Survival food tablets

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: Survival food tablets

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:40 pm

You could buy generic multivitamins, supplement with a few pieces of hard candy or a handfull of peanuts each day, and come out ahead of where these "survival pills" would get you for much less money.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:55 pm

ineffableone wrote:
greenbeetle wrote:Great experiment. 7lbs weight loss in 3 days - sounds like starvation.

The pills themselves may be alright but the recommendation to eat 12 pills (or 240) calories per day is garbage.

If these did what they claimed to do the military, NASA and relief organizations around the world would use them almost exclusively.
What people fail to do is read the recomendations of the product.

Survival tabs are not ment to be used by them selves, but to supliment what you can forage in a survival situation. As they say in any survival situation you should be able to forage at least some food from your suroundings. What the Survival Tabs is ment for is to provide the bare minimum requirements for survival. What they excell at is keeping the body energized and able to keep looking for additional food sources.

And yes I have tested them out, and they worked well. No I didn't record my weight loss or other details, all I paid serious attention to was how well I was able to keep my energy levels up. In this they worked very well.

This is not how they were tested by OP.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:38 pm

greenbeetle wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
greenbeetle wrote:Great experiment. 7lbs weight loss in 3 days - sounds like starvation.

The pills themselves may be alright but the recommendation to eat 12 pills (or 240) calories per day is garbage.

If these did what they claimed to do the military, NASA and relief organizations around the world would use them almost exclusively.

Survival tabs are not ment to be used by them selves, but to supliment what you can forage in a survival situation. As they say in any survival situation you should be able to forage at least some food from your suroundings. What the Survival Tabs is ment for is to provide the bare minimum requirements for survival. What they excell at is keeping the body energized and able to keep looking for additional food sources.

And yes I have tested them out, and they worked well. No I didn't record my weight loss or other details, all I paid serious attention to was how well I was able to keep my energy levels up. In this they worked very well.

from http://www.survivaltabs.com/
survival tab website wrote:3. In 90% of all survival situations, some additional food will be available. The Survival Food Tabs are designed to be the Margin of Survival. For example, if one were lost in a jungle area, one might have to find grubs, insects, berries, small animals or whatever to eat. One would have to adapt to the circumstances quickly until he found his way out or was rescued. The Survival Food Tabs would be that Margin of Survival, along with whatever one could gather, to sustain oneself as long as necessary. Another example, would be desert or sea survival. In these cases, little supplemental food may be available.
No it wasn't how the OP tested the product, however it is the way this product is designed to be used.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Jamie wrote:You could buy generic multivitamins, supplement with a few pieces of hard candy or a handfull of peanuts each day, and come out ahead of where these "survival pills" would get you for much less money.

Jamie
When I eat multivitamins on an empty stomach, my stomach feels sick and I get a little nauseous.

TacAir made the best point: "I now carry clif bars, dry soup and some peanut butter (in the little lunch tubs)." "The food and a cooking cup all fit into a Camelbak Nalgene bottle holder and I good for 2 or 3 - very thin - days."

So I agree. Why even bother with the food tablets?

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 pm

A side point this discussion - noted by the post above - is that of 'hunger' - something that is very different for each person and the effects/impact to that person can vary over time.

Few North Americans have felt real hunger - the belly-grinding, headache producing absence of food for 3 or more days.

I would suggest that a healthy person could benefit by putting themselves thru a 24 or 48 hours fast. Paying attention to the effects as they come on will give you a good idea of how you would handle a situation where food is scarce or difficult to obtain.

Do you get headaches? Lose your temper? Blood pressure up or down, trouble maintaining body temp and so on. Knowing may help with your planning.

If you even think you have a health issue, check with the doc first. DO NOT do this to children until they are old enough to understand what fasting means - and it's something they are ready to try.

I think you will gain a perspective in other areas of your life as well.

Yes, there are folks who go hungry everyday - generally along with other issues - all fit for another thread at another time.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Isheian

Post by Isheian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Still waitint on my chapter 33 to start paying... le sigh.
Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
Meaning of the EOD Badge
EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

greenbeetle

Post by greenbeetle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 am

ineffableone wrote:
greenbeetle wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

from http://www.survivaltabs.com/
survival tab website wrote:3. In 90% of all survival situations, some additional food will be available. The Survival Food Tabs are designed to be the Margin of Survival. For example, if one were lost in a jungle area, one might have to find grubs, insects, berries, small animals or whatever to eat. One would have to adapt to the circumstances quickly until he found his way out or was rescued. The Survival Food Tabs would be that Margin of Survival, along with whatever one could gather, to sustain oneself as long as necessary. Another example, would be desert or sea survival. In these cases, little supplemental food may be available.
No it wasn't how the OP tested the product, however it is the way this product is designed to be used.
Recommending 240 calories per day is silly, even for this purpose. Pack a snickers bar. Has almost twice the calories. I will now refer to these pills as "Marginal for Survival".

