Ultimate ZS Battle/Scout Belt Thread

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Ultimate ZS Battle/Scout Belt Thread

Post by crypto » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am

gravediggerfour wrote:You will want a second belt.

The HSGI does not hook to you pants but the grippy stuff on the inside of the belt will sure as hell make you think it does.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
And heres a tip: Dont wear a super high-speed cobra buckle gunbelt to hold your pants up while wearing a war belt, or the stacked buckles will hurt like a motherfucker when you prone out.

Theres a reason why cops have a buckleless velcro pants belt under their duty rigs.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

crypto wrote:

The HSGI does not hook to you pants but the grippy stuff on the inside of the belt will sure as hell make you think it does.

And heres a tip: Dont wear a super high-speed cobra buckle gunbelt to hold your pants up while wearing a war belt, or the stacked buckles will hurt like a motherfucker when you prone out.

Theres a reason why cops have a buckleless velcro pants belt under their duty rigs.
Or wear your pistol belt BELOW your pants belt:

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am

AKFTW wrote:
crypto wrote:

Or wear your pistol belt BELOW your pants belt:

I try to do that, I like to wear it on my hips to pretend Im Han Solo, and because it distributes the weight better. It still rides up when you run and Ive gotten nailed when I flopped prone. In fact, I'm pretty sure thats how I broke the fastex buckle at last years class.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

prepshop
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead

Post by prepshop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Damn it's like a Swiss army belt... badass! Where did you pick up the MOLLE gear?

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

crypto wrote:

I don't do it all the time, but when you absolutely want to make sure your belt doesn't move, you can wear a Velcro inner belt. When I do it, it's super secure.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

crypto wrote:I try to do that, I like to wear it on my hips to pretend Im Han Solo, and because it distributes the weight better. It still rides up when you run and Ive gotten nailed when I flopped prone. In fact, I'm pretty sure thats how I broke the fastex buckle at last years class.
I've run my belts like this for years, and the main thing is to make sure your pants belt buckle is the right shape. The Spec Ops "Better BDU Belt" I wear is such that it prevents the belt from riding up in the front ever, and if you have it properly adjusted for your hips it won't ride up in the back either. Very stable, though I would not set it up the same way if I was carrying 2-3 loaded rifle mags on it. But for 2 pistol mags, pistol, IFAK, and dump pouch it's perfect.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:58 pm

crypto wrote:

Good info, because I was about to do just that. Thanks for saving me the pain. :clownshoes: I had no idea cops had pants like that either. Would a standard riggers belt work well? I'll send a link to the one I use for EDC here in a few.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Get the HSGI rtf.

Also, I did run cobra belt for pants and fastex duty belt for the rig, no double up problems that I recall. I do not have a hard time believing that fastex will give out at some point though. I find the wider duty belt works better for me. I do believe my rig is worn lower though like others have said.

I don't really have much for hips, so I keep it pretty snug around just above my hip bones. Has to be snug with 3 or 4 ak or AR mags, 3 pistol mags, and a bunch of crap in a dump pouch on me. The wide duty belt helps with some of the roll over on the top (weight of everything pulling up and out and then down, rolling the top of the belt), but by the end of the day the sucker looks like it's going to flip.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 pm

I didn't have a problem with stacked cobra buckle and fastex buckle either. Of course we didn't do much of anything in traditional prone. Mostly we were twisting and turning on our sides trying to get our sights low enough to shoot through those little fucking holes at the bottom of the 9 hole barricade. Also I was wearing a chest rig and have a gut. If you were in prone on asphalt, taking cover and shooting over a parking space bumper or something, stacked buckles would probably suck.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:43 pm

RTF_Squared wrote: Good info, because I was about to do just that. Thanks for saving me the pain. :clownshoes: I had no idea cops had pants like that either. Would a standard riggers belt work well? I'll send a link to the one I use for EDC here in a few.
Heres a belt like my wife has to keep her uniform pants up:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sa99bure15in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Super simple, its just a velcro strip.

But yeah, I had on my awesome cobra pants belt on, with a big fastex buckle inner belt inside my battle belt on top of that, and when I'd flop prone, I could definitely feel the buckle in my belly.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Cool stuff guys, thanks for the advice. I'll be ordering the HSGI sooner than later, unless one of you guys has a used one you want to sell or barter for. I hate buying new shit if used is available.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

well got a proper holster today in the mail from RTF_squared.

So far so good. Retention on the holster is downright ridiculous. If i secure the holster to a bridge I could hang midgets from my pistol grip. It requires a sharp tug in order to remove my FN from its new home, This is exactly what I was after. Nowjust waiting for the rest of my gear to show up. You gotta love custom gear, but sometimes it is hard to wait.

