It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 pm 

It's that time! This is the offical entry thread for our Autumn contest.

For the 2011 Autumn Mock Bug Out, we will be focusing on using our minimalist gear. The contest will run from 23 Sept 2011 til 31 Oct 2011. There is only one rule for this contest:

Ten Items, Make The Most of It!

a lot of people wrote:
But Sigboy, I don't get it, what does that mean?

It's really simple, for this contest we don't care how long you stay out. We dont care how far you walk. We don't even care where you go, just as long as it's outside. You take ten essential items, you go outside and show us what you can do. Want to carry a First Aid Kit? It counts as one. Your clothes do not count. Anything in your pockets counts. Whatever you decide to carry your items in DOES NOT count. Want to use a full size pack? Go for it, the pack doesn't count. Want to wrap all your items up in a wool blanket? Go for, because you are carrying everything in the blanket, it doesn't count. If you want to use Kerlix and Neosporin to start a fire, go for it, they came out of you FAK and don't count as extra.
Judging will focus on what you actually do with your items, whether this be old school bushcraft or something new and exciting, its all up to you.

anonymous wrote:
But Sigboy, I cant do it with just ten items!

Need more then ten items? Okay, take them, just tell us why. Be honest, nobody is telling you to go freeze your butt off just to win a silly Internet contest. Nobody is telling you to be unsafe or take a risk that you otherwise wouldnt. If you want to get carried away- HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE!

Note:This thread is for entries only, please take all discussion to the planning thread:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81888&start=168

Your esteemed judges for this contest are:
Sigboy40
Canadian Guy
KnightoftheRoc
alternate judge:
Scurvy

The ten essentials links:
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/ten+essentials.html#Final_Thoughts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRFIvsuf4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials
http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

Prizes:
quazi- Maxpedition RAT wallet
ninja-elbow- Mora knife
Woods Walker-Mora 511 with light forced patina, paracord sheath wrap and DIY breakaway paracord neck loop.
Blackdog-nice flash light or head lamp
Scurvy- Titanium Sporks (3)
Maldon007-homemade knives for the top three
KnightoftheRoc wrote:

It's really simple- shoot for just ten, try to focus on bushcraft, and don't over think this. Now go have fun, ya crazy kids- get outta here!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Last edited by Keith B on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 am 

Originally posted at http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=84155

Saturday 0-dark:30
Reluctantly wake up, get ready, and start loading pack and maps into vehicle.

06:45
On the road finally. Running a bit late. About 30 minutes later hear a voice come over the handheld radio. It is Scott. We hook up while driving down the highway and proceed south out of Cleveland to Caldwell. In Caldwell, we’ll get off the highway and make our way back to Lamping Homestead; an area within the Wayne National Forest here in OH. Along the way we find a Wal-Mart and pull in to pick up a hunting license for Scott: squirrel season came in on the 1st of the month. We’re soon back on the road.

~10:30
Finally make Lamping Homestead. Don our packs and head into the forest. About a mile or so in we spot a prospective campsite. It is a couple hundred yards up the side of a hill. We begin making our way uphill. Once the prospective site is reached we begin setting up camp.

Scott is using a dome style tent he brought. Scott can post and describe his setup/gear if he wishes.

Local scenery and Scotts tent to the right.

Local scenery and Scotts tent to the left.

I’m experimenting so I’m using an 6x8 tarp staked at two corners and the third corner tied up to a tree to form a lean-to. The remaining corner of the tarp is draped back over the tarp out of the way so I have a clear view of the trees and sky above. If it starts to rain, I can pull it over and stake it down. A GI poncho for a ground cloth, Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest pad, pillow, and sleeping bag complete my sleeping arrangements.

My sleeping arangements.

My sleeping arangements.

Next we constructed a fire ring between the two tents for cooking and because no campout is complete without a campfire. While gathering the stones, we found a couple of salamanders under one of the rocks. We moved the salamanders a good distance from the camp so they wouldn’t wander into the campfire or get stepped on.

