Double Check My Gear

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Country Boy
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD'04

Double Check My Gear

Post by Country Boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am

This list is what I have in my bug out rucksack only. My on person and fighting load are seperate from this. Let me know if I forgot anything. Weight reduction tips are also welcome, and I hope someone has some cause I only weigh 150 and this pack feels a little heavy on top my fighting load.

Medium ALICE with enhanced shoulder straps. ( I cant justify buying a $300+ modern pack when this one works pretty good)
2 MREs broken down, Cliff Bars added to them.
1 Mainstay ration
1qt military canteen w/cup
Camelbak Bladder
1 Bottle Powerade
10 coffee filters
Water Purification and Neutralizer Tablets
Katadyn Water Purifier
3 Trioxane Bars
Magnesium Fire Starter
Fishing line 50yds & Hooks
Lensatic Compass
Signal Mirror
10ft Duct Tape
10 Zip Ties
2 Lighters
Matches in Waterproof Tube
Small Knife Sharpener
100ft Paracord
Spare Boot Laces
1 Signal Flare
1 Smoke Signal
1 Arial Flare
3 Chemlights
Leather work gloves
Gerber Hatchet
Small AM/FM Radio
LED Flashlight
Spare Batteries
First Aid Kit
Hygeine kit
6 Instant heat packs
Survival Book
Notepad & Pens
Otis Weapon Cleaning kit
Tarp
Emergency Bivy Bag inside Goretex Bivy Bag (eliminates the need for a tent or bulky sleeping bag)
Tent Stakes

Spare Clothing:
2 pair Synthetic/polypro socks
ECWS Fleece jacket & pants (will be worn when weather gets colder here)
Goretex Boot Liners
Waterproof Winter Work Gloves
Got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, and a country boy can survive

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Re: Double Check My Gear

Post by aa1pr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 pm

What is your purpose for bugging out?

before I attempt to offer my advice

Country Boy

Post by Country Boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:28 pm

aa1pr wrote:What is your purpose for bugging out?

before I attempt to offer my advice
Thats one of the things I just cant decide on. They're so many lol. Lets go with: Too dangerous to stay at home (for whatever reason) so heading to my primary BOL thats is 2 miles from town in a secluded wooded area.

dragon rouge
Favorite Zombie Movies: omega man

Post by dragon rouge » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:50 pm

I would ditch the hatchet and add a small folding saw and a good 12 to 14 inch machete You would pair off a few ounces and gain some utility both, Cold Steel and Condor both make a barong style which would double as a more than passing fighter CS uses 1055 steel Condor 1075 In my opinion 1075 is a heap better, Ontario uses 1095 which is better still

dragon rouge
Favorite Zombie Movies: omega man

Post by dragon rouge » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm

A couple more thoughts that come to mind is ditch the tarp and go with a poncho It will double as a tarp and keep you and your gear dry while hoofing it Also have you ever used the magnesium fire starter under field conditions? They are a pain in the ass. If you decide to stick with magnesium try taking a coarse file and shave off a good bit at home and vacume sealing it

NorthernAlpine

Post by NorthernAlpine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm

A few come to mind, but all in all your Alice is pretty solid across the boards. My .02 is:

-Stuff Sacks, Stuff Sacks, uh, Stuff Sacks - space saver for all your gear. Will double the amount of space you have to pack with.
-Seal Line Dry bags. Keep all your crap undoubtedly dry, and add buoyancy to your bob incase you decide to fall in the drink.
-Ditch the ECWS Fleece (I'm assuming you're talking about the 'bear' suit) unless you are looking at sub zero temps, replace with standard poly pro or something similar, will cut down on a buttload of space. Maybe add a 'ninja' suit and mid-weight poly pros. Layers are your buddy.
-Bungee chords, small ones. They'll save your 550 when your setting up your hooch and double as a way to fasten extra crap (sleeping pad/tent) to your ruck
-Leave room for things that go Boom!

