline or kerosene. While you *can* preheat with Coleman fuel without any issues because it’s so clean-burning, using gasoline or kerosene is likely going to cause a lot of sooting. And, really, you get a lot of sooting when using a flame plate and preheating that way, too.

Here’s a link to those instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/lvv3syn

If you have a cap that needs cleaning, I use an old toothbrush and some Coleman fuel. Any clogging of the holes can be cleared with a chunk of wire - any size that fits in the holes loosely is fine. The caps are pretty tough as they are mostly stainless, the rest bronze, so you don’t really have to worry about enlarging the holes with just a piece of wire. I blow the Coleman out with compressed air, but you could just dip it for a rinse and let it air-dry. Bear in mind, as I’ve said about the self-cleaning and using clean fuels to preheat, I’ve only actually cleaned a cap maybe… I don’t know… three times. (?)

And, hey! I noticed folks are mentioning $100 prices for caps in the earlier part of the thread. You can order BernieDawg 3D printed caps for as little as $21.73. No cap is more than $46. Those are the actual costs to make a cap. I only make a nickel on each one of the F-Series and $5 each on the G-Series. And, they are the lowest prices anywhere in the aftermarket silent cap industry - nobody sells them cheaper. Just sayin’.

The links to the cap stores, i.materialise, and Shapeways, are in my sig below should anyone at Zombie Squad want to order one.

Thanks again and happy camping!

Best,
Gary (aka BernieDawg)
Gary Adams
bluewater_stove@comcast.net
http://www.bluewaterstove.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/h2ojnky
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/BernieDawgShop
http://i.materialise.com/shop/designer/gary-adams
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Alcohol stoves are quiet, simmer well, have no moving parts, and no petrochemical spills or stanks to deal with. I pretty much only use my Trangias, a Bluet Camping gaz stove, or a propane stove these days. I have an antique XGK that sits on a shelf, It's great for making steam for steam bending, or for cooking on a wok, otherwise, back of the shelf...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”