It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RULES / GUIDELINES

1 - You will need to use your winter bug out gear / BOB.

2 - There is no limit on the amount, or type of gear you can use. Your gear is setup to take care of you in your AO, so this can include ANYTHING you would normally have in YOUR winter BOB.

3 - You will need to demonstrate how well you and your gear work together. You should also review your gear and let us know why you selected it for your AO.

4 - You will need to demonstrate camp / bushcraft skills. this can include fire building, snow melting, food gathering, shelter building, tool making, and every / any other skill you decide to show us.

5 - You will need to spend at least 24 hours outside. Your trip should include some amount of hiking with your gear / pack strapped to your back.

6 - You will need to post photos, and or videos of your trip.

7 - This contest ends at midnight February 28th pacific time.

I think these are pretty simple guidelines and will allow folks to get as creative as they want on their trip. Keep in mind that this contest will NOT be about who has the best / most expensive gear. It WILL be about who can do the most with what they have, and dont forget to show us those skills!

The winner of this contest will be chosen by a panel of judges. There will be three catagories which will be scored.

JUDGED CATAGORIES

1 - Type of gear and USE of it. ( This is NOT about expensive gear. It IS about what gear you chose to help you deal with your AO and how well you use it )

2 - Demonstration of camp / bushcraft skills.

3 - Your overall ablility to show us how well you, your gear, and your skills come together to keep you alive in your AO in winter.

Feel free to post your entry on its own, but it MUST be posted on this thread to be considered for the contest.

If you have any specific questions about the contest please post them on the original thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74657

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Here is the list of kick ass prizes! 8)

I would like to give a SPECIAL thanks to all the folks who have donated these fine prizes! :D If i screwed up this list, or left anyone out PLEASE let me know so i can correct it. :wink:

. Darkside ( me ) I will donate a coleman MAX Peak1 stove to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.

. Sealegs will donate an issue mora 2000.

. Blackdog will donate a leatherman multi-tool. he has also said that he will have it engraved.

. Wyominglostandfound will donate a small grey tipi with stovejack.

. Woods Walker will donate a used Mora TopQ stainless knife .

. WhoshotJR will donate a $25.00 gift certificate to a prep / outdoor store.

. Drewder will donate zombie shooting targets to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. He may also throw in some ZS stickers / patches as well.

. Bakeel will donate a GobSpark Ranger Firesteel with super scrapper and Magnesium Tinder Rod . They will come on a orange 550 paracord lanyard.

. 6unf1ghter will donate some gear items from his collection. We can get an update from him when he decides what it will be. According to him, he has " A few good things that need new homes. "

. RGR SNAPLINK will donate 1 Combat Gauze, 1 CAT TQ, and 1 Izreali Bandage.

. Dawgboy will donate a few Mikovs for win, place, and show.

. $lug will donate three prizes. 1st place is a frontier pro, 2nd place is a regular frontier, and 3rd place is a firefork. These items will be donated from his online store. https://groundlabtactical.com/

. Dubbya will donate some items from his gear collection. ( 1st place ) http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-t ... -pack.html
( 2nd place ) http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Becker-Nec ... B001GQW3UC

( 3rd place ) http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=33&cid=21

The judges will get together and decide what prizes will go to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Some of the folks have specific prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, so the judges will have nothing to do with splitting up those prizes.

Kyle and ZS have donated 1 - ZS Hoodie (winner chooses size) 1 - ZS Watch Cap 1 - ZS Canteen. These prizes can get split up for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, OR we can have a veiwers choice poll ( like kyle suggested ) to decide who gets these prizes, but YOU GUYS WILL NEED TO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THESE!!!

I think it would be cool to have these three prizes go to a veiwers choice. It could possibly give another three people a chance to win a prize. we could even remove the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from that. this would gaurantee another three people get a prize...LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!

Your judges for this contest will be...

Me ( Darkside )

wyominglostandfound

Woodswalker

Sealegs

Sigboy40

These guys were the first to send me a PM and offer up their time. i think we have an EXCELLENT panel of judges, though Sigboy40 and myself could screw this thing up bigtime! :lol:

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:15 pm 

good luck to all the entries! and have fun but first and foremost, be safe! wyo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:21 pm 

Guess I can't judge, might as well enter. Kinda sad you gotta bribe people to try out their shit. Whatever it takes I guess. :D :D

Going out solo with some new kit and some I've never used. Going to try a slightly different approach as well. Should be interesting!