After I get a chance to run this gear through it's paces I will give a more thorough review of both this holster and the pouches and chest rig from 762 tactical. Now I just have to figure the best arrangement of a double pistol and double ak mag pouch along with light and pistol. In other words I will be going back through most of this post and then experimenting based on others set ups.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 pm

To anyone that has used both... Any reason why I should spend the extra cash on an HSGI belt over an ATS belt? I used the ATS in Afghanistan, and the only issue I had was a bit of rolling on the pistol side. Will the HSGI do anything better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 am

Does Safariland or someone make a drop or lower hanging holster that i can attach to my (pants) belt without having to strap it to my leg as well?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 am

Bladetech makes a drop and offset kit for belt holsters.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am

0122358 wrote:Does Safariland or someone make a drop or lower hanging holster that i can attach to my (pants) belt without having to strap it to my leg as well?
Safariland offers an adapter that will drop the holster a few inches, but that's perhaps not as much as you are looking for.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

0122358 wrote:Does Safariland or someone make a drop or lower hanging holster that i can attach to my (pants) belt without having to strap it to my leg as well?
Are you trying to get "around" something such as side plates or pouches?
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Ok after using the 1gen bat belt for a while I upgraded to a hsgi belt. My next upgrades are a better flashlight pouch, a dump pouch and a new kydex sheath for my knife, gotta match the od green of my holster and mag pouches.

I may change from the current holster attachment to one with a slight drop, may not too. Just depends on how it feels over the next month or so. I think I'll add a hsgi bleeder pouch and possibly a water bottle pouch. Some type of gadget pouch too.
ZS#4545

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:
Id like to be able to keep my fixed blade/multitool combo and my sidearm on my first line (pants belt) So if im around camp or in my sleeping bag (I sleep with my clothes on) or what ever i still have accses to those items

Granted i could just leave it on my battle belt and not worry about it, but id like to give it a try. Besides worst come to worst and im forced to DiDi the fuck out of camp or my truck or somthing ill still have my E&E Ration, Pocket survival pouch, my handgun and knife/multitool

Does my idea make any sense?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:02 pm

0122358 wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:
Id like to be able to keep my fixed blade/multitool combo and my sidearm on my first line (pants belt) So if im around camp or in my sleeping bag (I sleep with my clothes on) or what ever i still have accses to those items

Granted i could just leave it on my battle belt and not worry about it, but id like to give it a try. Besides worst come to worst and im forced to DiDi the fuck out of camp or my truck or somthing ill still have my E&E Ration, Pocket survival pouch, my handgun and knife/multitool

It makes sense for the reasons you listed.

Not the way I would do it but I understand what you are saying. I was just getting more info to make sure you were not trying to get around a gear issue like side plates by jumping to a drop leg.

check out this http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure- ... -mid-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/prod ... d=6004-DFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and this one http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/safar ... crets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can get away with just mounting it to your belt is the number one solution IMHO unless it gets floppy on you. If its floppy a better belt could solve the problem also.

hope this helps.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:
0122358 wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:

It makes sense for the reasons you listed.

Not the way I would do it but I understand what you are saying. I was just getting more info to make sure you were not trying to get around a gear issue like side plates by jumping to a drop leg.

check out this http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure- ... -mid-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/prod ... d=6004-DFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and this one http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/safar ... crets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can get away with just mounting it to your belt is the number one solution IMHO unless it gets floppy on you. If its floppy a better belt could solve the problem also.

hope this helps.
Awsome exactly what i was looking for.

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Just went through the whole thread.

Back in the day, I was all about belt type-rigs and eventually grew to hate them with flak jackets and ALICE Packs (and M-16s, but that's another story). I hopped on the vest/ chest rig concept and that's were I've been for the past several years. Now I've come back around to the belt concept. I might just stop by the army surplus shop tomorrow and possibly see what they have.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 pm

http://www.skdtac.com/MSM-Stealth-Utili ... sm.201.htm
Does this admin pouch make my belt look big?

I wanted a pouch a bit smaller, but it still had to fit my range finder. I originally was going to go with the Tactical Tailor enhanced admin pouch, but they don't offer it in Ranger Green, and I wasn't going to pay double the price for a custom one. This move allowed me to balance the belt better and consolidate all my stuff together. In the admin pouch is my rangefinder, map, compass, whistle, chem light, flashlight, tp, lighter, Chapstick, bandanna, etc.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm

looks like it might be in the way when your seated, could cause your belt to ride up. Other than that, maybe just move it around maybe.
ZS#4545

Return to “Bug Out Gear”