The 27-Pound, 7-Day Gear Checklist

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SpeedBug

The 27-Pound, 7-Day Gear Checklist

Post by SpeedBug » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 am

Here is the article I used to base my pack on...

http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The 27-Pound, 7-Day Gear Checklist

Post by derf26 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am

Cheers for the link.

It's a good starting point, but this really is a backpacking setup, and not a disaster preparedness one. Take a look at the first aid kit, for example. 6 ounces is at best a boo-boo kit (or a very small trauma kit). Think about it, it's the shtf. You don't know beforehand why the shtf, so consider for example, that the pharmacies aren't getting resupplied, and that no first aiders are going to respond to your cries for help. What then? Do you have enough antibiotics to deal with an infection? Do you have enough gauze, pressure bandages, hemostatic agent, or even a tourniquet to stop bleeding? And if you do, do you have enough gauze to change dressings once or twice a day?

My basic philosophy is to take the lightweight (but as much as possible still durable) gear from the ultralight world, get rid of unnecessary stuff, save ounces where you can, and come in with a backpacking kit at under 20 lbs. Then build on top of that by adding a bigger first aid kit, thick leather gloves, a stove you can use after the fuel runs out (or open fires), food gathering and fishing gear, extra clothing, comms devices, etc.

Backpackers, especially UL ones, drop weight, amongst other things, by preparing for very specific circumstances. As a prepper you don't have that luxury. You should be prepared for any weather, any heat or cold, broken glass, bullets flying past or at you, and other panicky people who want to take your stuff. I mean, I don't think that setup even has a proper knife in it (multitools don't count for bushcrafting imo).
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am

SpeedBug wrote:Here is the article I used to base my pack on...

http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Used to" ... Okay? So what does it look like now?

I think that's a decent template to start thinking about backpacking equipment, but I'd love to see what the whole thing prices out at... The clothes, shelter, and sleeping system are probably a small fortune alone based on some of those brand names.

With regards to water and food, on average he's got 1L of water. I can't imagine how often you'd have to stop and filter water at that rate. Not to mention, I think it would be really hard for most people to eat only a tiny breakfast, conservately snack during the day, and then eat a decent dinner at night. Let allow having to do that for 7 days straight while being physically active.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but I doubt I would enjoy it personally. However, I do see the benefits of keeping it light, just not that light.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:00 pm

MY TYPICAL 7-DAY FIRST / LAST-AID KIT
___ sewing needle & thread For what? Stitching an artery closed?
___ two 4 x 4 sterile dressing pads OK
___ two 12-ply 3 x 4 sterile gauze pads OK
___ two 3 x 4 sterile non-adherent pads OK
___ one sterile, cotton-tip applicator Don't get the point of this item.
___ one swabstick saturated with compound
benzoin tincture, u.s.p. Don't get the point of this item.
___ two benzalkonium, antiseptic towelettes OK
___ two isopropyl alcohol swab--clean wipes OK
___ two triple-antibiotic ointment packets OK
___ one knuckle band-aid Don't get the point of this item.
___ two extra-large band-aids Don't get the point of this item.
___ one telfa "ouchless" adhesive pad Don't get the point of this item.
___ five butterfly wound closures OK
___ eight medium bandaids OK
___ eight Tylenol 3 Pain Killers OK
___ eight extra-strength acetaminophen OK
___ 14 ibuprofen Not nearly enough of this.
___ two imodium a-d anti-diarrheal caplets 2 won't be enough, given the water supply.
___ one pepcid ac acid controller tablet YMMV
___ 20 antacid tabs OK
___ two antihistamine packets for hay fever, allergies Need more.
___ six fisherman's friends throat lozenges Don't get the point of this item.
___ one small tube of foot antifungul ointment OK
___ one 3.5" x 4" moleskin OK
___ one roll of adhesive cloth tape OK
___ one roll of sterile gauze wrap OK
___ two electrolyte packets for fluid replacement OK
_______
Total Weight in Ounces: 6.0
OK, got the minor boo-boo's covered... But what about the life-threatening injuries?

This kit will take great care of most injuries that, for the most part, you could leave untreated for 7 days.

In the Infantry, most of this was treated with a roll of electrical tape, if treated at all.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 pm

This is the difference between an ultra-light mentality and a preparedness mentality.

It's not a bad start on shelter, clothing and food...

but severely lacks on first aid, survival, water and defense.

The ultra-light guides all recommend that you "run out of water just before you get to the next water source"... I consider this insane even on a grid-up backpacking trip because it leaves no room for screw ups.

