It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Um, as the guy who lost his pistol running at least twice.... :lol: :oops: yay dropsafe weapons.

YMMV. Some love it, some don't need it. After I got my tension adjusted, it never fell out again (and this is a p226 which weighs about 3 glocks, so it may account for extra force bounciness while running like a dumbass). I think GD4 ran his 19 in a doh without any retention issues.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 pm 

I have a safari land with level 3 retention, it aint coming out.

And it was a 17.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm 

Holy shit, this thread just declared war on my wallet :twisted:

Question:

I see lots of Tacos. Are you guys primary using these rather than kydex in order to carry more mags or is kydex just impractical? I was thinking of an HSGI with Raven carriers for AR mags.

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:54 pm 

Taco's do it all.

Ak mags-yes
Ar mags- yes
M14 mags-yes
Multiple pistol mags in one rifle taco-yes
Gps-yes
Smokes-yes
Candy bar-yes
Doritos locos-yes
For the fucking win-yes

Find a kydex pouch to do the same-NOPE!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Cat approved.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This thread has been driving me crazy for a year now. FINALLY I have something almost good enough to add to the pile.

Here it is: everything I would need for a pistol training day at the range. I figure my chest rig (whenever I get it built) will support the rifle, this will do pistol and basic sustainment things for me, for now.

Support side:
-Two dual pistol mags. One is a Tactical Tailor, the other is there until I replace it with another TT :)
-Scrapyard Urban Mutt
-Obligatory Maxped dump pouch

Strong side:
-5.11 nalgene carrier
-Glock 19 in a Safariland holster, dropped just a little bit with some Crossbreed J-clips I had laying around. Working on a better solution, but it works well for the moment.
-TT utility pouch used as a FAK. Hyfin chest seal, TQ, Izzy, shears, some duct tape, and some baby aspirin for when I start whining about how much this all weighs. :)
Flashlight in some offbrand flashlight carrier.

All of it hangin of a Blackhawk belt, it seems to work for me.

I know it looks like the water and ifak are crowding the holster, but when I have everything on, it balances out pretty well.

I may move the fak farther to the 1 oclock and find a new home for the flashlight, but I want to run it like this a time or two just to see what I like/hate.

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm 

gravediggerfour wrote:
Taco's do it all.
Multiple pistol mags in one rifle taco-yes
For the fucking win-yes

Find a kydex pouch to do the same-NOPE!

Interest is peaked - any chance I could get a visual on this one? Thanks GD4.

NXP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm 

Crypto what Glock is your cat carrying?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:10 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Mister Dark wrote:

I know it looks like the water and ifak are crowding the holster, but when I have everything on, it balances out pretty well.

It's a little hard to tell from pics, but my first thought was you water and ifak may get in the way of you draw. Practice your draw from various positions and make sure they won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:16 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Big B wrote:
It's a little hard to tell from pics, but my first thought was you water and ifak may get in the way of you draw. Practice your draw from various positions and make sure they won't be an issue.

Yea, I knew folks would notice that. When I have the belt on, the holster is at 3 o clock, right on my hip. The fak and water are farther 'around the bend' so to speak, and so far haven't gotten in the way when I practice draws from a standing position. Haven't played with it too muchn and it may wind up annoying the hell out of me. We shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 am 

Mister Dark wrote:
Big B wrote:

Yea, I knew folks would notice that. When I have the belt on, the holster is at 3 o clock, right on my hip. The fak and water are farther 'around the bend' so to speak, and so far haven't gotten in the way when I practice draws from a standing position. Haven't played with it too muchn and it may wind up annoying the hell out of me. We shall see.