One of two salamanders that were living under a rock we were using for the fire ring.

The other salamander that was living under a rock we were using for the fire ring.

Campsite completed we head out to explore the forest. I’ve got my compass and a map in my pocket just in case but don’t expect to need/use it. On our way back down the hill we cut some blazes into some recently downed trees so we can find our campsite later. From the trail below we can see no sign of our camp. Along the way I find a few clumps of sassafras saplings. At each one I pull one of the saplings, leaving the rest of the saplings there to grow. I’ll use them for sassafras tea. Towards the end of the hike we come across a pine grove. Scott gathers some of the dried pine needles and downed branches for use later in starting the campfire. I gather a small branch of fresh green pine needles from one of the trees for making some pine needle tea.

We finally wander back into camp. First order of business is to start a fire. We gather firewood, kindling, and tinder from the immediate area. Once sufficient wood is gathered, I get out my firesteel. Try as we might we just couldn’t get the tinder to catch. Came close once but just wasn’t cooperating. Didn’t feel like going out again in search of dryer tinder/kindling so I get an esbit cube out of my pack and put it inside a stack of tinder/kindling and light it with a lighter.

Scott is munching on his trail mix and I dig an Uncle Ben’s rice bag and some tortilla shells out of the pack. Dump the rice in the pan from my mess, add some water to keep it from scorching, and heat it up over an esbit tab in the esbit stove. While that is heating I peel the outer layer of bark from the sassafras that I found earlier, break it up, and put it and some water in the pot from the mess kit. Set the pot on the fire to boil while eating burritos.

I finish eating and toss the little bit of remaining rice way down the hill. Time for a smoke. Dig a cigar (a Kuba Kuba by Drew Estates) out of my pack and light it. Scott heads to his tent to lay down and relax a bit. I wander away from camp along what appears to be a trail that has not been used in a very long time. I am very much enjoying my cigar as well as the sights, smells, and sounds of the woods. The sun is starting to set and I think “what a wonderful end to a great day in the woods”.

Cigar finished and sun setting I climb into my sleeping bag and watch the campfire a while before falling asleep.

Morning came entirely too soon. Having used the esbit tabs the night before, I decided to try one of the other items in my pack to start the fire for breakfast. Created a pile of tinder and kindling and squirted hand sanitizer onto it. Lit easily and soon had enough flame/coals to brew some pine needle tea. Boiled the water and needles in my USGI cup.

Boiling some pine needles for tea with breakfast.

While waiting on the water to come to a boil, I noticed a squirrel running around on the ground a short distance up the hill. Scott heads off in pursuit. Me, I pack some of my stuff in my pack and eat a powerbar with my tea. After Scott returns having seen neither hide nor hair of the squirrel, we finish packing up our gear and douse the fire. The trip back to the cars goes quickly.

At the trail head we toss our packs in our vehicles and prepare to leave. Before we do though I want to go check out a spot I’d been to a couple of weeks ago with the wife. When she and I were there we had found a bunch of puffball mushrooms but forgot to pick any of them before we left. Just for giggles I went to see if any were left. There weren’t. I turn to go back to the car and in the tall grass at the edge of the clearing is the biggest puffball I’ve ever seen. Knowing how much my wife likes mushrooms I pick it figuring it will keep me out of the doghouse for at least a couple of weeks. Puffball safely nestled on the floor in the backseat of the car we depart and head to the highway and home.

Puffball mushroom I found on the way out.

Could not have asked for a better weekend for camping. Temps on Saturday were a high of 70 with lows in the mid to upper 40’s. Sunday was mid to upper 50’s on the way out. A few clouds in the sky both days but no precipitation. Just a hint of a breeze to keep things fresh. Saturday night the sky was clear. Scott and I were both hoping more of the ZS folks from Ohio would be able to join us but the company was good and we’ll be planning more outings in the near future.

