A QUIET replacement for a roarer burner

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:26 am

Ran across this addition for gas/kero stoves while looking for part for my antique Coleman 530 B46.

Called a Quitecap, it replaces the burner plate with a much quieter plate.

Pretty cool tech - and now, if you use your gas stove, it will not sound like a rocket in heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPgjmDCePJQ&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video is for a DragonFly - but the cap are made for MSR-XGK and some Optimus stoves.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: A QUIET replacement for a roarer burner

Post by crypto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:35 am

Whoa, thats amazing.

Im a big fan.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

williaty

Post by williaty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:49 am

That is pretty damned amazing. My dad used an old stove imported from Europe that he got while mountaineering that roared like that only with a louder jet hiss under it. Made sure I never slept in while camping when he started cooking :lol:

My concern is whatever drawback must be caused by that design of spreader. If it were quieter with no drawback, one of the OEMs would be building stoves that way.

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:03 am

williaty wrote:That is pretty damned amazing. My dad used an old stove imported from Europe that he got while mountaineering that roared like that only with a louder jet hiss under it. Made sure I never slept in while camping when he started cooking :lol:

My concern is whatever drawback must be caused by that design of spreader. If it were quieter with no drawback, one of the OEMs would be building stoves that way.
The drawback may just be the cost of construction. I see these are regularly priced at $150 with an introductory price of $120. The review video shows quite a few burner holes in the side of the piece, which means the high cost is due to a large number of machining operations. The stove manufacturers have to consider that, even if this style of burner improves their products, will consumers be willing to pay an extra $75-$100 for a stove.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 am

The stove was quiet? It sounded like the sound track was dubbed in with a whole bunch of yelling and knocking about indoor noises in the background. Not that the stove wasn't quiet, that is just what it sounded like to me.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Blacksmith wrote:The stove was quiet? It sounded like the sound track was dubbed in with a whole bunch of yelling and knocking about indoor noises in the background. Not that the stove wasn't quiet, that is just what it sounded like to me.
Like with many things on the net, once I discovered the device, I found it had more than one name- this specific device happenes to be available commercially. There is approximately a metric crapton (Imperial measure = shitpotload) of other blogs,m posts and Utoob vids on this and like devices.
I posted this particular link as it seemed to have a bit higher production value/clear images - absent a sound meter, that background sounds seemed louder that the stove was kinda neat.

Most of the posts I found were about how much these devices reduce the noise from "roarer burners" - few seemed worried about the cost... The " I have a prettier toy" syndrome?

If you have a Coleman single burner (or dual burner for that matter) stove, you will see on disassembly for maintenance that the burners are made from a stack of waffled steel rings. Pretty cheap to knock out.

The Quiet Cap is machined as a single piece, and so might explain the 100+ USD cost.

If the situation is such that noise is an issue, I have an alky burner (several in fact, I'm turning into a 'Stovie') for cooking and enjoying the quiet.

For those that have a need for a high output BTU stove and the need for quietoperation- this may be a solution. Clearly a niche product, it is one of those cases of 'if you don't know it exists...

I was fascinated as some folks have made these for M-1950 and older Coleman (520/520) military stoves.

Thanks for reading the post and commenting.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:50 pm

I have and love my Optimus stove, but when I don't feel like listening to the roar, I use one of my alcohol stoves...they're actually quiet, not just less noisy.

Jamie

Sent from my iPad by the power of bacon.
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:14 pm

When my Dragonfly broke I replaced it with a MSR SimmerLite; if you look at the burner design on it, it looks similar to this device and is also much quieter than the dragonfly, and I think at the time, cheaper than the dragonfly. What it gave up was the multi-fuel capability of the dragonfly.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Mall Ninja wrote:When my Dragonfly broke I replaced it with a MSR SimmerLite; if you look at the burner design on it, it looks similar to this device and is also much quieter than the dragonfly, and I think at the time, cheaper than the dragonfly. What it gave up was the multi-fuel capability of the dragonfly.
Thanks - just looked at those. They are discontinued, replaced with the Whisper-lite. I also see that MSR WhisperLite International Backpacking Stove is ready for white gas, unleaded, kero and I assume low-sulfur diesel/JP-8. At 100 USD, likely cheaper than a retrofit.

Now if only someone wanted to buy my very old X-GK.....
New and old XGK - the new one is better in nearly every way. Both sound like a 707 on takeoff....

