What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

claverhouse

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by claverhouse » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Sawyer Mini water filter, Lansky Deluxe Sharpening Set, Lansky Puck, Ortlieb mapcase, back up inflatable summer sleepmat, Trangia 25 Duossal pans, CRKT Onion Foresight and duplicates of my KISS, and M14-04s, titanium hashi
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Just bought a used '92 K2500 Chevy Silverado 4wd on Fri.

It came with a bunch of nice extras

A nice canopy top that has a small opening door or the entire back hinges up.

Set of studded winter tires

Chains, the tailgate (the canopy takes the place of the tailgate), and sandbags to offset the weight of the snowplow that also came with it. (no pics of the plow)

This will eventually replace my 2001 CRV, though holding onto the CRV for a bit until I am sure this new to me truck wont leave me stranded. This truck is also part of a much bigger purchase of 40 acres of raw land, that I am in the process of closing on now. The truck is needed to plow the 2 1/2 mile dirt road that is my access to the property and for being able to carry materials to build a home and other stuff on the property. For more on the property viewtopic.php?f=39&t=118485

A few pics of the property

Yep there is a pond on the property, though hard to see through all the trees. It is about 600 ft long and 125-150 ft wide at the widest.

I am going the early bug out route, and building a homestead now rather than waiting for something to happen and head off to a remote place.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 pm

^^ nice^^ :awesome:
Tony D

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:37 pm

That has my vote for the BEST of "What Have You Bought Lately". :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Duplicate........
Last edited by teotwaki on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:11 pm

On Craigslist I ran across an ad for a used ESEE-6 with a tan sheath but no clip plate. The ad was a month old and asking $120. The ESEE 6 knife with no accessories can be bought for $100 on eBay.

I met up with the owner to discuss pricing and ended up agreeing on $70. Took the knife home, cleaned up some mild rust and sharpened the edge. Serial number is in the mid 2000's as compared to the current high 20,000's

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:19 pm

700 yards of fishing line, some small fishing weights, and a few fishing hooks. < $5

Knock-off Esbit from Wally World which I just wrote up a little review of comparing it to the real thing. < $5

Not pictured but just arrived, Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter, $25

Feeling pretty good since it's been ages since I bought much.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Lucked out today, Walmart was selling Merino Wool Socks at a huge discount, since it is summer. Picked up 4 pairs for $1.50 each.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:42 am

Adams manufactured piston upper with 14.5" lightweight barrel with permanently affixed flash hider and Samson EVO9EX handguard. Lower has an IMOD stock and a JP 4.5lb single stage trigger. All in for less than $650. [emoji16]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ashwednesday on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Suunto Clipper L/B NH

I have four on the way for building some small EDC kits

Singles for $14.95 and free shipping

http://su.factoryoutletstore.com/detail ... y_id=35090

buying 4 drops the price to $12.49 each

http://su.factoryoutletstore.com/detail ... y_id=35090

For Northern Hemisphere
Direction on Rotating Bezel in 10° Increments
Operable in Low Light with Luminescent Markings
Fastens to Strap, Sleeve, Map edge etc.
Liquid Filled Jewel Bearing

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:34 pm

I figured it was time to assemble a worthy and functional key chain so lately I've been working on that.

First up was a light. I was a bit torn between the Fenix E05, Nitecore Tube and the new Fenix UC01. I ended up going for the UC01 due to the wide beam. The Tube and E05 are good throwers but I tend to need up close illumination, without a hot spot. The UC01 is very uniform and soft, but still bright at 45 lumens.

I added a Spyderco bug and a Gerber Shard, too. Both excellent tools. The Bug is tiny, but very sharp. I don't know why I overlooked the Shard for so long, it's good in a pinch for prying and the drivers and bottle opener look handy.

Now I'm just waiting on a new carabiner in the mail and I should be set.

stbob

Post by stbob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Last edited by stbob on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:19 am

Casio Pathfinder watch I've had in my cart on Amazon for months. Dropped from $165 to $99. Got a neon green Esee Izula and the micarta handle on there too. Also picked up a USMC Improved Bivy on ebay for $59 that has a tear in the netting I'm going to repair.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Bahco Laplander with 9" blade
Eneloop AAA batteries

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 pm

It's not really buying, but when I cleared CIF for the final time (I retire from the Army at the end of the month), they only wanted back the MOLLE cases for the two IFAKs that I was issued.

I got to keep the (2 of each) CAT-T, Israeli bandage, tape, gauze, gloves, and airway tubes. It's all considered expendable.

