Hammock help needed please?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Hammock help needed please?

Post by Murphnuge » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Mods if this has been done feel free to move or merge. I'm looking at getting into this whole hammock camping thing and have no idea what brand is worth my money. So far I've looked into Clark, Hennessey and Eno. They all have their perks, HELP!
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

slingstone

Re: Hammock help needed please?

Post by slingstone » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I paid about $70 for my No-see-um Hammock Bliss set up, which I think was ultimately too much. More often than not, I do not use the mosquito net side of the hammock, reducing my fancy zippered netting to just dead weight/space. If I were to get into hammock camping again, I think I would experiment with yards of nylon purchased raw and tied off or something cheap and simple like Grand Trunk's basic hammock. Lots of do-it-yourself folks out there building their own or modifying what they bought.

Remember, more width is better, since you should be sleeping at a diagonal. Once you know your needs and tastes a bit better, you can consider a pricier integrated system like the Hennessey products.

rsnurkle
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I am Legend

Post by rsnurkle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 am

If you want to add even more manufacturers (sorry if it becmes choice overload) or to look at information from people using a specific hammock, check the hammock forums manufacturer-specific subforums (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Those people will talk about it as much as you want... =D

Clark, Claytor, DD, ENO, Grand Trunk, Hennessey, Speer, and Warbonnet seem to all be considered standard mid- to high-range for hammocks in terms of construction--so if you're looking at brands that aren't one of those, check online reviews about the construction quality, etc., and make sure to clarify and stay within the recommended weight limits. If you're looking at those, take a look at the distinguishing features of the hammock (or of it's brand in general, e.g., Hennessey's trademark bottom-entry, Warbonnet's foot box and shelf) as well as keeping your height and weight in mind.

And of course there is always the $9 test hammock which should give you a better idea of what you might want in a hammock (features-wise), which will then be more helpful for deciding between brands.

JPBeck
Favorite Zombie Movies: OG Dawn of the Dead

Post by JPBeck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 am

It was between Warbonnet Blackbird and Hennessy for me. I ended up with a Hennessy EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP in. Used it this weekend as a matter of fact, it worked well, and kept me bone dry in the rain.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 am

It all has to do with your style of use.

I camp in a variety of styles, and so have a variety of hammocks.

Are you a car camper? Do you Ultrlite fastpack? Are you looking for more comfort/features, or light weight? What seasons and weather do you do most of your camping in? Do you prefer to build your hammock rig piece by piece for a custom setup, or do you want to buy it as a complete system?

These are some starter questions that will narrow your choices down.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

troll1000
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.

Post by troll1000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I started out with a Treklight Double Hammock, then got two 25 foot lengths of nylon webbing, sewed a loop in the end of each one, got four steel welded rings and two carabiners (and a partridge in a pair tree :lol: ). All this makes a very quick and easy way to put up my hammock. Next I got a Chinook 9 1/2 x 12 tarp. Now I'm all set for warm weather hammock camping. Winter hammock camping is a little different but only because you have to pack extra gear to stay warm. Look up Shugemery's Hammock Hangin' How To videos for a vast amount of good info on winter hammock camping and also some other ways to suspend your hammock and different kinds of hammocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

Murphnuge

Post by Murphnuge » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Are you a car camper? Do you Ultrlite fastpack? Are you looking for more comfort/features, or light weight? What seasons and weather do you do most of your camping in? Do you prefer to build your hammock rig piece by piece for a custom setup, or do you want to buy it as a complete system?

These are some starter questions that will narrow your choices down.

-Mike
Thanks everyone, this will help a lot! My gf is getting me this hammock for my birthday this month and I want to make sure I get something good that I'll enjoy using. We all know what happens if we show any sign of under appreciation towards our other halves. Mike to answer your questions; I'm usually a 3 season camper although I hike in all seasons and so prefer the ability to go 4 seasons. I'm not a car camper, I was when I was a kid but have since moved up to hiking everything in since the leaving the Corps. Realized I missed some important questions, sorry. No, I'm definitely not an ultralighter. My average loadout is 80-85lbs. I don't mind humping extra gear at all. The aspect of buying a kit or going piece by piece is a consideration I've never entertained. I'm not sure what I'm getting into totally, so my thoughts are buying a complete kit. I'm open to any and all opinions on this, as I've stated I really am a total rookie at this.

