What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

solrac7
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
28 days later

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by solrac7 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks - if I get busted in NYC, I'll have bigger problems than my lockpicks, BUT, it's good to know.
"I met a girl who sang the blues - asked her for some happy news - she just smiled and turned away..."

CCWman

Post by CCWman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I bought a new plate carrier and plates. https://lapolicegear.com/duty-patrol/bo ... riers.html

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Bought a Leatherman Squirt because even though I have a larger Leatherman Rev in my EDC satchel/purse, I have a cross body wallet/clutch I carry for short trips or when I leave the office for lunch and wanted something small to go on that. Pretty pleased with it.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:39 pm

The wife bought it for me to tuck into my preps stored in our Jeep: Böker Plus Snac Pac

While not as cool as my titanium spork, or as tacticool as my Ka-Bar Tactical Spork, this set does have the nice addition of salt & pepper shakers built into the cover. Usually, when she shops for things like this to give me she winds up buying stuff that kinda screams, "TV special offer". This set seems actually useful and durable.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Tremontina 18" machete.

I was at Lowe's getting a couple things, and swung by the scratch'n'dent shelf. There was a brand-new looking machete for $10, and I'd been thinking off and on about getting one in lieu of or addition to my hatchet. Bought it, brought it home, found out the sharpening machine must've been off because the 1-1.5" back from the tip was totally unsharpened.

15 minutes with an angle ginder and some DMT stones, and it's got an ugly-but-functional edge. Because it wasn't sharpened right initially and I didn't feel like working the point all the way back, I just turned the tip into a sort of mini-chisel point.

For 15 minutes and $10, I'm happy with my new machete. I need to add some sort of coarse stone to my pack for it; I think DMT makes a media/extra-coarse pocket stone, if so probably one of those.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm
Tremontina 18" machete.

I was at Lowe's getting a couple things, and swung by the scratch'n'dent shelf. There was a brand-new looking machete for $10, and I'd been thinking off and on about getting one in lieu of or addition to my hatchet. Bought it, brought it home, found out the sharpening machine must've been off because the 1-1.5" back from the tip was totally unsharpened.

15 minutes with an angle ginder and some DMT stones, and it's got an ugly-but-functional edge. Because it wasn't sharpened right initially and I didn't feel like working the point all the way back, I just turned the tip into a sort of mini-chisel point.

For 15 minutes and $10, I'm happy with my new machete. I need to add some sort of coarse stone to my pack for it; I think DMT makes a media/extra-coarse pocket stone, if so probably one of those.
I use a belt sander and 200 grit belt for sharpening such things. If you don't already have one they're pretty cheap to buy.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm
boskone wrote:
Tremontina 18" machete.

I use a belt sander and 200 grit belt for sharpening such things. If you don't already have one they're pretty cheap to buy.
I've got a HF table top belt sander with disc sander on the side. Perfect tool for that job. But I use mine a lot for all sorts of things.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm
boskone wrote:
Tremontina 18" machete.

I'd like one, but haven't gotten one yet. Partly because I'm running short on shop space, mostly because I'm trying to avoid buying too many new things.

My parents would happily let me store pretty much whatever I want at their place, but...well, they live way over near Chimp and CG's AO, and driving halfway across Texas to find my belt grinder would be damned inconvenient. ;)

I could have used my Work Sharp, though, had I thought of it. Eh, well; the grinder and little vise were already out from sharpening my lawnmower blade.

SpecWar

Post by SpecWar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Been on a stove buying binge. Several MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stoves (on sale), couple of MSR XGK-EX stoves with a couple of maintenance kits each. Still looking for the right pot/cup combo. Picking up odd and ends items to complete several kits for the vehicles. Changing out my summer bags and totes for winter...
For those who fight for it, LIFE has a special flavor the protected never know--- Khe Sahn, "68" Unknown Marine

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 am

Small solar panel and phone charger battery.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:08 am

wolf_from_wv wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 am
Small solar panel and phone charger battery.
Same here. I got a RAV Power setup. 28,600-whatever. It's heavy.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 am

Mine is a GoalZero Nomad 5
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-pan ... lar-panel/

I have a couple batteries that plug into it https://www.goalzero.com/shop/flip-fami ... recharger/ .

And one of these https://www.goalzero.com/shop/recharger ... ower-bank/ for regular batteries.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Spec Ops Combat Master Long sheath to hold my Becker BK-5.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Return to “Bug Out Gear”