On second thought, maybe pack your all of your winterish gear in a 'secondary' or contingency stuff sack to add to your BOB. I did with all my but my goretex top/bottom and it can snap on to my BOB via snaplink at a moments notice.
Northern Alpine
"Two wrongs don't make a right Danny, but three rights make a left" - Ty Webb

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Use pencils instead of pens. Pens run when wet. Pencils don't. Pics would help.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 am

I have a couple of thoughts off the top of my head....

-I might have missed this, but I see a knife sharpener yet no knife. Maybe get a good fixed blade? Something like a Mora is inexpensive, but works well
-Along with the knife, how about a multi-tool? Even if you carry one all the time I would think about adding a small one like a Leatherman Squirt, just incase you don't have your multi-tool in your pocket when bugging out.

-Rain gear. I don't see any. Again, I could have missed this, and I don't know your climate, but I would at least add a poncho or light rain jacket you can roll up.

-Maybe a whistle. I like having one in my kits, and on all my lifejackets.

-How long are is this kit for, 24hrs, 48, 72? Maybe add some more food. 2 MRE's, 1 mainstay, and some cliff bars isn't a ton of food for 3 days. I would also think about ditching the bottle of Poweraid and getting some nuun or other powdered electrolyte replacement supplement you can add to your water. It will save a little space/weight.

-This isn't a big deal, but maybe just carry more para cord instead of the boot laces. IMO para cord is more useful.

Pretty good list so far. Post up some pics though! :)

Country Boy

Post by Country Boy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 pm

NorthernAlpine wrote:A few come to mind, but all in all your Alice is pretty solid across the boards. My .02 is:

-Stuff Sacks, Stuff Sacks, uh, Stuff Sacks - space saver for all your gear. Will double the amount of space you have to pack with.
-Seal Line Dry bags. Keep all your crap undoubtedly dry, and add buoyancy to your bob incase you decide to fall in the drink.
-Ditch the ECWS Fleece (I'm assuming you're talking about the 'bear' suit) unless you are looking at sub zero temps, replace with standard poly pro or something similar, will cut down on a buttload of space. Maybe add a 'ninja' suit and mid-weight poly pros. Layers are your buddy.

On second thought, maybe pack your all of your winterish gear in a 'secondary' or contingency stuff sack to add to your BOB. I did with all my but my goretex top/bottom and it can snap on to my BOB via snaplink at a moments notice.
Already got the space saver bags. Then put them inside heavy duty zip lock bags to make them more puncture resistant. MY ECWS is the black fleece. With it on over top the polypro and underneath GoreTex parka and pants, Im warm even when the wind chill is in the negatives. Also, this is my winter setup. The clothing is in a MOLLE sleep carrier attached to the bottom of the pack.

I have a Gerber multi-tool and a 6" KABAR. I carry a poncho and tarp so that I can have cover overhead and a barrier underneath my bivy bag. Makes sense?

So basically, Im not missing anything important?

NorthernAlpine

Post by NorthernAlpine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Country it sounds like you're tracking across the boards. I dig the ECWCS gear, I ran it up in Alaska in the -40's and was fine. Sounds like the best thing you can do is give her a go via hunting/camping trip and see if you can get fire/water/food/shelter and be happy with the set up. The only way to really know what your missing is to not have it when you want it lol
Northern Alpine

Country Boy

Post by Country Boy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:31 pm

NorthernAlpine wrote:Country it sounds like you're tracking across the boards. I dig the ECWCS gear, I ran it up in Alaska in the -40's and was fine. Sounds like the best thing you can do is give her a go via hunting/camping trip and see if you can get fire/water/food/shelter and be happy with the set up. The only way to really know what your missing is to not have it when you want it lol
I agree. I done a couple day hikes, but no over-nighters. Ive been trying to make it to the Hickory Creek Wilderness in Allegheny NF. But between civilian work, Reserve weekends, 2 deployments, and a nagging girlfriend that thinks "being prepared" is a stupid waste of time, I just havnt made it there yet