Hugin
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Living Dead series including the remakes, Return of the living dead 1-3, 28 Days...

Post by Hugin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm

My wife and I both have Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker Asyms. My wife said that it was the best sleep she has ever had in the wilderness. I plan on buying the HH Super Shelter system to use instead of putting a thermorest inside, and also getting a side zipper mod and some hammock accessories by 2QZQ as well. If you purchase your HH from their website you get free snake skins(they make set up a snap). Also note that if you don't like bottom entry they have new hammocks at HH that are side entry. I personally like the bottom entry, but would like the option of side entry so that is why I'm modding my Hennessy Hammocks. I'm also going to mod the HH with a woopie sling suspension system as well.

Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker Asym http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-ul-asym.html
Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter http://hennessyhammock.com/specs_underc ... small.html
2QZQ HH Zipper Mod 4 http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/page18.html
2QZQ Hammock Accessories http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammoc ... ories.html

Some Hennessy Hammocks are made in China, some in the USA and some in Canada. http://hennessyhammock.com/manufacturinghistory.html

I like the Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock too(especially the shelf), however I needed to purchase two hammocks with tarps, so I got the HHs. I liked the fact that the tarp was included into the price, and since we ordered ours online we got free snake skins as well, oh and they had a special and we also got two free coated hex tarps along with the standard silnylon one. I also like the idea of the Supershelter system, rather than jerry rigging something, or an expensive underquilt.

My brother in-law has a Clark Jungle hammock, and I much prefer the Asym lay of the Hennessy Hammock.
"The more you know, the less you carry." -Mors Kochanski

"Lightweight, Durable, Inexpensive. Pick any two." -cliche

Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 pm

The Grand Trunk Ultra-Light is a bargain at $20. Replace the hanging cords with some web straps (AKA tree-huggers), throw up a cat-cut tarp, and you will have a nice start if you do not live in a bug heavy area.
My next hammock is the Warbonnet Blackbird.
I second Shugemery's videos. His cold weather tests are outstanding. last video I watched he "hanged" at seventeen below zero (not Celsius).

80-85-lbs. :shock: I haven't gone over 40lbs since Night Court was still on the air. My base weight (everything but food and water) is around 15lbs for 3 season, with creature comforts. I only break 30 if it is more than 3 nights out.
Not criticizing, but that is completely foreign to me.

Murphnuge

Post by Murphnuge » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Well I passed along all the info y'all have given me and she ordered something tonight based on the input, I have no idea what because we're trying to maintain some sort of surprise. Thank you! Ill definitely post pics and the results when it arrives. Ill admit I got a great woman. Hell, for our anniversary she wants a surplus sleeping bag system.

Yeah 80-85 lbs because I'm one of those "what if?" kinda people. I don't pack any real superfluous gear or any real comfort items, but it's just the way I've always done it and the Marines made it worse. 40 lbs?! I'd hafta drop half my shit!

Murphnuge

Post by Murphnuge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Well she ordered my hammock a few days ago. I ended up with the Hennessey Survivor in woodland and she sprung for the GSA compliant version as well! Now I just need a night off to test it when it gets here.

Murphnuge

Post by Murphnuge » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Hennessey Survivor GSA compliant- Ofcourse like a guy, I started putting this up before watching the video instructions. Luckily my gf made me watch the video before I sat in it. I had lashed the line on the other side of the knot that holds the faintly clip. My thinking was that the clip/knot would keep my lashing from slipping. I never realized the knot was a seperate set of cordage.

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:00 am

I drool over the Warbonnet Blackbird. So roomy.....gear shelf....integral zip-off bug net and ridgeline....drooooool. :mrgreen:

Is getting the Hennessy a PITA when your bag and pad are inside it? Seems like you'd have to fight your way in and then wrestle to get everything situated again.

