SAS Survival Guide (Miniature)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

SAS Survival Guide (Miniature)

Post by moab » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I just wanted to sing the praises of this little book. I have not read thru it completely yet. But it has to be the one manual to take with you. If you can't carry anything else. Also get the small version. It's literally 3 x 4 inches. Or something close. And less than an inch thick. Maybe an inch. I was going to supplement it with a good first aid manual. But just noticed it has almost 75 pages just on first aid. So after reading it I'll see if I actually need the added weight of a separate first aid manual. (But if anyone has a suggestion for a small light weight first aid manual. Please let me know?)

The book covers way to much for me to go into detail here. But do yourself a favor and pick one up on ebay or amazon. And make sure it's the small version. I was expecting to carry a medium sized paperback. But this thing is SMALL. And light weight. And full of all the knowledge you need when bugging out or inching it across just about any terrain. There are sections broken down about surviving in any area on earth.

I've seen this book at the top of many peoples lists across the internet. Now I know why. If you want to peruse it for free first - search google for "doomguide sas survival guide".

Anyone else like this book? Agree that it's the one book to have if you only have room for one small book?

Patrick

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: SAS Survival Guide (Miniature)

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I also sing the praises of that book, and Lofty Wiseman.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

TheWaker43

Post by TheWaker43 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for the size comparison. I have the larger revised edition and the iPhone app. Is the small one pictured the same just in a smaller package or is it a condensed version?

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Same, smaller package.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

moab

Post by moab » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Ya. Same book. Smaller package is all. It's great. Wish I could find a comparable first aid book this size. Would be perfect.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I have one as an iPhone app. Pretty nice and not very expensive.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:13 pm

I have the small version of this one too. Great read and as already stated really doesn't take up much room in the pack.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 am

I have the small one in all of our car kits and an extra for my GHB or travel kit.

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:36 am

Sorry hate to dig up an ancient thread, but where the heck can I find this mini book?

Would love to put this in my kids get home bag.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:16 am

dtwn92 wrote:Sorry hate to dig up an ancient thread, but where the heck can I find this mini book?
It's really not that difficult .....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... s+survival
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:05 pm

This was actually my very first survival guide that I got when I was still just a little kid. I kept reading it cover to cover I don't know how many times. Pretty much the building blocks everything else since then.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:49 am

If you click on the first book in those results, you will note that the paperback is the pocket version (Product Dimensions: 0.9 x 3 x 4.8 inches). :?

Happy shopping.
Last edited by Beowolf on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:51 am

Beowolf wrote:Actually, if you click on the first book in those results, you will note that the paperback is the pocket version (Product Dimensions: 0.9 x 3 x 4.8 inches). :?

Happy shopping.

Thanks I just seen that. Probably shouldn't post tired...lol
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 am

No worries. :) Sometimes those dimensions are a pain to find anyway.

Glad this thread popped up, though, as this seems like a great resource to have.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 am

Beowolf wrote:If you click on the first book in those results, you will note that the paperback is the pocket version (Product Dimensions: 0.9 x 3 x 4.8 inches). :?

Happy shopping.
If that's referring to my link , 4 of the 5 books are the pocket version. Maybe it's just a UK thing but all books published as "Collins Gem" are in the pocket sized format which is why I used those words in the search parameters. :)
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:31 am

I bought one years ago and it's lived in my BOB since. Great for reference and for combating boredom!
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:17 am

They can be purchased quite often at most military surplus stores. I've always seen them at those locations.

If you're in an urban area don't forget about this one: http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Urban-Surviva ... ival+guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 am

vahtryn wrote:They can be purchased quite often at most military surplus stores. I've always seen them at those locations.

If you're in an urban area don't forget about this one: http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Urban-Surviva ... ival+guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A good urban survival guide should only have 3 words---"get out now"

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:45 am

gundogs wrote:
vahtryn wrote:They can be purchased quite often at most military surplus stores. I've always seen them at those locations.

A good urban survival guide should only have 3 words---"get out now"
Then you'd not survive. Heavily populated areas the first reaction is going to be getting away as fast as possible. If one thinks traffic is bad now, imagine in a situation of that nature. Not very good to leave in the first or second rush if that's your plan.

Then there's the fact that the vast majority of populations live in urban, or suburban, locations. Being able to utilize what's around you better should definitely help yourself out as well as those that are a part of your community.

While I do want land that's not urban I have to live urban because of a career I do. Because of this I must help teach people to be more self reliant so that things are better not just for me but for everyone around me as well.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 am

Interesting. that's even smaller than the pocket edition I currently have.
I also have the huge colored one.
Will look into the Urban one.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”