NorthernAlpine

Post by NorthernAlpine » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Country Boy wrote:
NorthernAlpine wrote:Country it sounds like you're tracking across the boards. I dig the ECWCS gear, I ran it up in Alaska in the -40's and was fine. Sounds like the best thing you can do is give her a go via hunting/camping trip and see if you can get fire/water/food/shelter and be happy with the set up. The only way to really know what your missing is to not have it when you want it lol
I agree. I done a couple day hikes, but no over-nighters. Ive been trying to make it to the Hickory Creek Wilderness in Allegheny NF. But between civilian work, Reserve weekends, 2 deployments, and a nagging girlfriend that thinks "being prepared" is a stupid waste of time, I just havnt made it there yet

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest shit I've heard in a while...Country, my wife has been telling me for years that my post-deployment pelican cases I use to hold my 'being prepared' stuff is worth about as much as your gf thinks it is. When we started to have power outages in the last few years during winter, she hasn't said anything about enjoying the fruits of my labors since a bad one late last year. Stick with it man...Thank you for serving.

RLTW
Northern Alpine

Cu Chulainn

Post by Cu Chulainn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:43 am

Country Boy wrote: Also, this is my winter setup. The clothing is in a MOLLE sleep carrier attached to the bottom of the pack.
. . .
So basically, Im not missing anything important?
Taking this into consideration. . .

You might want to think about replacing the Med ALICE with a MOLLE RIfleman's pack. I've done the "Hellcat" ALICE mods, and, IMO the MOLLE pack on MOLLE frame works much better, and they are fairly cheap as surplus now. You get an actual hip belt and load lifters on the frame. The top ruck is between the Med and Large ALICE in size, the Claymore pocket on the outside is a grat place to carry items you access often, or small items you don't want to search the main ruck for. The Sustainment pouches on the sides hold a lot, are detachable to be used as shoulder bags with a sling, and the SealLine MOLLE Mac sacks are tough dry bags that fit them perfectly.

I'd replace the bottle of Powerade, by getting several packets of electrolyte mix (the Vitalyte sold at REI is a very good mix), to be mixed int eh canteen cup. You can probably carry two dozen servings in the space and weight of a bottle of Powerade.

Purification tabs and neutralizer? I assume you're using Iodine tabs. I'd go with the Katadyn MP1 chlorine dioxide tablets instead. No neutralizers needed, no iodine uptake problems, it just makes the water taste like city water, whereas iodine makes it taste like shitty water.

How about spare shirt(s) and pants? Fall in the drink (or just want to wash the crusties you're in), it's good to have a spare set.
Wool beanie hat (watchcap)? Invaluable.
I see you have warm and cold weather work gloves. IMO a good pair of mittens work better when you are not exerting yourself.
IMO I'd also replace the polypro with wool. Wool is heavier, but is more spark resistant (no melting through if a wood sprite lands on you -- so you can get closer to the fire), the act of wool drying is actually slightly exothermic, and it still insulates OK if it's wet. Another big plus is it doesn't STANK like polypro does after about 20 minutes.

Not sure that a 6" Ka-Bar and a Gerber hatchet would be my tool kit. I'd go with a tomahawk over the Gerber hatchet. I can hear the groans, but hear me out. It chops just fine for the size wood you'll be cutting (general rule is wrist sized or smaller), good for about the same size wood the Gerber is. The handle is easily replaced. The head and haft can be stored separately in the bag. You can get them cheap (Cold Steel), and the CS ones are 1055 steel, which is fairly soft, so it's easily sharpened, and will tend to roll the edge, rather than chip or break. The Gerber hatchets have had QC problems with the steel, and the handles breaking (especially in the cold), more often than the Fiskars hatchet, which should be the same, as Fiskars owns Gerber, but apparently, they aren't exactly the same.

I would second the notion of the 12 inch machete. It's probably one of the most versatile bushcraft type tools available, useful for everything from butchering game to shelter construction to notch carving and such. Throw in a small fixed blade or a good folder for detail work and you've got it all.

