That Camelbak Taste

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Janissary

That Camelbak Taste

Post by Janissary » Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I have come to the point that I can't stand any more of that horrible taste. I know there are some flavored electrolytes but I really prefer to drink plain water for rehydration. I have tried to add a few drops of lemon juice in the reservoir to improve taste but that didn't help either. I ended up buying a Camelbak Better Bottle for a tasteless drinking experience, it works great. I really advice using them instead of regular hydration bladders.

Pros:
+ Taste-free water.
+ Much stronger than bladders as they may be pierced/punctured.
+ When bladders start to empty, their shape changes due to being .. empty. Bettle Bottle won't change the balance of your backpack as much as bladders as they stand still while emptied.
+ Easier to clean & dry.

Cons:
- Highest capacity of Better Bottles is 0.75 L / 25 Oz. Therefore you need to carry additional bottles. I usually fill my Better Bottle and carry a few 0.50L/16 Oz bottled waters in my backpack. This may take a little more space than bladders.
- Once your Better Bottle is empty you have to stop and fill it up again.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreati ... e-75L.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yeniceri/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFishinMagician

Re: That Camelbak Taste

Post by TheFishinMagician » Tue May 24, 2011 3:03 pm

To each their own, I guess.

I actually prefer the hydration reservoirs over bottles. Yes, they're a pain to clean/dry but they hold more and take up less space than bottles when empty.

I haven't found the "backpack un/balancing thing" to be a big issue. Since the water bladder's weight is carried right up against your back (where it's supposed to be for heavy items), it's better than bottles carried the same way since the bottles will be less accessible.

I've also not experienced the "taste"/flavor issue you're describing. I clean my water bladders very well with either baking soda or watered down vinegar when I get back from a trip, dry them thoroughly, and store them with a paper towel inside with the screw closure opened to help wick and evaporate out any moisture I might have missed. I never store anything in them but water. I do carry a seperate Guyot/Nalgene for mixing, though (Gatorade, Kool-Aid, etc.)

I also have never experienced any issues with freezing and bursting...(Go figure! I live in South Florida! :lol: ) ...or with the bladders being punctured or the heat-sealed "seams" failing.

I guess there's pros and cons to each water carriage option. You just have to settle on what works the best for you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Tue May 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I get the Microban bladders from Blackhawk. Have had 1 for almost 1.5 years now I guess. I fill it up. Use it. When I'm done, I rinse it out with tap water and put a sock in it. The sock helps it dry and acts like a wick. After a day, it's dry. I've never noticed a taste except when water stays in the line and gets warm. That can taste a bit nasty. When I clean the bladder, I blow really hard to get as much water as possible out of the line.

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I like these myself but I use mine as just a regular water bottle. They are tough. I left mine on top of the car by accident and I didnt notice it till it fell off going at least 50. Not so much as a scratch. As for the size, I know that they have a 1 liter one, thats the one that im using right now.

Outlaw777

Post by Outlaw777 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

I like my camelbak BoB, the thing i really like is you can get the in line filters for them now. I think they filter around 200 liters. I had a camelbak when I was in the service and i probably drank the whole bladder at least once a day for eight months, maybe I just got used to the taste, or maybe it goes away. I can't say for certain.

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 pm

hawk55732 wrote:I like these myself but I use mine as just a regular water bottle. They are tough. I left mine on top of the car by accident and I didnt notice it till it fell off going at least 50. Not so much as a scratch. As for the size, I know that they have a 1 liter one, thats the one that im using right now.
I have a blue one liter sitting right next to me on my desk. These are good bottles. I've dropped, thrown, kicked, you name it, to this blue bottle and it's still holding up. A few scratches, but nothing bad. I do prefer my reservoir when out doing things though. If I go for a hike, I fill my bladder and my bottle, but the bottle is mostly just for backup.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:12 pm

wguy00 wrote:
hawk55732 wrote:I like these myself but I use mine as just a regular water bottle. They are tough. I left mine on top of the car by accident and I didnt notice it till it fell off going at least 50. Not so much as a scratch. As for the size, I know that they have a 1 liter one, thats the one that im using right now.
I have a blue one liter sitting right next to me on my desk. These are good bottles. I've dropped, thrown, kicked, you name it, to this blue bottle and it's still holding up. A few scratches, but nothing bad. I do prefer my reservoir when out doing things though. If I go for a hike, I fill my bladder and my bottle, but the bottle is mostly just for backup.

I completely agree. Camel Baks are the best for PT and being out in the field. For every day use in the shop, I like my bottle.

