Anyone use work gear? (Carhartt, Dakota, Dickies, ect?)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

greg1

Anyone use work gear? (Carhartt, Dakota, Dickies, ect?)

Post by greg1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey, I have some nice work gear and was wondering if it would do me any good in the woods. I have a waterproof Dakota setup (overalls and a jacket), that is light weight, easy to pack and it looks solid for the woods. I've never had to put the gear through its paces camping, and I guess thats the best way to find out...

But, just out of curiosity, do any of yall run some work gear in your camping apparel?

northernxposure

Re: Anyone use work gear? (Carhartt, Dakota, Dickies, ect?)

Post by northernxposure » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I like my nylon front Carhartts if I'm out in the thick stuff. Seems to wear good and doesn't pick up all the burrs. It can be heavy, and if the duck canvas part sops up water you'll be wet for a bit.

The pants themselves wear like iron though. Have gotten a lot of hard use out of them.

NXP

Ramius

Post by Ramius » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:59 pm

The cotton duck material makes much of the clothing less than optimal in wet conditions, but I still stock up on cotton duck clothing for use around the home and some everyday wear. It's still very durable and will outlast other clothing lines from other manufacturers. The cotton factor isn't much of a concern around the home, because I can always go indoors to change into something dry. Additionally, if working around open flames, cotton duck is far more preferable than synthetics.

Some companies offer clothing that is synthetic or a blend of polyester and cotton, which is what I tend to stock up on for outdoor wear.

My pants are usually Dickies comfort waist band models (works well with IWB CCW and adding thermal underwear) and Dickies long sleeved work shirts in 65% polyester / 35% cotton. I buy the shirts one size larger than I normally wear for additional room to move and adding thermal layers. Other times I use Propper BDU pants in the same fabric blend.

For a three season waterproof coat, I like Carhartt's waterproof breathable jacket. The fabric feels far more durable than traditional fabrics offered by other outdoor companies (i.e. North Face). It has kept me dry after spending several hours in the rain. The jacket is a little too warm to wear during the summer, but Carhartt also offers a very light weight Arcadia jacket. I don't have one yet, but I plan to pick one up soon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTKVideoPro ... ature=mhum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 pm

I worked for a land surveying company in Ohio for 4 1/2 yrs. before joining the Marines and really loved my Carhartt gear,
+they are great for supercold weather when I'm just standing around
+they are nearly indestructable, especially in thorns and thickets

BUT:
-heavy and miserable if soaked thru (which is not easy to do, but possible, think falling in a creek :x )
-way to hot to wear if active, especially if humping a pack and putting miles between yourself and a shitstorm
-they don't pack up worth a damn
-I'll say heavy again

So, if you're camping and it's cold and you don't have far to walk to the campsite - go for it! Survival/BOB, think breathable and layers.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 pm

I like my Dickies work pants. They work great for the outdoors, but like said, not in wet weather. My brown pair even can pass off for a pair of slacks (when clean) Plus they are cheeper than most of the jeans I used to wear.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Lex1785
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later. Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Lex1785 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:35 pm

I have a Walls Jacket and love it. lightweight, durable, water resistant (wore it in a sleet storm recently and faired really well was very pleased and only slightly damp). I plan on picking up a set of cover-alls as well. the price is relatively low only thing is have to pick them up at walmart.
The Hooba Dooba broke, my blog from tactical to nonsense.

- Size doesn't matter. Its all about shot placement. -

Semper Fi.

Black Spruce

Post by Black Spruce » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I usually wear Carhartts or some other type of Cotton Duck work pant when I'm doing fieldwork. They hold up great, provide good protection from thorns and sticks, and are almost kinda water-repellant (especially if you don't wash them often). But, as previous posters have commented, they're relatively hot and heavy and not comfortable if soaked.

