The weight of your BUG Out Bag, INCH Bag, et al...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SpeedBug

Post by SpeedBug » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:35 pm

I've be looking over the various threads where people have detailed out their BOB's and such and I am at times astonished by the shear volume, size and weight of some of those bags...

One in particular the owners proudly proclaimed it weighed in at a back numbing 96 pounds! :shock:

So my question for the masses, is how much does your bag weigh and if its, say over 30 to 40 pounds why?

What exactly is in it to make it weigh so much and how did you justify such a load out?

My ready to go bag is about 25 pounds. Add in the weight of my rifle and my chosen handgun and it goes to about 35 pounds total weight I'll be packing.

I think people should load up their bags to whatever size,shape and weight they think they want it at. Then instead of putting it on in your living room and walking around the house for a few minutes,proudly declaring it roadworthy... you should strike out on a hike with it... even its its just a mile hike around some property close by.

If you really want an eye opening experience, load up your full bug out load out then hit the woods for a weekend or longer...

Just like all the noobs in Iraq, who showed up with a load out the size of the US Calvary catalog, within a few days their stuff was parked way down to just what they absolutely needed.

I think all of us can leaner from that.

Im not making fun of anyone, nor do I think my set up is best for you. I am simply asking everyone to please do a full test run of there gear. It could mean the different between you making it to your bug out location and not.

:D

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Re: The weight of your BUG Out Bag, INCH Bag, et al...

Post by Keith B » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Judging by your avatar, you are pretty skinny, almost stick figure thin, so I can understand why you only have a 25 pound go bag. But go bags arent BOBs or INCH bags, and a PAW scenario isnt like Afghanistan when the big green machine will resupply you.

That, my good man, is why they are so heavy.

My BOB, with weapons and ammo, food and water, is about seventy pounds. I dont think we have had the pleasure of meeting across these Inter webs yet, so I encourage you to think very carefully before you start throwing accusations about people not using their gear. Some do, some dont, either way you are going to upset some people with a thinly veiled self righteous attitude.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:30 pm

SpeedBug wrote: My ready to go bag is about 25 pounds. Add in the weight of my rifle and my chosen handgun and it goes to about 35 pounds total weight I'll be packing.
Please list what you have in your bag. I'd like to see how a properly equipped bag with water, food, a rifle, a pistol, and ammunition weigh in under 35 lbs.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Thank you! I meant to ask and got distracted.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Making a 3-day bag under 25 lbs is easy. An INCH under 70 could be a challenge. OP didn't say what he was using his bag for did he?

More weight means burn more calories and water, means carry more calories and water, means more weight. Maybe some of us can hump 70 lbs all day long. Healthy. What if you roll an ankle? What if it's 110 degrees outside? I get his point.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:43 am

My BOB, with weapons and ammo, food and water, is about seventy pounds.
Wow - that is heavy for a BOB. Not for an INCH bag, but in my estimation, 35 is about right for a BOB. I regard mobility as one of the most important abilities in an evacuation, and the difference between 35 and 70 is pretty significant when afoot. But I also think a handgun and 50 rounds as sufficient (and perhaps optimal) for a BOB. I guess it all depends what you think of when you say BOB, but I stick to the 3ish-day evac model.

ImfromtheGovt

Post by ImfromtheGovt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:29 am

My INCH bag weighs about 3,500 lbs and looks a bit like this:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 am

roscoe wrote:
My BOB, with weapons and ammo, food and water, is about seventy pounds.
Wow - that is heavy for a BOB. Not for an INCH bag, but in my estimation, 35 is about right for a BOB. I regard mobility as one of the most important abilities in an evacuation, and the difference between 35 and 70 is pretty significant when afoot. But I also think a handgun and 50 rounds as sufficient (and perhaps optimal) for a BOB. I guess it all depends what you think of when you say BOB, but I stick to the 3ish-day evac model.
And I would agree that if you didnt carry large weapons, and knew that you were going to be fed, and had water for three days, 35 pounds would be appropriate. But....thats a lot of ands.....

The weight adds up quick when you have multiple things to plan for. Sure, odds are if I'm bugging out, it's to the Holiday Inn, and I can do that bug out on 35 pounds. Hell, I can do that Bug Out on my EDC and with my Visa card.But we prepare for the worst case, not the best.

I can spend three days in the woods on 35 pounds, but I'm going to check the weather before I leave, plan my meals and my route out in advance, and I'm not going to pack very much redundancy.

Just remember two things:
1)Backpacking is not bugging out, and bugging out is not going to war.
2)In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 am

You can (and should) find the weight limit by loading the pack and carrying it some good distance. If you can't carry it down quality paths and roads for 10 miles, that's not a realistic weight for you. Once you know your weight, you can work backwards to see what you can carry.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Well a lot of it depends on hoe you weigh your bob too....