Prepared American

Post by Prepared American » Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Sounds like I need to get a couple of these bottles. I too dislike the plastic taste of plain water in my Camelbak bladders. I usually end up throwing some kind of flavoring in it to distract my taste buds long enough to remain hydrated.
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

I use Nalgene canteens and Platy bags. The Platy's don't leave a taste though sometimes these things can be subjective. All my Platy bags have outlasted the camelbaks

http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would go with the standard wide mouth Nalgene as these are easier to fill in the field and work better in the cold.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

omega-woman kidnapped both of my better bottles. As far as bladders go, I prefer the Source bladders. We were getting these issued towards the end of my time in the Corps and TAG included them in their packs for awhile. I still have 3 or 4 laying around that I still use, except I did just get a 1.5L camelbak for my Maxped sitka. As for taste, the main concern should be hydration - please don't tell me you're sitting around your home or office with a camelbak on.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Almost forgot.

Nalgene does make some bags which are like the Platys and I never noticed a bad taste. They have a wide mouth and this is down right nice in the woods.

Just the same I still prefer a Platy. Not above packing bottled water as well.

Last edited by Woods Walker on Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue May 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Bahhh! Suck it up. I just dump the old water out and refill it. Sometimes it taste bad but I dont drink the first couple gulps. I have ran bladders for months on a daily basis like this.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:Bahhh! Suck it up.
Try some of this..... Good times..... :mrgreen:

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 pm

That's what i want, water I can bite into!
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed May 25, 2011 12:25 am

Kinda like Campbells Chunky soup. The soup you can eat with a fork. If thirsty my standards drop greatly. At home I will dump out a cup of water that's not cold enough. But in the field sometimes being potable doesn't mean limestone spring frost my canteen over clean. I did once reject water from a place called Nuclear Lake. Something about a nuclear mumbo jumbo whatever site which was remediated to a recreational area didn’t work for me.

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 am

Woods Walker wrote: I did once reject water from a place called Nuclear Lake. Something about a nuclear mumbo jumbo whatever site which was remediated to a recreational area didn’t work for me.
Pfft, who doesn't want their drinking water to double as a reading light at night? :lol:

The only time I have trouble with the water from my camelbak tasting funny is when I completely forget to clean it and leave it in the bladder for a month or two.

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 pm

To be honest, when I first read this topic I was thinking "WTF are guys talking about, my Camel Bak's don't taste!"

But, I happened to donate all my old bladders to a friend a year or so ago and just bought a new one now that I've started my bike riding odyssey. It showed up today before the ride and I just filled it up and went.

Wow. Talk about taste.

But, I realize my folly. I didn't follow my old method when it came to new plasticy things that are going to hold cold beverages. Here is what I do to make things "taste free:"

- get your tap as hot as it will go by running it for a bit, or if you don't like wasting water heat it up in a tea kettle or pot but not too hot
- grab some Arm & Hammer baking soda and pour a good bit down into your camelbak, I give it quite a bit.
- fill the camelbak with your hot water, close it up and shake to disolve the baking soda, squeeze down on it while opening the bite valve to fill the tube as well
- let it sit for at least 15 minutes, I've let them sit all the way up to over night with no problems
- rinse out and enjoy

Using that method I had 6 - 100oz bladders that were taste free. Have three of the new "Antidote" bladders (one for me, one for wife and one spare) that will be getting this treatment as soon as we pick up new baking soda. Will report back and let people know if this method still works with the newer ones.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Funny, I just got a camelbak and it tastes fine to me and I'm picky, I usually can't drink store bought bottled water because of the plastic taste.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Trout_Of_Death

Post by Trout_Of_Death » Thu May 26, 2011 12:55 am

Never had a taste issue from camelbak, my water here tastes funny as it is so that probably masked any if there was to begin with. I have had my Camelbaks ranging from 4 years to 2 months. All have lasted, never had any issues. You can find online the testing camelbak does on their batters to make sure they are resistant to punctures, busting, and anything else you can think of. This is why i get their batters and trust in them.

Ah... fount the video I was looking for!

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I usually add a mixture of baking soda and water and mix it around and then a good rinse GTO

funkychicken

Post by funkychicken » Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 am

I don't mind the taste of the camelbak. Seeing as how I use it to keep me hydrated while hunting. Besides it could be worse.... Could taste like Camel Toe. :lol:
I am Funkychicken, and I approve this message.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Mon May 30, 2011 8:36 am

omega_man wrote: As for taste, the main concern should be hydration - please don't tell me you're sitting around your home or office with a camelbak on.

Got a new Camelbak Transformer back when I was going through AIT/ Job School for the Army , and I used that when I was in class all day... didn't exactly wear it around as much either and this was before they made the Better Bottles
Worked pretty good... and I use it now when I go biking since its modular..
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am

i poor lemonade or crystal lite in a new bladder to kill the taste, and clean them with denture tabs with good results.
i'll have to try the baking soda trick.
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”