Biggest lesson learned (for me) was that gathering good tinder is very important and may not be easily available in the area immediately around the campsite. However, I had suitable alternatives in my pack so it was not an issue.

Another take away for me was that the more I use a tarp and simple shelters the less inclined I am to ever want to use a tent. No matter how light the tent, it is just damned tough to beat sleeping under the stars. During the winter I’ll probably stick with a good tent. However, during the other three seasons I’ll do my best to stick with a tarp and, when needed, mosquito netting.

As can be seen from the gear list below, lots of stuff got brought but not used. Is only my third real backpacking trip (as opposed to driving to a remote location and camping with gear in back of truck or canoeing and camping along the way) but each time my gear list is getting shorter and the pack is getting lighter. Of course getting in better shape would also go a long way in making the pack lighter.

Still can’t get a handle on packing food. I pack what seems like a reasonable amount of food for the trip and always wind up with lots left over. Just don’t seem to eat as much when on the trail.

Not sure what you guys want to count as items towards item count and what is just there (like food and water?) but the list below shows what was used and how.

Gear Brought (Gear actually used while in the woods is bolded and red):

Pack
USGI MOLLE II Ruck Carried all my stuff. Bit heavy but is comfortable and rugged.

Fire
Fire Steel Tried using but tinder just didn't cooperate. :oops:
Waterproof Matches
Esbit Stove Used to boil some water for pine needle tea.
Esbit Cubes Used as firestarter and to boil some water.
Lighter (EDC)

Shelter
550 Cord Securing branch to tree trunk for shelter.
E Blanket
Tarp (6'x8')
(4) Steel Tent Stakes

Water
(2) SS Bottles (27oz each)
Hydration Pack (100oz) - Attached to ruck

Cooking/Eating
Mess Kit
Spork
USGI Canteen Cup Used for drinking as well as boiling water for meals.

Toilet
Trowel
Toilet Paper
Hand Sanitizer Used for firestarter and *gasp* hand sanitizer.
Bags
Wet Wipes

Personal
Bug Wipes
Wisps
Saline
Contact Case
Spare Glasses
Cigars (Kuba Kuba by Drew Estates and a Hampton Court (?) by Macanudo) Didn’t smoke the Macanudo. Yes, a good cigar is an essential item when sitting around a camp fire. :D
Bourbon (in small platypus style bag, couple ounces of Maker’s Mark or it might be Bookers. Can’t remember.)

Misc.
Compass
GPS
Fixed Blade Knife "Camp MUK" by Blind Horse Knives. Used for cutting blazes and food prep.
Folding Blade Knife (EDC)
Notebook
Pen
Sharpie
1911 (EDC)
Spare Magazine (EDC)
hiking poles Just for hiking. Not needed for shelter, this time.
USGI Poncho Used for ground cloth in shelter.
Bow Saw
Headlamp
Flashlight (EDC)
Compact binoculars

Sleep
PJ Bottoms
Sleeping Bag
Ridge Rest pad by Therm-a-Rest

Clothes - Worn
Hiking Boots
Thick Socks
Underwear
Long John Bottoms (base layer)
Cargo Pants
Belt
UnderArmor Shirt (base layer)
T-Shirt
Thermal Top

Clothes - Carried
1pr Thick Socks
1pr Underwear
Blaze Beanie Was hunting season after all.
Thermal Top
T-Shirt

Food
Beef Jerky
Dehydrated Apples
salt
pepper
(2) Cup-O-Soup packs
(4) Coffee Singles
(4) Drink mix singles
(2) Power Bars Only ate one.
(1) Uncle Ben’s Rice Bag
(6) Tortillas
(1) PB packets
(1) Dehydrated Hash Browns
(1) Bannock bread mix
(1) Cooking oil, small bottle
(1) Beefy Noodles mix

***** RECIPES *****
Both mixes prepared by myself, not bought.

Bannock Bread Mix (for 2 people)
* 1 cup flour
* 1 moderately heaping teaspoon of baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

At home: Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large freezer bag.