Backpackers never carry decent trauma gear... and I hate how they all carry like 2 of every medication... wtf... you can carry a whole pharmacy for a few ounces.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
I used mine for field repairs on the pack and clothing. Heck even used a needle & thread to help make a fishing pole in the woods. Just faster than digging out the sewing kit on the bottom of the back. The FAK is always easily assessable. Learned that after my hatchet found it's way into my hand, literally. :oops: Not fun bleeding all over everything looking for the FAK so never made that mistake again. Also used the gauze and triple anti bacterial combined with a spark to start my woodstove as the cottonballs/PJ was MIA. FAKs aren't just for First Aid.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm

GunsUp wrote:The ultra-light guides all recommend that you "run out of water just before you get to the next water source"... I consider this insane even on a grid-up backpacking trip because it leaves no room for screw ups.
Agreed, that's not a good idea.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
I used mine for field repairs on the pack and clothing. Heck even used a needle & thread to help make a fishing pole in the woods. Just faster than digging out the sewing kit on the bottom of the back. The FAK is always easily assessable. Learned that after my hatchet found it's way into my hand, literally. :oops: Not fun bleeding all over everything looking for the FAK so never made that mistake again. Also used the gauze and triple anti bacterial combined with a spark to start my woodstove as the cottonballs/PJ was MIA. FAKs aren't just for First Aid.
Yeah, anything buried on the bottom of your ruck will be hard to get to... :clap: Love these new smileys, guys! I like to keep the small bits in my pack flap, or somewhere else easy to get to. Trauma shkits should be external, easily detachable, and so easy your dog can do it, in the dark, by feel.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:47 am

Woods Walker wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
I used mine for field repairs on the pack and clothing.
Like Kutter said, an even faster method is 100 MPH Tape. :awesome: (I love these new smilies too!)
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 am

These are very nice to have with upper respiratory problems to avoid taking a drug that could make you woozy, tired or irritable. They actually work, albeit briefly.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't think some people realize just how fast you can burn through water. A day load for me here, year round, is a minimum 202oz. That's mandatory. In the winter. In the summer, we have to add the 3L Camelback and more canteens and bottles, averaging about 300oz/day. Now, strip the flak, go to an environment where it's not 100 in the shade in the summer, and you might be able to cut that down to 150oz/day. That's still a lot of water.

But yeah, UL backpacker's load=/=any sort of BOB.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Doc, I'm with you on the water thing. Been through 6 liters a day on a 65 degree day, in the fall, dry and windy as heck. Would hate to see what I'd need in the 90 degree heat. :ohdear:

After the mountains of NC the bag lost 6 lbs that cost me 400 plus dollars.
Lost another 5 lbs that cost 700 bucks. Stuff that does weighs squat sure costs a lot.
My lightweight cold weather bag of goodies is UL, but cost about 1600 or so.

I've dragged around a 45 lb bag before. I admit to being broke, young and dumb.
We'll have no more of that. :mrgreen:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Speedbug, nothing wrong with that kit. I have a similar kit and it's nice.
The WM bags costs a king ransom but after a couple of 10 degree nights they are worth the money.

If you want some indestructable thread get some of the super high quaility fishing line. I us some spider wire that was bought years ago, they make even stronger stuff now. You can stitch up a back pack, pants or even boots with that stuff. It's the only stuff I ever used that would work on a wetsuit. It even fixed a shoulder strap on another guys pack and held up for a 3 day trip.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm

One thing a lot of people need to realize is that UL through hiking is a different sport than through hiking or day hiking or hunting or even bushcraft (I have picked up the term "woodsbuming" recently).

The OP has presented a very good list for those interested in UL through hiking.

Now, tangently, this list is rife with ideas on what to look for, concept-wise, if one needed/wanted to lighten things up a bit. I know, for a fact, I want the best, smallest packing, warmest sleeping arrangement for summer. My current rig is set up good for winter, and my lightest rig is good for fall, but I'm stil looking for something that says summer. I am no ultra lighter... I am an aforementioned woodsbum actually ... but I am looking at my UL and hammock bretheren for ideas and concepts.

I 'aint dumping my puukko, axe, or billy can. :vmad:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
These are very nice to have with upper respiratory problems to avoid taking a drug that could make you woozy, tired or irritable. They actually work, albeit briefly.
This. I have a fractured larynx and I carry a 120 rd bag of cough drops. Coughs can cause/lead to fluid in the lungs.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I carry lozenges in my boo boo kit just for that - some times you just get a scratch or tickle in your throat and a lozenge is exactly waht is needed to sooth that. Why sit there and go, "eack, hack hack, ehehe" all day long when you can just pop a throat lozenge and be done with it. Good ones work.

