Someone recommend me a a multitool

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JRR

Someone recommend me a a multitool

Post by JRR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm looking for a lightweight, barebones multitool at a decent price. It must have reliable pliers, a good, non-serrated blade, and a can opener. A saw or scissors (or both) would be nice, but the pliers, blade, and can opener are most important. Can anyone point me toward something that meets the above criteria and is fairly inexpensive?

Thanks!

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Someone recommend me a a multitool

Post by airballrad » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Sidekick

The Sidekick may not be the most lightweight thing out there, but it has the non-serrated blade, pliers, and can opener you want, as well as a saw. It comes with Leatherman's standard 25-year (or more) warranty, and can be found for under $35 if you shop around. If you suddenly decided the can opener could be replaced by a bottle opener, and price was less of an object, but you really wanted barebones/lightweight, you could look at the LM Skeletool CX.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Skeletool_CX

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 pm

JRR wrote:I'm looking for a lightweight, barebones multitool at a decent price. It must have reliable pliers, a good, non-serrated blade, and a can opener. A saw or scissors (or both) would be nice, but the pliers, blade, and can opener are most important. Can anyone point me toward something that meets the above criteria and is fairly inexpensive?

Thanks!
I believe the Gerber Suspension might meet your needs and has always struck me as a high value, medium duty multi-tool from a respected manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Suspension ... m_sbs_lg_1

pyzik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine

Post by pyzik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I have a Buck Knife, Gerber and a Leatherman Wave. I choose the Leatherman everytime!
Preparing to prep.

JRR

Post by JRR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 pm

airballrad wrote:http://www.leatherman.com/product/Sidekick

The Sidekick may not be the most lightweight thing out there, but it has the non-serrated blade, pliers, and can opener you want, as well as a saw. It comes with Leatherman's standard 25-year (or more) warranty, and can be found for under $35 if you shop around. If you suddenly decided the can opener could be replaced by a bottle opener, and price was less of an object, but you really wanted barebones/lightweight, you could look at the LM Skeletool CX.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Skeletool_CX
Thanks. The lack of a can opener is a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise the skeletool is nice. I'll check out the Sidekick.

Logans Run

Post by Logans Run » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

you could be the first one on your block to sport this one!
Membership paid on May 3rd.
I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when.
California Bay Area Chapter ZSC:015
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

theotherryan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Old school Romero.

Post by theotherryan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Basic leatherman, SOG or Gerber. I have used all 3. Like the SOG best but the Leatherman is probably the most durable.
Take care of eachother

http://tslrf.blogspot.de/

alanmexico

Post by alanmexico » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Leatherman wave.

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Leatherman. I have the sog as well, but outside of the augger I prefer the leatherman hands-down. The wave is fantastic.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

Glockman

Post by Glockman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Normal size: Leatherman Wave. Has most of the bells and whistles without being crazy and having stuff you will never use.
EDC size: Leatherman Juice C2 (has small knife, bottle opener, corkscrew, and basic screwdrivers)

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm

LM Wave.

NXP

survivalcordman

Post by survivalcordman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56 am

I bought the first model Gerber my first year as a deputy sheriff. That was 17 years ago. I still carry that same tool to this day. Great products.

http://www.survivalcord.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.survivalcord.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A father and son small business. We make custom paracord survival products. Come visit and tell me what you think!

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:03 am

Another one for the LM Wave, use it everyday. Absolute beast
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

MidRange

Post by MidRange » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:44 am

LM wave ftw. A very well made multitool, plus a lifetime warranty. I jumped on it (opened up with the pliers gripping a 1/4" rod of steel on top of concrete) about 10-12 times before it bent out of shape (I weigh about 150). You will sharpen the knife on it to a nub before it will break, even with really heavy use.

Currently I use a Victorinox Swiss Tool, which is great quality, but I still miss my wave.

Not sure why lightweight is so important, but I would recommend a basic Leatherman model, like the sidekick.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I love my Leatherman Wave and my Leatherman Squirt. I got my Wave on Amazon and it came with a sheath, which I found has some small pockets. I am able to keep in it the Wave, a small tweezers set, my fire-starter stick and steel, and a small pen. I intend to add a sturdy needle and a bit of heavy duty thread, as well.

