Vertx Tactical Pant / Phantom LT Pant

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jesuban

Re: Vertx Tactical Pant / Phantom LT Pant

Post by Jesuban » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm the guy doing the Vertx Endurance Testing which GunsUp mentioned earlier in this thread. While I'm only half way through my testing, they are holding up well. While not doing Crossfit, I do utilize specific exercises which test various parts/functions of the pants. For example, I utilize tire flips to test the ability of the material to withstand abrashion/rough environments...and Olympic exercises for testing the design of waistband, articulated knees and gusseted crotch.
For more info, visit:
http://bandatacfit.wordpress.com/catego ... ance-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am

GunsUp, what is your size/weight and what size pants did you get? Also, is it just that pic or are these pants a little more butt-hugging than some others?

I'm a big fan of the 5.11 Covert Cargo pants myself, but am tempted to try some of these.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Resolute wrote:GunsUp, what is your size/weight and what size pants did you get? Also, is it just that pic or are these pants a little more butt-hugging than some others?
Not a very polite question lol....

I'm 5'11" 240-250 lbs with a long torso and short legs, I am relatively muscular but I have a gut (I do too much strength training and not enough cardio or dieting). My Vertx pants are 42x30 and they are loose enough to IWB conceal carry a full size .40, but they fall off if I don't have a belt . They are pretty similar in sizing to Levi jeans, but the waistband elastic gives them a bit more flexibility. I have to go a size higher for the 5.11 pants.

I guess maybe they are "butt hugging", but I have never felt self-conscious or uncomfortable, they are by far the most comfortable pants I have ever owned, including blue jeans. They have the gusseted crotch so there is not much excess material on the crotch / ass and I regularly do deadlifts, squats and lunges in them without hiking the crotch up or blowing a seam. The high cut back keeps the plumbers crack at bay even when in a full squat but may also contribute to the "butt hugging".

I haven't weighed the cotton pants, but the poly/cotton phantoms are 584 g (20.6 oz).

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 pm

I love mine. Thanks for heads up on the sale.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 pm

GunsUp wrote:
crypto wrote:It looks like Condor now has a knockoff of these pants:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tg-608-tac-pants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats the 65/35 ripstop version, but they have a cotton canvas version too.

What did the Vertx's cost ?
$65 regular
$45 on sale (right now).

Even when they aren't on sale $20 is not enough of a price difference between high quality name brand clothing and a cheap knockoff

i agree wholeheartedly with you. For some reason I was *sure* that the VertX pants were more in line with TAD Gear pricing, I am really glad to see they arent, and Im ordering several pair tonight.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 pm

They'd better not be fucking discontinuing these!
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 am

FYI: Just picked up two pair and most of the remaining normal sizes (I'm 38x32 IWB sizing) were in Desert Tan. I picked up 38x32 in Desert Tan and had to x34 in OD.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 am

Hey mate, I've been eyeing these up for a while, and was wondering if you could tell me if they are the ACTUAL waist size they say they are? Lol.
I have problems with pants like these saying 36" and being a 34" etc, so it'd be a huge favour if you could measure them, and tell me if they're the same size(waist) that they claim to be on the label.

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Didn't mean to offend at all! It's just hard to figure out those things from pictures. I have a bit of a booty so anything that rides up normal size people makes my butt look like J-Lo.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate it.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:Hey mate, I've been eyeing these up for a while, and was wondering if you could tell me if they are the ACTUAL waist size they say they are? Lol.
I have problems with pants like these saying 36" and being a 34" etc, so it'd be a huge favour if you could measure them, and tell me if they're the same size(waist) that they claim to be on the label.

Cheers,
Sean.
The 42x30's fresh from the laundry actually measure right at 42" around the waistband (44" with the elastic pulled tight) and 29.75" on the inseam.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Ditto. I'm technically a 37" waist, so I upsize to 38". With the stretch, it's perfect for IWB. My pants are 38" on the money.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 am

GunsUp wrote:
Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:Hey mate, I've been eyeing these up for a while, and was wondering if you could tell me if they are the ACTUAL waist size they say they are? Lol.

Cheers,
Sean.
The 42x30's fresh from the laundry actually measure right at 42" around the waistband (44" with the elastic pulled tight) and 29.75" on the inseam.
Thanks very much!
I'm gonna order 2 pairs now! :D

Cheers,
Sean.

*Edit* Scratch that, can't find any in my size in the colours I want, let alone any that don't charge $40 for shipping! I hate living in New Zealand sometimes!! :vmad:
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 am

Pardon the resurrection, but tagging this for future interest. Just ordered some of these and want to come back and contribute my review. :)
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Update... I have 4 pairs of these, wear nothing but these pants. After almost 2 years of continuous wear even the first pair shows barely any sign of wear, only place they don't look brand new is where my knife clips to the pants pocket. They are as comfortable as the day i bought them, badass pants.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 am

Same here. I have 5 pairs, with a pair of the new grey colored LTs on the way. These pants show no sign of wear. The only *slightly* annoying thing is that if you have something metal clipped to your right pocket, the metal zipper pull for the hidden pocket will clank against the metal flashlight/metal scaled knife as you walk.

I used the discount code, "TMVTX40CA" (Use the caps) for 40% off wearvertx.com a week ago when I ordered my grey LTs. Saved me a bit of coin.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I have a pair of the regular and a pair of the LT, and while I like them, they are a tad snug around the pelvis for me. It will be less noticeable if I can lose a little weight, but they definitely limit my comfort in a sitting environment. I think they'd be a little restrictive in an active environment, too.