JPBeck
Favorite Zombie Movies: OG Dawn of the Dead

Post by JPBeck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:38 pm

I love hammocks and sleep in them most summer nights and take them out into my hills here at least once a month. BUT NOT EVERYONE LIKES TO SLEEP IN A HAMMOCK! My wife can't sleep in one-- period-- so Zen is right-- either barrow one or start off with a cheaper one that you can lay at a angle in (not all hammocks do that). Laying at an angle allows you to sleep flatter.

I started out in a Hennessy Explorer Velcro bottom entry (got it modified by 2Q & ZQ so that it now has a zipper entry as well), then moved up to the Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip model. They both come with tarps that serve most people's purposes. The standard tarp covers the hammock and the hammock only. In the summer I use this smaller tarp because it provides enough cover with the added benefit of the tarp fitting into the snake skins along with the hammock. Takes about 1 minutes to roll up camp with that set up. but no place to hang out if it rains. However, when you order it from Hennessy's site they allow you to upgrade the tarp to the HEX --which is larger. It will give you a place to hang out in increment weather, in really bad weather you can make a tent like shelter to block the cold wind. I have both and use them both. Like I said the standard Explorer tarp is for speed-- the Hex is for protection. Your looking at about $200 with the tarp. Great flat laying hammocks, easy to set up (with the included snake skins) and bomb proof. IMHO
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hennessy uses the best zippers made and he's the one everyone copied-- he's the OG of hammocks with bug netting (except he copied an old GI hammock from way back in the day).

I also have a Warbonnet Blackbird double layer and a Big MamaJamba tarp. Now since getting this hammock I haven't used my Hennessy's much. Though the Explorer lays flatter, I don't get shoulder squeeze in my Blackbird. The shelf and the foot pocket on the Blackbird sell it for me. With the blackbird I can lay on my side-- almost on my stomach, the shelf is great too. I love the Big MambaJamba tarp as well-- worth the pound and it does everything I need it to, plus it's light. It's about as perfect all around tarp as they get (for me).
http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love the Blackbird! It's 100% made in the USA too-- and the strap buckles are ingenious-- super easy to hang! Your looking at around $300 with the tarp.

But that's not where the expense ends--
Hammock camping seems simple to sleep in. But it gets damn cold if you don't have the proper equipment. I started out using a closed foam cell pad-and a 30 degree sleeping bag unzipped. The pad keeps your back warm, but your shoulders get cold. The sleeping bag acts like a quilt- it works fine, but by then your asking yourself why not just bring a tent. The reason is if you like sleeping in a hammock you wont like sleeping on the ground again. Once you start hanging you get used to the comfort and want more. So you end up buying a under-quilt (down is the way to go) to keep your back warm, then you want a top quilt (again down). By then your in it about $500 (not including the hammock). The benefit is that it's lighter and packs smaller. The drag is that if it gets wet you could die! So I either use a Sealine dry bag to stuff the quilts into and just be damn careful about condensation and rain drops, but I'm not going to lie to you by saying it's not a big deal, it's a sort of a pain and makes me worry the whole time I'm out in the rain. So during the rainy season I sometimes go back to the pad and my sleeping bag. So I've just come back full circle. At minimum you'll need a pad (WalMart blue pad works fine ($30)-- I use a wide ThermoRest to keep my shoulders warm ($70), and a sleeping bag I use a 20 degree NorthFace Cats Meow ($200). Any bag would work fine though providing it matches the weather your camping in. Or you can use a wool blanket if you have one. I use what I use because that's what I had when I did solo tent hiking.
So as you can see it's not cheap! That's what I'm getting at here.

I hear all the time about how Warbonnet hammocks end up being cheaper-- It's not cheaper at all-- the Hennessy comes with a tarp-- either HEX or the standard for $200 (for the Explorer Deluxe).
If you don't need a tarp you can buy the hammock by itself for $145.