On the trail: Add water to get proper bread dough consistency. Form hockey puck size biscuits and fry with a little bit of oil in pan or peal the bark from the end of a green branch, wrap the dough around the branch, and bake over hot coals. Can also be used as a basic dough for many, many different things, just add other ingredients such as raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon, etc.

Beefy Noodles
* 4 tablespoons shredded beef jerky
* 1 3-ounce package ramen noodles
* 1 1-ounce package instant onion soup
* 2 tablespoon mixed dehydrated vegetables (dehydrated by self)
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika ( * original recipe calls for crushed red pepper. I added paprika.)
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro (grown and dehydrated by self)
* 1 Beef Bullion Cube ( * original recipe calls for 1-2 packets soy sauce. I added the bullion cube.)

At home: Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large freezer bag.

On the trail: Boil 2 cups of water. Add water to bag and stir. Let noodles soften and vegetables rehydrate for about 5 minutes. Season with soy sauce to taste.

Serves 2

ZS Fleet # - 0183

Last edited by WY_Not on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I'd like to add:

This contest is less about what 10 items you brought and more about what you can do. At least, that's how I'm going about it. :) Good luck y'all! Be safe, have fun and learn a thing or 4.

Phase I - The Gear

The 10 Essentials
1. Navigation
compass, map, notepad, Sharpie

2. Sun protection
Shmagh, vial of sunscreen, sunglasses

3. Insulation
Here's the biggy, lacking in these are, more than likely, what will kill you in the woods.
l-r: fleece fingerless gloves, wool watch cap, "ranger roll" or 8x8 tarp and woobie (top) and rain jacket (bottom), wool socks and buff

4. Illumination
My 2 new favorite things -- Coleman LED flashlight (90 lumens) and a Coleman headlamp. Both run off AAAs and I have spares packed also.

5. First aid supplies
Kit that will help with bleeding, boo boos (and ookie tummy), diarhea, pain management.

6. Fire
Standard kit here: ferro, lighter, storm matches with WetFire (sure fire), PJ cotton, and fatwood chunk ... that I can find now anyways.

7. Repair kit / tools
Standard dirt time stuff.
l-r: Mora with neck cord (and whistle and tweezers), multitool, zip ties, 30' duct tape, 50' cord, airmatress repair kit.... just hte best place for this to be whether I have an airmatress with me or not. These have always gone out with me in some form or other.

8. Nutrition
An MRE entree and some tea fixins.

9. Hydration
SS bottle and nestled SS cup, 1 litre bladder, 6 oxi-tabs.

10. Emergency Shelter
My ranger roll again. Canteen Shop (Dave Canterbury) 8x8 light tarp and a USGI poncho liner plus a bungee. Also has cordage tied off on the corners of tarp already. Also a contractor bag.

Now, some of you may be confused. "NE, that's like 35 items on your 10 essentials list!" and you are correct. As per doctrine "essential" is a concept and not a single item as has been mentioned a few times in various threads. I have always followed concept over item. I will do so in this contest also.

Heading into the woods Friday morning on September 30th. Here's my 10 essentials in the day ruck:
Picked up a Molle II assault pack on SG for $25 last winter. I think I got the last woodland as it was sold out right after I ordered it. Kind of like that little guy.

Last edited by ninja-elbow on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Best of luck everyone. :D

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:00 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Patch organization thread.

I'm also going to cover the cost of the patch for our winners.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Last edited by BullOnParade on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm 

Went and scouted out a spot today. Found a great place and its only an hour hike from the house.

Last edited by Takaaco78 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Food items? How is that counted? All items just one?

Vehicle counts as an item? And what of the items within said vehicle that are part of the vehicle such as the tire iron, spare(you get my meaning)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:07 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

doitnstyle1 wrote:

Vehicle counts as an item? And what of the items within said vehicle that are part of the vehicle such as the tire iron, spare(you get my meaning)

I'm planning on counting "food" as an item on my list. Not 1 - granola bar, 2 - ramen ...