Total Weight vs. Base Weight
Skin-Out vs. Pack Only

I weigh my BOB as Total skin out weight, because that is the only way to make any real comparison.
This counts the clothes on my back, the shoes on my feet, My EDC gear, food, water and ammo.

This totals out to 70 lbs... it's a lot, I can carry it. I'm not comfortable carrying less into the kind of situation that would require me to strike out on foot.

If you ignore the weight of your EDC and clothing....
Clothes & boots I am wearing = 8 lbs.
My EDC gear = 3 lbs
11 lbs total... I'd bet 8-15 lbs is pretty typical

If you go with a base weight and ignore food and water (which is common even for ultralight backpackers)
6 liters Water = 15 lbs
3 days food, 3,000 calories per day = 10 lbs
25 lbs total!

Very basic battle rattle:
AR+4 loaded mags = 11 lbs

That leaves 23 lbs for gear and spare clothes...

Maybe this helps explain why everybody has a 70-100 lb bag, they are weighing different than you are.

Now that's not to say I haven't seen people with bags that have a 70 lb base weight without water... I will agree that is a bit crazy, but 100lbs total gear weight is pretty typical for modern infantry.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Mine weighs 55lbs because I built it after looking at a bunch of other people's (heavy) BOBs, and before doing any real backpacking myself. Experience is guiding me toward building an UL (sub 10lb) or at least lightweight (sub 25lb) baseweight packpacking setup, and using that as a testbed for lightening my BOB. To be clear: my backpacking rig will not be my BOB, but will provide insight into ways I can lighten my BOB.

55lbs is way too heavy for me, if I want to cover much real ground. I can lighten the load if I'm practicality-minded and not all derpy like "well I own this and it's MultiCam so it goes in." Hey, shut up. You've done it, too. Right? Please tell me I'm not the only one. :lol:

SpeedBug

Post by SpeedBug » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 pm

When I put mine together I started with a full 72 hour pack and modified it accordingly.

My target goal was to have my gear at or below 35 pounds.

I found that the best source for tips on long term backpacking are the folks who obsess over the extreme hiking stuff... the ones who are obsessed over each half-ounce they can save, from everything. Some for the ideas they have for general gear stuff is awesome...

They are the most weight obsessed hikers I can find on the internet. And these guys go for weeks at a time, hiking some of the most inhospitable terrain in the US. Now when you buy the stuff they recommend expect to spend more money than the normal stuff...

I have 3-days worth of food, mostly hi-protein, hi-calorie stuff like foil packs of tunafish, jerky, peanut butter, etc and 3 bagged Mountain House meals... The heaviest individual items would probably be my water. 2-3 liter camel-baks... I also have a Katadyn Vario water filter to replenish with... fortunately I live in an area where fresh flowing mountain spring fed water is plentiful, especially where my bug out location is. Small game and a fishing kit for extended food gathering abilities. .22 pistol + 100 rds of .22 ammo for hunting small game. Small first aid kit. Small personal hygiene kit. multiple fire starting implements. I have a small Gerber/fiskars hatchet and my SOG SEAL Pup Knife which rides on my belt...

My tent is a Catoma BedNet Tent with Upgrade Kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIczezXBvI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... the whole thing folded up is smaller than my titanium mess kit and weighs less too. My sleeping bag is the 4-Season Sungpak Softie Osprey http://www.bargainbacker.com/Snugpak-91 ... 33254.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compressed its much smaller than this picture implies...

Both of these I went with after discussing the weight issue with several folks on various extreme hiking forums.

Extra gear is three pair of socks and underwear, gloves, para-cord, a compass and a map of my local area, as well as a WAC Chart of my wide area... WAC is an aeronautical chart... being a commercially rated pilot since 1996, I found much use in this for long-er range-nav. Local-nav you still need a good ole street map and/or a topographical map.

No GPS for me... compass, a map and a watch and I'll get you their.

Primary and secondary weapons: Plain Jane Colt 6920, 4 mags, 120 rounds of ammo and a Smith J-Frame .38 w/20 rounds...

The small group of like minded folks I trust who take part in planning with me, we all agree that we need to be lite and fast on our feet if we plan to bug out. And we simulate bugging out to our chosen location at least once each season a year for the last 2 years. Its good to know how you will fare when its hot or cold, raining or snowing... simulating a bug out mid fall or early spring in 70 deg CAVU weather, is somewhat unrealistic...

You need to simulate your bug out in less than stelar conditions... infact the worse they are the better.

If the Zombies come they won't be checking the National Weather Service before choosing the time...