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:42 pm

TacAir wrote:A side point this discussion - noted by the post above - is that of 'hunger' - something that is very different for each person and the effects/impact to that person can vary over time.

Few North Americans have felt real hunger - the belly-grinding, headache producing absence of food for 3 or more days.

I would suggest that a healthy person could benefit by putting themselves thru a 24 or 48 hours fast. Paying attention to the effects as they come on will give you a good idea of how you would handle a situation where food is scarce or difficult to obtain.

Do you get headaches? Lose your temper? Blood pressure up or down, trouble maintaining body temp and so on. Knowing may help with your planning.

If you even think you have a health issue, check with the doc first. DO NOT do this to children until they are old enough to understand what fasting means - and it's something they are ready to try.

I think you will gain a perspective in other areas of your life as well.

Yes, there are folks who go hungry everyday - generally along with other issues - all fit for another thread at another time.
You can see some of the effects of real hunger in a survival situation watching Survivorman with Les Stroud. If you don't want to try experimenting with it yourself.

In his most recent show he pointed out how hard it was for him to think due to his hunger and only remembered that he had a little survival stove after he had hunkered down in the well of a tree and had been sitting there in the dark and cold for awhile. Suddenly he remarked how he had totally forgotten he had it, and pulled it out and brewed up some spruce needle tea to help warm him and give him some nutrients.

This inability to think clearly, the lack of energy to stay active, and other side effects of no food can be extremely crippling.

When I tested out the Survival Tabs I was able to keep going mentally and physically. I continued to go to work and perform my job, I went out and hung out with friends, walked and biked around town. The OP in his test was able to keep going physically.
Vel454 wrote:To me, it seems like they would help in a stict survival situation. They aren't replacing food, but they could keep your energy up, and your body functioning to continue working towards foraging/hunting/fishing/shelter building/rescue efforts/et cetera. Long-term, you'd likely be screwed. But it seems like a viable choice to "survive and function" for a few weeks.
This sort of continued ability to function and survive is what the survival tabs are for. They are there as a light compact way to provide ability for someone to get out of a terrible situation. The bulk and weight of other rations would be more than triple for the same amount of survival cushion Survival Tabs gives.

Since I have tested Survival Tabs and know what to expect with them, I pack them along with Mainstay ration bars and a bunch of regular food. To me they are a great added option to increase my survival chances. If I get down to only the Survival Tabs I will still have the energy and metal abilities to keep going, and that is what the Survival Tabs are good for. To help you get out of a situation where resources are not readily available, to keep you going. They take up less weight and bulk than snickers bars (or other quick energy bars), and provide more energy than multi vitamins. While Survival Tabs don't take the place of packing food, they are a good compliment to add an extra margin of survival to a pack that you have weight and bulk concerns about such as a BOB or INCH pack.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

greenbeetle

Post by greenbeetle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:03 pm

I tend to agree with other posters. A candy bar, a few packets of peanut butter or skittles do the same thing for same price or less and about the same weight. Mainstay rations do it even better.

As an aside I avoid things like gobstoppers, gum or anything that sits in my mouth while I'm hiking or working because they are a choking hazard. Sounds silly but grown adults do choke to death. I have seen the aftermath at work.

I'm stubbornly resisting these!

Isheian

Post by Isheian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 pm

So again, what we really need is a minimum of a full week test, with a before/ during/ after activity log to judge the effectiveness of this product. Hence why I stated that i was willing to play the role of guinea pig. Now of course this will only be how well the tabs ultimately work for me, but my experiment might as well be made public so as to help others with their curiosity about the product. So love the tabs or hate the tabs, I'm planning on this experiment. Take it for what it is worth.
Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
Meaning of the EOD Badge
EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

kvetch

Post by kvetch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Some time back I went on a week long, minimal gear, high desert walkabout with another group. Our only food for the week was a 1qt baggie of trail mix. Even with the constant activity, and an age range of 18 to 61, no one got particularly hungry and we were all able to maintain stable mental conditions. Note that I did lose 8lbs and I imagine the others were in the same way.
My theory is that if we had had more food or no food things would have gotten very...interesting. If we had had more food then the body's natural canabalic processes wouldn't have kicked in, or as efficiently. If there had been no food and we were reduced to foraging, well...say no more.
As it was, a handful of GORP each day (And the mental boost from that maybe?) was just enough to keep our bloodsugar and glucose levels from crashing while allowing the body to eat through it's own reserves. I believe that's exactly what S-Tabs are designed to do. Still, I wouldn't go longer then a week without suplimenting them with actual food (whatever you define that to be).
Hippie (hip'e) noun. Unwashed, organic Zack snacks.