Wave at Amazon

Squirt at Amazon
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Learning is an ongoing process.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I really enjoy my Leatherman Blast, and carry it everyday. It is my first multitool tho, so take that for what it's worth.

I wish I would have held out for the black oxide coating for those extra tacticool points, but i saw the plain jane shiney version at a local hardware store and bought it instead.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 pm

I carry a Victorinox Huntsman, I know it doesn't have pliers but it's still a great tool.
-1,000,000 for the Gerber Suspension, it weighs and feels like a brick with some screwdriver points attached.
I've got a LM Juice XE6, bit weighty but not too horrible, maybe look into the smaller LM Juice variants?
My friend has a Skeletool and loves it, he's a pretty bare-bones kinda guy.
Is this for pocket, bag, or belt carry??
Another one of my friends has a Wave, and it's the tits. We use it for heaps of crap when we're out shooting, or doing survival stuff. I wouldn't mind a Charge TTi at some point, but I'm sure a Wave would do the job, also has just about every tool you'd ever need.
I also like the SOG Paratool, maybe check on of those out.

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

Wolfmanjack

Post by Wolfmanjack » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Just want to put out a piece of friendly advice about multitools...
These things are only good for little jobs and as an emergency tool. Im a building engineer, We carry leather super tools and use them daily. It's a good tool. It won't hold up under stress. We break them and order new probably twice or three times a year. We have broken the file, screwdrivers bits, blade locks, knife, and saw. The only part on them that has not broken yet is the plyers. I bent that pretty good though cutting a drywall screw in half. For real work use real tools. Again it's our emergency tool when something has to get done now. And it has saved my lower back from having to carry around everything I use to carry.
Thank for listening.

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Wolfmanjack wrote:These things are only good for little jobs and as an emergency tool. Im a building engineer, We carry leather super tools and use them daily. It's a good tool. It won't hold up under stress.
This is, in my opinion, a very good and valid point. I have somewhere in the area of 25 multitools at last count. I still have pliers, files, saws, screwdrivers, knives, scissors, socket drivers, and can openers that are full sized, single purpose, and don't fold up and fit on my belt. However, 90% of the time the multitool will do the job without me having to go to the garage or the hardware store. And 95% of the time it's still a lot more than the people around me have to deal with the problems that arise.

That still doesn't justify the number I have, of course. I'm just a junkie. :oops:

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Wolfmanjack wrote:Just want to put out a piece of friendly advice about multitools...
These things are only good for little jobs and as an emergency tool. Im a building engineer, We carry leather super tools and use them daily. It's a good tool. It won't hold up under stress.
I still wouldn't want to go without one :?
Learning is an ongoing process.

searching4itnc

Post by searching4itnc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 am

I'm not sure of the brand name, but it's Wal-Mart's store brand multitool. I've had several different types, but this one seems to be indestructible. That and it's only ten bucks... Knife stays sharp too...
"Save the last bullet for yourself".

Projo
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Post by Projo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:38 am

The Navy issues us Gerber's and I'm a pretty big fan of them.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:05 am

searching4itnc wrote:I'm not sure of the brand name, but it's Wal-Mart's store brand multitool. I've had several different types, but this one seems to be indestructible. That and it's only ten bucks... Knife stays sharp too...
Ozark Trail. Yeah, I have one. I also got a free Red Cross multi-tool for x number of blood donations. It's clearly the same Ozark Trails tool with a slightly different blade set.

Good pliers, nice wood saw and very comfortable grip. But it suffers from an excessive number of knife blades; three of them. Long serrated edge knife, long straight edge knife and a short straight edge knife, which is kind of ridiculous. How many different kinds of knife blades do you need in a single multi-tool, really?

I guess a knife blade is one of the cheaper tool options to manufacture, so they throw three of those on there to get their total tool count up. Instead of offering something like a pair of scissors, a really small eyeglasses screw driver, or even a dedicated bottle opener.

But I agree with searching4itnc. For the money (<$10) it's a surprisingly serviceable full size multi-tool.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”