My group is planning an upcoming trip hopefully this month or next where we will go for a full week again. We did this once before last year and it was fun but an eyeopening experience.
Last edited by SpeedBug on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Justin Appleseed

Post by Justin Appleseed » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I guess I'm a simple guy? My belt, vest, plates, packs, tacos, ammo, weapons, without my bag are heaver than your bob's. With my pack it weighs in at 127 lbs. I'm 6'1" 185, puts me over 300lbs for the first 2-3 days, but I can stay out 2 weeks if I ration. I'm not set up for camping though, this is for when the Army decides I need to rot on a rock for awhile. Remind me again why I signed up for Recon.. Oh ya, the toys, the tags, and the trouble.. They never mentioned the weight!

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 am

damn i feel light i sit at about 80something including all three lines extra ammo, all my extra medical shit. Than agian im 5"8" or 5'9" (depending on who measures) and 185 (mostly mussel in the legs) but than again i have, filtration, cooking, game prep, entertainment (a few books and my kindle with a small PV cell to charge it and my batteries), weapons cleang kits (and plenty of hopes and otis lube), plus my bag is 4 season so i also have all the layers of my sleep system and my 4 season hammock so i could prly cut down... but you never know how long or when you will need to bug out so i stick with the always ready for any season approach. of and mine is an INCH it would suck to bug out than check out a few weeks later cause well i thought id be good in a few days.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 am

SpeedBug wrote:I've be looking over the various threads where people have detailed out their BOB's and such and I am at times astonished by the shear volume, size and weight of some of those bags...

One in particular the owners proudly proclaimed it weighed in at a back numbing 96 pounds! :shock:

That was me and I never "proudly proclaimed" shit.

So my question for the masses, is how much does your bag weigh and if its, say over 30 to 40 pounds why?

We have a saying in Special Forces, "Travel light, freeze at night." and maybe you should learn the difference between an INCH and a BOB before you start spouting your ultra-light philosophies.

What exactly is in it to make it weigh so much and how did you justify such a load out?

19 years of Special Forces experience.

My ready to go bag is about 25 pounds. Add in the weight of my rifle and my chosen handgun and it goes to about 35 pounds total weight I'll be packing.

You have a 3-day bag packed for a hiking trip and nothing more. What if you have to establish a basecamp and stay there for an extended period of time? Like months?

I think people should load up their bags to whatever size,shape and weight they think they want it at. Then instead of putting it on in your living room and walking around the house for a few minutes,proudly declaring it roadworthy... you should strike out on a hike with it... even its its just a mile hike around some property close by.

If you really want an eye opening experience, load up your full bug out load out then hit the woods for a weekend or longer...

Some of us do this all the time, like every other day or weekly.

Just like all the noobs in Iraq, who showed up with a load out the size of the US Calvary catalog, within a few days their stuff was parked way down to just what they absolutely needed.

Some of us have also spent YEARS in multiple combat zones. Not just Iraq or Afghanistan either. It's pretty insulting to imply that we are "noobs" just because we carry heavier gear than you do or more gear than you do. We look for strong and DURABLE equipment that will hold up to months or YEARS of field use. Most of the "ultralight" backpacking gear that you seem to be so fond of will not stand that test.

I think all of us can leaner from that.

Im not making fun of anyone, nor do I think my set up is best for you. I am simply asking everyone to please do a full test run of there gear. It could mean the different between you making it to your bug out location and not.

If you would have read my INCH thread entirely, you'd know that I have lived out of a rucksack my entire adult life. I've carried a rucksack in every type of fucked up environment you could possible imagine and in the worst possible conditions. I know what works and what doesn't. You have a 3 day bag with food for 3 days. It is not an INCH which by design allows you to operate in an extended time in the SHTF environment. I have enough food for 45 days. Even when I was on the teams, I carried enough food for 30 days, just in case our resupply drop didn't come, and many times it didn't come. Those guys that packed 7 days worth of food weren't laughing at me when they came asking me for some grub around day 10 of the mission.

Please learn the difference between an INCH and a BOB and the different strategies used to determine which one is best for you.

And by the way, why don't you post some pics of your awesome ultralight BOB setup so that we can all see it? That would be so much better than just saying you have that equipment, don't you think?

Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

Didn't we have a thread just like this a few weeks ago?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

YEP!
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 am

Hey ODA 226, given your experience, I have a question for you:

What do you think of hiking poles? I realize soldiers will carry weapons in their hands so that they can respond to any threats quickly, but if you were travelling through an area where you knew no one was going to shoot at you, would you prefer to use some hiking poles with all that weight you carry, or not?

