What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by Beowolf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:54 am

RapidM4 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:32 am
An Expedition Research bushcraft grill.
Nice! I got one of those a few months ago. Haven't yet had a chance to test it.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Started on a "real" GHB, rather than something built from leftovers. Gonna have to buy in phases, so phase one is a lightweight 10x10 silnylon tarp, a bug net, some aluminum tri beam stakes, and a hunk of paracord. Everything's kinda off-brand, but with numerous (hundreds) of reviews and a wide enough array of scores I think (hope) they're legit. :?

And here's hoping that--once I get it all--it fits in my ILBE assault pack. I'd really like to not have to find and order a new pack just this moment. I mean, yea, we all like having moar packs...but I have other stuff I'd like to spend the money on.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I dunno if these count as bug out gear, but I bought my first pair of Propper boots. Selected the waterproof Model 100 in Coyote. First fit seems accurate, so that's always good. I've found that my size varies sometimes as much as an entire size up depending on the brand and design, so I'm glad I hit it right the first time.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Spartann

Post by Spartann » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Finally found and bought a pair of ILBE Recon Sustainment Pouches also a SOG barrage pack for a GHB

RapidM4
Favorite Zombie Movies: TWD
Romero

Post by RapidM4 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 am

A Sawyer Mini water filter.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am

Lansky Puck - Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener - Blade & Tool Sharpener

Taytools 107213 3 Piece Set Diamond Sharpening Stones 2” x 6” 150, 220 and 400 Grit

Cold Steel 97MKM Magnum Kukri
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am

I just won a Leatherman Wingman on Ebay for $15.50! My favorite hiking Leatherman. HAs the full scissors and just what you need in a lighter weight tool.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am

moab wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am
I just won a Leatherman Wingman on Ebay for $15.50! My favorite hiking Leatherman. HAs the full scissors and just what you need in a lighter weight tool.

Now you just need to win a second one, so you can hold the nut you're trying to screw the bolt into with the pliers on one while turning the screw with the screwdriver on the other.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Not a purchase, per se - got an engraved Ontario RAT-3 as a "Perfect Attendance" award for the year with the local search and rescue team:

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 am

I didn't buy it, but my wife picked up a new full grain leather belt and buckle for my christmas present. I lost about 30 lbs over the last 2 years and my previous belt had 3 more holes added to it.

It's not exactly gray man, but it's solid and will likely last longer than I'm alive. The lower right hand corner had my initials stamped on it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:43 am

darmstrong wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 am
I didn't buy it, but my wife picked up a new full grain leather belt and buckle for my christmas present. I lost about 30 lbs over the last 2 years and my previous belt had 3 more holes added to it.

It's not exactly gray man, but it's solid and will likely last longer than I'm alive. The lower right hand corner had my initials stamped on it.

Welcome to the forum. Please post an introduction in the introduction thread.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:09 pm

received gifts of a olive drab and a tan MOLLE back for my 2 ESEE knives

lewiswhite

Post by lewiswhite » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 am

Hey guys recently I purchase an apple watch for myself and it is working excellent and then I bought a jacket for $100, basically jacket is of Levi brand and it is looking awesome for me
Last most important thing for this winter I bought a wood stove for myself seriously, this thing worth my money if you compare from rest of two. I buy it online from a site and it is helping me in this winter reason. I am an avid reader so a wood stove and a book is a good combination for me. Image
My wood stove look like a picture above. Thanks for the question

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am

lewiswhite wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 am
Nice stove! Hopefully you are reading books on prepping, survival and zombie slaying. :mrgreen:

lewiswhite

Post by lewiswhite » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 am

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am
lewiswhite wrote:
Nice stove! Hopefully you are reading books on prepping, survival and zombie slaying. :mrgreen:
Haha I am working on it and Yes Offcourse Zombie slaying is my fav hobby :mrgreen: :v:

Mindrasect

Post by Mindrasect » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 am

lewiswhite wrote:
Hey guys recently I purchase an apple watch for myself and it is working excellent and then I bought a jacket for $100, basically jacket is of Levi brand and it is looking awesome for me
Last most important thing for this winter I bought a wood stove for myself seriously, this thing worth my money if you compare from rest of two. I buy it online from a site and it is helping me in this winter reason. I am an avid reader so a wood stove and a book is a good combination for me. Image
My wood stove look like a picture above. Thanks for the question
Hey Lewis that's an awesome jacket, I will buy it for my little brother on his birthday. Last year I also buy a Wood stove for my home, but my wood stove is not that good as I expected Can you tell me the experience of yourself about wood stove.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

I received a two pack of these one quart models for Christmas https://www.amazon.com/5col-Quart-Colla ... B01M05RGLX

Great size to have in a pack or even a cargo pocket when folded down. The mouth opening is a decent size (about 1.25") and should allow a bottle brush to fit inside for cleaning. Supposedly a Sawyer Mini filter will jam in tight. When full of water they will sit upright without tipping.

You have to be sure you've really tightened the lid properly. They have a point where they start to feel tight but can leak. About one more turn gets them closed all the way.