This probably could have been managed by purchasing a waist size up.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

c3331666

Post by c3331666 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 am

GunsUp wrote:Background
I've long been looking for a "grey man" tactical pant that I would feel comfortable wearing to work and in most situations short of a suit & tie event. I've had lots of cargo pants over the years (Levi's, Old navy, etc.), but these always seem to be designed more for appearance than functionality. The lid on the cargo pockets never covers the whole pocket especially after a few washings and that makes them more or less blue jeans. Also they tend to be made of a very heavy weight cotton that i don't find particularly comfortable in the hot summers. A couple of years ago I bought two pairs of LAPG Operator pants, but the zipper ripped out of one pair on one of the first few washings and after 20 wearings or so the stitching int he crotch is failing in the other. I thought about giving the 5-11 pants a try but decided that I didn't want a look that was so obviously tactical, so i went back to Columbia Outdoor pants (no cargo pockets) for outdoor wear and blue jeans for day to day. Then I saw the vertx pants on LAPG and liked the look of them so I gave them a try. I have two pair (one cotton, one blend) and I have pretty much worn nothing but these two pair for the last 3 months.

Appearance
The most unique thing about these pants is that all the pockets are all sewn flat, so they are not obviously tactical/cargo pants unless you look carefully, especially when the pockets are empty. It really seems that every feature on this pant is made to be very durable and functional without appearing so from more than a foot or two away. They look more like khaki pants than tactical pants and I don't feel like a mall ninja wearing them to work and social events. Also the grey man benefit is nice as some people call tactical pants "shoot me first pants".

Fabric and Versions
They have two versions, one is 98% cotton, 2% Lycra (Men's Pant), the other is 65% polyester, 35% cotton (Men's Phantom LT Pant). Both of the pants are nearly identical otherwise. I'm not sure of the weight of the cotton fabric, but it is significantly heavier than the poly/cotton blend pant which is a 6.5 oz. mini ripstop. Both fabrics look very high quality and feel very high quality to the touch. The lycra is added to the cotton to add a bit of stretch, but I'm not sure I've noticed the stretch. The cotton pants are warmer and more wind resistant than the poly pants, but the poly pants weigh significantly less and are more water resistant/faster drying. The poly pants feature "Intelli-Dry Technology" which I am guessing is a DWR finish and indeed water does bead-up on the pants, but they are not rain pants by any means and would wet through in less than a minute of heavy rain. Both fabrics seem to attract a lot of pet hair and lint compared to blue jeans, but the cotton pants are actually worse than the polyester. Both pants laundry well and are pretty wrinkle free. After a dozen or more launderings nothing seems to have shrunk out of shape or had to be ironed back in place (like most cargo pant pockets).

Features
I'll discuss features as I go through the pictures. I'll also apologize ahead of time for being a fat ass. All of these photos are of the cotton pant, because that's what I was wearing at the time, but the poly pant looks more or less identical.

As you can see the features are all very low profile and require close inspection to see. I don't feel these pants look out of place in a casual work environment. They are probably a bit baggy to wear with dress shoes to church or the like, but that's your choice, they certainly would look less out of place than any other tactical pant. One of the main features I like (which is somewhat visible in this picture) is that the waist band is cut at an angle so that the back rides higher than the front, reducing the plumbers crack problem. Additionally the gusseted crotch and articulated knees are fantastic, I have never had these pants bind up on me even when squatting to pick up heavy objects or climbing in and out of high vehicles.

This is a good view of all of the pockets. The pant has 7 pockets: 2 leg, 2 rear, 1 left hip, 2 right hip. The pockets are all spacious without being bulgy and are cut for easy access. In this picture I have a CZ-P01 9mm in my right hip pocket (you can barely see the rear bottom edge of the grip) and a loaded 30rd PMAG in the leg pocket. I think the pants ride pretty well despite the weight and don't really print. The flat flap over the leg pocket provides plenty of retention without interfering with operation. The hip pockets are cut with a flat notch at the bottom so a clip on pocket knife rides securely. The "seam" directly behind the hip pocket is actually the second hip pocket which is closed with a low profile zipper. The zipper rides down inside the main pocket and is pretty easy to get to, but small enough it doesn't catch on things coming in or out of the pocket. This pocket is fantastic for things like loose cash, a money clip or a passport. The rear pocket has a small flap on the inside, that helps in the retention of a wallet. Using the flap takes a bit of getting used to, and I honestly rarely use this feature because I don't have a day to day problem with pick pockets or loosing my wallet.

The leg pockets have a single organizer inside sized for handcuffs, a smart phone or AR-15 mags.

The zipper is a sturdy metal YKK zipper that is double stitched and the button is a single through hole button. The button hole is easy to insert and remove.

The waist band has 1-2 inches of give due to the small bit of elastic. This is just enough to give some breathing room when bending over but no so much as to make it obvious or make them too loose. All of the seams are double stitched with a fine pitch stitching pattern and what seems to be good thread. After three months I haven't seen any stitches coming loose.

http://tacticalassaultgear.net/tactical ... s-reviewed
The crotch has a generous gusseting for ease of movement. Again notice all seams are double stitched.

If you have any questions or want to see another view let me know, I'd be happy to oblige.

GunsUp,
Very thanks for the great review!!

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Since somebody else bumped this topic, I thought I'd give a long term update. 4+ years in and I still wear these pants daily. Lost two pair after about 3 years of wear due to crotch failure. My last few pairs have had problems with the zipper ripping out, maybe because I have gained some weight but haven't gone up in size. Re-sewed the zipper on and they keep trucking. Overall I am still very happy and would gladly recommend them still.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”