Also, how useful have hiking poles (if you've ever used them) been when you twisted an ankle, or got some other leg injury?
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 am

derf26 wrote:Hey ODA 226, given your experience, I have a question for you:

What do you think of hiking poles? I realize soldiers will carry weapons in their hands so that they can respond to any threats quickly, but if you were travelling through an area where you knew no one was going to shoot at you, would you prefer to use some hiking poles with all that weight you carry, or not?

Also, how useful have hiking poles (if you've ever used them) been when you twisted an ankle, or got some other leg injury?
If I were to go on a HIKING trip, I'd give them a try. I've used a Bo staff while hiking before, so why not try the poles. In a SHTF situation...no way and for the very reason you mentioned above.
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am

ODA 226 wrote:
derf26 wrote:Hey ODA 226, given your experience, I have a question for you:

If I were to go on a HIKING trip, I'd give them a try. I've used a Bo staff while hiking before, so why not try the poles. In a SHTF situation...no way and for the very reason you mentioned above.
I guess I bring it up because in much of the world, especially where I live, firearms are impossible (or almost) to legally acquire. The most I could have is a knife, and maybe a bow. My tent also requires poles for setup, so they're definitely coming in my case.
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am

This has still been bugging me, so I looked up some of the manufacture listed weights on the stuff you listed..

2-3 liter camel-baks - 13.2 lbs
Katadyn Vario water filter - 1.0lbs
Plain Jane Colt 6920, 4 mags, 120 rounds of ammo - 10.8lbs
Smith J-Frame .38 w/20 rounds - 1.7 lbs
Gerber/fiskars hatchet - 1.3 lbs
SOG SEAL Pup Knife - .3 lbs
Catoma BedNet Tent with Upgrade Kit - 2 lbs
4-Season Sungpak Softie Osprey - 4.4 lbs

Just this stuff alone totals 34.7 lbs. not including your pack, food, titanium mess kit, three pair of socks and underwear, gloves, para-cord, compass and a map, Small first aid kit, Small personal hygiene kit, and fire starting implements.

I left the .22 pistol and 100 rds .22 ammo out of the mix as well. If you will be carrying all three firearms, add another 1.5-2 lbs (depending on the pistol).

I also assume you have things like a hat, headlamp, flashlight, poncho/raingear, and layered clothing/outerwear, nalgene bottle etc, that you did not mention.

You also mentioned you have 3 days worth of food but will be taking a week long trip w/ your buds.. Does you 35lb load account for 4 additional days of food?

As I mentioned before, I would love to see a complete detailed breakdown of your kit including weights just so we can clear this up.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 pm

SpeedBug wrote:They are the most weight obsessed hikers I can find on the internet. And these guys go for weeks at a time, hiking some of the most inhospitable terrain in the US. Now when you buy the stuff they recommend expect to spend more money than the normal stuff...
Most of us have a limited budget, so we have to settle for heavier gear
I have a small Gerber/fiskars hatchet and my SOG SEAL Pup Knife which rides on my belt...
What's the weight on this?
Primary and secondary weapons: Plain Jane Colt 6920, 4 mags, 120 rounds of ammo and a Smith J-Frame .38 w/20 rounds...
Weight? Where is this on your roster?
The small group of like minded folks I trust who take part in planning with me, we all agree that we need to be lite and fast on our feet if we plan to bug out. And we simulate bugging out to our chosen location at least once each season a year for the last 2 years. Its good to know how you will fare when its hot or cold, raining or snowing... simulating a bug out mid fall or early spring in 70 deg CAVU weather, is somewhat unrealistic...
It's good to train. Next time, when you get to your BOL, get close enough to see it, then react like it's been wiped off the earth. No resupply, no safe, warm nap, just hike off to the next best place with what you have left in your ruck.
I respect packing light, I spent a few years freezing at night. That's how the Infantry rolls.

What worries me is that you plan too tight. Not much wiggle room.

Also, I think you learned too much of the wrong kind of math from these UL guys...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

SpeedBug

Post by SpeedBug » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:22 pm

To those who have offered much welcomed constructive criticism, thank you!

I will look into your suggestions as this is why I posted here... new ideas, new options, gear suggestions, approaches to current problems... just like you, my bug is and always will be a work in progress...

To those who are for reasons passing understanding, angry and you perceive that I have challenged you and what you believe as the only option... sorry, you can have a cookie if you like. I honestly don't know what else to say to you...

I realize that what works for me probably won't work for anyone else, I said as much in my opening post.

I wanted to know what the thinking was behind folks who chose to go with massively heavy packs... and some took that as an attack... some of you have some thin skin to be as tough as you claim you are...

Sorry for upsetting you...

My humble apologies...
Last edited by SpeedBug on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 pm

The quiet professionals.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”