Plus there's the standard pile of clothing items - basically anything that touches skin - silkies, waffle shirt, several pairs of gloves of various types, and eye pro.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:27 am

*UST emergency food rations
*25 12 gauge birdshot shells
*Upgraded tent pegs
*Collapsible camping bowl
*Sunscreen updated

All under $15 :clap:
Carl Sagan

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:17 am

Cold Steel Smatchet machete. basically a slightly lighter version of the OSS heavy knife/small sword. It replaces the cheapie generic stamped steel machete I had. The handle on that one broke the first time I went to use it. :gonk: The bamboo growing in my friend's yard is doomed, I tell you. Doooooooooooooomed! :clap:

“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 pm

A video recently by Canadian Prepper reminded me I needed to update my antibiotic preps as they were getting old even for the extended self life meds actually have. So I ordered some new ones. Info on uses from http://urbansurvivalsite.com/the-9-best ... tibiotics/ I used that list and DR Bones and Nurse Amy from Doom and Bloom's list as templates for what to order.

Fish Mox Forte Capsules 100 Count (Amoxicillin 500 mg) 2-Pack
Fish Mox - Capsules 100 Count (Amoxicillin 250 mg) - 2 Pack
Amoxicillin – This will handle most of the same types of bactiera as Cephalexin. It’s also safe for pregnant women and children and has very few side effects. However, some people are very allergic to it. In that case, you should try the next one on the list.
Fish Flex Capsules - 100 Count (Cephalexin 250 mg) - 2 Pack
Cephalexin – Great for almost any type of respiratory infection (bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throat, etc.) and middle ear infections. It is safe for pregnant women and children and only has a few side effects.
Fish Zole - Metronidazole 250 mg (60 Count)
Metronidazole – Usually used for getting rid of anaerobic bacteria which is found in the intestine. Like I said, it can treat diverticulitis or colitis if you take it with Ciprofloxacin. But it can also treat bacterial vaginosis, diabetic foot ulcer, joint or bone infections, lung or brain abscesses, meningitis, and a few other infections. This also shouldn’t be taken by children, pregnant women or nursing mothers.
Fish Cillin - Ampicillin 250 mg (100 Count)
Ampicillin – Similar to penicillin, but more effective against things like anthrax and less likely to cause an allergic reaction. Also useful for respiratory tract infections, bacterial meningitis, urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal infections and many other things.
Bird Sulfa 60 ct.(Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/ Trimethoprim 80mg)
SMZ-TMP – That is short for Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim. Together, these can treat most respiratory infections, but they’re mainly used for urinary tract infections. But the best thing about SMZ-TMP is it can treat MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), also known as resistant staph. This is a strain of bacteria that spreads easily and is resistant to most antibiotics.
Still want to get more, but that was a good start, Definitely need to add some Ciprofloxacin aka Fish Flox to work with the Metronidazole aka Fish Zole, but they are some of the higher priced fish antibiotics so I opted to hold off and buy more different types rather than the expensive one.

Also got my Original Bug Shirt Elite in camo today. These are awesome bug gear, and it folds up into it's own pouch.

Plus some Hurricane style lanterns from WT Kirkman. Since my last trip to my homestead I realize my one cheap Chinese one was just not enough.

2 Dietz #8 Air Pilot Cold Blast Lanterns

A W.T. Kirkman No. 2 "Champion" Lantern w/ Hooded Reflector (though I got the black finish)

A W.T. Kirkman No. 2P Champion Patio Lantern (which has a post attachment that secures to the base if you want to mount it on a post)

I also ordered 2 Dietz Homesteader lanterns from Lehaman's but they are on back order and haven't arrived yet. It has sides that open up with reflectors on them.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 am

Nice bug shirt. Got one last week myself.

New BOV for me yesterday. Now must sell old BOV.

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:53 am

modustollens wrote:Nice bug shirt. Got one last week myself.

New BOV for me yesterday. Now must sell old BOV.

MT
Congrats on your bug shirt, and new BOV.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:49 pm

ineffableone wrote:A video recently by Canadian Prepper
Found the video

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Picked up a Survivor Filter Pro, as well as the prefilter upgrade. I was interested in this because most filters out there are only 0.20 micron filters, which mean no virus protection, but this one is 0.01 micron. Originally it had a lifespan of about 264 gallons (1000 L) for the filters, but the new prefilter swaps out the the first stage cotton sediment filter with a 0.10 micron filter, which supposedly boosts the filter life to 26,420 Gallons (100,000 L).

One comment I saw in reviews was a concern for the durability of the pump shaft, but I contacted CS, and they said they only replaced 3 in the past year, and there actually is a metal rod in the middle of the plastic pump shaft. It's also a lifetime warranty. There was also another concern for lack of markings on the cup, but it wasn't hard to measure and mark out the ounces with a sharpie.

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:07 am

IOSAT:

https://www.amazon.com/iOSAT-Potassium- ... B00006NT3A

The local ARES chapter here is having a practice session over at the nuclear power plant near my home next week, and I am slated to be part of the practice disaster drill; so, out comes the radio and the radiation. Anyway, finally decided to get some iodine tablets in case there is real emergency one day. Picked up some for my whole family.

Should be an interesting day!

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 am

modustollens wrote:IOSAT:

https://www.amazon.com/iOSAT-Potassium- ... B00006NT3A

Anyway, finally decided to get some iodine tablets in case there is real emergency one day. Picked up some for my whole family.
Once you receive them please let us know of the quality of the packaging and the stamped expiration date.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”