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:24 pm

The last gas stove I bought was a whisperlite Int'l. The multifuel part is great, the very low noise level is really great.

Not being able to simmer it really sucks.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 pm

crypto wrote:The last gas stove I bought was a whisperlite Int'l. The multifuel part is great, the very low noise level is really great.

Not being able to simmer it really sucks.
It seems the Simmerlite was engineered to do just that.

Folks just getting into camping/hiking/climbing nowadays have a vast number of really good liquid fuel stoves to choose from.
Back in the day it was pick from Trangia, not a good choice for high altitude or cold work, a Svea 123 - good at altitude but not great in very cold weather - and the then new-kid-on-the-block - MSR X-GK - the stove that killed the Svea 123 market.

Love my old-school X-GK even if it makes a 707 blush for both noise and heat output. I just picked up a used Svea 123 because I realized that a simpler white-gas stove would be hard to find and it can run off of unleaded gas in a pinch.

If I was just starting out, I'm sure I would be carrying one of the newer MSR stoves. Oh - and a Trangia for in the summer....

I'll close this out by saying - a new MSR series - like the Whisperlite at 99 USD is cheaper than a retrofit.

Just thought "slientcaps" was a cool bit of kit. Thanks to everyone who commented.

/.

QuietStove

Post by QuietStove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm

[*][*]
TacAir wrote:Called a Quitecap, it replaces the burner plate with a much quieter plate.

Pretty cool tech - and now, if you use your gas stove, it will not sound like a rocket in heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPgjmDCePJQ&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video is for a DragonFly - but the cap are made for MSR-XGK and some Optimus stoves.
Hi TacAir,

The name is QuietStove and it reduces the noise level in half (it lowers the sound pressure level by 10db). It also outputs more heat compared to the flame spreader plate and improves simmering capabilities.

The QuietStove is available for the following stoves:
  • MSR DragonFly
  • MSR XGK EX
  • Primus OmniFuel
  • Primus OmniLite Ti
And support for the Svea 123 and 123R is in the works.

Thanks,

Craig

QuietStove

Post by QuietStove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Blacksmith wrote:The stove was quiet? It sounded like the sound track was dubbed in with a whole bunch of yelling and knocking about indoor noises in the background. Not that the stove wasn't quiet, that is just what it sounded like to me.
Hi Blacksmith,

We cannot speak for that customer video but here are two videos we shot of Model 207 which fits the Primus OmniFuel. There was absolutely nothing dubbed or otherwise edited - what you view in these videos is raw camera output (aside from the YouTube annotations).

Without the QuietStove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUPCRWM_UE

With the QuietStove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWN9vZEv8E

Thanks,

Craig
Last edited by QuietStove on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

QuietStove

Post by QuietStove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm

TacAir wrote:I posted this particular link as it seemed to have a bit higher production value/clear images - absent a sound meter, that background sounds seemed louder that the stove was kinda neat.
Hi TacAir,

There are some photos posted in our forum with a sound meter measuring the QuiteStove Model 311 running with White Gas, Kerosene, and Canister Gas and also the same for the stock flame plate.

http://www.quietstove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=445

Also, Keep in mind that the QuietStove can improve fuel efficiency as it acts as a manifold for the fuel giving a better air/fuel mixture rather then spraying fuel haphazardly into the air.

Thanks,

Craig

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Very nice. An old stove comrade of mine, who goes by the name Berniedawg on CCS is the maker of some very fine silent caps. He made a model called the 'dragon tamer' that does this very thing. It has three little tabs underneath to keep it mounted inside the burner bell. These are not really a new idea per-se. I know Gary based his on a very old Primus offering that was long out of production. I have one of the little mini ones that works fine on a svea 123 or optimus 8r. I do have the model for the nova, but it gets backed up and blows itself out. It's simply a problem with the very low clearance on the nova burner. I ended up using it on my optimus 96. The omnidawg cap is significantly taller and thus has many more ports so as to not back up.

First quality stuff...

http://www.bluewaterstove.com/Bluewater ... _Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He sells mostly on ebay these days. And infrequently due to the fact that he's retired livin' the dream.
Last edited by 111t on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 pm

QuietStove wrote:[*][*]
TacAir wrote:Called a Quitecap, it replaces the burner plate with a much quieter plate.

Hi TacAir,

The name is QuietStove and it reduces the noise level in half (it lowers the sound pressure level by 10db). It also outputs more heat compared to the flame spreader plate and improves simmering capabilities.