The Blackbird does not come with a tarp--
The Blackbird by itself is between $160 and $175--
A Warbonnet tarp is between an additional $100 to $160 (mine was $130) extra.
So either way the Warbonnet is more expensive.

So looking at comparable models:
Blackbird Double Layer 1.7 oz is $175 plus a Big Mambajama tarp $135 which equals $315 (Brandon does give you a $10 discount if you buy them both at the same time-- which would bring it down to $305)

Hennessy Explorer Deluxe $200 with a Hex model tarp--
That's about a $100 difference for comparable systems.

I'm not taking sides here (I have both and love both)-- I just wanted to point that out.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

I have the Hennessy Expedition ASYM with the super shelter system : http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/spec ... m_classic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

last year HH ran a special where you got this & the overcover for $99
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/prod ... _system_1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they usually run the specials after the new years, when most people really are not thinking of hammocks & this activity

I also purchased the hex fly, in my opinion this is the only rain fly to have. This allows you room to cook underneath the fly, room for the pack etc, or things that are not going inside with you etc

It is great for warm or temperant climates, I used it last winter & was not as impressed.

However this summer I found myself using & sleeping in my homebrew versions

Your area would be similiar to mine, so its going to have pro's & con's. I also recommend a ground tarp of some sort whether it be a piece of tyvek or old tarp.

I have a back issue, so for me this is the only way I can camp

I have one of those grand trunks and find it nice in the fact that it is wide enough so I can add a foam pad beneath me if the temps drop like the HH.

Or you can build your own hammock for less, here is my hammock thread, I built 4 to date so far using this method
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=76969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

many more ideas & a wealth of information over at http://www.hammockforums.net/?s=bd57acc ... f8a78d746f&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now as I finish this up I see you already have one on order, hammocks are like everything else you always seem to acquire more with time, one model for this, the other model for that...

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:43 am

As many others I tried the hammock thing, started with an ENO and it was fine. I'm not really a back sleeper and did not care for it in cold weather so I use tent instead. Still have the hammock and use it camping for day lounging.
All the people I camp with that stayed with hammocks ended up buying the Hennessy setup. It's kind of pricey, but the quality is worth it according to them.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

justins

Post by justins » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:11 am

thanks for sharing these information members of zombie squad

Priest0817

Post by Priest0817 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:34 am

I prefer Hennessy. I have used ENO and several others. I was least impressed with the ENO. it offers zero support and you pretty much have to sleep on your back, with a Hennessy asymmetrical once you are in if you set it up correctly you can sleep on your side, your belly or relatively flat on your back. Another plus for the Hennessy is it is all included. the bug net and tarp come with it. the Eno it is all extra unless you buy the "kit". and the kit is significantly higher than what I bought my Hennessy for at REI. The biggest plus to the Hennessy over the ENO in my opinion is the temperature. the ENO collapses around your body and allows the bug net to kinda wrap around you like a cocoon. in the summer in the Southern USA it SUCKS!the hammock sticks to you and the bug net holds in the heat. due to the design of the Hennessy the hammock doesn't stick to you and the bug net is pulled away from you allowing more air to flow.
In the winter ENO makes a under quilt as does Hennessy for there set ups. I have found that neither under quilt works well, or at least as advertised. and both are rather pricy. I ended up making my under quilt out of two wobbles and using some off the shelf grommets to make tie in points for a cheaper solution. Still works about the same. the second mod to my Hennessy was I added velcro closed sleeve made from 500D codura that I could slide my thermarest into. this was the insulation fix I was looking for. in my opinion ALL backcountry hammock manufactures should do this. This allows me to use my puss pad to insulate me from the chill and the thermarest doesn't want to curl or slide around inside the hammock.
Not sure that you will get a lot more feed back form ZS but you can google hammock camping and there are forums dedicated to this. the levee lot info on hammock camping is unreal. there are also some other manufactures on there forums that do not advertise but are top quality and better designs than the hennessy or the ENO

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:43 am

Intro / Primer to Hammocking
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=82411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Murphnuge

Post by Murphnuge » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Been away way too long. Thank everybody for the input and Murph, great link!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”