I read of one person who used them as waterproof storage for a brick of .22 LR bullets. Oats, cornmeal, and other dried foodstuffs could be stored in them. They also make larger sizes and are made in the USA.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm

My wife found and allowed me to get a Mouintainsmith Cross Country II pack at a second hand store. Pretty decent price I think. $40. It has been a while since I have bought anything prep related. I plan to use it as the new car bag. The old one is pretty full. This one will also allow my wife and I to carry camping gear. Probably just enough for an overnight, along with our baby daughter. My wife and I are hoping to get back into camping now that our daughter is 16 months old. We will hopefully be getting out in late May and early July. Apparently yesterday the second hand store had a BUNCH of outdoor and tactical gear. It sounds like someone must have just got rid of it all and left. My wife described it as "a bunch of tactical backpacks, some other stuff, and a helmet like GarandThumb wears, oh, and a hat from [a local tactical training company]." It was all gone this morning, except the Mountainsmith. :cry: Well, at least we got to get a useful pack. :)

https://www.tripleblaze.com/106/77/Back ... kpack.html

I also finally downloaded a copy of the family computer to a USB along with all our pictures. I still don't have things like marriage certificates or SSN cards or things like that. This USB is not encrypted, so I want to wait until I get an encrypted/epoxy dipped USB drive before I put those sensitive docs on an electronic device and store in a BOB. But at least I"m finally moving in that direction. The old computer died. Nothing like "necessity" to get one moving on doing what I should have done several years ago.

Ok. New problem in life: The bag is basically too big for my car bag. Really, it has way more room than necessary, though I can probably use that to put utility clothes in there....but this is a nice bag and a nice example of first world problems.

And to top the day off, I found some 40*F sleeping bags on clearance for $10. Those are the compact ones Walmart sells. So $60 in preps today. A good backpack and some acceptable sleeping bags. A good day.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

solrac7
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
28 days later

Post by solrac7 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 pm

Just got a AAA O-light (streamlight knockoff?) from Amazon - awesome little light! Got it to replace an older streamlight (nice AAA light and very happy with it) that only had one setting, this has High (super bright) and low 5 lumens (just enough!) I am really impressed with this cheap little light!
Is that too many exclamation points? it's really pretty cool...

Cb
"I met a girl who sang the blues - asked her for some happy news - she just smiled and turned away..."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 07, 2019 11:34 pm

solrac7 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 pm
Just got a AAA O-light (streamlight knockoff?) from Amazon - awesome little light! Got it to replace an older streamlight (nice AAA light and very happy with it) that only had one setting, this has High (super bright) and low 5 lumens (just enough!) I am really impressed with this cheap little light!
Is that too many exclamation points? it's really pretty cool...

Cb
Olight is a pretty well-known and respected manufacturer in their own right. Their weapon lights are outstanding.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

solrac7
28 days later

Post by solrac7 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm

I just recently had need of a new leatherman - I used my outdoor store credit card points to get the leatherman charge-Ti - nice tool and no complaints (since it was "free" ) but if anyone is thinking about these get the Surge instead - same basic tool, and $60 cheaper... That's what I had before and there really is no significant difference between the two tools. NOW, of course they come out with the new and improved magnet version called the leatherman "Free" I guess I'll have to lose this one in order to justify trying that one !

--Also I am still really pleased with that little O-light.
"I met a girl who sang the blues - asked her for some happy news - she just smiled and turned away..."

solrac7
28 days later

Post by solrac7 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I just purchased titanium credit card emergency lock-picks from CountyComm (similar to credit card survival cards) where in an emergency you can twist the picks out of the card and use them. www.countycomm.com titanium lock pick manipulation card - seems like just the thing to keep in your wallet when you're not carrying your real picks !

Cb

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 pm

solrac7 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm
I just purchased titanium credit card emergency lock-picks from CountyComm (similar to credit card survival cards) where in an emergency you can twist the picks out of the card and use them. www.countycomm.com titanium lock pick manipulation card - seems like just the thing to keep in your wallet when you're not carrying your real picks !

Cb
Careful with those. Under certain circumstances, in some jurisdictions, they can lead to a "possession of burglary tools" charge. As an example, NYC requires you to have a locksmithing license to own picks.

moab

Post by moab » Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm

solrac7 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm
Just ordered a surplus Molle II medium rucksack (I have the 3 day assault pack which I use as an overnight bag - AWESOME...) but I wanted something a little bigger - I got the grade 2 version -used for $69.99 - based on the reviews of others who had bought them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10189 ... e-assembly

They're having a promo for free shipping on orders $99 or more so you could get the grade 1 with free shipping, or go grade 2 and add something worth 30 bucks to give yourself the sense of getting something free...
How are you liking the rucksack? That was my first bug out bag. And it is bomb proof. Use it for hunting now though. As it weighs 10lbs with the backboard. But man is it bombproof. You got the sustainment pouches too? The thing I like about it. Is you can pack it small. But still have enough room to carry 150lbs or more of meat or whatever else you may need to carry on a one time basis. I would not wish this ruck filled full on anyone. I think it's meant to actually carry up to 200lbs IIRC. Did you get ACU? I was thinking about exchanging mine (selling mine and buying another) for the multicam version from Fort Bragg Surplus. I have the ACU version. They used to have them for $70 new. But sold out. Still holding out hope. lol. I've never used an ILBE. But I wonder if I might actually like the rucksack better than the ILBE.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”