Also, I'm driving to the location, but not starting the contest until I'm out of the vehicle, so I'm not counting it. If you bring something from the vehicle, let us know.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm 

Im in!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 pm 

I'm in. Thanks for getting this together. I'm planning on bugging out on October 1. One of my 10 items will be a canoe ;).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:10 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

BullOnParade wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:

I'm planning on counting "food" as an item on my list. Not 1 - granola bar, 2 - ramen ...

Also, I'm driving to the location, but not starting the contest until I'm out of the vehicle, so I'm not counting it. If you bring something from the vehicle, let us know.

I am not packing food or water.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am 

Perfect timing!
I've been pushing real hard this summer into ultralight backpacking so this should give me another excuse to head out into the bush! Looking forward to seeing the minimalist entries! Best of luck to all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am 

Well if all goes according to plan and I don't get an extra shift at the PT job I will be going out this coming monday for my MBO. This will be the first ever MBO I've done so should be interesting. I own a SPOT GPS Messenger so I'm going to see if I can figure all that out to create a google map record of my trip so you can see where I went.

[EDIT Sept 27] Should have excepted it, real life got in the way for monday. On to plan B.[/EDIT]

Last edited by The Observer on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 pm 

Glad to see there's some entries in already- Good luck, everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 pm 

I have received permission to show the prizes I'm donating!!

No gold, silver, or bronze ( that stuff is too heavy anyways ).
I went with custom etched titanium with the bragging rights on display whenever you sit down for a meal.

Good luck to all,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm 

^^ Nice! Gotta love sporks, a utensil and a weapon :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

nice prizes scurvy! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 pm 

Awesome! I'll have my entry done next week. Headed out on Sunday afternoon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:20 pm 

Awesome! I'll just reserve my spot now.
Well as much as I hate it, I won't be playing in this one. Just not enough of a time window for me. Life's to busy. Maybe next time.

Last edited by Beowulff1013 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

EDIT Oct 30. (and it still isnt a valid entry. Oh well.)

Part One: The reasoning behind my choices

First, let me state that the challenge of the Autumn MBO, trying to minimise my kit to 10 essential items, has been a real eye-opener for me. It has caused me to re-think my whole approach to prepping in general. Although I consider myself a bit of a bushcrafter, I have always been a gear nut, and a lot of weight and space in my BOB are taken up with gadgets. This contest forced me to rethink whether all of those bells and whistles are actually necessary.

Interestingly, as I worked over and over through my gear choices, I realized I was actually coming up with two lists. One, a modern, minimalist variation of a "Get Home Bag". with lightweight and time-saving solutions to most of my needs. "High Speed, Low Drag" came to mind a lot as I was working on the kit. The other setup kept leaning towards an old school mimimalism, a'la Nessmuk. Heavy but reliable gear. Lots of tools to help craft the items I would need in a longer outing. In short, a "bushcraft" setup. Interestingly, while I am confident that the modern setup would work great for an overnight hike/Get Home situation, I feel that the bushcraft rig, while differing in only a few general items, would be sufficent for a significantly longer timeframe, as long as my bushy skills were up to the task!

For the purposes of this contest, I wound up going with my modern kit.

Early on as I was working on my gear lists and needs, I decided that it was better, at first anyway, to back away from an actual "10 items" list, and think more from a "rule of 3's" setup. Assuming I would have air (no deep sea diving for me) I needed:

Shelter/security
Water
Food

Even at this early stage, this is pretty much where the modern and oldschool thought processes started to diverge. Although the needs remain the same, the way that each is achieved differs greatly between the two styles. Since I am going with the modern kit for this contest, I will deal with it exclusively for the rest of my post.