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

Last edited by Mags on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 pm 

The route is planned. I figured I would get some spots of hunting in while I am at it.

Edit: Hahahaha, I need to camp in my own back yard, but at least I'll be hiking several miles while hunting, and I'll take my gear with me. :-D -- Damn Ohio and it's wont for making you pay $24 for camping in the winter, and not allowing you to camp in the wildlife areas.

Last edited by elricfate on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm 

And so it begins!
Best of luck, and godspeed to all.

(edit to add)
Is it possible to get this thread as a sticky just so it won't get lost?

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 pm 

I think I might have to be in for this. Perhaps not the Wintergeddon the local guys have planned... but perhaps a brief day or two out in my semi-local (ie: 60 mile radius) AO.
Got a friend who might be game as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 am 

Marker for trip link.

Good luck all!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:33 am 

would it be within the rules to simulate a vehicle breakdown and 24hrs stuck with my vehicle contents? I've been considering doing this, and think the time-frame could work with my schedule. although, it is effing cold in my AO between now and mid february.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

marbhán marfóir wrote:
would it be within the rules to simulate a vehicle breakdown and 24hrs stuck with my vehicle contents? I've been considering doing this, and think the time-frame could work with my schedule. although, it is effing cold in my AO between now and mid february.

while really i like your idea, i dont think it fits within the guidelines of this contest. we all have read stories of folks traveling during winter only find themselves lost down an old logging road, or stuck along the side of the road in a snow drift with only the items they have with them in their vehicle. your secneario would make a great excercise though. :D

this contest is really to see how well you, your gear / BOB, and your skills come together to to help take care of you in a winter bug out situation. this does not include bugging out in a vehcile for 24 hrs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

marbhán marfóir wrote:

Honestly, this could be a contest of a different flavor later on.

Back on Topic:

I am in. I might do a pre-run first. :mrgreen:

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:13 am 

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
marbhán marfóir wrote:

while really i like your idea, i dont think it fits within the guidelines of this contest. we all have read stories of folks traveling during winter only find themselves lost down an old logging road, or stuck along the side of the road in a snow drift with only the items they have with them in their vehicle. your secneario would make a great excercise though. :D

this contest is really to see how well you, your gear / BOB, and your skills come together to to help take care of you in a winter bug out situation. this does not include bugging out in a vehcile for 24 hrs.

understood and acknowledged. i'll plan on being out with only what i got in the bag. sucks, because my truck is pretty much my BOB minus some stuff that I dont feel comfortable leaving in the truck unattended.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 am 

I was in on the first one, I will be in on the second one... And ya it is supposed to be 7 degrees here this weekend with 25 mph winds sustained. You do the math... ALSO :shock:

Can we do this with our Wife? (or husbands or SOs) I mean Real Life Bug Out, they would be with me. Otherwise I am am gonna be toasty warm by my fireplace protecting by family from the zombies as I duct tape plastic to the windows and wrap my door handles with Blue telephone wire.... No really can I bring the wife?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am 

I'm in!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

epirider wrote:
I was in on the first one, I will be in on the second one... And ya it is supposed to be 7 degrees here this weekend with 25 mph winds sustained. You do the math... ALSO :shock:

Can we do this with our Wife? (or husbands or SOs) I mean Real Life Bug Out, they would be with me. Otherwise I am am gonna be toasty warm by my fireplace protecting by family from the zombies as I duct tape plastic to the windows and wrap my door handles with Blue telephone wire.... No really can I bring the wife?

sure take the wife. nothing wrong with that... i wish mine would join me in the outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:50 am 

What if we don't have winter here, just Colder Fall? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:59 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

tanniynim wrote:
What if we don't have winter here, just Colder Fall? :lol:

do the most that you can with what you have in your AO.

being in FL its about the same for me. last month we had a few nights that dipped just below freezing at my house, and it was in the upper 20's in the some of the areas i hike and camp.

im planning a trip in the next few weeks ( though it cant be a judged entry ) hopefully i can catch one of these cold fronts on a weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am 

Reserved.

Central Texas Death March Surviror!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I am still in for this contest, just trying to figure out the right spot to camp at.

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm 

I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm in.
Just got to see if allowed to camp where i go a lot on gubment land.
About a 3-3 1/2 mile hike to lake.
Calling for Snow tonight and tomorrow here :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

space reserved for my entry. Heading to Roan Mountain in February. Think that'll qualify? :)

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 am 

Reserved for ZSC: 005 members attending the third annual Chapter Wintergeddon Jan 15-17.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next