Prone may be a bitch to be in.
I like to keep the front of my waist line as empty as possible. I don't mind some mag pouches on my chest, as it is usually elevated when in prone shooting position, but my waist has to be as close to the ground and, as comfortable as possible. IFAK is something you use in emergencies only, so I keep mine anywhere between 5 and 7 o'clock.

edit: Sorry, laziness got the better of me. I did not read the beginning of the post where you said this is strictly a pistol rig. But, I still don't think I would keep IFAk at the front.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm 

So in regards to FAK position I know a lot of folks run in on the back of the belt but I cant help but wonder since your FAK is tasked for working on you if you get hit wouldnt it be better to locate it in the front? (Assuming of course that you end up on your back... but your aid renderer will need you to be on your back for breathing/ vitals, etc) I understand it could be in the way, but what is the priority? I suppose if you deliver more accurate fire you may not need the FAK's contents!!

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:
If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm 

The design and placement of the FAK is a huge factor. I can reach mine with both hands, getting the shears out is problematic without both hands.

The pull tab on the HSGI that dumps all the contents out is nice for a "O shit I need it now" and a good hard tug will get the TQ off.

I for one would not have it up front taking up realestate that could be used to keep you from needing the FAK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm 

gravediggerfour wrote:
The design and placement of the FAK is a huge factor. I can reach mine with both hands, getting the shears out is problematic without both hands.

The pull tab on the HSGI that dumps all the contents out is nice for a "O shit I need it now" and a good hard tug will get the TQ off.

I for one would not have it up front taking up realestate that could be used to keep you from needing the FAK.

So you are saying you agree? I was just thinking about my statement of teammates helping you out, but the fact is unless we are in a squad... no one is helping us but ourselves so it better be accessible by you, with either hand. Either way I see some merit to having it up front instead of in the rear with less critical equipment.

I had considered the velcro panel pull off style IFAK pouches but if one hand was un-useable you rip it off the very inconvenient placement spot and then open it how? pull items out of stiff nylon pockets how? With no solid mounting to hold it in place it seems a lot of one handed manipulation would be a lot more difficult when you really dont need it to be. The HSGI bleeder pouch seems like a good mix of accessibility and placement but unless you have everything bundled together isnt it fairly going to puke the components all over the place when you yankola?(I dont have one so Im asking)

gravediggerfour wrote:
For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

TravisM.1 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm 

Tommy Tran wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:

So you are saying you agree? I was just thinking about my statement of teammates helping you out, but the fact is unless we are in a squad... no one is helping us but ourselves so it better be accessible by you, with either hand. Either way I see some merit to having it up front instead of in the rear with less critical equipment.

I had considered the velcro panel pull off style IFAK pouches but if one hand was un-useable you rip it off the very inconvenient placement spot and then open it how? pull items out of stiff nylon pockets how? With no solid mounting to hold it in place it seems a lot of one handed manipulation would be a lot more difficult when you really dont need it to be. The HSGI bleeder pouch seems like a good mix of accessibility and placement but unless you have everything bundled together isnt it fairly going to puke the components all over the place when you yankola?(I dont have one so Im asking)

My FAK is at about the 4-5 on my belt and I have no problem reaching it. Yes if I pull the tab the contents of my pouch come out.
Inside the pouch are 3 things.
1. Izzy dressing new in package
2. Quick clot gauze.
3. 2 pairs latex gloves (those are for use on others)
4. Duct taped credit card

Outside the pouch is a pair of trauma shears and a TQ.
So all the contents dropping out onto the ground really does not matter much since its purpose is to plug a hole that’s spurting bright red all over me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm 

Ok, I guess with simple contents I guess it isnt as big a deal

gravediggerfour wrote:

TravisM.1 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Yea, I have bounced back and forth on the location of the fak/gsw kit. To be honest, there isnt much more room on the belt besides dead center in the back. I could go to 3 pistol mag pouches and ditch the big honkin knife (considering that already) and put the fak on that side. I do, however, strongly believe in having the kit where I can get to it easily with both hands. And not behind my back. Whether I have to work on myself or another person, I need to see what I am grabbing, not take precious seconds to fumble around. But that is just me. I do want to get a pullout panel for the kit, that may change the equation somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My 2c

Put it on the back.

Guess what? These belts come off easy. If you can open a pouch, you can hit your buckle and roll off of it if you need to, or drop it before you go down. Realistically, these are training belts. We're not going to war in our backyards tomorrow. If you disagree with this point and say the belt stays on, that's cool too. Spin the fucker around.