Anything that doesnt directly support one of the 3 essentials would be extra weight, and not needed. Also, since this is a "bug out" kit, I need to assume that I am actually bugging out FROM something! So, moving fast is a big plus - keeping the kit lightweight and easy to manage is essential. In addition, time is of the essense in a bugout/get home situation. When setting up camp, I dont want to have to waste an hour or two of valuable daylight to cut saplings and build a shelter. I need to have everything go up in minutes - and keep me comfortable and dry so I can rest, and be ready for another day of moving fast. Water is a good example: a couple of iodine tabs is quicker and easier than boiling water. Ditto foods: they need to be quick and easy. For a 24 hour bugout, I dont want to spend a couple hours setting traps, or putting out trotlines, then the time to clean game, cook it, and the like. For 3 days, maybe. But 24 hours? Prepackaged meals FTW. Also, instead of needing to build a fire a couple of times a day for purifying water, preparing food, and the like, I decided to go with an esbit stove. Small and lightweight, and pretty much bulletproof, the stove will allow me to heat water for a meal in a few minutes, with the added advantage of being stealthy. I love campfires, but being able to eat a warm meal without HAVING to have a fire, is a big plus.

So, with all this in mind, my modern minimalist GHB kit:

1.Shelter:

Poncho/tarp. The poncho is one of the ultimate multiuse items. When used as a tarp, it provides enough cover to keep me dry in all but the most severe weather. While I am moving, it keeps me and my gear dry. combined with a lightweight hammock, it is a complete lightweight shelter system. It can be used for water collection, for a sun shade, pack cover, etc. In my case, a campmor silnylon backpacking poncho does what I need.

Hammock: For me, a hammock is a truly essential piece of kit - the older I get, the more my back dislikes laying in the dirt. A hammock keeps me off the cold/wet/buggy ground, and I get a great restful nights' sleep, every time. A few of my hammocks have built in bugnets for warm weather, once it cools off I switch back to more simple models. In this instance, a very basic, yet quite comfortable Grand Trunk traveller hammock fits the bill.

Sleeping bag. Now that the nights are getting cooler, I prefer carrying my Western Mountaineering Caribou down sleeping bag; it is light weight, packs small, and is rated to 20 degrees. In weather above 40 deg, it works great just as a bit of an underside-warmer, with me mostly unzipped above. Cooler weather, I just zip up and am comfortable into the 30s. Below that, I unzip again and use it as a topquilt, and bring a nice down underquilt to finish the setup. But yea, early fall in my AO, this is more than enough.

Multitool. for shelter building, cookwork, and the odd camp chore, there is nothing better than a quality multitool. I use a Leatherman Skeletool as my primary tool most of the time at work, and it goes with me every time I am out hiking. It is simple, elegant, and has everything I MUST have for a quick bugout. It isnt a big fixed blade chopper, but if I am moving fast and trying to get home, do I need my big honkin' knife? Not really.

Flashlight. Not technically a shelter item at first glance, but it extends the timeline and usefulness of almost everything else I carry. It will allow me to keep working after sundown, giving me a few more miles before I have to put up my shelter. (which would be terribly annoying in pitch darkness) In this case, a Fenix E21 2xAA flshlight. Bright, lightweight, and I made sure to put in brand new batteries just before leaving.

Firekit. A firesteel, and 6 Esbit tabs. Compact and lightweight, the Esbits give me a reliable method for boiling water, which is really all I will be doing with this setup. Im not even worrying about a stove. I will simply dig a small hole, or gather a few small rocks to set my cup above the tab. The Esbits also make awesome firestarters, if I get a chance for a real campfire. I am carrying them in a waterproof cellphone carrier, which helps keep the fishy smell down. Unless I have to put my phone in there, which is something I dont want to have to think about. Also, have a Ti spork as my sole eating utensil.

2.Water:

A bandanna and Aqua-pur water purification tabs. Bandanna filters the big stuff, Aquapur kills the little stuff. Simple to use, never breaks down, effective in any but the coldest weather. What more can be said?

Camelbak stainless steel "better bottle" 3/4 Liter. Slightly heavier than a regular nalgene-esqe plastic bottle, but it is sturdy enough to take a beating and still do its job, and you can toss it in the campfire to boil water, if you dont have access to filters or purification tabs. I like multiuse gear.