Transparatus, Veritas.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Peanuts and raisins in a 3:1 ratio is about the cheapest shelf-stable survival food possible for short to mid-term situations...beyond a couple of weeks, you'd probably suffer from a lack of vitamins and minerals, but most people don't prep for longer than that (or if they do, they include multi-vitamins)...in either case, these carb-enhanced vitamins are not the best solution.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Isheian

Post by Isheian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Well I've got two bottles for the test. I'm going to start when my wilderness survival class does its first overnight field experiance. I'm planning to supplement them with a few things as of yet undetermined. Hopefully things that are easily found in nature. Ill keep y'all updated.
Meaning of the EOD Badge

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Isheian wrote:Well I've got two bottles for the test. I'm going to start when my wilderness survival class does its first overnight field experiance. I'm planning to supplement them with a few things as of yet undetermined. Hopefully things that are easily found in nature. Ill keep y'all updated.
I for one, will be interested in how these work for you. @ 12 ea tab/day, I hope you take along some coffee to kill the hunger pangs...
Last edited by TacAir on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isheian

Post by Isheian » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Im not saying im not mildly concerned about the huge switch in diet, but I think a documented test will be invaluable. Even if the test only shows how well it'll work for me its a base line for others to judge off of. It's not like this semester is going well, Im likely to only pass one class this semester, so there is no concern of lack of energy preventing me from doing well. It is odd to think that just three energy gels will give you more calories than 12 tabs though...
Meaning of the EOD Badge

colorsafe

Post by colorsafe » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 pm

Disregard...getting used to the tablet and didn't see the other 6 pages of posts. :roll:

(gridley said it was 240 cals per serving, with 12 pills per serving. What is that...?...20 cals per pill?

Would be cooler if its 240 a pop.)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 am

If you ate 11 skittles and 1 multi-vitamin, you could save money and get the same results.

If you think otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing why...

Thanks,

Jamie

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 am

Unlike some people who think these tabs work like eating candy and multi vitamins, I have actually tested this product myself.

It works. You are still full of energy during the day and able to think and perform needed tasks. Yes you still feel a bit hungry but that is more likely due to the lack of mass in your stomach. Yes you will loose weight again a lot of this is likely due to lack of mass in the tabs. Though it is also likely due to the minimal calorie intake also.

People really should read the products information. One of their claims is that these actually get almost 100% digestion and use, where normal food does not. Much of normal food gets wasted and passes right through you. These tabs yes while low in calories are optimized for actual body consumption. Now I can't verify this claim of more digestion with Survival Tabs, but I do know the science of wasted calories of most food is correct. It is true that most food you only get 40-60% of the actual calorie content and the rest just passes through you.

I will again point out they mention these are not meant to be used as a sole food source, but to supplement what you can forage.

For those of you who think eating a little candy and a vitamin will work just as well and cheaper, please test it out and report your results here.

And while I can understand being skeptical of this product, if you haven't actually tried it please stop trying to tell others how it wont work. You don't know if you haven't tried it.

I have tested the Survival tabs, by themselves they worked as advertised boosting my energy levels and keeping me functional for a week. With foraging (eating small amounts of veggies and grains) they worked even better. I was going to work living my normal day and using these Survival Tabs. Only difference I felt was some weight loss and a little feeling of being hungry due to having an empty stomach. The hunger feeling though tends to go away in 10-15 min and is never annoying or distracting.

I would never say to rely on these alone instead of actual food, or in place of ration bars. However they are a very good way to add a large amount of survival "food" to existing food or rations in a pack that is limited in size and weight. Carrying these Survival Tabs along with ration bars would be a great example of how you could have the most bang for your buck with space/weight. Or by having some compact low weight food (freeze dried) along with these tabs. I have a bunch of food, as well as MainStay ration bars, and these Survival Tabs in my INCH pack. This gives me the ability to carry a couple months worth of food, rather than just a few days or weeks. Normally you would not be able to carry months worth of food in a pack, it is just too bulky and heavy. But but supplementing existing food and rations with the Survival tabs I can stretch those rations and food into aprox 2 months. This is without taking into account possible foraging and collecting wild food and game.