I can reach my kit fine, and can get the shears fine at my 5. I run a GS kit on the belt. I keep a big fucking oh shit bag of 1st aid in the car, a supplement gs kit in the range bag. I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 am 

^^ full agreement.

A blow out kit is there for immediate first aid on the line, on duty, or on the trail.

Its there till you can get to the next level of care. That could be a buddy, an aid bag (complete first aid/ trauma bag),a medic, ambulance, or ER.

Chances of survival dramatically increase with proper use of a few simple items that you can conveniently carry on your belt, pouch or pocket.

Simple first aid kits save lives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 am 

Hey Sigboy...on the very fist page in your first evolution of the belt...you had a Spec ops shell holder...i cant find one anywhere...link please?

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

I ended up putting my IFAK on my 4-5 O'clock. Because I couldn't always reach it very well I ended up putting an extra tourniquet on my opposite side hip. Didn't take up much extra space and I didn't mind having the extra tourniquet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm 

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/a ... the-night/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm 

0122358 wrote:
Hey Sigboy...on the very fist page in your first evolution of the belt...you had a Spec ops shell holder...i cant find one anywhere...link please?

That would be because its not Spec Ops, I still have it, I love it. There is only one shell carrier I like more. I just wish that I could get this one in Foliage Green (as GD4 put it, I got out before I had to wear it, that's why I like it so much)
http://www.specialforces.com/tactical-gear/pouches/marksman-s-bullet-tray-carrier

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 pm 

A short trip into the woods late last week turned into the perfect opportunity to run a review of my current belt set up. I noticed a few diffeciencies, a few things that should be stocked a little better. However, here is my belt, in all its infamous glory:
Notice this is set up in this configeration for hunting with an AR type rifle, ammo count is simple, two rifle mags and one pistol mag. I prefer to run 20 rd mags on the belt, the shorter height keeps them out of the way. Note:In 6.8 this is a 15 rd capacity.
Front pouch-Compass, signal mirror, duct tape roll and P51 can opener
We all know what a pistol looks like, and you can guess from my name. Sig P226R, in 40S&W
Holster is a BladeTech, Black Ice with the DOH adapter
Standard USGI Molle Canteen pouch. I'm proud of how far I have stretched this pouch. In the main compartment I have a cheap poncho, space blanket, SAM splint, aluminum foil, canteen cup with stand, and a Nalgene Canteen. One side pouche holds water purification tablets and Trioxane fuel (not shown). The other holds two waterproof match containers, one with matches and the other vasoline cotton balls.
My custom made Kydex sheath, built by Mashed Cat Outfitters in Idaho
And all its contents- My field knife, a 5" knife built by John Roy knives out of Arizona, A Leatherman Wave, Swedish firesteel, and a Spyderco ceramic sharpening stone.
This shows the conglameration of pouches on the left front of the belt. It consists of a KYWY double mag pouch, a Blackhawk kydex single mag pouch, a Maxpedition flashlight pouch and a Maxpedition 4x6 utility pouch.
The flashlight is a Browning, cant remmber the model. It has an Incandescent white bulb, two white LEDs, two blue LEDs and two red LEDs. Runs off of two CR123 batteries, but has great battery life.
In the pouch is my rangefinder, a grunt call, wind indicator/foot powder, ear plugs, mini lightstick, a small boo boo FAK, and most importantly, MRE toilet paper. Not shown is the lighter and chapstick that are normally also included.
The belt its self is a VTACs Brokos belt, size XL. Inner belt is their Riggers belt with Cobra buckle.
Not shown are the zipties I have running between the inner and outer belts, and a handcuff key I have in the back on a piece of shock cord.
All the kydex is painted with Alumahyde paint from Brownells. Their OD green is really light, and looks almost like a ranger green. It matches fairly well too.

Things I forgot and/or normally are in a fully stocked belt:
Handkerchief
Trioxane tablets 1-2 packages
zipties
lighter
chapstick

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next