1L Plastic water bottle. Kindly provided by the guys at Gatorade, this is my water collection bottle. Fairly small opening makes it easy to prefilter with a bandanna or even my shirt sleeve, it is uncolored plastic, so I can evaluate how much particulate matter is in it, it is super lightweight so no hassle to carry, and darn sturdy to boot. Pure win as far as I am concerned. I started off my 24 hours with this bottle full of tap water. A few wraps of duct tape finish it off.

Snow*peak 600 single wall cup. Gives me a few options for meal prep and of course my morning coffee. The Camelbak nests nicely in it, so not much wasted space.

3. Food: A handful of clif bars, A mountain house meal, and some oatmeal come in at almost 1500 calories - enough to keep me moving for 24 hours.

Coffee: Starbucks Via coffee packs make life worth living.

So, converting from my "big 3" list to a "10 essentials" kit, wound up something like this:

1. poncho
2. hammock
3. sleeping bag
4. multitool
5. flashlight
6. firekit with esbit tabs
7. water purification.
8. water bottles and cup
9. food
10. coffee

For those of you who ask: For a quick get home bag, I skipped on carrying a full first aid kit. My reasoning is that I could never carry EVERYTHING I could possibly need, so I may as well only have the critical essentials for short term needs. My belt, my bandanna, some paracord from my boots or the hammock suspension, and duct tape from my water bottle, pretty much cover all the simple needs of a FAK, and I already have them on hand. So, the FAK became something of an unneeded item, for this particular kit anyway.

As it turns out, all this stuff fit fairly well in my 5.11 PUSH shoulder bag, with the exception of the sleeping bag, I shoved it in a nice waterproof stuff sack, added a few straps to the push bag, and I was ready to bug out. The whole kit is compact, easy to carry, and at only 12 pounds 14 oz (with both water bottles filled!) just barely below the maximum weight I prefer for a single strap bag. I am confident I could carry this for a long hike no problem.

Part Two: Some pics, and (kinda) getting out with the stuff

Sadly for my bugout attempt, I was extremely limited on time. I had orginally planned to do a nice long hike and an overnight stay in the nearby National Forest, but was stuck at work til really late last night. Fortunatly I had a backup plan, although it wasnt as much fun. And as it turned out, it wasnt much fun at all...

A friend has a few acres just a couple of miles from me, so this morning, I grabbed my bag and walked over. Turned out to be just at 2.5 miles on foot, a nice morning walk but nothing interesting about it. Heck, I even had sidewalks for part of it.

Got on the property, and right away started thanking my lucky stars I decided to bring the hammock. We have had a good bit of rain lately, and pretty much everywhere that wasnt covered in undergrowth, was soggy. Most of the area looked like this:

Sleeping in the mud would have been annoying. And sleeping on the ground with whatever this thing was
would have just plain sucked. Hammocks FTW.

His land borders on a small lake, and I really wish I had brought a fishing line.

After wandering around for a bit, I wound up at a spot I had originally tossed out, but it was the least bad in the area. At least it wasnt completely submerged or covered in thorny vines.

This is the 5.11 Push bag I carry all the time.

Normally I just use it as a work bag/EDC/day hike bag, but it worked fine for this setup as well. Had plenty of room for everything except the sleeping bag, which is strapped under. Worked just fine, and was comfortable enough during the walk over. It is a little heavy in this configuration for really long hikes, but is certainly bearable. I'd probably just wind up switching shoulders a little more than normal. Only a minor hassle.

Got the hammock up quickly, and decided to test it out for a few minutes. Temp was in the low 60's, a slight breeze was blowing, and the sunlight filtering through the branches made it almost perfect. I had just started to doze off, until the tiny pitter-patter of ticks falling all around me brought me around. Sometimes a tarp can protect you from more than just rain.

