Need/Want a new EDC bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Need/Want a new EDC bag

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 am

Hey guys,
So I'm basically looking for a new EDC bag, at the moment I'm using a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack and it's just a little small for carrying textbooks too and from Uni, can't put a jacket into it, etc.
It's a great bag, and I still use it when I go out shooting, but I just need more space.
The other thing is carrying it for long days loaded to the brim it starts hurting my shoulder.
So I've basically narrowed it down to a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon or a 5.11 RUSH 12. The RUSH is more expensive to get over here to NZ as the only places I've found are charging a fair hunk for shipping, but I like the look of the RUSH better than the Pygmy Falcon.
Any bags of a similar style and price-bracket will be considered!
N.B. I'd like the bag in black or khaki, so suggestions should try to be that sort of colour.

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Re: Need/Want a new EDC bag

Post by hawk55732 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 am

I am a big advocate of Spec OPs THE Pack myself. http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-ge ... -pack.html I have had mine since 2005. Since then it has seen two deployments in Iraq, multiple excersies and plenty of EDC. The worse thing that I can say about my current one is that it has to be washed. Dont let the two hundered dollar price tag scare you away. You can usually find one on ebay for less then a hundred and right now they having a sale on some of the older color ones (last I saw was the tri desert and green ones). Great deal if you get it and I garuntee you will love it.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Awesome! Thanks man, definitely have another contender now! Haha.

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm

My EDC is the kelty MAP 3500. It's a bigger bag that can compress down a bunch. I remove the hip belt for EDC and put it back on if I go hiking or need to carry a decent weight (loaning tools to a coworker most recently). Below is my thread looking for opinions on it. It comes in a bunch of different colors and is usually available in the US for about $100 or so. If you google it there are a couple threads with tons of pictures. No idea if anyone ships to NZ at a reasonable price.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&start=0

CB4

Post by CB4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

I EDC a LARKSPUR MESSENGER BAG in black. I like that it is inconspicuous and doesnt look too tactical. It has a ton of room and pockets for all my stuff plus a laptop.
‎"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha
Si vis pacem, para bellum

navajojoe

Post by navajojoe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:13 am

I am big fan of the Mountain Smith Network bag. It is a grayman look, and fits all of my EDC. I must add my EDC is a bit larger as I am always on the road but am stationed overseas. This makes a BOB to much and an INCH is overkill, so this leaves a EDC+ 8-) The bag is always at my side and draws very little attention. I have flown with it and also done pretty good long trips on trains. It carries just right on me.

Hope this helps!

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.a ... egory2Id=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"

ngc604
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking dead(TV) and Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by ngc604 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:37 am

If the rush is in your list of contenders check this out
http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just got one because the price is pretty unbeatable. I compared it to my friends rush and the quality in construction is pretty similar. I can not attest to it's longevity since i just got it. If you happen to have a friend in the states that can help you get it i think it would be worth a try.

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:59 am

I've heard the LAPG bags aren't that good quality, and some of my textbooks are pretty weighty, don't want stitching to fail.
That Kelty looks pretty nice! Starting to get a bit high on my price range, because I'll then have to factor shipping into it to get it to NZ lol, but I'll definitely keep it in mind!
Are Kelty packs good? Never seen them in NZ so unsure of quality.
Does anyone have any experience with either of the two bags I suggested?

Cheers,
Sean.

Dr Jekell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:40 am

Try here for 5.11 tactical gear (yes I have linked the Rush 24 but I am sure they can get you the 12 if you ask)

You could also look at the Camelbak Trizip pack that several Christchurch retailers can order in for you.

On the forums I frequent these two packs are getting rave reviews. If you want some good pictures of them have a search of EDCF (Every Day Carry Forums).

And you haven't even looked at Kifaru & Mystery Ranch bags yet :twisted:
Screw the 2012 apocalypse. Ragnarok bitches!

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:59 am

SORD AUSTRALIA STRIKE PACK

^That's what I EDC.

^That's it providing the backdrop for a hero shot of my choppers. I keep a full size laptop in there, PPE, jacket, wet weather gear, all sorts of shit.
It's over engineered to hell in a good way. There's lots of attention to detail like the re-inforced drag/brief case handle that I don't see on a lot of similiar items.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:27 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote: Does anyone have any experience with either of the two bags I suggested?
We have the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II's as our EDC bags.
The bag is a great size, just big enough to have everything we need to get home. (Plus molle straps to add items, if we want). It also isn't 'too' big, so it doesn't take up a lot of space in the trunk.
We love the bags when we are hiking or camping. One big seller for us was the water bladder storage.
If you get one of these, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Best of luck!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks guys! Good to know!
Tetra, what'd that sting ya??
Dr. Jekell, I've seen that site before, but I've been able to source FAR cheaper stuff State-side, even with shipping.
How much are you forking out for your flash-er bags(If you don't mind me asking?)? I just can't find anything for a price I won't need to sell my body for to pay the bill :shock:
(FYI, I'm a Uni student, we're all broke hahaha).

Cheers,
Sean.

Dr Jekell
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:44 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:How much are you forking out for your flash-er bags(If you don't mind me asking?)? I just can't find anything for a price I won't need to sell my body for to pay the bill :shock:
(FYI, I'm a Uni student, we're all broke hahaha).
An arm, leg & a spleen. :shock:

For the following:

1 x X-Ray Pack
1 x Unpadded Hip belt with power pull
1 x Organizer
1 x Lock 'n Load #10
1 x Medium Pod
2 x Standard Long Pockets

Plus shipping, customs taxes, the banks 2.5% currency conversion "fee"

It came to approx $1200 about 2 years ago.

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:18 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:Thanks guys! Good to know!
Tetra, what'd that sting ya??

Cheers,
Sean.
It's on the site at the moment for $250 Australian - I got mine back in '09 for $187.50 on special down from $245.

Well worth it IMHO my Pākehā cuzzybro. Mine has been through hell, overloaded, underloaded, thrown in and out of trucks on a daily basis, dragged through evil scrub, had firewood hauled in it, survived airline staff and recently had red cordial spilled on it (which washed out).

Bombproof. :D

EDIT TO ADD: I've been meaning to get one of these (SORD HEL) to MOLLE to the front for extra capacity/convenience. Doubt if I'd actually use it for the stated hydration carrier purpose as I already have a camelback inside the main bag with the tube coming out the hydration/antennae port.

Will probably pull the trigger on the HEL soon.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Dr Jekell
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:18 am

Knew I had seen them some where else.

Tactical solutions Ltd has the 5.11 Rush 12 pack

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 am

I gotta jump on the bandwagon with those who recommend the Spec-Ops THE pack.

I'm a graduate student and carry mine daily; there's enough room for books and everything else a student would need for class.

The school stuff goes in the main pocket. The outer pockets are large enough to stow my EDC/GHB gear, poncho, FAK, spare socks, toiletries, snacks, etc.

Yup, it's pricey. But tough. For example, mine was in the back of an MRAP that got hit by an RPG in Afghanistan.

A lot of stuff next to it was toast--my THE pack doesn't have a mark on it. On patrols, we used one to hump 60mm mortar rounds, so it's not too bad with a heavy load, should you also use it as a BOB, day pack for hiking.

It also fits nicely into airline luggage bins, etc., making it a solid, practical piece of gear with many uses.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”