Right now, if I had to bug out, they're what I'd be wearing.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Carhartt coveralls="Outside Jammies"; I actually look forward to the weather getting cold enough to wear them again.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I have a carhart coat i love. Just bought a Walls from sportsmans guide for 55 bucks too. Good stuff in the cold here
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 pm

omega_man wrote:
+they are great for supercold weather when I'm just standing around
+they are nearly indestructable, especially in thorns and thickets
BUT:
-heavy and miserable if soaked thru (which is not easy to do, but possible, think falling in a creek :x )
-way to hot to wear if active, especially if humping a pack and putting miles between yourself and a shitstorm
-they don't pack up worth a damn
-I'll say heavy again
Great synopsis. I'd add that in some parts, they're the bee's knees for doing "Grey Man"
And add Duluth Traders to the list.

KYZHunters wrote:Carhartt coveralls="Outside Jammies"
Awesome.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I've only owned 2 carhart coats and they are pretty sturdy as others have said. Only reason I got a new one is cause my first one was about 6 years old and is very abused. I also have a pair of carhart overalls that I love, got a repair on the ass from a chainsaw whoops but other than that they are great. I have a blue dickies button up shirt that I like to wear sometimes but haven't really abused it yet.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 pm

I have 3 sets of Carhartts ( heavy jacket and overalls ) in tactical black. One for work, one for hunting and one that stays clean. They keep me warm, dry and can take a beating.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Seven2
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Seven2 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Carhartt ftw.
I'ma make a deal with the bad wolf so the bad wolf don’t bite no more.

madmachinist

Post by madmachinist » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 am

If you want the toughest comfortable clothing look no further than http://www.duluthtrading.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We have tested some of their fire hose material clothes for military use... amazingly tough and comfortable and approved by all who tested it.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:42 am

madmachinist wrote:If you want the toughest comfortable clothing look no further than http://www.duluthtrading.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We have tested some of their fire hose material clothes for military use... amazingly tough and comfortable and approved by all who tested it.
I was interested in this stuff but was told it was like wearing a cardboard box. Thoughts?
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 am

Carhartt all the way for me. Used to go strait hunting after work didn't need to change. They take a lot to destroy.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

madmachinist

Post by madmachinist » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 am

Oneswunk wrote:
madmachinist wrote:If you want the toughest comfortable clothing look no further than http://www.duluthtrading.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We have tested some of their fire hose material clothes for military use... amazingly tough and comfortable and approved by all who tested it.
I was interested in this stuff but was told it was like wearing a cardboard box. Thoughts?
My squad threw their stuff in the drier on no heat all day to soften it. It is stiff when you get it kinda like a good leather boot but breaks in so nice.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 am

I only own carhartt jeans nothing else
i have carhartt coveralls and coats
they are awesome

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:29 am

Dickies pants. One of the few clothes I have found more durable than issue BDUs. They blend in, in the city a lot better too.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 am

How can you beat Dickies? 20 bucks a pair, enough poly in em to dry out quick when wet. I get either the cargo ones or the ones with double material in the knees. I wear them at work, and I don't see any reason to not use them as prep gear.

TWENTY BUCKS A PAIR???!!!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 pm

I have had bad luck with Carharts in the woods around my parts. It's he whole cotton/wet thing. You can have an 80 degree summer day here and still find something other than a creek to fall into that'll get you wet. I have not been using Carharts for outdoor wear since 2000.

I wear Dickies pants daily at the office. Cheapest/sturdiest/office suitable combo is perfect for me. Dickies, in the last few years is now getting to be my home/weekend wear too. This summer I did some car camping with Dickies and it was fine but not really a good indicator whether they can handle rough use.

When outdoors, I prefer pants and shirts that can handle wet as I am:
a) Sweaty
b) It rains here
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Just a note, here in Alaska it sems that Carhart is the official wear of everyone that works anythere near the outdoors.

I popped for a new Carhart jacket this last summer - then soaked it (esp the hood) in Scotch guard waterproofing spray. The jacket was picked up for use as a 'car coat'. Stays in the rig. The jacket is bombproof.

Others have said Dickies work pants are great, I'll ditto that.

A cheap jacket (or anything else for that matter) is a bad use of your dough.
A quality jacket pays you back everytime you put it on.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Carhartts are great in the cold and dry.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Carhartt, hands down.

I ride (and work cattle) in the winter, and virtually live in carhartt outerwear. Good to see so many other sensible people here. :)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”