The reason I opted for so much food. If there is a big crisis. I want to not have to rely on foraging hunting and trapping. It is likely that game could be spooked out of an area, it be the wrong season for many edibles, and competition between refugees fleeing what ever disaster can pick areas clean of edibles quickly. During a bug out, I might opt for eating my ration bars and Survival Tabs first, just so I don't have a fire and create smells that would give away my position. While not fun food, it is enough to keep me going and able to perform.

So I stand by my recommendation for these tabs, but do suggest people actually read the intended use and understand how they are used. This is not a full stand alone food replacement. But it is a great light weight low bulk way to stretch food you are carrying, or to augment the food your able to harvest and gather. Used like that it is an excellent product and worth having in your supplies.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 am

Jamie wrote:If you ate 11 skittles and 1 multi-vitamin, you could save money and get the same results.

If you think otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing why...

Thanks,

Jamie
Actually, a slightly better comparison would be a handful of malted milk balls, that way you gain the advantage of the yummy coating.

I have eaten these Tabs, as a lunch replacement while rock climbing. As I pointed out earlier, the ingredients are nearly the same as malted milk balls.
They are not magic, a super food, or even taste very good. They are a dose of carbs, @ 20 calories a tab. The tab may swell as you drink water, holding off hunger a bit.

Now I carry a Cilf bar. Still carbs, 60 grams and 230 calories.

Other folks may carry and eat these, its their choice. Been there, done that, yadda yadda....

I often make a point of asking folks if they have bothered to look closely at the Federally mandated nutrition information required to be on the product. That mandated information often tells a different tale than the hype/advertising/product endorsements found on the container or in print ads...

The ingredient listing is also telling and well worth looking at very closely, you may be surprised at what you are actually consuming...even more so in so called 'survival' or long term storage foods.

exvassalofnemesis

Post by exvassalofnemesis » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Didn't realize this topic was here...my bad...anyways here is my two-cents!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116480

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 pm

We have had "Shop by Picture Phone" for 30 years now.
Some of the food that Jane Dobson buys is what we miscall “synthetic.” In the middle of the 20th century statisticians were predicting that the world would starve to death because the population was increasing more rapidly than the food supply. By 2000, a vast amount of research has been conducted to exploit principles that were embryonic in the first quarter of the 20th century. Thus sawdust and wood pulp are converted into sugary foods.
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/miracles ... fty-years/

Good call on the shopping network and mobile homes. Not so much the rest of it.

ETA - And Jane got out of the house and found herself a job instead of sitting around watching HSN all day
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 pm

I have survival tabs in my preps, they taste pretty good. I went 3 days on just the tabs 2 years ago (I still drank ice tea, and diet sodas and water) along with my daily vitamins and supplements I normally take (D3, iron, fish oil, etc.). I did o.k. and wasn't starving during it. I think if you used these in place of one or 2 meals a day, depending on your activity you'd be alright. And I think I've read, these were for situations when you weren't super active. Hiking and working, no. Waiting for rescue in a life boat , sure.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Barnabus wrote:I have survival tabs in my preps, they taste pretty good. I went 3 days on just the tabs 2 years ago (I still drank ice tea, and diet sodas and water) along with my daily vitamins and supplements I normally take (D3, iron, fish oil, etc.). I did o.k. and wasn't starving during it. I think if you used these in place of one or 2 meals a day, depending on your activity you'd be alright. And I think I've read, these were for situations when you weren't super active. Hiking and working, no. Waiting for rescue in a life boat , sure.
They are designed to keep you from falling into the listless low energy crashing of starvation where you can no longer think or stand or actively work to survive.

They explain on their website that pretty much anywhere you will be able to forage for food. What the tabs are for is to keep you alert and able to problem solve and have enough energy to go after the food where your at.

I too have tried these. Both solo, and with "forage" and they work great for what they are. I have also gone long periods hungry. While your body can last 3 weeks or so with no food, in only 3 days your mental process, physical reactions, etc are all dramatically effected. Starving is no joke, as you fall into a spiral where you can't even make the effort to get out of the problem. Where your mind betrays you and forgets knowledge you know you have. Your coordination goes, your balance goes, standing too fast can make you pass out and fall.

No Survival Tabs don't provide a full nutritional meal or enough calories to do hard labor all day. But then that is not what they were designed to do. They are designed to stave off that last margin before you become completely incapable to acting to improve your situation.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:20 pm

exvassalofnemesis wrote:Didn't realize this topic was here..
So you brought back a 5 year old thread?

There was one guy that said he was going to carry water in his mouth, to save him from drinking from water bottle.

Don't think he would have lasted long.

Another guy said he carried Bacos for his shtf food.

YMMV
Last edited by bltjr1951 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”