It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Kodiak BOB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm 

I have a few more things to add and a few things incoming. This is just a start and my first attempt at a BOB. So any critiques are very welcome. It isn't super heavy and actually rides very comfortably. I have walked quite a few miles with it on my back and felt fine. Any comments, questions, or critiques are very welcome!

The bag:

I feel that the bag is pretty much perfect for what I'm using it for. The organization in this bag is top notch for sure. I have heard that many people say that the bag can get uncomfortable over long distances or at heavy weights. I have not notice this at all, in fact I have used the bag quite a bit and with the stabilizer strap I have found it comfortable on my hikes. I don't really have the bag very loaded right now. It sits at around 9-10 lbs. I have placed a 5lb weight in it to simulate some extra gear and found that it still feels fine. I think under 15lbs is the sweet spot. Any more and you may run into discomfort on longer trips.

Lets crack it open:

In this pocket I hold my EDC organizer, my Fenix TA21 flashlight, and 100ft of Foliage green 550 paracord.

Here is my EDC organizer opened up inside from left to right I have a benchmade 940, a DMT diamond coarse/fine sharpener, Zebra pen, SAK, Micro stream, slim whistle, Magnesium fire starter, and Deet bug repellent. Behind that I have a two person emergency blanket.

In this pocket I have a lot of strike anywhere matches. I also have a leatherman blast, a tactical streamlight, bear grylls fire starter, 123 batteries, a micro fiber towel, and water purification tablets.

in this pocket I have two emergency panchos, 2 hot hands packets, and two glow sticks.

My water bottle also has a space saver pot which fits perfectly around my 32oz. nalgene water bottle. I can couple this with my little pocket stove and boil my water.

This side of the bag has another flashlight. (Can you tell I'm a sucker for lights lol.)

In the main compartment I have an emergency tent, another two person space blanket, another 100 ft of paracord, my Pocket stove, a FAK, an Emergency tarp, 2 more packs of hot hands, 2 protein bars, and two vials of hand sanitizer that includes alcohol.

Thats it, Im sure that I could cut back some of the redundancy in the light and fire department but I like having a few options. I have a scrapyard scrapper 5 on the way for a fixed blade. I'm also going to get a sawyer squeeze water purifier. Any other suggestions for what I should add let me know. Thanks for checking it out and sorry for the crappy pictures lol.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: My Kodiak BOB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 am 

For one person, which is what I imagine this pack would be, it looks pretty good. I was thinking about suggesting items to it, but started on my usual path to finding multi-taskers (MT) whenever possible. I thought snare wire, but remembered you have rope. Also thought fishing line, but that's covered by the cord too. Then, I thought about a hankie, shemagh, or the like. You don't have much in the lines of that, other than the ponchos and mylar blanket.(thought about listing uses, but there are too many I can think of.) Might be worth the coin to add one. Hand sanitizer is a MT, so no problem there. Rope, we already talked about. Cup is a total MT, same with the bottle. The lights are kind of uni-taskers, but useful. I don't see spare batteries for them in your pics though. Last thing I thought about was a first aid kit, just in case.

You'll have to update when you add the ScrapYard. Great pack by the way, I've been debating a long time over the Sitka and Kodiak. Thought about the Monsoon for a while, but I dunno. It started looking funny, and didn't look like it would work the way I would want it to. Anyway, I'm rambling now. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:42 am 

That paracord looks a lot like the Rothco paracord I got of of amazon. From what I've read it's cheap and doesn't really hold up well. I assume it'll do in a pinch but you may want to upgrade it to some better quailty stuff. Beside that I'd probably throw a little more food in there, but then again I'm new to this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 am 

Yeah that's the paracord, I haven't heard that. I'll look in to getting some other brand of cord. I will update when I get the knife for sure! Im going to get a bandana, some fishing line and hooks, and some duct tape. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am 

Since you said BOB I am going to assume a 3 day minimum run time on that kit. That being said at a minimum i would add...

Socks
Undies
Food for 3+ days
Beanie, or muti-purpose balaclava
Gloves, thermal and work
A more dedicated shelter (GI poncho at a minimum)
Sun Hat
Sun Screen
Contractor bags...not necessary but too handy and to packable to not include

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:02 pm 

Shaper thanks for the suggestions those are good ones! I'll def look in to picking those items up!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 pm 

Is that exterior flashlight dummy-corded to your pack? If it's not it needs to be. emergency poncho is crap better off with a sil-nylon or a contractor bag.

Possibly swap one of the flashlights for a Headlight?

Maps? Compass?

Sorry I may have missed them I was in a hurry.

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140

brothaman wrote:
you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.

ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:27 pm 

Added a compass today. Still need to pick up some maps of my area. I have a headlamp ordered and I'm going to zip tie the flashlight on to it. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think to secure it very well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm 

I like it that your bag is light and versatile. Seems like tortoise vs hare, both have got a lot going for 'em.

More gear vs less weight; all about finding that sweet spot between. I think with tools included mine's gonna be about 50lbs. Pretty damn heavy compared, but 'the Tao is like the bending of a bow'... If I get out and about hiking/running with it, it'll be a lot less heavier than otherwise. I've started boxing to build up my torso, bring on the pain :) Plus it means if any zombies get up close I'll be in a good position to lay them to rest, that they may find peace once again. Next week with ShovelBoy... BoB Boxing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 pm 

Moonberrys wrote:
I'm going to zip tie the flashlight on to it. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think to secure it very well.