ETA: Sometimes my throat gets a little scratchy when it is wet and cold out and I pay closer attention to the fire for the weekend. Lozenge and some tea soothes that right out... but only the lozenge when I'm walking our out and about. Good item to have.
President ZSC011

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:29 pm

TYPICAL 7-DAY FIRST / LAST-AID KIT
___ sewing needle & thread Mostly for gear repair. Few injuries that cannot be temporarily held together with Steri strips.
___ two 4 x 4 sterile dressing pads OK
___ two 12-ply 3 x 4 sterile gauze pads OK
___ two 3 x 4 sterile non-adherent pads OK
___ one sterile, cotton-tip applicator For careful application of Neosporin
___ one swabstick saturated with compound benzoin tincture, u.s.p. For when you really need your adhesive dressing or steri-strips to stay put..
___ two benzalkonium, antiseptic towelettes Not enough. They are very thin and light, take several
___ two isopropyl alcohol swab--clean wipes Not enough. They are very thin and light, take several
___ two triple-antibiotic ointment packets Just take a multi-use tube.
___ one knuckle band-aid Ever try to get a regular bandaid to stay on a knuckle?.
___ two extra-large band-aids Larger areas of injury. Perhaps blisters or larger abrasion
___ one telfa "ouchless" adhesive pad I take it you've never used regular gauze pads on a deep abrasion or open wound.
___ five butterfly wound closures Get Steri-strips. You can cut them to length and you can get many of them in a very thin/light package.
___ eight medium bandaids OK
___ Small bottle of Excedrin (contains Aspirin, Tylenol & Caffeine, do not use at the same time as aspirin or Tylenol.
___ eight extra-strength acetaminophen Do not use at the same time as Excedrin
___ 14 ibuprofen 84 would give you maximum round the clock dosing for 7 days. Better to alternate with Tylenol
___ Small bottle of non-enteric coated 325 mg Apirin (Do not use at the same time as Excedrin)
___ two imodium a-d anti-diarrheal caplets Get a small bottle instead..
___ one pepcid ac acid controller tablet Get a small bottle instead and Prevacid is more effective in my experience.
___ 20 antacid tabs for the added calcium?
___ two antihistamine packets for hay fever, allergies Get a small bottle instead..
___ six fisherman's friends throat lozenges Can help keep your mouth and throat from becoming painfully dry between water resupplies
___ one small tube of foot antifungul ointment OK
___ one 3.5" x 4" moleskin OK
___ one roll of adhesive cloth tape Make it 1 inch Gorilla tape and I agree
___ one roll of sterile gauze wrap OK
___ two electrolyte packets for fluid replacement OK
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:56 pm

:lol: It's pretty clear that we all have different takes on what's needed in a boo-boo kit :lol:

I'm sure a lot of this is because different bodies behave differently, and we each have different tolerances. I know band-aides don't stay on my sweaty, oft-abused hands without help, so I have a few rolls of micropore tape to help with that.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Boo boo kit to me is what makes me comfortable. Some OTCs, bandages and knuckle bandages, dental floss and lip balm, lotion... crap like that. The real FAK is in my pack and can do this: Keep me from bleeding out for x amount of time and imobilize limbs.
President ZSC011

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:One thing a lot of people need to realize is that UL through hiking is a different sport than through hiking or day hiking or hunting or even bushcraft (I have picked up the term "woodsbuming" recently).

The OP has presented a very good list for those interested in UL through hiking.

Now, tangently, this list is rife with ideas on what to look for, concept-wise, if one needed/wanted to lighten things up a bit. I know, for a fact, I want the best, smallest packing, warmest sleeping arrangement for summer. My current rig is set up good for winter, and my lightest rig is good for fall, but I'm stil looking for something that says summer. I am no ultra lighter... I am an aforementioned woodsbum actually ... but I am looking at my UL and hammock bretheren for ideas and concepts.

I 'aint dumping my puukko, axe, or billy can. :vmad:
I agree, UL has some great gear, and the sport pushes the science for the rest of us, but the OP posted a bug-out kit, which is why everyone is all "UL=/=bug out, you're gonna die." I love my recon bag, I love my bladders and platy bags, and I especially love the idea of carving ym own chopsticks, a trick I learned from a UL hiker to same the time and weight of tryinbg to get an UL eating kit. Similarly, however, I will not be ditching my plan for at least 6L of carried water and a machete/hatchet as the terrain and climate dictate.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:33 pm

I get what you're saying but I'm not seeing where the OP said this was what their BOB was based off? Maybe the OP should say what their bag is for. I'm coming from the perspective that most people show hiking bags here in the BOB section.
President ZSC011

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 am

Ah. I usually assume that bags in the BO gear section are BOBs, otherwise it seems like more of an other Gear or OT thing. Not that I have any say, or really care. I thought the original thread title had to do with BOBs though, but then again I could be out of my mind.

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:05 am

Inspirational, thanks for sharing the link. I love lightweight packs! Agree with deficiencies noted.

He's basically carrying 1 L of water. Would probably not want to start with less than 2-4 L, personally.

No soap or hygiene items besides toilet paper and pack towel.

First aid kit not complete, etc.

Cost. This is a $1000+ system.

At any rate this guy genuinely sustains himself on these items for 7 days at a time at under 30lbs and in that sense I think it's a great tool.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:30 pm

greenbeetle wrote:This is a $1000+ system. At any rate this guy genuinely sustains himself on these items for 7 days at a time at under 30lbs and in that sense I think it's a great tool.
Agreed! It works for him, for the purpose he made it for, so :awesome: YMMV...

Return to “Bug Out Gear”