Interestingly, I discovered that 7/64 Amsteel (which I have just started using for my ridgeline) does not like the short loops of paracord I use for my prussik knots when tightening my tarp. I had made several short loops, and could only get 3 wraps on the amsteel for my ridgeline knot - it isnt enough to give a proper bite. 5 or 6 loops may be enough, but I didnt bother to test it right away.

After that difficult 7 or 8 minutes putting up the hammock and tarp, I figured it was time for a nice cup of coffee. Broke out an esbit tab, and cleared off a spot on the ground. Originally I was going to dig a small hole and put the esbit in the ground, but everything is so soggy that I simply grabbed two nearby sticks and placed the tab between them. They are green, and very wet, so I didnt think there would be a problem catching fire.

I used the knife on my multitool to get some shavings off the esbit tab and piled them on top of it. It makes it easier to get the tab started with a firesteel. Threw a few sparks on it, and we were in business.

Had a nice boil going in about 6 minutes. The sticks got scorched a little, but as you can see, no problems. The orange glow in the pic is the last of the esbit tab burning out.

And of course, coffee!

I had a nice selection of foods to choose from for dinner and breakfast, but wasnt really hungry. Just a pic of what I had brought, which I figure is enough for 24 hours of moving.

And then things diverged from the plan. Just as I was reclining back, sipping my coffee and watching the sun thru the leaves, my phone rang. Being an idiot, I answered it. And got called into work. Again. So, no overnighter, no time to relax in the woods, not even a legitimate Autumn MBO entry. But hey, I had already taken all the pics, so I figured why not. Thanks for looking!

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

Last edited by Mister Dark on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm 

scurvy wrote:
I have received permission to show the prizes I'm donating!!

No gold, silver, or bronze ( that stuff is too heavy anyways ).
I went with custom etched titanium with the bragging rights on display whenever you sit down for a meal.

Good luck to all,

That's an awesome idea!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 am 

Well I wasn't quite able to go out this time but i plan on going on the winter bug out.

*edited to admit failure to plan. :(

Last edited by VOODOOKING on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 am 

This thread, like the rest of the forum, will allow you to post whenever you've got something to put up. There is no need to 'reserve' spots in the thread, and WHEN you post your entry isn't going to have ANY influence on the judging of the entries, unless you somehow manage to get in after the deadline. you can take this as being pretty authoritative, as I'm one of the judges.

So, please, folks- let's not clutter up the thread with reservations- we'll get to everyone, I promise.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

My ten items. This maybe subject to change.

1. Ridgerest ground pad
2. FAK.
3. Paracord setup for a tarp ridgeline/tie-offs. Maybe 50-60 feet total.
4. Fenix HL20 on a camo PT headband.
5. A mostly empty pack of snelled fishhooks.
6. 70 oz platy bag.
7. MSR Ti kettle with stuff sack.
8. Hobo stove with stuff sack/plastic bag.
9. Blind Horse Knives large scandi Tiger Knapp neck/EDC knife.
10. Strike Force firesteel.

Why I picked this stuff.

The ridgerest will save me the time and effort of making a bushcrafty bed. I carry amy FAKs inside ziplocks because I fear getting them wet. Paracord is a no brainer. A headlamp will extend my work time. The hooks are for fishing because I am not packing any food. The Platy can carry about the same as two wide mouth Nalgenes but this one will start the trip empty. A kettle with hanger would work better over the fire but this one works great with the Hobo. The hobo stove will save time over small scout fire. I put both the cook pot and stove inside stuff sacks to keep ash off the pack. The small knife isn’t the most ideal pick but it needs to be tested before becoming part of my primary gear. Most of my field knives have cordage/line on the sheath.

I may change out the hobo/Ti kettle combo for just a hanging type kettle. A scout fire will do the same job as the hobo. This would free up a slot for the sleeping bag but the liberal clothing rules and moderate upper 40’s low 50's temps might make a bag unnecessary. I expect rain from the start and this means as part of my raingear I will be wearing a poncho. Heading out in the AM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next