I don't think you're missing anything critical, but some of the things can be traded out for better as money permits.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:05 am

Dude, if you are only bugging out 2 miles from your town-GO CACHE ALL YOUR STUFF!
Get some decent buckets and spend a few Sunday afternoons out digging holes and burying crap. Then when you have to leave, you take your fighting gear and a small pack of essentials. You'll make it there fit and fast, feeling on top form while still leaving yourself mobile for self defense.
That just seems like common sense to me.
Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

Country Boy

Post by Country Boy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for the opinions. While i dont agree with them all, I think its nice to know alternative ideas. Caching is a great idea, but Im hoping to be buying a house out in the farmland next year. So Im not ready to bury supplies just yet.

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Post by blarp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am

If you want cold weather gear. Id go lightweight. Ninja. Or underarmor style. It was just fine for me in upstate ny at ft drum with windchill of neg 40 in the field at times. I enjoy the cold tho. Its very warm. Tiny space wise and lightweight. Lairs is best for cold weather gear low space light weight over something heavy.

Personaly i hate leaving a load of gear dug in some where. I now have 3 bags and one foot locker( if can be moved) in case i gota get out and cant come back. My ruck. Aka long term. My bob. And my ammo bag.
Do what ever fits how you can find carry and do things best for you.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:06 am

Eastern Ohio get's pretty cold during the winter & it's fair amount of snow. My question is have you ever used this setup to go camping with before? That's one of the best ways to see if it's compatible for you as a BOB. Keep the weight at or just below 1/3 of your body weight unless you're one of those super fit people. Carrying a too heavy pack may cause additional problems while you're trying to BugOut. Strained back or shoulders, sprained knee, ankles - I carried a 70lb pack on a winter overnighter and strained my knee so bad I ended up going to the ER the next day.

I'd have to go along with these suggestions:
1) having a spare set of clothing - even if it's a set of polypro tops/bottoms & wool socks vacuum packed to change into if you do get wet or to change into before going to sleep. I've always did this during winter campouts - I go at least 2-3 times a winter. Your clothing you wear during the day gets saturated with sweat that sucks the heat from you once you stop moving. I always strip down into polyprop when winter camping. summer camping, I change into a set of surgical scrubs before bed.

2) Cache some items at your BOL. Two 5gal buckets are easy to hide & can contain many more items to make it more comfortable, tarp, more food, medical supplies, spare set of clothing bought at goodwill or clothing you've not worn in a couple of years. Just with stuff sitting around the house I've put together several bucket caches easily. BOL Caches are supposed to be disposable anyway so if you can't get to it, it's not a huge loss. It's not like you put your most prized firearm or family heirloom into it.

3) Food. Those Mainstay bars are designed for people who are doing no physical activity at all. I've tried to do a full weekend off of a 3600cal ration pack and I was famished and cranky by nightfall on the first day. 1200 calories a day just doesn't keep you fueled when doing physical activity. Adding instant soup mixes (not ramen noodles), oatmeal packets and slim jims does far more for me then the food ration bars.

4) Shelter - (I'm assuming you only have the bivy sack & not the whole MSS bag system on this) the gore-tex bivy sack is great for keeping dry, but adding one of those metalized paper thin bivy sack will only cause you to sweat inside the shell & keep you awake by all the potato chip bag noise every time you move around. I've stopped carrying those bivy bags/blankets a long time ago and opted for a wool or fleece blanket, a heavier all weather space blanket/casuality blanket or a lightweight sleeping bag. Winter in Ohio get's damn cold and wet at times. I just can't see Bugging out without at least a heavy wool blanket, gore-tex bivy bag & a tarp.

5) A folding saw & large blade knife is so much better then a small hand axe. If you're trying to be 'stealthly', the constant chopping sound of a axe onto wood carries a lot farther then the sawing motion. The large blade knife, you can baton wood, use as a small hand axe (up to about 4" dia trees), lash into a spear etc.

Just my worthless thoughts.
Not to be a jerk but you may also want to read this paper on "Backpack Fever" by Duncan Long. http://duncanlong.com/science-fiction-f ... ckpack.htm
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”