The QuietStove is available for the following stoves:
  • MSR DragonFly
  • MSR XGK EX
  • Primus OmniFuel
  • Primus OmniLite Ti
And support for the Svea 123 and 123R is in the works.

Thanks,

Craig
Thanks Craig - but it seems you are not alone in this
I see QuietStove, Silent Cap and I note that you were able to make your own burner plate (http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... tid/10645/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) something I need to do your my Coleman 503.

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm

williaty wrote:That is pretty damned amazing. My dad used an old stove imported from Europe that he got while mountaineering that roared like that only with a louder jet hiss under it. Made sure I never slept in while camping when he started cooking :lol:

The burner with a silent cap is more susceptible to wind. On my svea123r or my 8r the overall output (and therefore boil times) seems very comparable.(in a controlled wind free environment) These things are complicated bits of machine work and therefore expensive. They could probably be made more cheaply if they were mass produced, but the standard flame spreader plate is far cheaper. Some of the older household stoves came with both a roarer and silent burner assembly to be used indoors or out.

In concept these caps are the same as a silencer on a gun or a muffler on a car.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Like a lot of us I've had some fun with loud stoves. One time the standard flame spreader came off and got lost so
we used a teaspoon bent just right to act as a replacement on a MSR XGK. The flame was not very symmetrical but
we could cook and the roar was just as annoying. The teaspoon glowed a nice cherry red.

Was wondering if a 'quiet cap' could be made from a copper pipe end cap much more cheaply? Just drill holes in the thing
and your in business ?

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am

mark9atq wrote:Like a lot of us I've had some fun with loud stoves. One time the standard flame spreader came off and got lost so
we used a teaspoon bent just right to act as a replacement on a MSR XGK. The flame was not very symmetrical but
we could cook and the roar was just as annoying. The teaspoon glowed a nice cherry red.

Was wondering if a 'quiet cap' could be made from a copper pipe end cap much more cheaply? Just drill holes in the thing
and your in business ?

yup
(http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tid/10645/) as I noted earlier.

111t

Post by 111t » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:14 am

There's an inner structure to these. The fuel jet goes up a channel to the top of the cap and then is forced down between an inner wall and the outer wall with the ports. Without the inner wall it becomes a vortexy mess.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... /post/new/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:04 pm

So I was looking for silent caps for my new Optimus Hiker + and during my internet searching came across a vendor a bit cheaper than the QuietStove as well as this thread, so thought I would share my find for folks. So giving this thread a little necro.

Since opsec is something to consider with stoves, reducing a stove's noise level makes a lot of sense.

The vendor I found offers caps for a lot of different stove designs. Or more accurately he has made his designs available from metal 3D printers at super low cost, he claims he makes only $0.05 per cap. There are two different urls links to places selling his cap designs. Definitely check both, one the cap for my stove was $45.51 and the other it was $34.05.

http://www.bluewaterstove.com/Bluewater ... _Page.html

He has a youtube channel also where you can check the noise reduction of the different caps. https://www.youtube.com/user/h2ojnky/videos
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Gary's caps are well designed.

Here's mine...

http://youtu.be/qwNMseVI-ao
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:31 pm

111t wrote:Gary's caps are well designed.

Here's mine...

http://youtu.be/qwNMseVI-ao
Nice to hear some feedback from someone who has used them. Thanks.

How was the install on it? Seems pretty straight forward.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:14 pm

It's easy. I had a little hiccup with mine when I discovered that my heat fins weren't perfectly symmetrical. I got it running with the regular plate and got it nice and hot. Then I shut the stove off got some work gloves and managed to get it to fit on. Then I ran it a few times and it must have re shaped the fins slightly. Now it pops on and off easily. I contacted Gary about it to see if he had ever seen that before. He hadn't but he offered to refund me which was not necessary. My fins still aren't perfect but there's a generous tolerance built into the cap.

I also own an omnidawg and an f series mini cap. I even own two of Gary's hand made caps. The larger of the two hand made caps was intended for the nova but it didn't work properly for me. At full power the stove would overpower the cap and extinguish the flame. There is no such issue with the dawg-a-nova.

I think these are definitely a worthwhile addition to whichever stove you choose. Gary has put a lot of thought into things like the internal baffle dimensions and the hole diameters for the gas jets.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”