Might consider shock cord and jam the cord into the pocket before the light. That way you can pull the light while wearing the pack and still use it cuz it will stretch when you pull it or you could just put add a lanyard with a clip and clip it to the ring almost directly over the top .

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140

brothaman wrote:
you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.

ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 pm 

Alright, I'll look in to that. Yeah I'm an avid weightlifter so this pack feels like nothing really. But lugging around 50lbs seems like it could wear you down pretty fast lol. Do you have a thread on your pack? I would definitely be interested in seeing what you have in it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 pm 

I would probably consider adding some basic things like duct tape, lighter (I saw you had plenty of other fire-making devices but a lighter is convenient), signal mirror perhaps, bandanna and maybe a collapsible water bottle for a bit more liquid if needed. I would also add a fair bit more food, enough for at least a solid day if not three. I would shoot for 2000-2500 kcal per day if you can, even one solid days worth would be good to have. Without seeing or listing your FAK it is hard to say if anything is needed there. Socks are also another useful item as mentioned, your feet are always valuable and keeping them happy is good. I would also toss in a small roll of Tp, I know leaves work but I never find particularly pleasant.

As for the flashlights, while I know you said you are a suckers for them I would consider dropping one or even two and then adding the previously mentioned headlamp. I really don't seem much need for 4 if I counted correctly. While your pack weight is good I see no real argument for that many unless you were planning on being with other people. in which case the other contents would be lacking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:29 am 

-Better shelter, in the form of a poncho I'd say would do well for keeping lightweight.
-Duct Tape, Zipties, Wire will go a long way.
-More food, a mix of dry and ready to eat will keep weight in check while allowing you to eat on the move, but dry will need to be cooked with water.
-Socks are seconded, I always carry spares, even in my EDC bag(Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack).

Do you really need that many lights?? I'm not telling you to get rid of them, but unless you really do own a tonne of lights, put one beside your bed, one in the glovebox of your car, etc. It will also cut down on weight.

Have you ever slept in a survival bag?? They suck. Really. They don't breathe and you wake up sweating and covered in condensation. Get a super compact sleeping bag or poncho liner instead, you'll enjoy your nights rest much more.

Other than that, you're off to a good start!

Cheers,
Sean.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Definitely a good start. I liked my Kodiak too. You are right about the weight, and the weights people (ME) will complain about with that pack are over 20#. 15# is just about the maximum. Keep the weight right around where you are at and you'll love it. I did a 6mile hike with mine loaded up to nearly 30# and was miserable from the strap digging into my shoulder like Mr Spock or something. I really liked the organization with the pack (the sitka too).

Suggestions:
As others have said, if and when you can add higher quality, do so. Better grade ponchos, para etc.
find some merino wool socks or something synthetic (will be light, dry fast yadayada)
Throw a couple high calorie/protein bars in there, your grocery store will have half an aisle for you to choose from.
sunscreen/head covering. Used to carry a boonie type hat, now carry something like this http://www.rei.com/product/789718/buff-wool-buff or just get a shemaugh.

Really good start though! You have under 12 knives in your first attempt. Gold star.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:49 am 

I agree with many of the suggestions above. You need a headlight for sure. Shelter should be high on your list. A woodland poncho with a liner can go a long way. I mean your planning for colder weather if you pack hand warmers, but the rest of your body will be cold without a better shelter. Credit carding duct tape is relatively light weight and does not take up much room. Don't forget TP! You don't want to be wiping your ass with poison oak! :lol: Another idea is to have some sort of reference guide. I personally carry the small SAS guide and survival playing cards(two birds with one stone there). Pack a little more food. I believe sun screen and bug spray was mentioned. I did not see this mentioned and disregard this if i missed it, but some sort of sharpening device to keep your toys sharp. Zip lock bags.

Otherwise its a great start you have there.

Good luck
N-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:13 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Good start. I love my Sitka and use it for dayhikes (I have reviews on here somewhere); but, as soon as I get out of the "sweet spot" regarding weight--it gets mighty uncomfortable.

I do second the concerns regarding your ponchos, tube tent, and survival bag. A GI poncho and liner will go much further and be way more versatile. Those wally-world items are not bad as survival items in a EDC role where they might have to be used once in an emergency; but, are not robust enough for continued use in 3+ day bug out scenario. Quite a few lights too, but to each their own on that, I would still like to see one replaced with a headlamp. More food also. One last part I'll add, is that some of the fire starters, lights, hanky and knife and multitool can also be carried on your person which will keep them handy for immediate use and free up pack space. Overall, you're looking good.

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 am 

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking into getting a Kodiak myself, mainly to use as a "get home" bag or for day hikes.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm 

Hiker72 wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking into getting a Kodiak myself, mainly to use as a "get home" bag or for day hikes.

I would say get one! I think they function perfect in that niche. If you have any questions or want to see something specific just let me know and I can help you out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 am 

About the paracord, cut a small piece off and gut it. If it has 7 strands of smaller white nylon cord then it's good. If it has a bunch of crimped fibrous multi-colored polyester threads, it's crap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 pm 

The paracord has 7 tightly twirled white strands. So I'm guessing it's good to go.