Calcium Hypochlorite / Pool Shock Water Treatment

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

stickle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Calcium Hypochlorite / Pool Shock Water Treatment

Post by stickle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:31 am

Question:

A small amount of this would take up very little space. As valuable as it is, what about freezing it to stabilize it for storage? I could spare a little room in my freezer...

Thoughts on how to do this?

S.

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 am

Very good thread, with some questions remaining. I guess I can dig some research of my own with the start this thread provides.

Thanks.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

tittiger

Post by tittiger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 pm

stickle wrote:Question:

A small amount of this would take up very little space. As valuable as it is, what about freezing it to stabilize it for storage? I could spare a little room in my freezer...

Thoughts on how to do this?

S.
Considering that you always seem to get leakage of corrosive chlorine gas I would not do that myself.

Especially with the fact that it is good for 10 years or so not in the freezer. I save freezer space for stuff like antibiotics and nutritional supplements.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 am

Thought they said it was only shelf stable for 2 years
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

stickle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by stickle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Yea, that was my question too...

OPsaid stable for two years. Will freezing extend that?

S

Neville

Post by Neville » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I think calcium hypochlorite, if stored and respected properly, is a good prep to have on hand. But it is very difficult to store because of various concerns about stability, vapors, etc.

Another thought is, what if you could make your own bleach, on demand, for almost nothing? With the right set up, that is totally do-able.

http://www.swimforhim.info/CPU.html

So with a solar cell (or other means of producing voltage), a battery to collect the power, and this kit from Safe Water International Ministries, you can do exactly that. Bleach for sanitizing water (or whatever) on demand, all that is required is a supply of salt which is very stable (indefinite) shelf life and very inexpensive to buy and store, and very safe to handle.

Invisible
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, but at the moment I'm watching Zombieland as I type this!

Post by Invisible » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:56 am

When I started stocking calcium hypochlorite (I bought analytical grade lab stuff), everywhere I read said that it could be stored practically indefinitely if kept cool and dry. Everything except the MSDS that is.

The MSDS was correct; after two years when I opened the sealed container that held the supposedly sealed container of bleach, the rest of the stuff inside had been attacked and ruined by chlorine fumes and I got a good lungful of chlorine (not the first time, due to other stuff I've got up to). The actual tub of calcium hypochlorite still looked sealed!

It's still good stuff to use though, it just needs more thought, care and cycling than some sources suggested.

The CPU is just using the simplest electrolysis reaction of passing a current through salt water. You don't need to buy anything special to do that, you can do it in a cup. I bet that unit uses stainless steel for the electrodes (I hope not, but I bet it does). Don't use stainless steel for electrolysis; it releases chromium compounds which are carcinogenic. Really! Best bet? Use gold! OK, use carbon rods from a used dry cell or soft pencil leads (graphite); that's what I used to use when I was a kid.

As a side effect of the electrolysis, providing you don't use a reactive metal for the electrodes (like aluminium for example), is that the other half of the salt turns into sodium hydroxide... caustic soda! Make yourself some soap with that. Oh, and the other gas coming off in a large quantities is hydrogen. No smoking!

The trouble with this (chlorine) method for making bleach or sterilising water is, how do you tell how much to use? It's much easier to measure out a bit of calcium hypochlorite.
What doesn't kill us, might try again so cut its head off!

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:31 am

So CH will destroy it's container before it degrades is what I'm hearing?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Invisible
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, but at the moment I'm watching Zombieland as I type this!

Post by Invisible » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:20 am

Depends on the container. In my case, the main container was not damaged. Polythene and polypropylene seemed unaffected although I think that polythene can be embrittled by exposure to chlorine gas.

I guess the pressure built up inside the calcium hypochlorite's tub enough to expel the chlorine from it, because the tub did not seem damaged and and lid was still on. It was only the basic sort of tub that's often used for foodstuffs and the like, so probably not much use in an overpressure situation.

Cardboard and paper in the (outer) tub were bleached and metal was discoloured and corroded. Metal foils were corroded right through in places.

Oh... destroy before it degrades... well, it's destroying things because it's degrading/decomposing to give off chlorine.
What doesn't kill us, might try again so cut its head off!

applepie

Post by applepie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Date: 04/25/2017
Can anyone help me understand what Pool Shock I need to purchase. This post talks about "NOT using SUPER shock and swim", but I'm seeing several other things on the internet is saying "high-test granular calcium hypochlorite" (including the epa), but what is the percentage? The SUPER shock and swim is at least 73% calcium hypochlorite and several internet sites is saying this is what you should use. The other HTH Shock and Swim is 47.6% calcium hypochlorite that you listed (I purchased this several years ago) and the current HTH Shock and Swim is 52% calcium hypochlorite which one person says is not enough and the "Other" stuff is the bag is poisonous to humans. So if anyone can help me understand what I need to be purchasing, your comments would be much appreciated. thanks

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 pm

The key thing here is the stabilizer and algaecide that is frequently in these products. What you want is the shock that does not have either stabilizer and/or algaecide in it. Especially anything with copper as an ingredient. Cyanuric Acid is a typical stabilizer.

You want calcium hypochlorite and not dichloroisocyanuric acid (which has stabilizer) or sodium monopersulfate which does not disinfect.

A granular shock like this without cyanuric acid is best for disininfection purposes:
https://clearcomfort.com/a-guide-to-pool-shock/
All pool shock is not created equal

There are two main types of chlorine pool shock that are used in both the residential and commercial pool environment. Note that some have cyanuric acid and some do not. There is also a non-chlorine shock available.

1. Calcium Hypochlorite: Also common known as “cal hypo,” this shock is the most powerful and fastest acting shock available. Both an oxidizer and sanitizer, cal hypo is quick dissolving and is the most frequently used in the pool industry. It will slightly raise your pH, so make sure you adjust pH while using it.

As the name implies, it will also raise your calcium hardness levels in your pool slightly. It is sold in granular or in pucks/tablets. A close relative of calcium hypochlorite is sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach.

2. Dichloroisocyanuric Acid: Also known as “dichlor,” this is another type of chlorine shock. Dichlor contains both chlorine and cyanuric acid and will, over time, raise your cyanuric acid levels. For more information on cyanuric acid, please see our blog post Cyanuric Acid: Friend or Foe. Like cal hypo is it both a sanitizer and an oxidizer, can be purchased in granular or puck form and will slightly lower pool pH.

3. Sodium Monopersulfate: Also known in the pool industry as MPS shock, this shock is an alternative to chlorine shock. MPS is an oxidizer but not a sanitizer. It will remove organic material from the water and will eliminate waste in the water without the unpleasant side effects of chlorine.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 am

Many of the products listed for sale by WallMart show labeling like this:

NOTE: A valid phone number is required to ship this item, you must be present to sign for delivery

68% Available Chlorine (35% Calcium)
Non-stabilized formula is ideal for....

When in doubt, check with the vendor about exactly what is in the material.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Bug Out Gear”